Kodi Community Forum
User experiences so far with the dx builds of xbmc - share them here.. - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: User experiences so far with the dx builds of xbmc - share them here.. (/showthread.php?tid=57681)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47

- Carlos ze Dwarf - 2010-01-21

StarChild Wrote:Hehe same as me.. I updated to r27020 and excited as I was I thought the problem was gone and wrote it here. But It wasn't, thats why I deleted my previously post.
So the problem remains. I also just updated the nvidia driver to v196.21 x64 without any luck.

I also played around in nvidias control panel allot with different settings without any progress.

@carlos ze Dwarf: did you restart XBMC in those 4 hours?

I think im will create a ticket soon if I dont find anything that could affect this.
No i did not restart xbmc, i just booted it right after install and kept it on until i went to bed :o

This lack of stability with dual screen is just a pain... This is the DirectX/OpenGL drivers fault or nvidia? Do people with ATI cards have these problems too?

Can't believe we're in 2010 and something like dual display is so unbelievably "fragile". =[

My experience tonight with same build:
After boot the UI was slow with drops to 28/29fps (which is so nice with a cpu average of 15% lol), and video had stuttering.
After trying a few new options in setup, i ended up switching audio from digital to analog, and while the UI kept having the slowdowns, video playback got smooth again!
after i switched audio back again to digital video playback was still smooth (for example i watched a entire 720p MKV episode of 'the office' without a slowdown, then played some music, back to a 25fps 720p MKV which played again smoothly).

Then turned off xbmc, turn it on again.
first vid played had horrible stuttering No

For UI, i found the only to get it smooth @ 60fps is uncheck the "use fullscreen window instead of true fullscreen" which will prevent using auto refresh rate of course...

Right now, the only way i found to get the "whole package" (proper vid playback with auto refresh rate along with digital audio and keep a smooth UI) is this: in setup change to true fullscreen and analog audio, go back to play a video.
Then switch back to digital audio and windowed fullscreen, and it should stay nice in both UI and vid playback. Also make sure no one is going to touch the mouse mouse back on the PC as slowdowns will come right back Laugh

- StarChild - 2010-01-21

Yeah, real fullscreen will fix the gui for me to. Will test your other tip later when I get home.

EDIT: I also have thought of that its just Nvidia people that have wrote her.
newg, Carlos ze Dwarf, and me.. all Nvidia.
So.. it there is someone with ATI and read this, problems or not, please step forward.

- skepti - 2010-01-22

Exactly the same here. I am using a geforce 6600go (182.xxx driver) with 9.11 on an PAL 1360x786 LCDTV.

- ashlar - 2010-01-22

Could we please close this thread? At 68 pages, with the official release being DX... I think it seriously outlived its usefulness.

- skepti - 2010-01-22

At last to all with this prob. In GL newest rev the same until i change the skin to xtv. Now its runs.

- voip-ninja - 2010-01-22

ashlar Wrote:Could we please close this thread? At 68 pages, with the official release being DX... I think it seriously outlived its usefulness.

How so? It seems that many of us are experiencing laggy/choppy UI and video playback in these DX builds.

I need to run XBMC on a 2nd display as non "true" fullscreen so I can continue using the 1st display for other work... the result is very slow/choppy UI performance and 30-40% CPU utilization on a 2.2ghz dual core machine just playing back 480P video.

Hardly seems like the thread has outlived its usefulness when some of these issues have not yet been resolved.

- Carlos ze Dwarf - 2010-01-22

Maybe we could just close this one and open an other, more specific thread about problems with slowdown on dual display? Smile

- ashlar - 2010-01-23

voip-ninja Wrote:Hardly seems like the thread has outlived its usefulness when some of these issues have not yet been resolved.
You don't get it. You have a whole FORUM to speak about what is now the only official release for the Windows OS. A single thread with all things related to DX is a non-sense.

XBMC DX *is* XBMC for Windows. There's a whole forum dedicated to bugs, help and troubleshooting. This is a single thread inside that forum. And at 68 pages it's ridiculous. When it was started, DX was in its infancy and not the officially supported version, hence the need for a dedicated thread back then.

- StarChild - 2010-01-23

Yeah, but now we have started this conversation about the 2nd display here, and I don't want to loose any value information by starting a new thread. Maybe a OP could cut & past these posts to a new tread instead?

Cheers

- Buckster - 2010-01-24

can't find a GL thread

but as an experiement downloaded the latest GL SVN an its absolutely superb

the L3 Optimised upscaling finally (in my opinion) makes DVDs look superb natively within XBMC Smile well done devs

- ashlar - 2010-01-24

Buckster Wrote:the L3 Optimised upscaling finally (in my opinion) makes DVDs look superb natively within XBMC Smile well done devs
That's available in DX too.

- Carlos ze Dwarf - 2010-01-24

Scratch what i said before about using analog audio in order to get smooth video with auto refresh rate.
Yesterday, after 10 min of watching a video it started again Stare

Now that i've been focusing on this problem this whole week, trying every config possible, i just find that it is simply impossible to combine dual display and auto refresh rate properly. 24Hz mode can work at the beginning of playback but at best for several minutes. At one moment frames will drop and xbmc will never recover (which his frustrating when you see a cpu average of 20%...)

With true fullscreen, slowdowns do appear too and it can last more than 5 sec before recovering. I'm guessing the knowledgeable people will find it weird as true fullscreen should in theory work fine but no it doesn't.

It's only by using windowed full screen and disabling the matching framerate option that getting a smooth video playback is possible. Some very, very few slowdowns can happen but it's only once, as they go away right after.

The latest opengl build i could find (ikon's rev26880) does not give any improvement with my setup.

- Buckster - 2010-01-24

ashlar Wrote:That's available in DX too.

Smile great

what exactly is the difference between GL and DX varients please ? I seem to get smoother frame rates in GL version ?

(3.6 gig E7400 + 9400 nvidia)

anyway any element of sharpening can be added as well Smile (for content that doesn't need scaling)

- StarChild - 2010-01-25

@carlos ze Dwarf:
Yeah, I was trying to reproduce that with analog audio... but I couldn't.. I know why now Smile

- Smiff - 2010-01-30

Smiff Wrote:good:
my remote controller response is much better than it was with the opengl version (i used to get double keypresses, which required a key filter using ahk. now it just works.)

bad:
takes a long time to start videos with my external player now (zoomplayer starts instantly but xbmc seems to not want to get out of the way?!)

pleased to report i solved the latter problem accidentally, it was due to an overly complicated playercorefactory.xml - since i simplified the rules, it now seems to start playing videos almost instantly Smile