Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] HOW-TO get multi-channel HD sound output working over NVIDIA HDMI - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] HOW-TO get multi-channel HD sound output working over NVIDIA HDMI (/showthread.php?tid=59877)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

- Roelio - 2010-05-25

Do I really need Lucid or will older version's be fine too?

- srv1973 - 2010-05-25

harryzimm Wrote:The two files sort out the channel mapping of multi-channel pcm. Without them the centre speaker and the rear left channels are switched. If your using only stereo audio it wont matter.

cheers

Oh, that sounds rather important... let me quickly do that then. Reboot required?

- Roelio - 2010-05-25

Yeah reboot it Wink Or sudo stop/start xbmc-live

- harryzimm - 2010-05-25

Roelio Wrote:Do I really need Lucid or will older version's be fine too?

I have only tested on lucid. I'm pretty sure it would work on older versions although you may be required to update alsa.

cheers

- Roelio - 2010-05-25

Well I'm getting somewhere finally. But the sh sudo apt-get install xbmc-live couldn't find package xbmc-live

What can I do to fix this?

update: nvm I think i missed some system configuration's..... I feel so Noob here but I'll get there Wink

OK great got XBMC up with the new Nvidia driver and both HDA-Intel.conf & asound.conf where empty. I'm going to install the ALSA because I don't have any sound.

- Roelio - 2010-05-25

Is this right?

- harryzimm - 2010-05-25

you have to unmute the two iec958. select them and press m on the keyboard. they should turn green. In xbmc go to system-system-audio output and select hdmi as device and passthrough.

cheers

- gazman - 2010-05-25

Could anyone point me in the direction of a custom asound.conf and cardsHDA-Intel.conf to correct the channel mapping of multi-channel pcm when using spdif not HDMI? I have a problem with TrueHD soundtracks not outputting the voices through the center channel.

Cheers

- Roelio - 2010-05-25

I'm close now got Multichannel up on my Receiver but the channels are mixed up Big Grin

Can't seem to get the Front and Mic Muted it will be enabled every time I restart.
Even with sudo alsactl store 0

You have a tip how I can get the channels on the right spot?

- harryzimm - 2010-05-26

did you copy the two files from my link? The asound.conf and cardsHDA-Intel.conf and reboot? What source are you trying to play?

To save the mute settings you need to delete setvolume from the kernal line.

Code:
sudo nano /etc/default/grub
save and run

Code:
sudo update-grub

open alsamixer and mute. It should still be saved after a reboot.

- Roelio - 2010-05-26

Your the man Big Grin

I was manually updating the two conf files and now just used the sudo line from your posted. Don't know why but it's now working like a charm ! Also mixer is looking clean now, it worked.

I don't know how to thank you but but I can finally sleep after some day's of troubling Rofl Tomorrow I'll tear down the house with some HD audio !!!!!

- harryzimm - 2010-05-26

Good stuff. Glad its working Big Grin

- The Chef - 2010-05-26

Hey guys,
Using Ubuntu 9.10 and am running through the OTs walkthrough and I get to this step:

Code:
sudo ./Alsa_upgrade-1.0.21_hd.sh -dpi

and it says:
Code:
sudo ./Alsa_upgrade-1.0.21_hd.sh: Syntax error: newline unexpected

What am I doing wrong?

- The Chef - 2010-05-26

So weird,
This is my second Zotac Mag. The first one I got 3 weeks ago and the audio fix in the OP worked great so I cant figure out how its not working now for me. Did it literally stop working within that time frame? And if its wrong why isnt the OP updated with new info?

- Roelio - 2010-05-26

@The Chef

On page 36 you can read that the script is outdated. You don't need to do that harsh Alsa upgrade any more.
If you follow the post's I'm sure you will get it up in no time. In time I will write a new manual and post it on this forum.