Kodi Community Forum
[MOD] xTV SAF (Spouse Acceptance Factor) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Skins Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=67)
+---- Forum: AppTV (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=76)
+---- Thread: [MOD] xTV SAF (Spouse Acceptance Factor) (/showthread.php?tid=59576)

- pecinko - 2011-01-19

wyrm Wrote:pecinko,
major differences between a Gen1 and Gen2. The Original Gen1 AppleTV UI is basically what xTV is based on.

You misunderstood me, I was referring to ATV1 take 2

Instead of Xbmc logo there could be usual movies, music... icons:

- zebraitis - 2011-01-19

pecinko Wrote:You misunderstood me, I was referring to ATV1 take 2

Well, I just to a look at that that skin at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vI-sruv5lAM

And, for me, not to upset anyone, I have to say it's... inelegant.

I think that using a popup menu like that in xTV SAF would take away from the clean capabilities of it.

However, I am but a humble user, provideing his simple opinion... Wink

- wyrm - 2011-01-20

pecinko Wrote:You misunderstood me, I was referring to ATV1 take 2

Instead of Xbmc logo there could be usual movies, music... icons:
pecinko,

Yep you were right, I misunderstood you. I might have to have a look at this. Just be aware this is sometime in the future as it will involve quite a bit of work. But thanks for the suggestion, I will give it some serious consideration.

Wyrm

- pecinko - 2011-01-20

@wyrm

Can I ask what's the target audience for xTV SAF - mostly xbox or mostly pc?

- wyrm - 2011-01-20

zebraitis Wrote:OK, what I would REALLY like is this:
So...

1) Add a "Music Button links to library" in in System / Settings / Skin/ Media Sources (for consistancy)
Yes, that sounds reasonable. But I need to investigate this some more. Probably not something for the short term.
Quote:2) From the main menu, have the menu item have the option of going straight into "Library List by title" or "source", based on that setting in System / Settings / Skin/ Media Sources
Now that one is going to take some convincing that it would be a good idea. At any rate that would be quite a while into the future.
Quote:3) Have the ">" of a main menu item bring up the menu for library options (that you may be able to copy from Music, the same menu which would appear if you select ".." after loading a complete library).
Again this would take some convincing as this would completly change the current meaning of ">" in the skin (more to follow). In defence of your idea, there are areas of the skin where this does not apply so the UI is NOT consistent across the whole UI (which is a really BAD thing as far as UI's go)
Quote:4) Have ">" be a toggle option (on/off) in your skin setting page.
This is more likely to happen than 3), but all of your suggestions are NOT going to happen right away. The XBox guys have had a new release, but the Non XBox guys have yet to see the new release, so that is the number one priority at this stage

Quote:P.S. Final suggestion: If you 1) put your Tango Blue theme in the main skin download and 2) had that as the main color when the skin starts, you would likely have more folks download and keep the skin, as it does appear a lot more "friendly... but that's just one guy's opinion.
Sorry, I don't really like the idea of that at all. I like the plain (at least when not displaying a fan-art background image) background as these other themes look too busy. With the new script for downloading and installing themes it is REALLY easy to change the theme to something that you like (and probably something that others don't). Most people would most probably change it once and never change it again (at least other than when I am testing, I don't tend to change settings very much at all).

Don't be discouraged as you are one of the few people using the skin that has taken the time to make any suggestions. I want to quickly get out another minor release and then get to work on some more interesting features.

Wyrm

- wyrm - 2011-01-20

pecinko Wrote:@wyrm

Can I ask what's the target audience for xTV SAF - mostly xbox or mostly pc?
pecinko,

Not platform so much as Non sophisticated users (BIG note : Non sophisticated != Stupid). My Wife is far from stupid (she is a field tech for our countries science research organisation), but does not appreciate complexity when it is not required. I'm a huge believer in the idea of the skin is there to help play my media and then get out of the way. XBMC is not there to show off my skin, it's there to play the media.

I develop the skin on a Windows XP box and it's used around here on my XBox. But I think that trying to code for the xbox means that the skin is very light weight and probably a pretty good fit for low speced systems (ION's, AppleTV's etc).

(Well wasn't that funny, guess I will find out soon how the skin runs on my new AppleTV. Can't see any reason why it should not run just FINE on this new platform)

Wyrm

- pecinko - 2011-01-21

wyrm Wrote:Not platform so much as Non sophisticated users (BIG note : Non sophisticated != Stupid). My Wife is far from stupid (she is a field tech for our countries science research organisation), but does not appreciate complexity when it is not required. I'm a huge believer in the idea of the skin is there to help play my media and then get out of the way. XBMC is not there to show off my skin, it's there to play the media.

If I understand you rightly, you're talking about easy and logical navigation and use, lightweight and elegant interface, without a support for, say, different scripts that most sophisticated users are after? Lightweight interface should allow it to run on xbox or alike, but thats just a bonus you get with skin that's not overcrowded. Or am I all astray?

- wyrm - 2011-01-22

pecinko Wrote:If I understand you rightly, you're talking about easy and logical navigation and use, lightweight and elegant interface, without a support for, say, different scripts that most sophisticated users are after? Lightweight interface should allow it to run on xbox or alike, but thats just a bonus you get with skin that's not overcrowded. Or am I all astray?
pecinko,

Yep, pretty well what you said, and I hope one day to get there. I think there still is a lot to be done about the consistency of the user experience, but is certainly much better than some of my earlier releases. As to the support of various scripts, that's a work in progress. I hope at some stage to support things like the recentlyadded script, the TVlogos script, TVTunes script and anything else that I can add in a non cluttering and consistent manner.

Other than my current beta tester Smiff, I'm a one man band, so things take time. This is the main reason I am forever harping on about feedback. If I don't know that something is not right I can't fix it. It always seems the only time I find out about problems is right AFTER I make a new release, which really is the wrong time to find out.

Right at the moment I just want to play with my AppleTV (Gen2), but don't want to leave the skin unfinished. I have the logic of changing the library entry point working, it's just the buttons in the settings menu that are giving me grief. So hopefully once I square that away I can make a new release and then go play for a bit.

Wyrm

- pecinko - 2011-01-22

wyrm Wrote:Other than my current beta tester Smiff, I'm a one man band, so things take time. This is the main reason I am forever harping on about feedback. If I don't know that something is not right I can't fix it. It always seems the only time I find out about problems is right AFTER I make a new release, which really is the wrong time to find out.

I'm not sure if are views are fully compatible, but they seam to be to a great extent. We could try to join forces if they prove so. Maybe I can send you what I have been able to come up so far so you & your lady can have a look. It's still WIP, rough around edges and there are several windows missing, but it's usable. You'll have to sign NDA, though :-)

I hope you have some way of testing other than on xbox. As I don't own one, I'm unsure what's needed to make skin xbox compatible. I don't own ATV2 yet, but I would be very interested in test results on that little beast.

EDIT: Of course it's absolutely fine if you would rather stick to you project and future improvements of it and not willing to change existing stuff much.

- lipo - 2011-01-23

just a suggestion for next release
maybe you can add option to disable mirror image/reflection icon on list view, the main icon is big enough. i think it will it would give saf cleaner look on list view
thanks

- wyrm - 2011-01-23

pecinko Wrote:I'm not sure if are views are fully compatible, but they seam to be to a great extent. We could try to join forces if they prove so. Maybe I can send you what I have been able to come up so far so you & your lady can have a look. It's still WIP, rough around edges and there are several windows missing, but it's usable. You'll have to sign NDA, though :-)

I hope you have some way of testing other than on xbox. As I don't own one, I'm unsure what's needed to make skin xbox compatible. I don't own ATV2 yet, but I would be very interested in test results on that little beast.

EDIT: Of course it's absolutely fine if you would rather stick to you project and future improvements of it and not willing to change existing stuff much.
pecinko,

Have sent you a PM, but sure never afraid to see what other people are doing. And while there are certain parts of the skin I am pretty happy with, there is certainly room for improvement in a lot of areas (I'm sure there are a number of views that could do with some work).

Wyrm

- wyrm - 2011-01-23

lipo Wrote:just a suggestion for next release
maybe you can add option to disable mirror image/reflection icon on list view, the main icon is big enough. i think it will it would give saf cleaner look on list view
thanks
lipo,

definitely not for the next release, but possible for the next major release. I have to say that I am not really in love with the reflection of the icons, but how do others feel about it? Should I keep the reflection or would it just be better to tone down the reflection so that it is not quite so bright?

Wyrm

- Sharpe - 2011-01-25

Yeah I think keep the reflections (they look good against the stark clean black background) just need a bit of a diffuse mask applied I reckon - kinda like the coverflow one.

- wyrm - 2011-01-25

Sharpe Wrote:Yeah I think keep the reflections (they look good against the stark clean black background) just need a bit of a diffuse mask applied I reckon - kinda like the coverflow one.
Sharpe,

Hey buddy good to hear from you. Yea on reflection that was what I thought I would do. Kind of busy at the moment as I managed late last night to sort out a problem with the UI part of adding alternate entry points to the library. Will spend the next day or so cleaning things up so that I can make a new release (Non Xbox people will get a chance to see all of the changes from v1.0.0). Once I have done that will be the first thing fixed (watch the SVN for those on the bleeding edge).

Wyrm

- wyrm - 2011-01-25

Guy's,

Just checked this reflection issue and there is already a diffuse in place to fade the thumb reflection. What's more I use the exact same diffuse in list view as I use in coverflow. I will try changing the transparency level for this diffuse and see if that helps. Stay tuned.

Wyrm