Kodi Community Forum
[MOD] xTV SAF (Spouse Acceptance Factor) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Skins Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=67)
+---- Forum: AppTV (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=76)
+---- Thread: [MOD] xTV SAF (Spouse Acceptance Factor) (/showthread.php?tid=59576)

Update to xTV SAF (Spouse Acceptance Factor) - wyrm - 2012-11-15

Once again here comes another one fight fans.

Have just posted a BIG update to the skin for LiveTV (will be available tomorrow morning Paris Time). Skin will now show a new home menu item if you are running a late Alpha build of Frodo and have setup a PVR client.

Warning, while the skin no longer crashes XBMC (I think I still retain a tuft of hair or two after sorting out this issue), there may be monsters (alright, there will almost certainly will be monsters). Please test and post back here with constructive bug reports and I will see what I can do.

BTW relyter, issue with not being able to get to movie shelf icons has been fixed. Please let me know if choppiness has improved with the home menu as there have also be a couple of small code cleanups that might help.

Wyrm (xTV-SAF)

Wyrm has Pi - wyrm - 2012-11-20

Just some more news on the skin and what is happening.

Château Wyrm has just acquired a new Raspberry Pi. I have had a quick play with Openelec and the default skin and while I can definitely see the potential here, I think its going to be a bit slow for a while. Content is playing pretty good, but the gui is pretty slow (even on a quick skin like Confluence), so it would seem that trimming ALL of the fat from my skin would be a priority.

So the plan at this stage is to fix the Horizontal home menu issue and then remove the redundant code and images from the skin. Other than than I think I could probably make a push to the main Eden repo before I make the skin changes required for Frodo.

If there are any outstanding issue that you think need sorting before the v1.2.2 Eden push, now is the time to make them known. V1.2.2 will probably be the last update to the skin before the Passion repo moves to Frodo only.

Wyrm (xTV-SAF)

RE: [MOD] xTV SAF (Spouse Acceptance Factor) - whufclee - 2012-11-20

Good to see you're still keeping busy mate. With regards to the pi, have you tried the raspbmc build yet? I was using a sandisk 4gb microSD with that build and it was running nicely, much faster than openelec and probably about the speed of xbox. A couple of days ago a bought a lexar 16gb microSD and put the same build on that for my pi and it's now uber-fast :-) I guess if could be the pi rather than the card that made the difference as I have two of them (both the older 256mb ram), however I can't test until the end of the week as I've lent the other one to my parents and they don't live local.

RE: [MOD] xTV SAF (Spouse Acceptance Factor) - wyrm - 2012-11-20

(2012-11-20, 10:51)whufclee Wrote: Good to see you're still keeping busy mate. With regards to the pi, have you tried the raspbmc build yet? I was using a sandisk 4gb microSD with that build and it was running nicely, much faster than openelec and probably about the speed of xbox. A couple of days ago a bought a lexar 16gb microSD and put the same build on that for my pi and it's now uber-fast :-) I guess if could be the pi rather than the card that made the difference as I have two of them (both the older 256mb ram), however I can't test until the end of the week as I've lent the other one to my parents and they don't live local.
whufclee,

That is interesting to hear, I had been told that Openelec was the go for speed. Have only had a small play with the wee beastie as I got hold of it a lot quicker than I thought. When I ordered it, the local supplier said that it was out of stock and not available until end of November. Got an e-mail the following day to say that they now had stock and received it two days later from the other side of the country. Score!

Will give raspbmc a go and see if that helps, still running it at stock speed, so a little overclocking is probably on the cards as well. This one is going to be a gift for someone if I can get it to a stage that they can't break it. Do like it though, so will no doubt get hold of another at some point for ourselves. I also hear that there is issues with making sure that you power it down properly, what has been your experience on this front.

Finally, thanks for the kind words over at the other board (yes I do still pop in for a look), you where right, xbox was a slog and no fun any more. The Pi on the other hand looks like a hoot, should also help the skin as it will force me to tighten things up a bit.

Wyrm (xTV-SAF)

RE: [MOD] xTV SAF (Spouse Acceptance Factor) - relyter - 2012-11-21

With no intention to start distro war, i definitely prefer RaspBMC. And i advice you at least to try it. Latest releases plus Frodo beta1 is really fast (espesially if installed on fast USB stick or at least on class 10 SD), some REALLY annoying bugs already fixed, a lot of remotes work out of box, CEC is working (most of the time Smile). It's very usable at present moment. Confluence, quartz, "before pvr xTV" are great speedwise, metropolis, refocus/big, quart reloaded are pretty usable.

Make sure about quality of the RPi's power supply, as it quite important and be careful with overclocking as SD corruption @ OC is still unresolved.

RE: [MOD] xTV SAF (Spouse Acceptance Factor) - wyrm - 2012-11-21

(2012-11-21, 14:14)relyter Wrote: With no intention to start distro war, i definitely prefer RaspBMC. And i advice you at least to try it. Latest releases plus Frodo beta1 is really fast (espesially if installed on fast USB stick or at least on class 10 SD), some REALLY annoying bugs already fixed, a lot of remotes work out of box, CEC is working (most of the time Smile). It's very usable at present moment. Confluence, quartz, "before pvr xTV" are great speedwise, metropolis, refocus/big, quart reloaded are pretty usable.

Make sure about quality of the RPi's power supply, as it quite important and be careful with overclocking as SD corruption @ OC is still unresolved.
relyter,

Will give it a go when I get a chance, currently wrestling with the horizontal home menu issue. XBMC is currently winning, maybe its time for a bigger hammerWink .

With the very latest Passion build(1.2.2.719) is the skin still slower than pre PVR builds? If so where exactly is it slower than before? With build 719 it should be a tiny bit quicker in the non video menus, as I have cleaned up the background image handling to remove redundant code. From what I have seen this is probably one of the biggest slow downs in the skin. Other than that there is the home menu which if I can sort out the focus issue may become a little quicker. I guess the other question is what build of XBMC are you using, is it Frodo beta1 or one of the alphas?

Wyrm (xTV-SAF)

RE: [MOD] xTV SAF (Spouse Acceptance Factor) - relyter - 2012-11-21

(2012-11-21, 16:48)wyrm Wrote: With the very latest Passion build(1.2.2.719) is the skin still slower than pre PVR builds? If so where exactly is it slower than before? With build 719 it should be a tiny bit quicker in the non video menus, as I have cleaned up the background image handling to remove redundant code. From what I have seen this is probably one of the biggest slow downs in the skin. Other than that there is the home menu which if I can sort out the focus issue may become a little quicker. I guess the other question is what build of XBMC are you using, is it Frodo beta1 or one of the alphas?

Wyrm (xTV-SAF)
I gave a spin to v.719 on Frodo BETA1 15.11.2012. No more complaining about slow. I found the reason for this - animated weather icons. (sigh) Well, RPi is only 700MHz ARM Smile. I turned it off and now everything as it should be - FAST. Probably i had it disabled in earlier versions, sorry. I had an idea to compare 719 with official repo version, but i cannot install the latter since there's no skins yet in FrodoBeta repo (and i was too lazy to leave the sofa, download it and install manually). Smile Not sure if skins would be automatically transferred from Alfa repo to Beta or authors should make their skins frodo compatible and submit it to repo.
While browsing thru the skin i found that Programs in vertical and horyzontal layout it's "something completely different". In vertical it called Programs and contains only one item Program addons. Since there's no customization in this menu it would be logical to remove one level and go straight "Program button on Home menu -> list of the addons, not "Program button on Home menu -> program addons -> list of the addons". In horyzontal it's called Addons and contains links to Video/Music/Pictures/program addons. First three already exist as submenu items on the home screen.
Horizontal layout feels a just a bit slower than vertical, probably due to Recent items. Well, this is one of the reasons why option to disable it would be nice. Smile

RE: [MOD] xTV SAF (Spouse Acceptance Factor) - wyrm - 2012-11-22

(2012-11-21, 23:11)relyter Wrote: I gave a spin to v.719 on Frodo BETA1 15.11.2012. No more complaining about slow. I found the reason for this - animated weather icons. (sigh) Well, RPi is only 700MHz ARM Smile. I turned it off and now everything as it should be - FAST.
Yes I was surprised that anyone thought the skin was slow, need to manage your expectations my friend.
Quote: Not sure if skins would be automatically transferred from Alfa repo to Beta or authors should make their skins frodo compatible and submit it to repo.
Not automatic, skin author needs to make required changes for Frodo and then submit to the 'new' Frodo repo. Most skins should not have many issue to resolve, but for the next couple of weeks I would not expect you will see many skins in the Frodo repo.
Quote:While browsing thru the skin i found that Programs in vertical and horizontal layout it's "something completely different". In vertical it called Programs and contains only one item Program addons. Since there's no customization in this menu it would be logical to remove one level and go straight "Program button on Home menu -> list of the addons, not "Program button on Home menu -> program addons -> list of the addons". In horyzontal it's called Addons and contains links to Video/Music/Pictures/program addons. First three already exist as submenu items on the home screen.
Sorry, some things translate to the horizontal model better than the vertical model, this is one of those areas. Will try to remember to take a look at this.
Quote:Horizontal layout feels a just a bit slower than vertical, probably due to Recent items. Well, this is one of the reasons why option to disable it would be nice. Smile
You can still browse thru the menus while the Recent items icons are resolving themselves, so that is not really a slow down. What is the issue, is that the horizontal home menu is just more complex (code alone is over twice the size of vertical menu for the horizontal menu). I could probably fine tune the animations between elements to increase the speed a bit, but if I take that too far you might as well not have the animations (and it is the animations that give a skin its polish). I'm still having issues with the focus of the horizontal home menu headings, and at this stage that is more important than increasing the perceived speed of the home menu.

Wyrm (xTV-SAF)

RE: [MOD] xTV SAF (Spouse Acceptance Factor) - antoniong - 2012-11-23

Where can I dl this skin to see if it works with Frodo?

RE: [MOD] xTV SAF (Spouse Acceptance Factor) - wyrm - 2012-11-23

(2012-11-23, 16:05)antoniong Wrote: Where can I dl this skin to see if it works with Frodo?
See first post of this thread for details on downloading skin. Development build is available from the Passion repo, as to does it work, Yes but there are a few issues under Frodo. I plan to release a build for Eden soon, after which development build will shift to Frodo and then problems will be sorted fully there.

Wyrm (xTV-SAF)

RE: [MOD] xTV SAF (Spouse Acceptance Factor) - Timewalker - 2012-12-01

Hey Wyrm. Just got a first gen Apple TV with a Broadcom video decoder card and loaded Crystalbuntu with Eden on it and the first thing I did was install the Passion Repo so I could set up xTV!
Based on the screenshots, I didn't think I would care for the horizontal main menu (big fan of the classic home screen on my xbox and old PC), but the addition of the customizable favorites won me over very quickly.
I'm seeing some lag when scrolling through selections, but I think that might just be the aTv. I get the same from Confluence, it seems.
I'll let you know if I have any more issues or questions.
Thanks again for all your hard work!

RE: [MOD] xTV SAF (Spouse Acceptance Factor) - lipo - 2012-12-19

hi wyrm
for some odd reason im still stuck with my xbox Smile

all my video collection is 480p (848x480) res, but the icon that appear on info window is 540
any way to fix this ?

thanks

RE: [MOD] xTV SAF (Spouse Acceptance Factor) - wyrm - 2012-12-20

(2012-12-19, 16:57)lipo Wrote: hi wyrm

all my video collection is 480p (848x480) res, but the icon that appear on info window is 540
any way to fix this ?

thanks

Hey Lipo,

Long time no hear. What happened to the Raspberry Pi? I've grown rather attached to mine, will be sorry to see it go as a secret Santa gift. Pretty sure I will be grabbing a couple more to play with in the new year.

Now I would not normally mess too much with your issue, but you are a special case due to all of your past work. Drop me a line (you know where to find me) with a picture and any relevant details and I will try to fix things for you.

Wyrm

RE: [MOD] xTV SAF (Spouse Acceptance Factor) - lipo - 2012-12-20

(2012-12-20, 07:04)wyrm Wrote:
(2012-12-19, 16:57)lipo Wrote: hi wyrm

any way to fix this ?

thanks

Hey Lipo,

Long time no hear. What happened to the Raspberry Pi? I've grown rather attached to mine, will be sorry to see it go as a secret Santa gift. Pretty sure I will be grabbing a couple more to play with in the new year.

Now I would not normally mess too much with your issue, but you are a special case due to all of your past work. Drop me a line (you know where to find me) with a picture and any relevant details and I will try to fix things for you.

Wyrm
i still have the pi but since raspbmc still on beta stage & all my video is on xbox hdd, so i still use the old blacbox

i just send email to you

RE: [MOD] xTV SAF (Spouse Acceptance Factor) - wyrm - 2012-12-23

Hi Gang,

Latest update on whats happening with the skin. Version 1.2.2 is now available thru the main repo. As Frodo final is due very soon, unless there is a major issue with 1.2.2, this will be the last update for Eden. Also the next update to Passion will be Frodo only, hopefully this will happen very shortly. The next official release (1.3.0?) will be sometime after the end of January 2013.

There are a number of changes to settings planned and some of the views may be removed, but will probably run a poll or two, to gauge user thoughts on the changes to the Frodo release of the skin. As always, if you spot a bug, or have any other issue with the skin, post here and I will see what I can do.

Wyrm (xTV-SAF)