Compressed textures for FanArt - testing here with XBMC 2009-10-05 (r23431) or newer - Printable Version
+- XBMC Community Forum (http://forum.xbmc.org)
+-- Forum: Help and Support (/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: XBMC General Help and Support (/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+--- Thread: Compressed textures for FanArt - testing here with XBMC 2009-10-05 (r23431) or newer (/showthread.php?tid=59115)
- jmarshall - 2010-06-25 07:57
I can't say whether the dds files produced using some other tool will load or not, though I should think they would. If you're on windows, then there's been some recent changes to when various options (eg NPOT support) are set so that may have something to do with it.
At any rate, it's a different issue than XBMC-produced DDS images being rendered incorrectly.
- RazorFR - 2010-06-25 14:16
The xbmc dds conversion is working well, but
1. The process is quite cpu intensive (60% on e8400) . Not sure if picture library is also converted on the fly, but it may not be such a good idea.
2. Some dds are quite big, that's for sure. I have a lot of 8101kb here too.
3. After the whole process is completed at least for fanarts (same number of tbn and dds files), well, something somehow is killing the benefit of it. Actually navigation through library with dds enabled is even less smooth with dds than with tbn... That was really different with 28xxx and the old nvidia manual conversion where the Gui speed diffrenec was quite blatant.
I suspect it maybe related to the size of dds, but I am definitely no expert.
- IceNine - 2010-06-25 14:35
I finally decided to upgrade past the addon barrier to SVN31345, I got my preferred skin (Aeon65) working as an addon and my library remade. Now the problem I have is that XBMC crashes like a champ when I enable DDS support. I think it works ok if I use Confluence, but Aeon65 definitely has some issue with DDS. I also tried Legacy Dark, and that has the same issue.
I have a couple of crashlogs I will attach, but I think this is the relevant error:
I'm not sure if the skin is just not playing nice with Squish, but either way I wanted to report. If it looks to be a skin issue, is there anything I can pass along to the maker so this can get fixed?
I also had 2 more crashlogs with a different error, and I can't tell by the log if I was using Confluence at the time or not, but I will include them just in case they may be helpful.
- jmarshall - 2010-06-26 01:16
By the looks of it you have already compressed DDS images elsewhere that are being used as some sort of background image. Correct?
- IceNine - 2010-06-28 13:51
When I upgraded I deleted the .xbmc, so I thought that would take care of it. Apparently there were some in the folder I hold the images for my backgrounds in also. I removed those DDS files and hopefully that will work. I haven't enabled DDS support over the weekend, I'm still a little gunshy after losing my library three times in a row. I'll report back when I give it a try.
The same Error with SVN 31516 - BoBeRzE - 2010-06-30 19:52
i have try it again with XBMC Nightly SVN 31516. Fist of all i have delete all dds File, create the advancedsettings.xml and still have same errors. Here is a Screenshot.
The Debug Log
- jmarshall - 2010-07-01 01:23
1. Grab that .dds file and the corresponding .tbn - you can probably find it by examining the log (if it logs about loading the .tbn file, then it'll be actually loading the .dds equivalent)
2. See if it loads in something like Irfanview. Both should load fine (you may need to rename the .tbn to .jpg).
3. What are the dimensions of the original .tbn file?
4. What are the dimensions of the .dds file?
5. Upload both so that others can test them.
- BoBeRzE - 2010-07-01 21:03
Hi Jonathan and all others,
1. -> done
2. -> both pictures are fine in Irfanview
3. -> 1920 x 1080 (357.155 Bytes)
4. -> 1920 x 1080 (1.036.928 Bytes)
5. -> Original Fanart and DDS File
I have 78 movies in my database. XBMC has created 78 DDS files. All files are fine in Irfanview.
VGA Drivers are Up to Date.
I have browse my movie database. 58 of 78 files are broken in XBMC.
Quote:if it logs about loading the .tbn file, then it'll be actually loading the .dds equivalent
But in my log is no entry about loading a tbn file. In the Debug log i cant see a difference when XBMC is loading a "good" file or a broken file.
Here is my Debug Log
- furii - 2010-07-02 03:51
BoBeRzE Wrote:DDS File
not sure if this is the right way to test, but that image opens just fine in xbmc for me through the filemanager.
- jmarshall - 2010-07-02 04:04
DDS image loads fine in XBMC here. My guess is you suffer from a similar bug as discussed here:
Try setting <restrictcapsmask> to 4 in advancedsettings.xml.