Kodi Community Forum
[MOD] xTV SAF (Spouse Acceptance Factor) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Skins Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=67)
+---- Forum: AppTV (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=76)
+---- Thread: [MOD] xTV SAF (Spouse Acceptance Factor) (/showthread.php?tid=59576)

- CHI3f - 2011-10-20

I would also like to thank you for keeping this skin alive. I have been out of the game for a long time and I was really surprised to see the xTV section of the forum still alive. I have just started using XBMC again and since I just recently lost my family I have been thinking of dabbling again since I have alot of free time on my hands once more.

- wyrm - 2011-10-21

CHI3f Wrote:I would also like to thank you for keeping this skin alive. I have been out of the game for a long time and I was really surprised to see the xTV section of the forum still alive. I have just started using XBMC again and since I just recently lost my family I have been thinking of dabbling again since I have alot of free time on my hands once more.
CHI3f,

Sorry about the circumstances of your return, but nice to see you back. Hope you like the small changes I have made to the skin. I have always enjoyed the elegant simplicity of the original AppleTV UI and your skin fit this UI onto XBMC beautifully. My changes have been mainly to make the skin compatible with the latest builds of XBMC (pre Eden at this stage) and to enhance the family friendly nature of the skin.

Wyrm (xTV-SAF) (Spouse Acceptance Factor)

Stop/Play Buttons - davidjpetersen - 2011-10-24

Hi love the skin looks and feels really nice thanks. Problem I have is its difficult to us the apple remote to stop currently playing media mainly music, in the new confluence vertical eden skin there is a little bar with all the relevant buttons required is there anyway for me to get that in this skin. Its not in any other skins either so I don't know if thats an easy option. Any way if someone could help me with this that would be great. I have a mac mini i7, and lion with remote buddy running.

Cheers
David Petersen

Issue with nigthtlies - bubbanc - 2011-10-25

I recently upgraded from xbmc-20111011 to xbmc-20111017 and am now missing the ".." at the top of the "TV Shows" menu. This isn't that bad, but I can't figure out how to get to "Files" to see things that didn't get added to the Library. Anyone know? Perhaps an advanced option I'm missing?

Thanks!

- wyrm - 2011-10-25

bubbanc Wrote:I recently upgraded from xbmc-20111011 to xbmc-20111017 and am now missing the ".." at the top of the "TV Shows" menu. This isn't that bad, but I can't figure out how to get to "Files" to see things that didn't get added to the Library. Anyone know? Perhaps an advanced option I'm missing?

Thanks!
bubbanc,

Not skin related, but something to do with XBMC itself. Goto settings menu and change setting "Appearance->File list->Show parent folder items" to on. If that does not help it may be something has changed in your advancedsettings.xml file (located in xbmc/userdata directory) to change xbmc behaviour.

Wyrm (xTV-SAF)

- wyrm - 2011-10-25

davidjpetersen Wrote:Hi love the skin looks and feels really nice thanks. Problem I have is its difficult to us the apple remote to stop currently playing media mainly music, in the new confluence vertical eden skin there is a little bar with all the relevant buttons required is there anyway for me to get that in this skin. Its not in any other skins either so I don't know if thats an easy option. Any way if someone could help me with this that would be great. I have a mac mini i7, and lion with remote buddy running.

Cheers
David Petersen
davidjpetersen,

I have considered adding something similar into this skin, but not sure how to keep something like this following the current theme. So it is being thought about, but not sure if or when it will happen. As a side note I have a design for a new skin that I am considering bringing out that has this sort of thing as a basic building block, so may appear in the future in a new skin.

Wyrm (xTV-SAF)

- davidjpetersen - 2011-10-25

Thanks for the response, its the only thing that holds me back from using this skin over the confluence skin - modded. I hear your issue over the skin flowing smoothly I thought that it could be an option that individual users could turn on or off and that the bar could just sit at the centre of either top or bottom of screen whether your in home screen, full screen view or party mode etc. Its really only for music when playing a movie you just hold the okay button an the options pop up. I too have a wife to please and a pregnant one at that. Anyway I know squat about creating my own skin and just enjoy the work of others who have more ability so thanks for everything all you guys do!

Cheers

- wyrm - 2011-10-25

davidjpetersen Wrote:Thanks for the response, its the only thing that holds me back from using this skin over the confluence skin - modded. I hear your issue over the skin flowing smoothly I thought that it could be an option that individual users could turn on or off and that the bar could just sit at the centre of either top or bottom of screen whether your in home screen, full screen view or party mode etc. Its really only for music when playing a movie you just hold the okay button an the options pop up. I too have a wife to please and a pregnant one at that. Anyway I know squat about creating my own skin and just enjoy the work of others who have more ability so thanks for everything all you guys do!

Cheers
davidjpetersen,

Ok, have not tried this but can't see why it would not work. If you are upto a little modifying of your remote file you can have a button bring up the skins player controls by adding this to your "joystick.AppleRemote.xml" file (not sure where located on Mac, but on my Win7 box it is in the XBMC/system/keymap dir)

PHP Code:
<Home>
    <
joystick name="AppleRemote">
      <
button id="6">XBMC.ActivateWindow(Favourites)</button>
      <
button id="8">ActivateWindow(shutdownmenu)</button>
      <
button id="12">ActivateWindow(PlayerControls)</button>
    </
joystick>
  </
Home
So what this section of code does is to add button id 12 (the play button on Apple remote) to the home menu button mappings. So hopefully when you press the play button on the home menu the skins player controls are displayed. Make sure that you make a copy of the file before you start messing with it (just in case you stuff something up) and make the change to the file with a text editor (buttons 6 and 8 should already be there). Advantage to using this is that it should then work for any skin, not just mine.

Now having said that I think I have a way to do something in the skin to achieve what you are after. I will have to have a play to make sure it works, but how do you feel about press left on home menu will bring up player controls. Will try to have something for the next time I make a push to my googlecode page and thus when Passion repo is next updated. Hopefully in about a week.

Wyrm (xTV-SAF)

- davidjpetersen - 2011-10-26

Cheers I really love the fact that people like yourself can be assed to help me out with my problems, almost makes me feel important lol. Anyway I adjusted remote budy to activate the osd with the play button instead of play/pause/. It works but not on all screens as for your idea about pressing left to bring up a controls that sounds ideal and look forward to seeing it. Your a champ.

Cheers
David Petersen

- wyrm - 2011-10-26

davidjpetersen Wrote:Cheers I really love the fact that people like yourself can be assed to help me out with my problems, almost makes me feel important lol. Anyway I adjusted remote budy to activate the osd with the play button instead of play/pause/. It works but not on all screens as for your idea about pressing left to bring up a controls that sounds ideal and look forward to seeing it. Your a champ.

Cheers
David Petersen
David,

Thats ok mate, just had to have a little think to come up with a solution. If you can come up with a spare key that is not used anywhere else you can use the posted solution to have the player controls come up everywhere. But that is the problem, I'm pretty sure that there are not too many spare keys (like none, pretty sure that every key on the Apple remote is used somewhere in XBMC). If you manage to find a spare key you can add it to the Global section of the remote file (just have a look thru the file you will find it).

As to the skin solution, I currently have the go left on home menu will bring up player controls working on the vertical form of the home menu. Will not be able to do this all thru the skin as go left does certain things in other screens already. Also as a skinner I can only check for a limited number of key presses (directions and select basically), so I'm limited in what I can do. Will continue to play with this to make sure I don't introduce any bugs, but failing any problems will be in next SVN push.

Wyrm (xTV-SAF)

- davidjpetersen - 2011-10-26

Hi again I'm such and idiot I should have just played around a bit more before bugging you. The letter "M" brings up the player control menu in all skins including xTV. So I just told Remote Buddy to map the key "m" to my play/pause button on the Apple Remote and its works perfectly in all skins. I'm now a happy guy I have your skin with controls an applescript to launch eyetv successfully and the wife can't really screw it up. Its going to be a good day. Thanks again for your help and keep up the good work.

Cheers David.

- bubbanc - 2011-10-28

wyrm Wrote:bubbanc,

Not skin related, but something to do with XBMC itself. Goto settings menu and change setting "Appearance->File list->Show parent folder items" to on. If that does not help it may be something has changed in your advancedsettings.xml file (located in xbmc/userdata directory) to change xbmc behaviour.

Wyrm (xTV-SAF)

Thanks, I should have checked another skin first. I verified that setting was set. Nothing has changed in my AdvancedSettings.xml either. I've even tried toggling it off/on. I even tried a nightly from last night and still got it (even with another skin). Perhaps it's a bug with the nighties themselves but nobody on their IRC channel seems to care, nor can I find any threads about it elsewhere. Oh well, thanks for the info either way! Smile

Update: Found a Trac on it: http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/12116 They are saying that there is no parent folder for TV Shows, so that's why its not showing it. So now I can't figure out how to get into Files... any ideas? Sad

- wyrm - 2011-10-28

bubbanc Wrote:Thanks, I should have checked another skin first. I verified that setting was set. Nothing has changed in my AdvancedSettings.xml either. I've even tried toggling it off/on. I even tried a nightly from last night and still got it (even with another skin). Perhaps it's a bug with the nighties themselves but nobody on their IRC channel seems to care, nor can I find any threads about it elsewhere. Oh well, thanks for the info either way! Smile

Update: Found a Trac on it: http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/12116 They are saying that there is no parent folder for TV Shows, so that's why its not showing it. So now I can't figure out how to get into Files... any ideas? Sad
bubbanc,

Yep, noticed the same thing just the other day(recent change to XBMC pre Eden). Anyway, there are a number of ways to get to Files, try one of the following:

1. Use horizontal home menu (in skin/general settings). Under 'Video' heading of home menu is a 'Files' entry. Guess what that does?

2. Under "Skin/Media sources" setting menu select one of the video type library entry points and click the button. Should now see a requester showing the various ways to enter the library, select "files". This basically gives you what you used to have under Dharma when you selected library mode off.

Wyrm (xTV-SAF)

- bubbanc - 2011-10-29

wyrm Wrote:bubbanc,

Yep, noticed the same thing just the other day(recent change to XBMC pre Eden). Anyway, there are a number of ways to get to Files, try one of the following:

1. Use horizontal home menu (in skin/general settings). Under 'Video' heading of home menu is a 'Files' entry. Guess what that does?

2. Under "Skin/Media sources" setting menu select one of the video type library entry points and click the button. Should now see a requester showing the various ways to enter the library, select "files". This basically gives you what you used to have under Dharma when you selected library mode off.

Wyrm (xTV-SAF)

Thanks again for your help and suggestions. I don't seem to have a horizontal menu item (running 1.1.1 xTV). Also, the #2 suggestion isn't ideal since I only need to use Files if something hasn't been scraped properly. Otherwise, for ease of use for the wife, I'd just assume that "TV Shows" take me to TV Shows. Any other workarounds/shortcuts you can think of to get to Files?

Thanks again,
Brian

- wyrm - 2011-10-30

bubbanc Wrote:Thanks again for your help and suggestions. I don't seem to have a horizontal menu item (running 1.1.1 xTV). Also, the #2 suggestion isn't ideal since I only need to use Files if something hasn't been scraped properly. Otherwise, for ease of use for the wife, I'd just assume that "TV Shows" take me to TV Shows. Any other workarounds/shortcuts you can think of to get to Files?

Thanks again,
Brian
bubbanc,

Well first of all sport, you are running a nightly (pre-Eden) version of XBMC you might as well be running the nightly version of the skin. 1.1.1 was written very early in the pre-Eden series and so is missing a LOT of changes to the skin to keep it current with the nightlies. One of the biggest changes to XBMC was to drop the idea of file/library mode. Now files are just one of the nodes in the library (there is no File mode anymore, but you can still look at files thru the library). Really you have two choices, downgrade XBMC to Dhrama 10.1 or upgrade the skin to v1.1.2. See the first post of this thread for details on how to load 1.1.2 version of the skin via the Passion repo.

As a side note, at this stage I'm almost 100% positive that there will NOT be a 1.1.2 version of the skin for Dharma. Eden is now in feature freeze and is likely to come out sometime around the formal release of the skin. That and there have been a LOT of changes to the skinning engine that would mean that there would be a LOT of work to make the current skin compatible with Dharma.

Wyrm (xTV-SAF)