Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] HOW-TO get multi-channel HD sound output working over NVIDIA HDMI - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] HOW-TO get multi-channel HD sound output working over NVIDIA HDMI (/showthread.php?tid=59877)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

- rodercot - 2010-02-09

Has anyone tried the new Beta Nvidia drivers, I assumed they fixed the channel mapping issues, on a clean install with a new GT-220 PCi-e card HDMI output from the card. I still had to modify the win51 channel mapping in

/usr/share/xbmc/system/asound.conf as per

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=492685&postcount=254

I still had center channel information in the left rear speaker until I fixed the asound file as above.

Regards,

Dave

- masuta - 2010-02-09

alanwww1 Wrote:PART 1 SETTING UP ALSA

INTRODUCTION

This is an awsome guide. Thanks so much for all of your effort Alanwww1. I'm a linux noob and it all worked perfectly. I applied this to an XBMCFreak livecd 9.11v11 install on an Asrock 330HT. Before this I had no HDMI regardless of what I did.Eek

I had to first donwgrade the nvidia drivers (from 190 to 185.18.36) and then followed your guide, now I have perfect HDMI audio. Big Grin

- Shank - 2010-02-09

masuta Wrote:This is an awsome guide. Thanks so much for all of your effort Alanwww1. I'm a linux noob and it all worked perfectly. I applied this to an XBMCFreak livecd 9.11v11 install on an Asrock 330HT. Before this I had no HDMI regardless of what I did.Eek

I had to first donwgrade the nvidia drivers (from 190 to 185.18.36) and then followed your guide, now I have perfect HDMI audio. Big Grin

Could you please post on how to downgrade the drivers to 185? I have zero clue on where to begin.

- masuta - 2010-02-09

Shank Wrote:Could you please post on how to downgrade the drivers to 185? I have zero clue on where to begin.

To update the drivers you first need to stop XBMC and X11:

kill -9 `ps ax | grep xbmc.bin | grep -v grep | awk '{print $1}'`
kill -9 `ps ax | grep startx | grep -v grep | awk '{print $1}'`

The above didn't work for me so I just did:
ps ux and killed the PID's.

Next step is to remove the old nvidia module:
lsmod | grep nvidia
sudo rmmod nvidia

Put nvidia.ko file to a temporary location:
sudo mv /lib/modules/2.6.31-17-generic/updates/dkms/nvidia.ko ~

Download the drivers using wget: (I chose 185.18.36)

wget ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/185.18.36/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-185.18.36-pkg1.run

Install the necessary packages:

sudo apt-get install build-essential cdbs fakeroot dh-make debhelper debconf xserver-xorg-dev libstdc++5 dkms linux-headers-$(uname -r)

Install the driver:

sudo sh ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-185.18.36-pkg1.run -k $(uname -r) --x-module-path=/usr/lib/xorg/modules --x-library-path=/usr/lib

You should now have NVIDIA 185.18.36 and can follow the guide at the start on this thread.

8ch lpcm still broken in 195.36.15 - oy5tein - 2010-03-17

Just tested the new 195.36.15

No 8ch love, only stereo No

Reinstalled 185.18 and my center, surround and sub is alive again

- pyite - 2010-03-17

sooo who wants to restart the gtxxx thread?

- chris2922 - 2010-03-18

Alan,

A long while ago i used your guide to get multi channel sound from my nvidia ion system - then running xbmc live 9.04 on a usb drive. It worked perfectly - i commented on page 3.

I have now installed a SSD for added speed as the usb was too slow.

This time i've downloaded the latest 9.11 build of live and installed that to disk. As expected it installed fine, but the multichannel sound is still not there.

So i have returned to your guide to get me back up and running - but this time im having problems!

First, these lines:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade -y
sudo reboot

wiped my video drivers. I had to replace them using these commands via Putty.exe on another machine. I only had access to the command line - is that last command the best way to do it?

sudo apt-get install python-software-properties

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nvidia-vdpau/ppa

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install nvidia-195-modaliases nvidia-glx-195

Next, i cannot run your modified ALSA script.

This line runs ok:
sudo apt-get install tofrodos

This line says user xbmc is already part of the audio group:
sudo adduser `who | awk '{print $1}'` audio

This line seems to download the script ok:
wget http://pastebin.com/pastebin.php?dl=f29c37574 -O Alsa_upgrade-1.0.21_hd.sh

These two lines execute without any feedback:
sudo chmod a+x Alsa_upgrade-1.0.21_hd.sh
dos2unix Alsa_upgrade-1.0.21_hd.sh

I can't remember if they gave any info before though.

Here is the problem. This line gives the same error regardless of what switches i have at the end.
sudo ./Alsa_upgrade-1.0.21_hd.sh -dpi

ERROR = "1: Syntax error: newline unexpected"

Can you help pleaseHuh

- pyite - 2010-03-18

try to copy and paste the script into a document rather than using wget.

my guess is that there is an extra line at the end of the script that shouldn't be there. copy and pasting should fix the issue.

- chris2922 - 2010-03-18

I dont really have the facility to do that. Im connecting to my xbmc live box via Putty on another machine. Surely this shouldnt be working for anyone else if the script is incorrect? Can it not be corrected at the source end?

I presume Alan's script is specifically required for this process and i cannot use another, as he says:
"Ubuntu Alsa upgrade script which i modified to patch the source to enable all bitrates and channel configurations."

Is this process running for eveyone else without the error i get: 1: Syntax error: newline unexpected ?

Alan - ALSA 1.0.21 has now been replaced with ALSA 1.0.22.1.
Upgrade Alsa (1.0.22.1) on Ubuntu Karmic Koala 9.10:
http://monespaceperso.org/blog-en/2009/12/17/upgrade-alsa-1-0-22-on-ubuntu-karmic-koala-9-10/

Also Alan - your PM box is full!

- pyite - 2010-03-18

there really isn't any reason that you wouldn't be able to copy and paste the script... i do it all the time..

sudo nano Alsa_upgrade-1.0.21_hd.sh

would produce a blank file, copy the pastebin, and then right click in putty to paste the text. ctrl+x to save the file, and you have accomplished the same thing as the wget statement.

that being said, you can probably also run the wget statement and then go to the last line of the script and delete the last line.

this is just a guess but i have gotten this error before when trying to write some scripts.

- myrison - 2010-03-18

oy5tein Wrote:Just tested the new 195.36.15

No 8ch love, only stereo No

Reinstalled 185.18 and my center, surround and sub is alive again

Man, this is insane that they keep overlooking that problem in every release.

- chris2922 - 2010-03-20

I'm having major problems and as it all has to with this guide, im hoping someone can help me. Please... i may hurt myself.

I have xbmc 9.04 live installed to usb. I boot it on my nvidia ion machine, and followed this guide to the letter when i set it up. It has the 185 series drivers. It has the updated Alsa script and settings. Its setup perfectly and works with multichannel pcm over HDMI - which is important to me. Its just a bit slow.

I now have a SSD in the machine and want a fixed disc install instead of USB for speed.

I *cannot* get the 185 series drivers to work with the new 9.11 live install. Whenever i roll the drivers back xbmc will no longer work. I've tried numerous methods.

I gave up with 9.11 tonight, and decided to install 9.04 from my usb stick. The installer is not as good, and i cannot specifiy partitions (so it wipes my multiboot Ubuntu desktop install out) but it finshed without any errors.

When the machine reboots i no longer get my 'Zotac' splash screen - and now get "error 15 - file not found."

Its just going from bad to worse.

Can i not just transfer my perfect, setup, working 9.04 install from the usb to a little partition of my disk and boot from it as an option in grub?

- blazini - 2010-03-20

I wanted tro try this guide out so I can get surround working on my Acer Revo. I have a problem going bak to 185 series drivers though. The later driver have an option in settings for overscan compensaion, the 185 drivers didn't. For some reason I have horrible overscan without using the overscan compensation. Anybody know how to fix th overscan using 185 drivers?

Using Ubuntu 9.10 BTW

- chris2922 - 2010-03-21

The ALSA update script has a problem.

Running the script with the instructions in the guide gives an error:

FROM GUIDE:
wget http://pastebin.com/pastebin.php?dl=f29c37574 -O Alsa_upgrade-1.0.21_hd.sh
sudo chmod a+x Alsa_upgrade-1.0.21_hd.sh
dos2unix Alsa_upgrade-1.0.21_hd.sh

ERROR:
1: Syntax error: newline unexpected

Following the adivce of user 'pyite' i opened the file, removed the text, and pasted the script from the pastebin page.

Back to the guide, i ran the script with this command:
sudo ./Alsa_upgrade-1.0.21_hd.sh -dpi

It didnt take 15mins - more like 10 seconds. When i investigated the log, this is what happened.

xbmc@Zotacxbmc:~$ tail -f /var/log/AlsaUpgradeRev-1.0.21-4-032110-11.48.log

alsa-tools-gui is already the newest version.
libasound2 is already the newest version.
libasound2-dev is already the newest version.
libasound2-plugins is already the newest version.
aconnectgui is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 11 not upgraded.
./Alsa_upgrade-1.0.21_hd.sh: 1156: build-essential: not found
./Alsa_upgrade-1.0.21_hd.sh: 1156: libavcodec-dev: not found
./Alsa_upgrade-1.0.21_hd.sh: 1156: linux-headers-2.6.31-14-generic-pae: not found
Problems downloading and installing the required dependencies...

My ALSA version is still 20, not 21.

xbmc@Zotacxbmc:~$ cat /proc/asound/version
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.20.

I dont have the knowledge to debug the script for problems. Can someone please help?

UPDATE:
I've tried changing the version numbers of the ALSA packages to the versions on the website, but this hasn't helped. I still get the error above.

Website: http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Download

- harryzimm - 2010-03-21

@chris2922

You should have a look at clonezilla. It can copy your working 9.04 partition from your flash drive over to a partition on your ssd. It works like a live cd, make sure you download the ubuntu based version. Then just edit grub so you can dual boot. Actually clonezilla might do this automatically. If you need any help fire me a pm.

cheers