Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] HOW-TO get multi-channel HD sound output working over NVIDIA HDMI - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] HOW-TO get multi-channel HD sound output working over NVIDIA HDMI (/showthread.php?tid=59877)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

- harryzimm - 2010-05-29

no problem.

I dont have any FLAC files to test unfortunately. Do you have a sample? Also try disabling dolby digital capable reciever in audio settings. My reciever accepts dolby and dts but i disable them anyway so xbmc sends pcm instead. The reason bieng i need xbmc to resample the audio so it can sync playback to display. (my plasma wont do 24hz).

cheers

- Roelio - 2010-05-29

I'm so happy !! I'm so happy Tralala lalala lalaaaaaaaaa Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

I'm turning it off for sure. PCM Multi is working and the sound it much better then when I let my receiver do the work Eek

And for the final even Avatar (40GB) on the space part doesn't give any juddering no more Shocked

Thanks you so much for your time and help!

- harryzimm - 2010-05-29

No problem i'm glad its working Smile

- Roelio - 2010-05-29

PCM Multichannel on Lucid with Nvidia 256.25 (Judder proof)

With special thanks to Harryzimm!

- Venares - 2010-05-30

First I'd like to thank everyone here for there work.
Took me a bit of reading but I now have full Multichannel PCM from my Revo Big Grin

Now to my question, and I appologies if this has been covered before but its a rather big thread.
Is there any way to push Stereo content as 2 channel and not Multi so my amp does the PLII upmixing?

- harryzimm - 2010-05-30

Yes, but you have to select 2.0 for you speaker configuration in system-system-audio output when you are watching stereo content and then switch it back for multi-channel.

cheers.

- Venares - 2010-05-30

Darn, i was hoping there was a more automated way to do it.
Oh well, I can live with it if it means LPCM working.

- robo989 - 2010-05-30

harryzimm Wrote:Its because the installer assumes that the primary hdd is /dev/sda. The revo hdd is (in my experience) /dev/sdc. So it wont boot if you dont install grub to the proper hdd. This also happend to me the first time i installed lucid.

cheers

Cheers bud Smile

Will give it a shot

Thanx for the indepth consise guide, surprised nobody had bothered until now...well not in the kind of language someone who doesn't use linux would understand.

Fantastic guide...well hope so lol not actually followed it through yet but looks easy enough.

- ClarkyCat - 2010-05-31

Venares Wrote:Now to my question, and I appologies if this has been covered before but its a rather big thread.
Is there any way to push Stereo content as 2 channel and not Multi so my amp does the PLII upmixing?

There's this ticket on trac.

Hopefully one of the devs will pick it up.

Tim

- noeikujoo - 2010-06-09

I followed this thread first's post instructions and updated Ubuntu 9.04 alsa to 1.0.23 version. After update I got multi-channel HD sound output working over Nvidia HDMI, but now XBMC (9.11) sometimes shows error message: "Failed to Initialize Audio Device, Check Your Audio Settings" and I have no audio when playing music or watching videos. If I stop playback and restart it again, no error anymore and everything works fine. Anyone else had this problem? When using AC3/DTS passthrough I got no problems with audio.

- srv1973 - 2010-06-09

noeikujoo Wrote:I followed this thread first's post instructions and updated Ubuntu 9.04 alsa to 1.0.23 version. After update I got multi-channel HD sound output working over Nvidia HDMI, but now XBMC (9.11) sometimes shows error message: "Failed to Initialize Audio Device, Check Your Audio Settings" and I have no audio when playing music or watching videos. If I stop playback and restart it again, no error anymore and everything works fine. Anyone else had this problem? When using AC3/DTS passthrough I got no problems with audio.

Hi, yes, I have a similar issue: sometime multi-channel sound just stops working. I don't get an error message though. Rebooting solves it (fortunately rebooting is pretty darn quick with Lucid).

I haven't tested AC3/DTS when this happens, will keep that in mind and next time this happens I'll try that.

- mfaine - 2010-06-11

I followed this guide and got it working with very few changes. However, I cannot get digital anything to work. Analog audio outputs just fine. It is even multi-channel but if I turn Digital on in XBMC I get the failed to initialize audio device error message.

Zotac MAG HD-ND01 (ION)
Onkyo SR606 Reciever using HDMI (SPDIF, also connected)
Alsa 1.0.23
Nvidia 256

Code:
$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: ALC888 Analog [ALC888 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 1: ALC888 Digital [ALC888 Digital]
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]

Code:
$ aplay -L
null
    Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
default:CARD=NVidia
    HDA NVidia, ALC888 Analog
    Default Audio Device
front:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    Front speakers
surround40:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
surround41:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
surround50:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
surround51:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
surround71:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers
iec958:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, ALC888 Digital
    IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, NVIDIA HDMI
    HDMI Audio Output

I had to make minor modifications to remapping to make it work correctly with my setup. Speaker test correctly outputs audio to every channel.

Code:
$ cat /etc/asound.conf
pcm.!hdmi-remap {
type asym
playback.pcm {
type plug
slave.pcm "remap-surround71"
}
}

pcm.!remap-surround71 {
  type route
  slave.pcm "hw:0,3"
  ttable {
  0.0= 1   # front left
  1.1= 1   # front right
  2.6= 1   # rear left
  3.7= 1   # rear right
  4.2= 1   # center
  5.3= 1   # lfe
  6.4= 1   # side left
  7.5= 1   # side right
  }
}

Any help getting Digital output to work would really be appreciated.

*** UPDATE ***

I had been testing so far with only .mkv video files but I loaded an avi file in XBMC and there was sound. The input was Digital/HDMI and yet I could still hear the audio. This is a first for me on this new computer. It was only 2 channels (stereo) but I think it means that my configuration may be very close to working correctly. Again, any help getting Digital output to work would really be appreciated.

-Mark

- Netcastle - 2010-06-23

delete

- Tyler Durden - 2010-07-14

Will this work if I upgrade to the newer 256 nvidia drivers?

- X3lectric - 2010-07-30

alanwww1 Wrote:There is one trick which has to be done to keep navigation sound all the time. There is a bug (xbmc or alsa) that when you play ac3, dts track and press spacebar to pause 2-3 secs and start playback again, you loose navsounds until restarting xbmc. See ticket: http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/7338

To correct this do as follows:

Code:
cp /usr/share/xbmc/system/keymaps/remote.xml  .xbmc/userdata/keymaps/remote.xml
cp /usr/share/xbmc/system/keymaps/keyboard.xml  .xbmc/userdata/keymaps/keyboard.xml
nano .xbmc/userdata/keymaps/*.xml
In both files at global settings change "Pause" to "Play"

That's it, now it is all done !! Big Grin

This is actually *incomplete* destination path should be
Code:
cp /usr/share/xbmc/system/keymaps/remote.xml   /home/[b][color=Red]username[/color][/b]/.xbmc/userdata/keymaps/remote.xml
cp /usr/share/xbmc/system/keymaps/keyboard.xml   /home/[color=Red][b]username[/b][/color]/.xbmc/userdata/keymaps/keyboard.xml
change username with your actual username in my case its xbmc

Also theres actually many pause to replace here...which ones exactly, line(s) number pls.