Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS] Internal Directshow Based Player [NO LONGER DEVELOPED] - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: [WINDOWS] Internal Directshow Based Player [NO LONGER DEVELOPED] (/showthread.php?tid=61355)

- steelman1991 - 2010-04-06

speedklz Wrote:I dont have this path. the closest I can see it c:\doc and settings\user\apdata\xbmc\userdata

Beaten to it - thanks Seb.

- speedklz - 2010-04-06

If it makes any diff what I am tryng to play are dvd files off the server. these files are the full dvd with reatined files structure. video_ts and audio_ts with ful vob and ts files

- speedklz - 2010-04-06

That is where I have the file put.

- speedklz - 2010-04-06

I did notice somehting in the playercorefactory file about hdhomerun, myth and such, is it treating my server as this and using the dvdplayer as dafault for these

- speedklz - 2010-04-06

13:57:00 T:1812 M:353738752 NOTICE: Contents of special://profile/advancedsettings.xml are...
<advancedsettings>
<videosettings>
<defaultdvdplayer>dsplayer</defaultdvdplayer>
</videosettings>
</advancedsettings>
13:57:00 T:1812 M:353726464 NOTICE: Getting hardware information now...
13:57:00 T:1812 M:353726464 NOTICE: Checking resolution 12
13:57:00 T:1812 M:353726464 NOTICE: Default DVD Player: dvdplayer
13:57:00 T:1812 M:353726464 NOTICE: Default Video Player: dvdplayer
13:57:00 T:1812 M:353726464 NOTICE: Default Audio Player: paplayer
here is a part of the log file.

- therealjoeblow - 2010-04-06

blinkseb Wrote:We use the same property for subtitle height that dvdplayer. So, three solutions
  • We let default height like that, and dsplayer user will need to change the height on fisrt launch. Problem, it also change dvdplayer subtitles size.
  • We appy a basic math rule, like "24 -> 12pt". Will works with dvdplayer & dsplayer, but it's confusing as hell, because the gui will show height in some fancy imaginary unit, not in pt.
  • We create a subtitle page in the DSPlayer GUI entry. It would be rather confusing to have two subtitles menu.

As you see, I still need to think about it Wink

Personally, I'd vote for "a basic math rule", but one that consists of applying a %'age of the screen height, so that no matter what resolution I'm watching at, the subtitles are always the same height. Setting a font point size never made sense to me, because it's relative to the screen resolution. IE, if I set 24 point, that probably looks OK for SD material or even DVD material, but it starts getting a bit small at 720p; and is illegibly small at 1080p resolutions. FFDshow has an "Autosize" option that does most of this math, but it still uses the PT sizing to set the basic starting point.

For me, I'd set it at 6.5% of the screen size (that's physical size, *not* resolution), so the fonts are always calculated at the right physical size no matter what I'm watching.

This would require the user to enter a physical screen size in their configuration, but would always result in the desired result, a consistent font size for subs.

EG, on a 19" 4x3 monitor, I want the sub font to physically be 3/4" high which looks nice from a viewing distance of 3' (ie, sitting at the computer desk). On this monitor, the physical height is 11.4". So the math is (.75/11.4*100) =6.6% of the screen size.

And on a 50" 16x9 plasma screen (physical height =24.5"), the same 6.5% of the screen height will give me fonts 1.6" high, which is about right at a 10' viewing distance.

So by simply knowing the screen height and what % of that I want the fonts to take up, I have a simple formula to always get consistent fonts regardless of the input resolution.

Just my $0.02
The REAL Joe

- speedklz - 2010-04-06

Just in case it matters I did install this over an existing version of xbmc

- speedklz - 2010-04-06

I finaly got it working. It was where I had installed this thing several times and tried. I had some mislabling in the advancedsettings file. I got them coreected and now it works.
I was using <videosettings> as was published in a help file somewhere, but the correct wording is <video>
Tadah solved..

Strange Problem - totalhysteria - 2010-04-06

Hi,

Been avidly testing all the releases, with no problems. Until 29028. After a full clean install, all files playback with about 10-12 fps. Very very jerky. Tried changing from FFD to MPC codec, but it makes no difference to the jerykness. Previous releases seem to have been fine on my system. I went through the debug log, but couldnt see anything obvious.

http://pastebin.com/wzZSkX2L

Also, have tried changing from EVR to VMR, - with VMR sound in very out of sysnc, but fps are slightly improved - but not by much.

I think im quite techy as I work in IT, so I hope i haven't missed something obvious.

System is Win 7 x64 / intel 4500mhd graphics.

- edwinmcdunlap - 2010-04-06

Glad to see my screenshot being used in the first post Tongue

- zilexa - 2010-04-06

eh in those screenies (first post) mpc is being used instead of ffdshow...

- macmel - 2010-04-06

oldpainless Wrote:?....mpc is a video codec - haali is a splitter....very different things.....where is the confusion?...we might be able to help.

K

Sorry, got confused with it, my fault Sad

But you pointed it out, and it's all very clear to me now. Decoders, splitters, sources.

Big Grin

- sergiocos - 2010-04-06

Long time DsPlayer user here, since the first days... you've come a long way, congrats!

Using the latest build I've noticed 2 errors.
I see that the one involving embedded subtitles is well known, but the other one is about the subtitle disappearing after aprox 7 to 14 minutes (different episodes, different times), but i get this on EVERY file, no matter the specs (even on the ones with single audio and no embedded subs). Is this issue known? i can post a log if it helps, i'm curious why no other people get this error.

- therealjoeblow - 2010-04-06

oldpainless Wrote:Ok...shame...I'll give it a try in win7 32bit later.

The thing we have to be carefull of when trying to eliminate tearing is that we dont end up with crap PQ - I've seen this with other players; no screen tearing, but not a very sharp picture.

K

Just a quick update and commentary - on my 'test' rig (the Dell Laptop with the integrated Intel 965 video, WinXP x86 SP3), I'm still seeing horrible tearing with r29028. As in the past, a simple reinstall of 28016 over the xbmc install, and a restore of my database from a pre-update backup reinstates perfect playback, with perfect sharp picture and no tearing whatsoever.

I know there was a bit more discussion from Tiben on tearing and potential options to fix it a few pages back, but as yet, nothing has improved since it went south after 28016, every build since then uas been unusable for me on XP with the onboard graphics.

I'm not posting a log since you won't see anything in it, you have to see the screen itself to see how bad the tearing is.

Cheers
The REAL Joe

- furii - 2010-04-06

sergiocos Wrote:I see that the one involving embedded subtitles is well known, but the other one is about the subtitle disappearing after aprox 7 to 14 minutes (different episodes, different times), but i get this on EVERY file, no matter the specs (even on the ones with single audio and no embedded subs). Is this issue known? i can post a log if it helps, i'm curious why no other people get this error.

this has actually been posted about before so you're not the only one. not sure if this has been fixed or not, seb did a lot of work on the subtitles over the last few days. it would help to know what build you're using.