Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] HOW-TO get multi-channel HD sound output working over NVIDIA HDMI - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] HOW-TO get multi-channel HD sound output working over NVIDIA HDMI (/showthread.php?tid=59877)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

- blazini - 2010-05-28

srv1973 Wrote:alsamixer is still at version 1.0.22 and is NOT showing me any IEC958 devices to unmute Sad

Using this command from here: http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMCbuntu#HDMI_audio_on_NVidia_GeForce_G2xx
Code:
sudo echo "options snd-hda-intel model=6stack-dig" >> /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
which adds a line to the bottom of that .conf file have me 3 SPDIF devices in my alsamixer, which I otherwise have none. I recall I used to have 1 IEC device but through much fooling around it doesn't show up anymore. I'm not really sure what that line actually does but somehow I think it's a step in the right direction

To anyone that actually does have HDMI surround working with Pulseaudio, what is the actual profile that shows up in pavcontrol? Right now I get analog 5.1, analog 7.1, etc. and HDMI Digital stereo, but what is the label for HDMI surround?

- srv1973 - 2010-05-28

harryzimm Wrote:What exact setup are you using. Do you have a reciever or is it tv audio you want.

I've got a receiver (Harman Kardon AVR255).

I got this working today briefly, by running:

Code:
AMIXER=/usr/bin/amixer

$AMIXER -q -c 0 sset 'Master',0 unmute && $AMIXER -q -c 0 sset 'Master',0 100
$AMIXER -q -c 0 sset 'IEC958 Default PCM',0 unmute
$AMIXER -q -c 0 sset 'IEC958',0 unmute && $AMIXER -q -c 0 sset 'IEC958',1 unmute

I say briefly, cos after I installed some plugins in XBMC, watched a few movie trailer with the apple plugin (btw. the A-Team looks horrible; disappointing cos I had high expectations for that one!), and now my sound is gone again.

I'm rebooting now, see if that fixes it again...

[EDIT]
And yes, rebooting gets me my sound back. Let's see how long it will stay for this time...

- robo989 - 2010-05-29

harryzimm Wrote:Hi,

Here are the exact steps i took to enable 5.1 multi-channel audio via hdmi with xbmc. I use the latest pvr-testing branch
ppa from yavdr running on lucid mini. I suspect some of you are getting problems due to running a full desktop,
since i only run a minimal install i have no clue how to fix this.

1)
download the lucid mini image from here.

Download unetbootin to install via usb. Open unetbootin and select diskimage and browse to the mini.iso.Choose ur usb drive and hit ok.
Once unetbootin has copied the files to usb, go to the root of the usb drive and open syslinux.cfg with a text editor and replace

Code:
label unetbootindefault
menu label Default
kernel /ubnkern
append initrd=/ubninit priority=low vga=normal --

Only code in my syslinux.cfg after doing what you said is...

Code:
include menu.cfg
default /menu.c32
prompt 0
timeout 0

- harryzimm - 2010-05-29

Thats very strange. If you are using unetbootin with lucid mini.iso i have no clue why its different from my experience. It wont matter anyway, it just makes installing ubuntu a bit easier. Just proceed with the install.

cheers.

Edit.. Are you sure your looking in syslinux.cfg and not isolinux.cfg

- robo989 - 2010-05-29

harryzimm Wrote:Thats very strange. If you are using unetbootin with lucid mini.iso i have no clue why its different from my experience. It wont matter anyway, it just makes installing ubuntu a bit easier. Just proceed with the install.

cheers.

Edit.. Are you sure your looking in syslinux.cfg and not isolinux.cfg

Hi thanks for the reply, yeah definately syslinux.cfg...

I managed to insert the code overwriting the settings for one of the options in the menu selection (Install\Expert\CLI Install etc) so no probs.

However having slight problem, after installation has completed and after setting my boot drive back to the hard drive once the POST screen has completed I just get a flashing cursor about 1\5th way down the screen with no writing.

I have a Revo 3610 like yourself.

Ta for any advice on that Wink

- harryzimm - 2010-05-29

During the install, when you are asked to install grub to the master boot record. Choose no and type /dev/sdc1

cheers

Edit. Another way you could do it is to insert the flash drive again and boot from it. It will now boot into lucid from the hdd because grub was installed on the flash. After you log into lucid type:

Quote:sudo grub-install /dev/sdc1

remove the flash and reboot.

- Roelio - 2010-05-29

harryzimm Wrote:Thats very strange. If you are using unetbootin with lucid mini.iso i have no clue why its different from my experience.

Same here this doesn't make any sense Huh

For the GRUB I tried everything to make Lucid work but same story as robo989.

- harryzimm - 2010-05-29

Its because the installer assumes that the primary hdd is /dev/sda. The revo hdd is (in my experience) /dev/sdc. So it wont boot if you dont install grub to the proper hdd. This also happend to me the first time i installed lucid.

cheers

- Roelio - 2010-05-29

That's clear. I'm installing it now on a SD card /dev/sdb so when I need to set my CRUB I'll put /dev/sdb1 that must work then.

ThanksWink

Update: Perfect that did the trick... I also needed to wait a bit longer for the shell so if the cursor disappears guys give it some time it will load.

- Roelio - 2010-05-29

After this I changed my Audio to Digital and after the reboot it won't even load XBMC anymore.

I'm going back to Karmic and take the steps I took earlier again Laugh

- harryzimm - 2010-05-29

just run the nvidia installer again. This has also happend to me in the past Smile

cheers

- Roelio - 2010-05-29

Oh damn I'm just a bit to late for that Wink But the Alsamixer was looking good with those S/PDIF channel's? If I'm only using HDMI?

- harryzimm - 2010-05-29

Yep. Its exactly the same as mine.

- Roelio - 2010-05-29

Great going to install it again Oo I'd like to keep me busy haha.

ps. your Avatar make me thinking of this song Shed my Skin

- Roelio - 2010-05-29

Harryzimm thanks so much again Wink It's stable and working great.

I assume you noticed that if you config it like this the receiver will no longer show PCM Multi Channel but Dolby Digital 5.1 if you play FLAC.

Can you clear this out for me please? I think it's all fine if it isn't down streaming the bit rate.