Kodi Community Forum
[MOD] xTV SAF (Spouse Acceptance Factor) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Skins Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=67)
+---- Forum: AppTV (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=76)
+---- Thread: [MOD] xTV SAF (Spouse Acceptance Factor) (/showthread.php?tid=59576)

RE: [MOD] xTV SAF (Spouse Acceptance Factor) - doveman2 - 2013-03-28

Nice one wyrm, look forward to trying your new build Smile

Hmm, I can't seem to install the passion repo on OpenElec, it says "dependencies not met"

RE: [MOD] xTV SAF (Spouse Acceptance Factor) - wyrm - 2013-03-28

(2013-03-28, 14:31)doveman2 Wrote: Hmm, I can't seem to install the passion repo on OpenElec, it says "dependencies not met"
doveman2,

Goto the Passion website (http://passion-xbmc.org/addons/ ), select sort by downloads (very close to top, so easier to find that way) and click on xTV-SAF. You should then see a changelog (always a couple of updates behind for some reason) and scroll to bottom of page. Click on the icon at the bottom of the page and it will download the required zip file. Copy this across to somewhere on your Pi and then in another skin (not meant to be necessary, but I always do it this way to be sure) head into settings/addons and select "install from zip file". You should be able to figure it out from there (give it a while as this option does not show the install progress, maybe wait until XBMC asks if you want to change to this skin).

Sorry about the convoluted install instructions, but there has been a bit of an issue with Passion for a little while, not really sure whats up.

Wyrm (xTV-SAF)

That's cool, I can download the skin and install it like that no problem, just wanted to let you know about the repo in case it was either a temporary problem on your end that needed fixing or an issue on my Pi that needed fixing Wink

I'll wait till tomorrow when 1.3.1.835 should be available and test with that.

RE: [MOD] xTV SAF (Spouse Acceptance Factor) - doveman2 - 2013-03-29

Thanks, 1.3.1.836 is much better and runs about 45% at idle on Home now, which is about the same as the other skins I've tested.

It still goes to 99% CPU on settings when on the actual settings list (as opposed to the category/groups list on the right) but that's the same with all skins so hopefully a fix will be found for this sometime.

Also goes to 99% CPU when I go to the Shutdown Menu/Screen. Not sure if that's specific to this skin or not as Confluence has a pop-up shutdown menu, not a separate screen.

The Shutdown Menu is also missing a Reboot option. It has Restart XBMC but sometimes I need to do a full reboot, to update OpenElec for example. I see there's an option to make Quit do a reboot instead of opening the Shutdown Menu but it would be a pain to have to switch to this option and back when I need to reboot, so it would be nice to have it on the menu.

The Show Weather on Home option doesn't seem to do anything and it shows it whether it's enabled or not. I also found if I added something to Home, in this case Addons, it made the icons go out of sync, so that being on Weather shows the System option, being on Add-ons shows the Weather options, etc

Other than those minor issues though, very nice clean skin, thanks for making and updating it.

Hmm, interestingly if I'm in Skin - Settings then the CPU doesn't go high when going to the settings on the left, this only happens in the top level with Skin, International, File Lists, Screensaver. Maybe you can see what the difference is between how these two levels are presented/drawn and then it might be possible to fix this bug for XBMC completely.

I've also found that the Timeline EPG is another culprit causing 99% CPU, no doubt due to the scrolling programme titles which don't fit in the boxes. Would be good if this scrolling could be disable unless/until a fix can be found that allows scrolling to work without fully loading the CPU, as people often leave the EPG open and it's not good to have it wasting power/creating heat when it should be idle.

RE: [MOD] xTV SAF (Spouse Acceptance Factor) - wyrm - 2013-03-29

(2013-03-29, 16:03)doveman2 Wrote: I've also found that the Timeline EPG is another culprit causing 99% CPU, no doubt due to the scrolling programme titles which don't fit in the boxes. Would be good if this scrolling could be disable unless/until a fix can be found that allows scrolling to work without fully loading the CPU, as people often leave the EPG open and it's not good to have it wasting power/creating heat when it should be idle.
doveman2,

I'm sure you will find things like this thru out most skins. Just remember that its a miracle that XBMC runs on a Pi at all, let alone that it runs so well. Don't get too hung up on cpu load on the Pi, its being looked at by the devs and I'm sure over time things will improve.

As to the scrolling text, it is not the scrolling text as such, but more the fact that it generates a "Dirty region" event and has the CPU redraw the entire screen each time the screen changes. Frodo now has "Dirty regions" support turned on by default. You can specify in your advancesettings.xml file to use a more efficient algorithm (only update part of the screen, not the whole screen), but this can cause some problems with some skins. Go check the wiki on this and give one of the other algorithms a try, you may find that it helps the situation with system load.

As to the scrolling text, I have to say I hate it from a purely visual point of view. I have been going thru and removing this where I think it appropriate, but having discovered that it seems to cause a performance hit, I'm temped to give it the flick everywhere. Only issue with that is that I tend to use bigger fonts than most skins and so buttons and labels tend to overflow quicker in my skin than others. I will continue to take a look at this issues and try to fix them where I can. Also will take a look at the other areas that you have mentioned and see what I can do (if anything) and fix.

Wyrm (xTV-SAF)

Thanks wyrm, yeah I didn't mean to imply this is a problem with your skin, it affects all of them and is a problem with the core XBMC. I did try a different algorithm once and as you say, it had problems (as I recall there were chunks of the screen missing), so I think 3 is the only one to use for now.

RE: [MOD] xTV SAF (Spouse Acceptance Factor) - wyrm - 2013-03-30

(2013-03-29, 12:18)doveman2 Wrote: It still goes to 99% CPU on settings when on the actual settings list (as opposed to the category/groups list on the right) but that's the same with all skins so hopefully a fix will be found for this sometime.
Sorry had a look and this is a dirty region event generated by XBMC and is nothing to do with the skin.

Quote:Also goes to 99% CPU when I go to the Shutdown Menu/Screen. Not sure if that's specific to this skin or not as Confluence has a pop-up shutdown menu, not a separate screen.
Now a textural menu much like the context menu in the skin, and thus no dirty region events

Quote:The Shutdown Menu is also missing a Reboot option. It has Restart XBMC but sometimes I need to do a full reboot, to update OpenElec for example. I see there's an option to make Quit do a reboot instead of opening the Shutdown Menu but it would be a pain to have to switch to this option and back when I need to reboot, so it would be nice to have it on the menu.
Fixed with the above change

Quote:The Show Weather on Home option doesn't seem to do anything and it shows it whether it's enabled or not.
This is by design, if you set "Current weather on home" setting in skins General settings menu, it shows the weather menu on the horizontal home menu. If you are using the vertical home menu, that option instead shows the current weather in the top right hand corner of the home screen. Seemed rather pointless to show the same info as the weather shelf icons, thus the reason to just show the weather heading instead. Turn off the above setting and then the setting you mentioned works as expected.

Quote: I also found if I added something to Home, in this case Addons, it made the icons go out of sync, so that being on Weather shows the System option, being on Add-ons shows the Weather options, etc
In actual fact nothing wrong with the addons menus, it is a problem with the Music menu instead, now fixed (1.3.1.841)

Quote:Other than those minor issues though, very nice clean skin, thanks for making and updating it.

Hmm, interestingly if I'm in Skin - Settings then the CPU doesn't go high when going to the settings on the left, this only happens in the top level with Skin, International, File Lists, Screensaver. Maybe you can see what the difference is between how these two levels are presented/drawn and then it might be possible to fix this bug for XBMC completely.
Once again issue is with XBMC (also ALL of the PVR menus have the same issue). Problem with XBMC. If you add the following to the advancedsettings.xml file you can spot problems for yourself. Add this line to the file between the <gui> tags to turn on a visualisation of what areas of the screen are generating dirty region events.

<visualizedirtyregions>true</visualizedirtyregions>

Green is a transitory event, orange is something XBMC thinks is constantly changing. There are some of these around the place that don't seem to turn off despite there being NO obvious screen change, so I would think that is a bug.

So at this stage I'm pretty sure I have got just about all of the skin generated dirty region events, other than the scrolling text boxes. I plan to re-instate a setting to cover that situation, just not done at this point. As to the algorithm, there was a bug that caused my skin a problem with anything other than 3, but the bug was fixed and now 1 and 2 seem to work fine. So how is the general speed of the skin now?

Wyrm (xTV-SAF)

RE: [MOD] xTV SAF (Spouse Acceptance Factor) - doveman2 - 2013-04-01

Thanks wyrm, sounds like you've sorted out everything that can be fixed in the skin.

I still only see v836 on the site though, so if there's an update please let me know where I can find it.

RE: [MOD] xTV SAF (Spouse Acceptance Factor) - wyrm - 2013-04-01

(2013-04-01, 00:49)doveman2 Wrote: Thanks wyrm, sounds like you've sorted out everything that can be fixed in the skin.

I still only see v836 on the site though, so if there's an update please let me know where I can find it.
Doveman2,

It's there now, give it a try.

Wyrm (xTV-SAF)

RE: [MOD] xTV SAF (Spouse Acceptance Factor) - joselbcn33 - 2013-04-07

hi there ,

thanks to upgrade this skin for frodo. Just one thing, I have readed in previous post ( if I´m not wrong) that you have disable "scroll" option in text.
How can i enable that?
text does not scroll in list view
An example :
I use a video add-on called "pelisalacarta"; it has several channels with movies, but most of them the tittles are large (batman dark night rises hdrip h264 ac3...etc). In previous versions, when the tittle was focused in list view) it scrolls the full text, so you can read.

Also, I´m using the vertical menu.
Thanks in advance and apologize about my english.
Best regards from Spain

RE: [MOD] xTV SAF (Spouse Acceptance Factor) - wyrm - 2013-04-07

(2013-04-07, 11:39)joselbcn33 Wrote: hi there ,

thanks to upgrade this skin for frodo. Just one thing, I have readed in previous post ( if I´m not wrong) that you have disable "scroll" option in text.
How can i enable that?
text does not scroll in list view
An example :
I use a video add-on called "pelisalacarta"; it has several channels with movies, but most of them the tittles are large (batman dark night rises hdrip h264 ac3...etc). In previous versions, when the tittle was focused in list view) it scrolls the full text, so you can read.

Also, I´m using the vertical menu.
Thanks in advance and apologize about my english.
Best regards from Spain
joselbcn33,

Yes at this stage I have disabled the scrolling text as it hammers the lower speced machines (the Raspberry PI for one), but I was planing to reuse a setting for "Autoscroll" as a way to turn the feature back on for those that require it. Personally I hate it with a passion (even apart from the performance hit it causes) on a purely visual perspective. Besides the important information of your example would be "Batman dark night rises" and I'm pretty sure that would fit within the button.

So in short, can't restore it easily at the moment, but an option to do so should be back in the skin within the week. Just the same this one will default to off as per the points above.

Wyrm (xTV-SAF)

RE: [MOD] xTV SAF (Spouse Acceptance Factor) - lipo - 2013-04-07

i use the recommended dirty region algorithm & latest svn, thumbnail load faster
great job, time to switch back to xtv-saf

ill try messing around a bit & report back

RE: [MOD] xTV SAF (Spouse Acceptance Factor) - wyrm - 2013-04-10

Just a quick heads up for people who download the skin thru the Passion repo. I have just committed a Large update to my googlecode page that should show up in the next round of updates on Passion. I have made a number of code optimisations that I hope will make things a bit quicker on low speced machines. Also for those people that wanted the scrolling text back, the required code changes are now there to make use of the returning "Autoscroll" setting in the skins "General" settings menu. Turn on this setting and hopefully all of the scrolling text that was there before will return (and also a large part of the recent skin speedups will unfortunately disappear, sorry thems the breaks).

If there is any problems, or I have missed some controls on the scrolling text update, please drop a line here and I will endeavor to fix things.

Wyrm (xTV-SAF)