Kodi Community Forum
how come there isn't a more combined effort to add a more integrated plugin/app repo? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: how come there isn't a more combined effort to add a more integrated plugin/app repo? (/showthread.php?tid=61024)

Pages: 1 2

how come there isn't a more combined effort to add a more integrated plugin/app repo? - Ayala - 2009-11-07

how come there isn't a more combined effort to add a more integrated plugin/app repo solution?

I only ask because these plugins are a big part of xbmc as an media center solution. from online media to netflix and such, they are all very appealing extensions that would help the couch experience.

- jmarshall - 2009-11-07

Actually there has been a big push for this, but unfortunately those that volunteered to do it got caught up in real life stuff.

We do have an interim solution that we're hoping to be ready for Camelot final, and after that we have a number of changes lined up (the addons branch) to help unify the various types of addons that XBMC can have.

Cheers,
Jonathan

- seedzero - 2009-11-07

jmarshall Wrote:Actually there has been a big push for this, but unfortunately those that volunteered to do it got caught up in real life stuff.

We do have an interim solution that we're hoping to be ready for Camelot final, and after that we have a number of changes lined up (the addons branch) to help unify the various types of addons that XBMC can have.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Only semi-related, but it would be nice if this addon repo that is being spoke of could also get scraper updates (if only for when they break) Wink

- Livin - 2009-11-08

JM,
Do you plans include a structured install/uninstall methodology?

Meaning...

requirements that the plugin/script have a set of instructions for XBMC that tell it how to install, gives choices to auto create as favorite, add sources, etc.

- rwparris2 - 2009-11-08

Livin Wrote:requirements that the plugin/script have a set of instructions for XBMC that tell it how to install

The current svn repo installer can display a readme file. If you'd like something more than this, please explain.

Livin Wrote:gives choices to auto create as favorite, add sources, etc.
Auto create as favorite? Add sources? I'm not sure what these things mean in the context of plugin/script...

Wait until we manage to get the thing out the door, then we'll talk about features Smile

- Livin - 2009-11-08

rwparris2 Wrote:The current svn repo installer can display a readme file. If you'd like something more than this, please explain.

I'm talking about a set of instructions for XBMC to do the install, not for end users

rwparris2 Wrote:Auto create as favorite? Add sources? I'm not sure what these things mean in the context of plugin/script...

plugins and scripts are all manual at this point... copy, create favorite, etc... I'm suggesting a formal methodology with an engine inside XBMC to enable a true install/uninstall which walks a user through some options for the item installed... maybe even allows for generating favorites, home screen menu items, etc

rwparris2 Wrote:Wait until we manage to get the thing out the door, then we'll talk about features Smile

What "thing"? Typically you discuss features 'before' you build and release something Wink

- grassmunk - 2009-11-10

Basically it sounds like you're looking for something like Apple App store which I think would be a great idea. Obviously keep it more open than the app store, maybe something more akin to the firefox plugins:

- Complete Scripts/Plugins
- Experimental

All the behind the scenes work (methodology, installations etc) will obviously need to be decided but it sounds like that is already happening.

- arosequi - 2009-11-11

grassmunk Wrote:Basically it sounds like you're looking for something like Apple App store which I think would be a great idea. Obviously keep it more open than the app store, maybe something more akin to the firefox plugins:

- Complete Scripts/Plugins
- Experimental

All the behind the scenes work (methodology, installations etc) will obviously need to be decided but it sounds like that is already happening.

I think it should be more like aptitude than Apple App Store (allowing us to add different repositories), but I agree besides that.

A simple start would be to have a screen that pulls a list of all the possible plugins and allows you to install/uninstall them? It could just be really simple at first -- downloading it into the user's plugins/ folder. Then maybe work on a larger effort to integrate more features?

- seedzero - 2009-11-11

arosequi Wrote:I think it should be more like aptitude than Apple App Store (allowing us to add different repositories), but I agree besides that.

A simple start would be to have a screen that pulls a list of all the possible plugins and allows you to install/uninstall them? It could just be really simple at first -- downloading it into the user's plugins/ folder. Then maybe work on a larger effort to integrate more features?

Definitely shouldn't be called "app store". Besides not liking that name it's also what Plex calls their plugin installer.

- jmarshall - 2009-11-11

It won't be called an "app" anything. Nor will it be called a "store".

Once the basic layout is finalized (probably after Camelot is out) we'll certainly be looking to keep things as open as possible, as always.

Cheers,
Jonathan

- azido - 2009-11-12

rwparris2 Wrote:Auto create as favorite? Add sources? I'm not sure what these things mean in the context of plugin/script...

..i think he's more likely heading for a seamless integration into xbmc, like for example if it's a movie trailer plugin, it should go automatically into the movies submenu as another node to select upon installation..

you know, that "one click does it all" solution Rolleyes

- Temhil - 2009-11-12

As redtapemedia mentioned it earlier Plex has a plugin installer which is very well done, with description about what you can install and logos. Having something similar in XBMC supporting skins, scripts and scrapers of plugin, would be definitively a huge plus to XBMC.

- HexusOdy - 2009-11-12

I agree with everything said here, better plugin integration is one area thats been left behind while everything else has moved forward.

One potential problem I can see are legal issues.Where plugins at the moment are unofficial, user created and user distributed if some of them were to become official it would open the XBMC team up to problems with copyright, illegal usage etc etc

AMT Lite for example is probably the most popular plugin, or was until it broke, but if that became officially endorsed by being accepted into a repo run by XBMC or integrated in XBMC then Apple's notoriously beady eyed legal team would probably jump all over XBMC.

On saying all that Plex seem to get away with a lot of plugins that I would think fall outside the original terms of use.

- BlueCop - 2009-11-12

I can't wait to see what comes of this. I got to get those descriptions xmls in.

HexusOdy: Would similar terms of use apply to some of the sites that xbmc uses for scraping? That meta data could have copyright restrictions right? has there been legal push back from that?

I am also curious about the legal status of things like ad blockers or greesemonkey plugin for firefox. This seems like a similar or the exact same issue to me. They alter the rendering or content of sites which could break terms of use for that site. We are grabbing the content and reformatting to for a television interface.

the AMT lite problem was caused by user agent strings I think. So if we lie about our user agent for that http transaction it could function again. What are the problems with a lie to the media providers about user agent?

I have no idea what the real legal situation is but its interesting to think on. I just see streaming the same as broadcasting. If they put it out there then I can personally do what I want with it. I can record my HDTV broadcasts for personal use all I want. Most plug-ins I use simply play the media and don't download or save it. In fact XBMC is incapable of saving RTMP streams but only playing them. Breaking technological protections is another area because I don't think any drm is being used so no real technology is being bypassed by xbmc. I believe xbmc has been careful in this and doesn't support rtmpe because of those issue. If flash didn't suck so very hard I probably wouldn't need plug-ins =( please die flash!

sorry I ramble =P

- arosequi - 2009-11-13

HexusOdy Wrote:I agree with everything said here, better plugin integration is one area thats been left behind while everything else has moved forward.

One potential problem I can see are legal issues.Where plugins at the moment are unofficial, user created and user distributed if some of them were to become official it would open the XBMC team up to problems with copyright, illegal usage etc etc

AMT Lite for example is probably the most popular plugin, or was until it broke, but if that became officially endorsed by being accepted into a repo run by XBMC or integrated in XBMC then Apple's notoriously beady eyed legal team would probably jump all over XBMC.

On saying all that Plex seem to get away with a lot of plugins that I would think fall outside the original terms of use.

It's not hard if you allow people to add their own repositories. If XBMC has an official repository, they can keep just the plugins/scripts/etc that have absolutely no legal questions. Then, for the rest of us, we simply add our other repos and download whatever we want from there.

That also solves the problem of quality control -- you can have different repos for stable, beta testing, and crazy development ones.