Compressed textures for FanArt - testing here with XBMC 2009-10-05 (r23431) or newer - Printable Version
+- XBMC Community Forum (http://forum.xbmc.org)
+-- Forum: Help and Support (/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: XBMC General Help and Support (/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+--- Thread: Compressed textures for FanArt - testing here with XBMC 2009-10-05 (r23431) or newer (/showthread.php?tid=59115)
- rudeboyx - 2010-10-08 17:42
9.11 camelot is the last stable release. dds support is a new feature and as a result requires an SVN version of XBMC in order to use it.
- gabbott - 2010-10-08 17:44
rudeboyx Wrote:9.11 camelot is the last stable release. dds support is a new feature and as a result requires an SVN version of XBMC in order to use it.
why not just use dharma beta 2?
Although I think camelot should support it as well:
- prae5 - 2010-10-08 19:35
Pretty sure dds support wasn't supported in camelot, certainly automatic generation of images wasn't, you need a newer version (camelot is about 10 months old now).
Thirdparty builds such as sshcs are not supported or recommend.
To get the latest builds on your atv use this guide http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=67078
DDS images and 8gig thumbdrive= oops. - thnmnt - 2010-10-08 20:13
running dharma beta 2, crystal 3.6 off updated pin87a USB drive (8gig).
I turned on dds images using the advancedsettings.xml file and started going through my movies (450) and tv shows (30) to create the .dds files. I checked to see that they were being created and they were. It even ran nice and smooth - but then I rebooted.
when I rebooted, it was like a first time install of xbmc. my video calibration was all off, my smb shares had defaulted to 'workgroup', my audio was on analog/composite, my weather locations were gone etc.
my library was still there but half my tv shows had no images. I tried to re-add the images from my stored .nfo and .tbn (i.e. not from the internet) but this didn't work.
finally I decided to check the 8gb usb drive itself and discovered that it was 100% full. (/dev/sdb3 (used)100% avail(0%) )
so I used winSCP to go in and delete all the .dds files that had been created - which got me down to 79% full.
I'm including my xbmc.log but I've rebooted a few times so I don't think it will show the write errors when the disc was full but maybe someone will see something here.
I've managed to get things back to how I had them before but I've certainly learned something.
one thing I do know is that if you've got an 8gb thumb drive and a relatively large movie collection - you should NOT go for the .dds images.
btw..is there a single configuration file that I should be backing up in case this happens again? I'd much rather just copy a single file than have to go menu diving to get all my settings back.
edit: XBMC.OLD.LOG may have something useful in it so I'm adding it as well. I think some of the errors may be due to the fact that I hadn't realized my smb shares had been vaporized due to resetting my workgroup name.
- Flomaster - 2010-10-08 20:32
maybe upgrade to a 30 gig SSD drive when you have an extra Benjamin to spend
- Philmatic - 2010-10-08 21:37
You may want to expand pin's image to take up the whole 8GB thumbdrive, as it stands, it's only using 4GB unless you manually expanded it using something like parted.
- CrystalP - 2010-10-09 03:31
It's already done by default for skins, through the .xbt file.
File size - jlemus - 2010-10-09 04:18
Is there really a 5x increase in file size by doing this? I have about 1500 movies and am concerned that I may run out of space, specially on a small linux partition.
- brock_gonad - 2010-10-09 06:10
I just went through this nightmare too. I guess I had filled up the drive to the point where it wouldn't complete booting or even let me into SSH any more.
Ended up wiping it and starting fresh on the internal HD, resizing the partitions properly this time!
- kurai - 2010-10-09 10:38
It will, naturally, vary depending on file content but - yes - files might gain that much size.
However - a 5x increase for a file would be unusual rather than the norm.
I just ran a comparison on my userdata\thumbnails dir (~33,000 files, ~4Gb) and the overall average increase where a .DDS had been converted was a little under 2x.