Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] HOW-TO get multi-channel HD sound output working over NVIDIA HDMI - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] HOW-TO get multi-channel HD sound output working over NVIDIA HDMI (/showthread.php?tid=59877)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

- alanwww1 - 2009-11-19

genka Wrote:Alan, I understand that the process is not foolproof and you can't provide a solution for every problem on all hardware platforms.
I have one more question. In your guide you show screenshots from Gnome sound config. How do you get this application? I can't find anything with similar looks through the menus on Karmic.

You are right. The screenshot is form the beta or release candidate version. It disappeared from the stable version. I am sure there is package which we need to install to get it back.

Note that i think these settings only apply to the gstreamer enabled apps and navigation sounds.

- ali B - 2009-11-20

I have a simple (hopefully) question.
setup:
I'm using an ASUS P5N7A-VM (NV9300 integrated skt 775 MOBO - similar to your GA-E7AUM-DS2H) and I'm trying to get HDMI working on LIVE (9.04.1 or 9.11a2 - take your pick... both exhibit the same issue)
I'm not trying for DTS-HD or TRUEHD audio, as my Receiver isn't new enough. it's an S/PDIF DTS capable receiver.
(HDMI output goes to my Samsung TV, which then has an optical out to my receiver. this setup works fine with other HDMI sources such as my CATV box)
my question:
should AC-3/DTS streams be working out of the box over HDMI and it's just a matter of finding the right settings, or do I need to follow this guide fully for passthrough to work without downmixing to 2-channel?
at the moment, I get perfect sound on native 2-channel audio, but on 5.1 channel sources I get noise.
alternatively, should the optical out on the MOBO work out of the box for this (atm, it's dificult to test this due to physical considerations, but if it would be an easy solution then maybe that's the way forward...)

Many thanks
Al

- lloydsmart - 2009-11-20

ali B Wrote:(HDMI output goes to my Samsung TV, which then has an optical out to my receiver. this setup works fine with other HDMI sources such as my CATV box)

Hi. It's very unlikely that this will enable you to get the full DTS or AC3 sound out to your amp. In situations like these, the TV almost always passes simple stereo out of the optical port, even though S/PDIF is technically capable of doing the bitstream.

When you say it's working with your cable box, are you sure that you're actually getting the 5.1 signal from the box into your amp? Or could it be some sort of Pro-Logic mode applied to a downmixed stereo input?

- ali B - 2009-11-21

Hmmm good point.

I'm pretty sure multi channel is going across, but i'll investigate this properly (most material coming off the V+ box is 2-channel, except the HD channels)
the xbox goes direct into the amp as that's connected via component to the TV so i can't count that.

Shutdown - Abnormal1 - 2009-11-22

Has anyone had trouble with shutdown after updating to the new alsa on xbmc live alpha 2.

It appears that after I update the alsa version with this guide xbmc will not shutdown, reboot or suspend. Also in System settings Shutdown function has a value of ?0? instead of shutdown after alsa upgrade.

Im thinking that it could be caused by alsa upgrade re-compiling the kernel so is there a way to undo the alsa upgrade and restore the kernel to the original alpha 2 version.

Thanks
Neil

- woZa - 2009-11-22

Hi. Thanks for the great guide. I found this after I spent ages wandering why mythtv wouldn't play and 44100Hz files.

I have a Gigabyte e7aum-ds2h and am running mythtv on gentoo. I have disabled the onboard audio and am using only the hdmi audio.

Running alsamixer I have no master or pcm controls, only what's labeled as s/pdif. The audio is working just fine apart from being unable to control the volume from the pc.

Is this right? Is it because the device is only a passthrough or should I be able to get some master / pcm controls for the hdmi?

Thanks again.
A

- pilluli - 2009-11-22

Sorry for the little offtopic. I am trying to solve my 6.1 channel mixing (see this post) through spdif. I saw this comment and thought it may help me

alanwww1 Wrote:When coming back from reboot, we create a custom virtual alsa device because in nvidia driver, speaker channels are wrongly set up, so we need to change the speaker channel configuration. For this i created a "remap-surround71" virtual device in this file:

I am quite lost in alsa configuration, but, can I also remap the spdif output? specially passthrough?

Also, is it possible to have the test files in the first post posted again, rapidshare says they are not available.

Many thanks,

- alanwww1 - 2009-11-22

woZa Wrote:Is this right? Is it because the device is only a passthrough or should I be able to get some master / pcm controls for the hdmi?

I think it is normal as we want to pass all sounds without any modifications so we pass by alsa sound processing modules. You should change volume on the AV receiver.

- alanwww1 - 2009-11-22

pilluli Wrote:I am quite lost in alsa configuration, but, can I also remap the spdif output? specially passthrough? Also, is it possible to have the test files in the first post posted again, rapidshare says they are not available.
Many thanks,

There is no sense or possibility to reconfigure channel settings INSIDE a bitstreamed DTS or AC3 file. The only way to reconfigure the channels is to decode the streams (with unticking the ac3, dts capable receiver options int xbmc setup) and use multichannel lpcm connection to your receiver. But this only works through hdmi.

I updated the download links for the test files.

Cheers,

Alan

- pilluli - 2009-11-22

Many thanks for replaying to my post Alan, please feel free to tell me if you think this is not related to this thread and we should move to another... or just ... ignore me. Laugh

alanwww1 Wrote:There is no sense or possibility to reconfigure channel settings INSIDE a bitstreamed DTS or AC3 file.

You are right. In passthrough there should be no channels mixed... I am more confused than ever as using my dvd player ac3 works fine (so my onkyo and speaker setup seem to work). However, my htpc+xbmc does not

Do you think this problem could be caused by software (wrong alsa/xbmc config) or if using passthrough then the only problem is hardware (bad cable/connection)? Huh

I am very tempted to follow your guide to see if I can solve my problem. My receiver is old, so no hdmi input but my tv does have an optical audio out. I am not sure if the TV will do passthrough to optical out when ac3/dts is in the hdmi input though...

Quote:I updated the download links for the test files.

Many thanks Alan, i will try with those (now rapidshare is telling me to wait or pay Rolleyes)

- pilluli - 2009-11-22

Ok, things just went a little wierd. I tried your sample (mkv,dts) and it indeed works and all my 5.1 channels are alright.

Could you please Alan test my two samples to see if they work for you? (wma and ac3)

Now my only guess is that somehow xbmc does not activate passthrough in those wma (understandable) and ac3 (not so much) files but it does if streamed in a mkv video file...

regards,

- alanwww1 - 2009-11-22

pilluli Wrote:You are right. In passthrough there should be no channels mixed... I am more confused than ever as using my dvd player ac3 works fine (so my onkyo and speaker setup seem to work). However, my htpc+xbmc does not

I am very tempted to follow your guide to see if I can solve my problem. My receiver is old, so no hdmi input but my tv does have an optical audio out. I am not sure if the TV will do passthrough to optical out when ac3/dts is in the hdmi input though...

It is absolutely strange how can your DVD player and your htpc send ac3 stream differently. I mean neither of them touches it at all, just passes to the receiver. Are you sure that you are not decoding the streams in your htpc ? Is AC3, DTS lid light up on your av receiver ? It is theoretically impossible to have a different channel mapping from the two devices.

I don't suggest using my guide to your setup as it will not give you any more options or correct anything in terms of spdif output. So i would say yous should try to find the right setup for spdif. Let me know if i can help in anything !

- pilluli - 2009-11-23

alanwww1 Wrote:It is absolutely strange how can your DVD player and your htpc send ac3 stream differently. I mean neither of them touches it at all, just passes to the receiver. Are you sure that you are not decoding the streams in your htpc ? Is AC3, DTS lid light up on your av receiver ? It is theoretically impossible to have a different channel mapping from the two devices.

I don't suggest using my guide to your setup as it will not give you any more options or correct anything in terms of spdif output. So i would say yous should try to find the right setup for spdif. Let me know if i can help in anything !

Hi Alan,

many thanks for your comments and entire post, they really did help. Could you please try the ac3 sample I posted before (post 131 in this thread)? Does it activate passthrough in your set up?

My receiver does activate dts and dolby. Right now I think all is ok in my setup but the sample I was using somehow does not activate passthrough and therefore I sure can not get 6 channels through spdif. Also i had activated "downmix all channels to stereo" in xbmc so of course channels were mixed up and it took me a while to realize it was not doing passthrough.

If you confirm the sample does get converted then I guess I can just check why xbmc can not activate passthrough. In any case, your dts sample does work (passthrough spdif) and also the aac does not (ok as i guess can not do passthrough) so everything seems to be working right now except that especific sample.

Again, many thanks for your help.

- qnox - 2009-11-23

Abnormal1 Wrote:Has anyone had trouble with shutdown after updating to the new alsa on xbmc live alpha 2.

It appears that after I update the alsa version with this guide xbmc will not shutdown, reboot or suspend. Also in System settings Shutdown function has a value of ?0? instead of shutdown after alsa upgrade.

Im thinking that it could be caused by alsa upgrade re-compiling the kernel so is there a way to undo the alsa upgrade and restore the kernel to the original alpha 2 version.

Thanks
Neil

I have same issue as You - did anybody find solution for this? I didn't niticed if its coused by alsa software, i'll check.

- alanwww1 - 2009-11-23

qnox Wrote:I have same issue as You - did anybody find solution for this? I didn't niticed if its coused by alsa software, i'll check.

Hey guys !

Be aware that this guide was tested only on Jaunty. On Karmic there are some different things needs update.