Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS] Internal Directshow Based Player [NO LONGER DEVELOPED] - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: [WINDOWS] Internal Directshow Based Player [NO LONGER DEVELOPED] (/showthread.php?tid=61355)

- therealjoeblow - 2010-04-27

blinkseb Wrote:It's totally impossible to do, too much things have been done since! And tearing is really hard to solve since tiben & I have no tearing at all.

Can you test with mpc with the same graph if you have tearing? Can you tweak the GPU settings (View, Renderer Settigns, GPU Control). If you have no tearing, can you tell us EXACTLY what settings you have in mpc ? (GPU Control, VSync), and (would be soo nice!) what settings you need to enable to get rid of tearing?

In XBMC I have vsync enabled, but with the newer builds it's as if it's being ignored. I thought you had found the magic holy grail with VMR9 in the older builds since they never had any issues with tearing till after 28016, but like I said now it's unusable. I've tried all of the scaling methods with the newer builds, and even simple bilinear causes tearing (although it is worse with the newer PS modes).

In MPC or ZoomPlayer, I also can't use VMR9 without tearing unless I enable "D3D Fullscreen" in MPC or "Use Exclusive Fullscreen with VMR9 Renderless Mode" in ZP, but with both of those modes, then you can't have any other graphics like control bars etc. on the screen.

In both MPC and ZP I use both the standard Overlay Mixer or VMR7 without *ever* any tearing whatsoever. And both of those renderers will do DXVA with subtitles. So I really don't see the need to use VMR9 - whyHuh

If you can't go back to the code from 28016 or earlier that totally avoided tearing with VMR9, can you at least add in the plain old Overlay mixer as an option? Or even VMR7? Then there won't be any tearing issues for anyone since tearing with the overlay mixer is impossible.

Cheers
The REAL Joe

- steelman1991 - 2010-04-27

zilexa Wrote:

Ok, this has nothing to do with my issue or dsplayer, but in MPC-HC, when I play a DVD via File> DVD, select videots folder, I always get ffdshow video decoder. And when I add ffdshow video to external filters only to block it, I get mpeg2 video decoder. When I open a .VOB file, I do get Cyberlink (wich is set to preferred in external filters)...

Besides my described issue, I have found a bug Big Grin
When playing non dxva material using Cyberlink as video decoder, when I click the Video icon during playback to check Cyberlink settings, the ffdshow audio config is opened, instead of the cyberlink video settings. This does NOT happen when playing DXVA material. Test with mpeg4 avi:

I have had this situation for many weeks now - the 2 OSD's available both show different information and like you clicking on the filter name in the xbmc video osd, doesn't always open the correct filters properties dialogue. Reported a while back, think it might still be on Seb's to do list to rectify, though can't really remember - I've just learned to live with it.

- zilexa - 2010-04-27

1: the issue with DVD playback using Cyberlink Powerdvd videodecoder resulting in a black background in XBMC gui --> tried Arcsoft, works flawlessly!

2: the "wrong-OSD-popping-up-bug" --> still there when using Arcsoft for non-dxva material (avi/xvid). So mpeg2/mkv gives me correct OSD. Just like Cyberlink.

reason for switching to Arcsoft video decoder:
First: dvd playback works fine in DSplayer just like when using ffdshow or mpcvideodec (but ofcourse with hardware playback dxva).
Second: After reading more about watching (hd) video in MPC-HC/directshow players on Windows, using nVidia cards or Ati, it's clear that Arcsoft is the way to go since it will give the best DXVA support for most h264/avc profiles, even those not officially supported by Ati. Besides that it supports mpeg2 hardware playback and mpeg-1 and mpeg-4 playback, also support for mov/video camera files. So instead of mpcvideodec and/or Cyberlink I am now using Arcsoft for all video types except Real media, Wmv (although wmv is supported by arcsoft) and FLV (use mpcvideodec for that just to be safe).

suggestion:
Perhaps an idea to add a video rule for FLV in the standard provided filterconfig (when dxva is true than... blabla) since the Youtube plugin for xbmc gives us flv playback.

Once plugins are working again I would like to test various videostreams... see if they are working. Last time plugins worked in DSplayer build, most streams gave me error ("" not declared). Not talking about recent builds ofcourse.

- blinkseb - 2010-04-27

zilexa Wrote:1: the issue with DVD playback using Cyberlink Powerdvd videodecoder resulting in a black background in XBMC gui --> tried Arcsoft, works flawlessly!

2: the "wrong-OSD-popping-up-bug" --> still there when using Arcsoft for non-dxva material (avi/xvid). So mpeg2/mkv gives me correct OSD. Just like Cyberlink.

reason for switching to Arcsoft video decoder:
First: dvd playback works fine in DSplayer just like when using ffdshow or mpcvideodec (but ofcourse with hardware playback dxva).
Second: After reading more about watching (hd) video in MPC-HC/directshow players on Windows, using nVidia cards or Ati, it's clear that Arcsoft is the way to go since it will give the best DXVA support for most h264/avc profiles, even those not officially supported by Ati. Besides that it supports mpeg2 hardware playback and mpeg-1 and mpeg-4 playback, also support for mov/video camera files. So instead of mpcvideodec and/or Cyberlink I am now using Arcsoft for all video types except Real media, Wmv (although wmv is supported by arcsoft) and FLV (use mpcvideodec for that just to be safe).

suggestion:
Perhaps an idea to add a video rule for FLV in the standard provided filterconfig (when dxva is true than... blabla) since the Youtube plugin for xbmc gives us flv playback.

Once plugins are working again I would like to test various videostreams... see if they are working. Last time plugins worked in DSplayer build, most streams gave me error ("" not declared). Not talking about recent builds ofcourse.

This post is definitivly for the user support thread! And if you look closer, there's already a flv rule in the dsfilterconfig.xml

Anyway, the bug with codec property frame is already on my todo list, but it's clearly not a high priority. Futhermore, my exams are in 4 weeks, so I don't have much time for dsplayer.

Next priorities are to track lastest bugs in the renderers, and then take some time to make basic feature works again (fast forward, bookmark, etc...). Talking about that, can someone test that for me? I know fast forward is broken, but what about stream selection (audio & subtitles) and chapter support?

Stupid question here, but how can I seek with xbmc? (not very familiar with xbmc's shortcut Wink).

therealjoeblow Wrote:In XBMC I have vsync enabled, but with the newer builds it's as if it's being ignored. I thought you had found the magic holy grail with VMR9 in the older builds since they never had any issues with tearing till after 28016, but like I said now it's unusable. I've tried all of the scaling methods with the newer builds, and even simple bilinear causes tearing (although it is worse with the newer PS modes).

In MPC or ZoomPlayer, I also can't use VMR9 without tearing unless I enable "D3D Fullscreen" in MPC or "Use Exclusive Fullscreen with VMR9 Renderless Mode" in ZP, but with both of those modes, then you can't have any other graphics like control bars etc. on the screen.

In both MPC and ZP I use both the standard Overlay Mixer or VMR7 without *ever* any tearing whatsoever. And both of those renderers will do DXVA with subtitles. So I really don't see the need to use VMR9 - whyHuh

If you can't go back to the code from 28016 or earlier that totally avoided tearing with VMR9, can you at least add in the plain old Overlay mixer as an option? Or even VMR7? Then there won't be any tearing issues for anyone since tearing with the overlay mixer is impossible.

Cheers
The REAL Joe

Hm, so it seems that tearing is directly related to your hardware, and not dsplayer, it's a good step for us, but clearly not for you :p

The old vmr9 renderer was buggy. Many code was taken from mpc but not all, and there were many incompatibilities. That's why we needed to rewrite all from scratch. Unfortunatly, it seems that our bugs made your tearing disappeared!

We use VMR9 because it's newer that VMR7, and uses DirectX 9, like XBMC (VMR7 uses DirectX 7). I think it may be possible to implement the VMR7 into xbmc, and I'll try after my exams, but it may be impossible. Also, we will never implement the overlay mixer, because :
  • it uses directdraw!
  • support for vista & 7 very limited
  • it's a filter, not a renderer, so we need to rewrite a new renderer Confused
  • it's old :p

- steelman1991 - 2010-04-27

blinkseb Wrote:Next priorities are to track lastest bugs in the renderers, and then take some time to make basic feature works again (fast forward, bookmark, etc...). Talking about that, can someone test that for me? I know fast forward is broken, but what about stream selection (audio & subtitles) and chapter support?

Stupid question here, but how can I seek with xbmc? (not very familiar with xbmc's shortcut Wink).

Don't have any I don't think with multiple audio/subtitles so can't check that for ya - chapter support is fine - no problems - a slight delay in audio when chapter skipping, but I think that's more to do with re-clock as part of the chain than anything DSPlayer related.

Seek in xbmc

Keyboards strokes

f - ff
r - rewind
Up/Down Arrow - chapter skip forward/back
Right/Left Arrow - short skip (can't remember the duration)

- liquidskin76 - 2010-04-27

blinkseb Wrote:... and chapter support?

Hey Seb,

MKV chapters working fine however same as steelman1991 in that i see a slight audio delay after chapter seeking. The difference being i'm not using reclock. This is also present in MPC-HC.

Also, sometimes after chapter seeking the video speeds up for a few seconds then slows to normal playing speed. This is only seen when using mkvsplitter, and doesn't happen when using haali. Again, this is also present in MPC-HC.

Probably a stupid question but would you like a sample and logs!? Nod

Cheers!

P.S. I've been testing with a variety of hardware so both may be common?

- blinkseb - 2010-04-27

liquidskin76 Wrote:Hey Seb,

MKV chapters working fine however same as steelman1991 in that i see a slight audio delay after chapter seeking. The difference being i'm not using reclock. This is also present in MPC-HC.

Also, sometimes after chapter seeking the video speeds up for a few seconds then slows to normal playing speed. This is only seen when using mkvsplitter, and doesn't happen when using haali. Again, this is also present in MPC-HC.

Probably a stupid question but would you like a sample and logs!? Nod

Cheers!

P.S. I've been testing with a variety of hardware so both are most likely common.

Thank you both for the answer. No need of logs & sample because what you describe is an effect of directshow and filters, not dsplayer. As far as I know, there's nothing we can do to prevent that Smile

- finikm - 2010-04-27

As for audio streams, I have a couple of mkv with more than one audio stream I can check it later today when I 'm at home.

On the latest version however, I think that on mkvs with both an HD and a dts track, the dts track was selected automatically and there was no ability to change it, but this might be something to do with ffdshow and I need to test it separately. I 'll try to get as much feedback on multiple audio streams as I can.

blinkseb Wrote:Next priorities are to track lastest bugs in the renderers, and then take some time to make basic feature works again (fast forward, bookmark, etc...). Talking about that, can someone test that for me? I know fast forward is broken, but what about stream selection (audio & subtitles) and chapter support?

Audio Stream selection works fine here with 29443, I tried with several .MKV's with dual audio (DTS main track + Vorbis commentary), no issues.

blinkseb Wrote:Hm, so it seems that tearing is directly related to your hardware, and not dsplayer, it's a good step for us, but clearly not for you :p

Well, not just me, there have been a number of ppl report tearing problems with the newer builds; and outside of XBMC DSPlayer as a whole, I can assure you VMR9 gets *lots* of criticism for tearing on anything but the most powerful hardware. That's why both MPC and ZP have implemented workarounds to solve it by using the fullscreen exclusive mode - because VMR9 is a p.o.s. and there are so many people with problems with it!!!

blinkseb Wrote:The old vmr9 renderer was buggy. Many code was taken from mpc but not all, and there were many incompatibilities. That's why we needed to rewrite all from scratch. Unfortunatly, it seems that our bugs made your tearing disappeared!

We use VMR9 because it's newer that VMR7, and uses DirectX 9, like XBMC (VMR7 uses DirectX 7). I think it may be possible to implement the VMR7 into xbmc, and I'll try after my exams, but it may be impossible. Also, we will never implement the overlay mixer, because :
  • it uses directdraw!
  • support for vista & 7 very limited
  • it's a filter, not a renderer, so we need to rewrite a new renderer Confused
  • it's old :p

Well, nevertheless, VMR9 has major problems within XP on moderate hardware, while VMR7 and Overlay have none of those problems, so unless you take the highroad here and implement some kind of compromise and fix like both MPC and ZP did (they both support VMR7 *and* Overlay, whether they think they're good or not; and they both support Fullscreen Exclusive mode as a less than desireable workaround), then I'm afraid we're at an impass here and 28016 is the end of the road for me and lots of other potential users.

Like I said, with the tearing anything newer is not usable.

Cheers
The REAL Joe

- liquidskin76 - 2010-04-27

blinkseb Wrote:Thank you both for the answer. No need of logs & sample because what you describe is an effect of directshow and filters, not dsplayer. As far as I know, there's nothing we can do to prevent that Smile

Ok, no problem. Do you think it could MPC-HC's matroska splitter at fault as it only happens when using this splitter? I ask as i'm not sure how the splitter works exactly, and if when parsing it would have any bearing on video/audio performance in that area?

Waiting on Albain over at ffdshow to look into an issue with haali/ffdshow/dtsma bitstreaming, then i'll use haali. That will solve the video speeding up issue for me!

On another point, have you heard any news on how the xbmc merge is going?

Cheers

- blinkseb - 2010-04-27

therealjoeblow Wrote:Audio Stream selection works fine here with 29443, I tried with several .MKV's with dual audio (DTS main track + Vorbis commentary), no issues.

Well, not just me, there have been a number of ppl report tearing problems with the newer builds; and outside of XBMC DSPlayer as a whole, I can assure you VMR9 gets *lots* of criticism for tearing on anything but the most powerful hardware. That's why both MPC and ZP have implemented workarounds to solve it by using the fullscreen exclusive mode - because VMR9 is a p.o.s. and there are so many people with problems with it!!!

Well, nevertheless, VMR9 has major problems within XP on moderate hardware, while VMR7 and Overlay have none of those problems, so unless you take the highroad here and implement some kind of compromise and fix like both MPC and ZP did (they both support VMR7 *and* Overlay, whether they think they're good or not; and they both support Fullscreen Exclusive mode as a less than desireable workaround), then I'm afraid we're at an impass here and 28016 is the end of the road for me and lots of other potential users.

Like I said, with the tearing anything newer is not usable.

Cheers
The REAL Joe

I'm not a VMR9 expert at all, so if you tell there's a lot of issues with it, i believe you Wink

But don't forget there're many differences between mpc and xbmc! mpc doesn't need to show an osd at all, except a few text drawing. XBMC has a full gui powered by directx, and this leads to many issues. As I said previously, I'll look for the VMR7, so just be patient one/two month Wink

- blinkseb - 2010-04-27

liquidskin76 Wrote:Ok, no problem. Do you think it could MPC-HC's matroska splitter at fault as it only happens when using this splitter? I ask as i'm not sure how the splitter works exactly, and if when parsing it would have any bearing on video/audio performance in that area?

Waiting on Albain over at ffdshow to look into an issue with haali/ffdshow/dtsma bitstreaming, then i'll use haali. That will solve the video speeding up issue for me!

On another point, have you heard any news on how the xbmc merge is going?

Cheers

Like you said, it's related to the splitter. I don't know exactly how it works, but we just tell the splitter to play from position xx:xx:xx:xx, and that's all. Haali might handling this better than mkvsource Smile

For the merge, everything is going fine, a lots of work is done by the team! I don't have an exact schedule, but we are in touch every day Wink Don't worry :p

blinkseb Wrote:I'm not a VMR9 expert at all, so if you tell there's a lot of issues with it, i believe you Wink

But don't forget there're many differences between mpc and xbmc! mpc doesn't need to show an osd at all, except a few text drawing. XBMC has a full gui powered by directx, and this leads to many issues. As I said previously, I'll look for the VMR7, so just be patient one/two month Wink

Thanks Seb.

Note that I did say the Fullscreen Exclusive mode is "less than desireable" - that's because without the on screen display, XBMC loses most if not all of it's main benefit over any other player, so I agree, this isn't the way to fix it here.

Just for fun, Google "VMR9 tearing" - you can spend literally days reading about this problem with every player and hardware configuration there is on XP, and realize that Micro$oft dropped the ball here big time without ever offering a real fix. That's why so many other players still use VMR7 and Overlay on XP.

Here's what Gabest (original author of MPC) had to say:

Quote:http://www.keyongtech.com/2531395-how-to-prevent-vmr9-tearing

Gabest
You are not alone. Whoever can fix this deserves a nobel price.

BTW - that site noted above with Gabest's quote has a lot of good discussion on trying to fix tearing with VMR9, and code suggestions that might help - you might want to try some of those, but in my experience, VMR9 on XP is a lost cause (unless you can reinstate your "bugs" that seemed to prevent the problem in the older builds :-)

I can hold tight for as long as it takes to resolve this issue.

Good luck with your exams - those are way more important right now!

Cheers
The REAL Joe

- zilexa - 2010-04-27

thanks for the reply & sorry for continuing in this thread.

The tearing issue is weird... in MPC-HC (on XP, ati hd3200/780g/10.2 catalyst) I have no tearing... but I used to have tearing.. didn't modify anything as far as I know. XBMC (and Mediaportal for that sake) always gave tearing. I'll just live with it.

zilexa Wrote:thanks for the reply & sorry for continuing in this thread.

The tearing issue is weird... in MPC-HC (on XP, ati hd3200/780g/10.2 catalyst) I have no tearing... but I used to have tearing.. didn't modify anything as far as I know. XBMC (and Mediaportal for that sake) always gave tearing. I'll just live with it.

Check which renderer you are using - it's likely that you are using either VMR7 or Overlay Mixer if you have no tearing on that platform because it's exactly what I have for hardware (except I'm using Catalyst 9.6) and VMR9 always causes tearing.

Cheers
The REAL Joe