Kodi Community Forum
Compressed textures for FanArt - testing here with XBMC 2009-10-05 (r23431) or newer - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: OS independent / Other (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=228)
+---- Thread: Compressed textures for FanArt - testing here with XBMC 2009-10-05 (r23431) or newer (/showthread.php?tid=59115)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

- thedalmeny - 2010-02-03

Also:

Whether this is the easier way..

1. FTP onto my box.
2. Copy and paste the fanart folder to my Windows 7 PC
3. Use some kind of tool to batch convert all the .jpgs to dds

Anyknow know of tools that can do that or a batch converter

May be a stupid question but.. Where is the .zip for the MakeDDS.exe and convert.bat?

- jpennell - 2010-02-03

Didn't that post by jmarshall refer to the display of cached fanart as dds - i don't think it went as far as reading dds as the source fanart pics from the storage media, did it?

jpennell Wrote:Didn't that post by jmarshall refer to the display of cached fanart as dds - i don't think it went as far as reading dds as the source fanart pics from the storage media, did it?

Believe so..

I just want to be able to convert all the stuff in UserData/Thumbnails/Video/Fanart to .dds so it runs smoother, but there isn't any .zip attached to do it..

Sad

Nobody got the MakeDDS.exe and convert.bat then? really want to try this out to improve performance on my Acer Revo

- Marvel - 2010-02-03

Lol ive just tried compiling the makedds.exe file myself but i must be doing something wrong. Im also trying to convert my .tbns using the nvidia texture tools, but im not having much luck there either all i get is ".jpg is not a supported image". If i manage to get it sorted il post how i did it thedalmeny

Marvel Wrote:Lol ive just tried compiling the makedds.exe file myself but i must be doing something wrong. Im also trying to convert my .tbns using the nvidia texture tools, but im not having much luck there either all i get is ".jpg is not a supported image". If i manage to get it sorted il post how i did it thedalmeny

Hehe thanks!

Just be nice to have the MakeDDS.exe and convert.bat - as then it's just a fact of connecting to my Acer Revo.. Putting them inside the fanart folder and executing the batch file from my Windows PC, removes so much hassle.

At least that's the impression i've gotten?

I wonder where the .zip has gone from the thread.

- IceNine - 2010-02-03

thedalmeny, the .dds files are stored on the Acer but if you convert them on the Windows machine you will have to copy any new fanart from the Acer to the Windows machine, convert them, then copy them back any time you add anything new. The thread on compressed textures has directions on setting up the conversion tools and scripts directly on the Acer so you don't need to copy things back and forth.

It sounds like your Linux knowledge is pretty limited, so I will try to be as detailed as possible. Since you are running Live, which doesn't have much of a GUI past XBMC, download PuTTY to your Windows machine and connect to your Acer over the network using SSH (should be the default connection type, all you should need to put into PuTTY is the IP address of your Acer). I believe the username/password for Live is xbmc/xbmc once you get PuTTY running.

To download the installers for the Texture Tools and CUDA Tools, you can either download the .run files on your Windows machine and FTP them somewhere on your Acer, or if you are connected with PuTTY run these commands:

Code:
cd ~/
wget http://nvidia-texture-tools.googlecode.com/files/nvidia-texture-tools-2.0.7-1.tar.gz
wget http://developer.download.nvidia.com/compute/cuda/2_3/toolkit/cudatoolkit_2.3_linux_32_ubuntu9.04.run
tar -xvzf nvidia-texture-tools-2.0.7-1.tar.gz
sudo sh cudatoolkit_2.3_linux_32_ubuntu9.04.run
cd nvidia-texture-tools-2.0.7-1

That should get CUDA Tools installed and the Texture Tools code ready to compile. Then you should be able to follow the directions here exactly (except skip the CUDA Tools installation since you would have already done it) to get the Texture Tools installed and running. Once that is done, you can create a script (probably most easily done on your Windows machine, then FTP'd over) to automatically compress any new fanart you have into .dds format. Then, as long as you have <useddsfanart> enabled in your advancedsettings.xml you should be good to go. As of right now the script will still need to be run any time new fanart is added, but keep in mind this feature is still very early on in development.

EDIT: This conversation should be moving over to the original .dds thread, here.

- IceNine - 2010-02-03

thedalmeny Wrote:Hehe thanks!

Just be nice to have the MakeDDS.exe and convert.bat - as then it's just a fact of connecting to my Acer Revo.. Putting them inside the fanart folder and executing the batch file from my Windows PC, removes so much hassle.

At least that's the impression i've gotten?

I wonder where the .zip has gone from the thread.

This wouldn't actually work, the .dds files need to be made on your Acer machine. If they are on your Windows machine, XBMC won't copy them over. I have added some additional instructions to your other thread here.

EDIT: Here is the other post, just to keep everything together.

thedalmeny, the .dds files are stored on the Acer but if you convert them on the Windows machine you will have to copy any new fanart from the Acer to the Windows machine, convert them, then copy them back any time you add anything new. The thread on compressed textures has directions on setting up the conversion tools and scripts directly on the Acer so you don't need to copy things back and forth.

It sounds like your Linux knowledge is pretty limited, so I will try to be as detailed as possible. Since you are running Live, which doesn't have much of a GUI past XBMC, download PuTTY to your Windows machine and connect to your Acer over the network using SSH (should be the default connection type, all you should need to put into PuTTY is the IP address of your Acer). I believe the username/password for Live is xbmc/xbmc once you get PuTTY running.

To download the installers for the Texture Tools and CUDA Tools, you can either download the .run files on your Windows machine and FTP them somewhere on your Acer, or if you are connected with PuTTY run these commands:

Code:
cd ~/Downloads
wget http://nvidia-texture-tools.googlecode.com/files/nvidia-texture-tools-2.0.7-1.tar.gz
wget http://www.nvidia.com/object/thankyou.html?url=/compute/cuda/2_3/toolkit/cudatoolkit_2.3_linux_32_ubuntu9.04.run

That should get CUDA Tools installed and the Texture Tools code ready to compile. Then you should be able to follow the directions here exactly (except skip the CUDA Tools installation since you would have already done it) to get the Texture Tools installed and running. Once that is done, you can create a script (probably most easily done on your Windows machine, then FTP'd over) to automatically compress any new fanart you have into .dds format. Then, as long as you have <useddsfanart> enabled in your advancedsettings.xml you should be good to go. As of right now the script will still need to be run any time new fanart is added, but keep in mind this feature is still very early on in development.

- IceNine - 2010-02-03

Marvel Wrote:Lol ive just tried compiling the makedds.exe file myself but i must be doing something wrong. Im also trying to convert my .tbns using the nvidia texture tools, but im not having much luck there either all i get is ".jpg is not a supported image". If i manage to get it sorted il post how i did it thedalmeny

I'm assuming you have the Texture Tools installed on your Acer? Did you follow my directions to install it from earlier in this thread? In my experience the Texture Tools will give that error if either it wasn't compiled with JPEG support (which happens if you don't have the right JPEG libraries when you compile the software from source) or if it's not pointed at the right file. If you follow the install directions I posted and use one of the conversion scripts in this thread it should work fine.

Replied in other thread ---- As probabley better to keep that subject in that thread.

IceNine Wrote:This wouldn't actually work, the .dds files need to be made on your Acer machine. If they are on your Windows machine, XBMC won't copy them over. I have added some additional instructions to your other thread here.

EDIT: Here is the other post, just to keep everything together.

Code:
cd ~/Downloads
wget http://www.nvidia.com/object/thankyou.html?url=/compute/cuda/2_3/toolkit/cudatoolkit_2.3_linux_32_ubuntu9.04.run

If we keep it all here i guess since this thread best covers the subject Smile

To understand it right..

I would copy UserData/Thumbnails/Video/Fanart from my Acer Revo to my Windows PC.

Put MakeDDS.exe and Convert.bat into UserData/Thumbnails/Video/Fanart that i've copied to my Windows, then execute the convert.bat and after completion - copy / overwrite UserData/Thumbnails/Video/Fanart to my Acer Revo?

See i'm fine with that if i can find the MakeDDS.exe and Convert.bat, do u have them by any chance?

I appreciate your little guide, and i may try it out soon. As it seems pretty easy to follow, you could point out by quote of the instruction at what point i would start on that post.. As it talks about stuff like cuba libraries and stuff, and i dunno whether that's cover in the bit you put here.

But even now, i dunno whether i could completely follow all that. Probabley looks more complicated than it really is though. It's like i need a "Stupid" proof version of that guide, which just tells me exactly what to hit on the keyboard and when lol.

I understand if that's to much to ask, since tbh looks like it may take a long time to make a more newb proof guide.

I really am a pure idiot when it comes to linux i'm afraid, but i very much appreciate the help .

- IceNine - 2010-02-03

You are correct, you would need to copy all of the .tbn files from the Fanart folder on your Acer to your Windows machine, convert them all, then copy the .dds files back to the Acer. Then you would enable <useddsfanart>. Unfortunately I don't have a copy of MakeDDS.exe, I've never actually even seen it. I have used the nVidia Texture Tools (Windows version) on my Windows machine though and know it works, so that is the way I would suggest you go. Once you have that installed, you can use this batch script

Code:
ren *.tbn *.jpg
for %%x in (*.jpg) do "C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NVIDIA Texture Tools 2\bin\nvcompress.exe" -fast -bc1 %%x
ren *.jpg *.tbn

in the folder where all your .tbn files are, then copy the .dds files back to your Acer. You'll want to keep both the .tbn and .dds files on your Acer, XBMC is going to remake the .tbn files anyway if you delete them. Hopefully this will be a bit easier for you, and don't forget that eventually this will be an official feature of XBMC and we won't have to go through all this to use it. Until then, maybe I will see if I can make an instructional video on how to do this before the devs make it automatic. Smile

IceNine Wrote:You are correct, you would need to copy all of the .tbn files from the Fanart folder on your Acer to your Windows machine, convert them all, then copy the .dds files back to the Acer. Then you would enable <useddsfanart>. Unfortunately I don't have a copy of MakeDDS.exe, I've never actually even seen it. I have used the nVidia Texture Tools (Windows version) on my Windows machine though and know it works, so that is the way I would suggest you go. Once you have that installed, you can use this batch script

Code:
ren *.tbn *.jpg
for %%x in (*.jpg) do "C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NVIDIA Texture Tools 2\bin\nvcompress.exe" -fast -bc1 %%x
ren *.jpg *.tbn

in the folder where all your .tbn files are, then copy the .dds files back to your Acer. You'll want to keep both the .tbn and .dds files on your Acer, XBMC is going to remake the .tbn files anyway if you delete them. Hopefully this will be a bit easier for you, and don't forget that eventually this will be an official feature of XBMC and we won't have to go through all this to use it. Until then, maybe I will see if I can make an instructional video on how to do this before the devs make it automatic. Smile

Thankyou very much for that.

Yeah i think for user like me, the more laborious and manual way is probably the best idea for now.

I think on a weekend though i may have a look at ya guide, as i think if i spent some time with it i could manage it. Particularly if i do see a substantial benefit in performance once i convert tonight.

Be nice when it's an official feature of XBMC, i mean i've always loved XBMC on my xbox (friend modded / installed it for me).. But moving to Xbox Live on the Revo, it's a whole different / better experience.

Thanks again and i'll keep an eye on this thread anyway to see if u do eventually post a video .

- Marvel - 2010-02-03

I couldn't get the 64 bit nvidia texture tools working with the supplied batch file on Windows 7 x64, switched over to the 32 bit texture tools and it worked first time grrr Smile

Thanks for all the info and help Icenine.

Right im off to watch my fanarts load in an instant