Kodi Community Forum
User experiences so far with the dx builds of xbmc - share them here.. - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: User experiences so far with the dx builds of xbmc - share them here.. (/showthread.php?tid=57681)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47

- dj_gerbil - 2009-10-27

Dam0 Wrote:my p4 3ghz also lags with dx version,yet runs 720p clean as a whistle on gl

me thinks dx just needs to mature a little b4 its ready for older hardware.

maybe dx version relies more on decent gpu then gl does?

Dam0

Ok, now this is very interesting.

My 2 machines are:
Acer Laptop with 2.2Ghz AMD Turion(Single Core not the AM2) with 1.5Gig of Ram and GeForce 6600 Go sharing 256Mb of the system ram Duel Boot between XP and Windows 7 Wireless Network

Dell Optiplex with P4 3Ghz (No HT) 1Gig of ram and a GeForce 5200 with 128Mb running XP Wired Network

Now both machines run the GL versions well but then it gets strange.

The Dell has choppy video playback on the DX version
The Acer has choppy video playback on DX version in Windows 7 but perfect playback in XP.

Windows 7 I can understand having problems with as I've heard it likes a minimum of 2Gb to run smoothly but as playback is ok in XP but not on the Dell then I'm wondering if its the amount on Video Ram available. Dam0 how much video ram hae you got?

- patkhoo - 2009-10-27

OK, I've got a strange problem:

* Previously, I had "G.I. Joe - The Rise of Cobra" in the movie library. This is an SD Xvid version in AVI. I had scraped everything (poster/fanart/extrathumbs/nfo/..) with Ember Media Manager before. Everything works fine.

* Today, I updated the files to a new HD MKV version. I re-scraped with Ember, making sure I updated MetaData/Nfo/etc etc. But I kept the existing fanart/posters. New extrathumbs though.

* Then I go into XBMC, browse to G.I. Joe, click "info", then click on "Reload" (Movie).

* XBMC goes off and does some "Importing new blah blah" as you would expect, but then hangs. ALT-TAB etc works, but pressing various buttons on my remote does not. Suddenly, XBMC quits.

* Reload XBMC, and now there are two G.I. Joes in the library, and they (at a glance) look identical - except one of them has a "Watched" flag on it and the other does not. So I remove both from the library, and rescan library. G.I. Joe comes back (without the watched flag) and everything is fine.

This is version SVN 24059 DX. Log file is here. (Can't really reproduce this problem since I've already deleted the original AVIs Rolleyes)

Anyone ever see this problem before?

- patkhoo - 2009-10-27

dj_gerbil Wrote:Ok, now this is very interesting.

My 2 machines are:
Acer Laptop with 2.2Ghz AMD Turion(Single Core not the AM2) with 1.5Gig of Ram and GeForce 6600 Go sharing 256Mb of the system ram Duel Boot between XP and Windows 7 Wireless Network

Dell Optiplex with P4 3Ghz (No HT) 1Gig of ram and a GeForce 5200 with 128Mb running XP Wired Network

Now both machines run the GL versions well but then it gets strange.

The Dell has choppy video playback on the DX version
The Acer has choppy video playback on DX version in Windows 7 but perfect playback in XP.

Windows 7 I can understand having problems with as I've heard it likes a minimum of 2Gb to run smoothly but as playback is ok in XP but not on the Dell then I'm wondering if its the amount on Video Ram available. Dam0 how much video ram hae you got?

What kind of videos are you trying to play? Normal SD? Or some HD MKV? If it is HD MKV, I think the Dell would not do as well compared to the Acer. I used to have a P4 3.2 myself and w/o FFDshow-MT or CoreAVC, HD MKVs tend-ed to suffer from time to time under MPC-HC. I think Core2 Duos are the minimum when it comes to HD MKVs. That said, YMMV.

I suggest you try playing the same video(s) with MPC-HC on the same machines/environments to check if your HW is OK. If your HW is OK, try updating latest video drivers and DirectX August 2009.

- joshuass - 2009-10-27

Man, these DX builds get better and better. I just updated lastnight, and movies seemed to be playing a bit smoother. Also, the GUI seemed to be a bit snappier too. No troubles with MKV with digital audio, either.

Love it!

- uncertainty - 2009-10-27

patkhoo Wrote:OK, I've got a strange problem:

* Then I go into XBMC, browse to G.I. Joe, click "info", then click on "Reload" (Movie).

Not sure about the system hanging but keep in mind if you change the name of the movie in anyway (ie in this case you went from .avi to .mkv) then reload will not work. You need to instead do a library update.

- Dullie - 2009-10-27

joshuass Wrote:Man, these DX builds get better and better. I just updated lastnight, and movies seemed to be playing a bit smoother. Also, the GUI seemed to be a bit snappier too. No troubles with MKV with digital audio, either.

Love it!

Glad to hear.. Are you using 24041 DX..?

- paco - 2009-10-27

joshuass Wrote:Man, these DX builds get better and better. I just updated lastnight, and movies seemed to be playing a bit smoother. Also, the GUI seemed to be a bit snappier too. No troubles with MKV with digital audio, either.

Love it!

I couldn't agree more! I downloaded SVN 24059 and I almost shed a tear when I saw Milkdrop with presets working perfectly on DirectX. The OpenGL versions used to disable Aero whenever they ran while the DX versions integrate beautifully.

Milkdrop + Pause bug Eliminated + DX = Awesome!

- patkhoo - 2009-10-27

uncertainty Wrote:Not sure about the system hanging but keep in mind if you change the name of the movie in anyway (ie in this case you went from .avi to .mkv) then reload will not work. You need to instead do a library update.

Oh is it? I didn't realize that.. I have movies organised by folder (one movie to a folder), and I didn't change the name of the folder or file - except of course, the file extension went from .avi to .mkv.. I always thought that it would be irrelevant to XBMC since the movie entry in the database is essentially the same thing..

Anyway, it is no big deal.. I will just "remove" the old movie, then do a library update again in the future.

- dj_gerbil - 2009-10-27

patkhoo Wrote:What kind of videos are you trying to play? Normal SD? Or some HD MKV?
Unfortunately they are SD avi's so they should play really easily.

patkhoo Wrote:If it is HD MKV, I think the Dell would not do as well compared to the Acer.
That's interesting as I've found in the past its usually the other way round.

patkhoo Wrote:I used to have a P4 3.2 myself and w/o FFDshow-MT or CoreAVC, HD MKVs tend-ed to suffer from time to time under MPC-HC. I think Core2 Duos are the minimum when it comes to HD MKVs. That said, YMMV.

I suggest you try playing the same video(s) with MPC-HC on the same machines/environments to check if your HW is OK. If your HW is OK, try updating latest video drivers and DirectX August 2009.
I actually used the same file for testing on all three. The video drivers are the latest and DX is just the DLL, but its from the latest release.

- joshuass - 2009-10-27

Quote:Milkdrop + Pause bug Eliminated + DX = Awesome!

Paco you mentioned "pause bug". Do you mean the issue with pausing a video with digital audio would cause a pure virtual function call and crash XBMC?

And I believe the version I am using is 24041. Don't remember exactly.

Freeze on shutdown - Louike - 2009-10-27

if anyone is interested: xmbc-dx freezes on shutdown (quit) when using a gateway like 1.2.3.4 to stay away from internet. (gl builds dont). if you remove it entirely, it works again.

I use batch files to connect to internet because my htpc is only used for local video streaming managed by MIP.

- paco - 2009-10-27

joshuass Wrote:Paco you mentioned "pause bug". Do you mean the issue with pausing a video with digital audio would cause a pure virtual function call and crash XBMC?

And I believe the version I am using is 24041. Don't remember exactly.
Changeset [24004] by charlydoes
"fixed": crash pausing video when passthrough active (workaround guisounds …

Yup that was the notorious issue that was introduced months ago. My workaround since that bug was to remap the pause button to 'p' (instead of 'spacebar'). Some people disabled the Navigation sounds but I find XBMC dull without some Navigation feedback.

- joshuass - 2009-10-27

OH EXCELLENT Shocked
That one was a royal pain. So glad its fixed.

- azido - 2009-10-27

joshuass Wrote:OH EXCELLENT Shocked
That one was a royal pain. So glad its fixed.

was it? it didn't hurt me to pause with triggering "play" Wink

- uncertainty - 2009-10-27

azido Wrote:was it? it didn't hurt me to pause with triggering "play" Wink

LOL, I was thinking the same...heh