Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] HOW-TO get multi-channel HD sound output working over NVIDIA HDMI - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] HOW-TO get multi-channel HD sound output working over NVIDIA HDMI (/showthread.php?tid=59877)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

- alanwww1 - 2009-11-27

Phantisy Wrote:Can't be the problem. It worked fine before i found this guide and upgraded my alsa from an older version. Unless your saying that is why the sound test wont work?

If it worked fine, why have you upgraded ?

44100hz for sure does NOT work with stock alsa for sure. Only in the next stable release probably. So it is important to check if the upgrade went fine, So you could run these commands.

- Phantisy - 2009-11-27

alanwww1 Wrote:If it worked fine, why have you upgraded ?

44100hz for sure does NOT work with stock alsa for sure. Only in the next stable release probably. So it is important to check if the upgrade went fine, So you could run these commands.

For the multichannel HD sounds over NVIDIA.

- User 43642 - 2009-11-28

I cannot seem to get 185 to install. All the sources tell me the 190 is no longer beta and when I try 'apt-get install nvidia-glx-185' it installs all the 190 stuff.

Thanks and great work.

- alanwww1 - 2009-11-29

fatsidney Wrote:I cannot seem to get 185 to install. All the sources tell me the 190 is no longer beta and when I try 'apt-get install nvidia-glx-185' it installs all the 190 stuff. Thanks and great work.

Yes, theydeleted the 185 series from ppa. But you can still get the nvidia installer for any version from here:

ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/

You just need to run it everytime you have a kernel upgrade.

- User 43642 - 2009-11-29

alanwww1 Wrote:Yes, theydeleted the 185 series from ppa. But you can still get the nvidia installer for any version from here:

ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/

You just need to run it everytime you have a kernel upgrade.

Great. I got it to work. I had to use an xorg.conf from a previous working state, but I will make sure I take an image this time before I experiment with any other additions.

Thanks again.

- MATPOC - 2009-11-29

alanwww1 Wrote:Hey guys, i am getting somewhere with the brand new G210 Nvidia graphic card's hdmi audio device. By default this is not appearing in alsa at all.

How did you make to work new G210 card on Ubuntu 9.04 by recommended Nvidia 185 driver? Support of this cards appears in Nvidia 195 drivers, not previous releases.

I follow your recommendations and patched alsa drivers so Nvidia card recognized by system. But speaker-test make no sound and receiver indicated no signal.

- samanoske - 2009-11-29

works like charm!

totally new to ubuntu, but these forums are brilliant! Smile

Updated the kernel and the simple "kernel update" did not work to re-establish sound but starting from the top again I got audio over HDMI (i.e. Dolby digitial) working again.

One problem is only that if I mp3s are played before, xbmc can not init the audio device afterwards. Going straight to the movie, dobly digital audio device init works. Guess everything is still beta Wink

Thanks again.

- alanwww1 - 2009-11-29

MATPOC Wrote:How did you make to work new G210 card on Ubuntu 9.04 by recommended Nvidia 185 driver? Support of this cards appears in Nvidia 195 drivers, not previous releases.

I follow your recommendations and patched alsa drivers so Nvidia card recognized by system. But speaker-test make no sound and receiver indicated no signal.

No solution yet for the new G210 GT220 cards. I contacted Alsa devs and there is a big thread about this over at the nvidia forums. Still nothing in progress.

Stay tuned.

- Kali - 2009-11-30

195.22 have the same lpcm issue of 190 series :/

- alanwww1 - 2009-11-30

Kali Wrote:195.22 have the same lpcm issue of 190 series :/

That's too bad. I have a feeling that nvidia implemented some kind of channel allocation detection to the drivers for detecting of speaker setup, available samplerates etc. This is in the hdmi standard except so far nvidia has not implemented these features.

It can be that alsa has to be modified to these new drivers to work properly. But without the help of nvidia this won't happen. Let's hope that there is some inner working we don't know of.

- s_Fanous - 2009-12-06

alanwww1 Wrote:PART 1 SETTING UP ALSA

Requirements:
- You need to have Nvidia hdmi audio integrated codec on your motherboard. Like the IONs or 9300 9400 integrated motherboard chipsets.
- You need Ubuntu Jaunty (or Karmic)
- You need the Nvidia drivers 185 series. IMPORTANT: the 190 series driver breaks lpcm hdmi output totally or partially
- At last both not least, you must have a HDMI 1.1 compatibe HDMI AV receiver (Like Onkyo TX-SR605 what i have) connected with hdmi cable

I have a simple question. Would this work without the first requirement, or does the nVIDIA HDMI audio integrated codec must be on the motherboard?

I've got an Acer 5930G with an Intel chipset. The laptop has an nVIDIA 9600M GT card with an HDMI out. I'm running Ubuntu Karmic, and the 185 series drivers.

I really want to get this working the ALSA way, as I don't need this Ubuntu installtion for anything other than XBMC.

Thanks

ION and sony receiver - Kaaino - 2009-12-06

Hi all,

I have followed all the steps in this post but still no audio to my receiver via HDMI. Note that if I plug the HDMI to the TV I have got stereo audio. But if I plug the HDMI to my receiver I have video but not audio (with and without pass-through enabled). I have tried with MP3 stereo, 5.1, Dolby Digital, AC3, and I have also run speaker-test but without any luck so far.

My set up is:
-HTPC based on ION ASUS AT3N7A-I
-Sony STR-DH800 receiver
-Sony BRAVIA lcd tv
-XBMC 9.11 over Ubuntu 9.10, 185 NVida driver, alsa 1.21

Any suggestion is well appreciated

Thanks

- Kali - 2009-12-06

remove
/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
run alsaconf select hda-intel and reboot

- s_Fanous - 2009-12-06

s_Fanous Wrote:I have a simple question. Would this work without the first requirement, or does the nVIDIA HDMI audio integrated codec must be on the motherboard?

I've got an Acer 5930G with an Intel chipset. The laptop has an nVIDIA 9600M GT card with an HDMI out. I'm running Ubuntu Karmic, and the 185 series drivers.

I really want to get this working the ALSA way, as I don't need this Ubuntu installtion for anything other than XBMC.

Thanks

Well I went ahead and took the dip

The end result is that it is not working, but I think it is close, so maybe someone can help me

Code:
sfanous@Torres:~$ cat /proc/asound/version
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.21.
Compiled on Dec  6 2009 for kernel 2.6.31-16-generic (SMP).

Code:
sfanous@Torres:~$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC888 Analog [ALC888 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: ALC888 Digital [ALC888 Digital]
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 3: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]
sfanous@Torres:~$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC888 Analog [ALC888 Analog]
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: ALC888 Digital [ALC888 Digital]
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 3: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]

Code:
sfanous@Torres:~$ alsamixer

Code:
speaker-test -Dhdmi -c2 -r48000 -FS16_LE
This command works perfectly. The Front Left, followed by the Front right speakers output the sound

Code:
speaker-test -Dhdmi -c6 -r192000 -FS32_LE
This command doesn't work as expected. Sound can only be heard coming from the front left, and front right speakers. No sound can be heard from the center, rear left, rear right, or subwoofer.

Sometimes this command leads to broken pipe errors

Can someone please help me

Thanks

- alanwww1 - 2009-12-07

s_Fanous Wrote:
Code:
speaker-test -Dhdmi -c2 -r48000 -FS16_LE
This command works perfectly. The Front Left, followed by the Front right speakers output the sound

Code:
speaker-test -Dhdmi -c6 -r192000 -FS32_LE
This command doesn't work as expected. Sound can only be heard coming from the front left, and front right speakers. No sound can be heard from the center, rear left, rear right, or subwoofer.
Thanks

Sorry guys but i have so much work nowadays that i can't keep up with the posts.

Your problem is that i think that graphic card does not do multichannel lpcm. Only motherboard integrated codecs and the new g210, gt220 cards (not yet supported on linux)