Kodi Community Forum
How to connect to remote NAS ftp server with xbmc? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: OS independent / Other (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=228)
+---- Thread: How to connect to remote NAS ftp server with xbmc? (/showthread.php?tid=60976)

Pages: 1 2

How to connect to remote NAS ftp server with xbmc? - heder - 2009-11-06

- prae5 - 2009-11-06

I haven't used ftp as a source for a long time, but it should work.

I would try two things.

1. Try adding the ftp source to a machine on your home network to make sure it works.
2. Provide a debug log when adding / accessing the source.

- briskeby - 2010-07-26

I have exactly the same problem. I am running XBMC on a Windows XP laptop. When I try to create a ftp source it works fine when I use my local network address 192.168.0.xxx. But when I use my public internet ip or domain name it does not work. But from any other program (for example firefox) I have no problem to connect with ftp using my public domain name or public ip from the same XP machine as XBMC is running on. XBMC has problems using ftp over internet obviously.

Can't find anything in the xbmc.log on FTP. How do I get a better debug log?

I would like to be able to connect to my FTP server when I am outside of my LAN. And as I said, it has nothing to to with firewall settings, other ftp clients work.

Something with active/passive mode...?

- joecooper84 - 2010-07-26

heder Wrote:5) In the 'add network location' dialog I select: protocol: 'ftp server'
6) Then I type the server address.
server address:ftp://heder.dyndns.dk
remote path: (empty field)
username: myusername
passwork: mypasswork

I haven't tried this yet so I'm taking a blind shot, but maybe for server address don't include the ftp:// portion as it is specified to be an FTP address in the protocol portion?

- WiSo - 2010-07-26

It could be an active vs passive ftp thingy and you might not forward all required ports. XBMC is using on mode and won't switch when it doesn't work afaik. dunno which one it's using.

- jhsrennie - 2010-07-27

joecooper84 Wrote:I haven't tried this yet so I'm taking a blind shot, but maybe for server address don't include the ftp:// portion as it is specified to be an FTP address in the protocol portion?

Yes. I've just tried it, and the server address should just be the server name i.e. heder.dyndns.dk.

JR

- linuxluemmel - 2010-07-27

This is just a suggestion : Use a vpn connection instead a ftp-connection.
I guess openvpn would be your friend ;-)

- briskeby - 2010-07-30

linuxluemmel Wrote:This is just a suggestion : Use a vpn connection instead a ftp-connection.
I guess openvpn would be your friend ;-)

My Buffalo LinkStation Live only supports ftp and a web browser interface so a vpn would be hard I guess...
This problem is a bit irritating. I can connect from outside the LAN with several different ftp clients, and I tried both passive and active ftp by forcing this in the FileZilla client and it works perfectly every time, but the XBMC ftp client fails with a timeout error code 28, see log (in which I changed server names etc...)

http://pastebin.com/download.php?i=YjPnf6vf

I have noticed that my ftp server replies with the internal ip 192.168.x.x but all other clients have no problem with this...

Code:
Answer:    220 192.168.x.x FTP server ready

Any idea?

- MartijnGP - 2010-07-30

The best way to do this is mounting the FTP directory as a virtual filesystem. Just look for "mount FTP as disk", there is enough software available.

This way, you have an abstract layer. The FTP drive will work as a normal drive and XBMC doesn't need to take care of this. You can have all the features you want and the mounting is done by specialized software, whereas XBMC only provides this as an added feature.

- briskeby - 2010-08-01

MartijnGP Wrote:The best way to do this is mounting the FTP directory as a virtual filesystem. Just look for "mount FTP as disk", there is enough software available.

Great idea! I will try this. It would also simplify browsing the files outside of xbmc.

RE: How to connect to remote NAS ftp server with xbmc? - greenhornet - 2013-08-13

I would like to know if this problem was ever resolved? Where you able to accomplish what you were looking for?
I want to do the same thing you were trying and some direction would be nice.

RE: How to connect to remote NAS ftp server with xbmc? - muggisan - 2013-09-20

seems like I got i to work in xbmc 13 alpha 5

my NAS is QNAP.

Forwarded the port on my router to the NAS.
activated FTP and shared the directories I wanted on the NAS

I connected my smartphone to a test computer where the xbmc i installed.
I connected the smart phone to use its mobile network got get another external ip, so I was on a remote connection.

I went into the xbmc 13 and added the share:
videos --> Files --> Add Videos --> Browse --> Add network location -->
I then cycle through the Protocol to I get "FTP server"
in 'server adress' I write my external ip adress: 41.145.3.46 <--- example!
in Port i write the port i forwarded to the QNAP NAS in my router settings.

Write your username and password in the 2 last lines and hit 'OK'

i'm then back in the *browse for new share".
look in top and select the ftp://41.145.3.46:21/

I tested that i could access the FTP in total commander, also an success.

i dont know if it work in xbmc 12 havn't tried it yet

RE: How to connect to remote NAS ftp server with xbmc? - Jace_mindu - 2013-12-26

Tried your solution with 12.2 Frodo. I'm able to get my FTP address to show in the 'Browse for new share' menu, but it is unable to connect to my NAS unit. It hangs then refreshes the menu.

I'm running a DNS-320.

I've been able to set up SMB access, but XBMC loses access to the NAS every 20 minutes or so. This is unique to XBMC, both on my HTPC and xBox, but not a problem with my PC or PS3 access. I'm trying to set up FTP to resolve this.

Has anyone come up with a solution to this issue?

I'm not keen on any linux code writing solutions, I would like a user friendly solution if possible.

Thanks!!!

RE: How to connect to remote NAS ftp server with xbmc? - transcender - 2013-12-26

you can increase the logging level in the advancedsettings.xml
I don't recall the parameterization, but a quick forum/wiki/google search should get you sorted there.

(2010-07-26, 08:32)briskeby Wrote: I have exactly the same problem. I am running XBMC on a Windows XP laptop. When I try to create a ftp source it works fine when I use my local network address 192.168.0.xxx. But when I use my public internet ip or domain name it does not work. But from any other program (for example firefox) I have no problem to connect with ftp using my public domain name or public ip from the same XP machine as XBMC is running on. XBMC has problems using ftp over internet obviously.

Can't find anything in the xbmc.log on FTP. How do I get a better debug log?

I would like to be able to connect to my FTP server when I am outside of my LAN. And as I said, it has nothing to to with firewall settings, other ftp clients work.

Something with active/passive mode...?

RE: How to connect to remote NAS ftp server with xbmc? - Jace_mindu - 2013-12-26

Managed to FTP and open the file using Filezilla. This is what spilled out:

<advancedsettings>
<useddsfanart>true</useddsfanart>
<cputempcommand>cputemp</cputempcommand>
<gputempcommand>gputemp</gputempcommand>
<samba>
<clienttimeout>30</clienttimeout>
</samba>
<network>
<disableipv6>true</disableipv6>
</network>
</advancedsettings>

I'm guessing that the 30 is for minutes? Might explained the issued. I don't understand why it is 'timing out' when a connection should be in place whilst I'm watching something. I'll change the timeout to 1440. I don't need xbmc to time out at all as I'll turn it off the HTPC when I'm finished with it.