Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS] Internal Directshow Based Player [NO LONGER DEVELOPED] - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: [WINDOWS] Internal Directshow Based Player [NO LONGER DEVELOPED] (/showthread.php?tid=61355)

- zilexa - 2010-06-15

Because of a DNS issue, lots of people in Europe can't reach XBMC for at least a week now. I thought XBMC was down but it wasn't. Using proxy now.
Will test new build on XP with the suggestion to set XBMC Vsync to disabled.

- liquidskin76 - 2010-06-16

bauzl1man Wrote:hi blinkseb

first of, thanks dude for the work! Looks great!

Don't forget the main man tiben20!! Wink Nod

Local nfo no longer used? - extension23 - 2010-06-16

Does the new version no longer use the local nfo file if it exists rather than scraping from themoviedb? I have nfo files for every film and they are no longer being used. Is there a setting I can change to make it default back to the existing nfo?

- WhiningKhan - 2010-06-16

extension23 Wrote:Does the new version no longer use the local nfo file if it exists rather than scraping from themoviedb? I have nfo files for every film and they are no longer being used. Is there a setting I can change to make it default back to the existing nfo?

Phew, so I'm not the only one seeing this... See
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=554098&postcount=31

This does not seem to be related to dsplayer (although my build _is_ from dsplayer branch too), so maybe we should continue the topic on the thread linked above. I think I'll try to build the main trunk this evening to see if it behaves the same way.

- bauzl1man - 2010-06-16

liquidskin76 Wrote:Don't forget the main man tiben20!! Wink Nod

Oh man, so sorry tiben20!! see, that's how you spot noobs Laugh

Rev31004 on WinXP SP3 780G chipset: PERFECT PLAYBACK! - zilexa - 2010-06-16

Hiya! I did a very clean install of rev31004 (uninstalled XBMC completely, restart PC, install XBMC).
On WinXP SP3 with Ati HD 3200/780G chipset.

Result: perfect playback of both SD .avi and HD .mkv files. NO tearing! Amazing!
All I did was disable XBMC Vsync. I did not modify any Video>Playback settings (so both options in that menu are disabled) also I did not modify or create the rendersettings.xml or any xml for that matter.

THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! THANKS!

What I did not test: if screen frequency is changed to match FPS (using one of the 2 options in Video>Playback but I suppose they don't work and its not a DSPlayer issue). Also I remember DSPlayer had issues when playing video streams (extension unknown blabla) still have to test that.

EDIT:
Ok still all ok but I do have 1 problem and 1 observation Smile
problem: I cannot get mpcvideodec working for IFO (video_ts folder or dvd). I get audio but no video (xbmc gui). ffdvideodec works fine. Would like to use mpcvideodec as it is suppose to have DXVA for MPEG2.
Observation: in the mediasconfig.xml I see ffdvideodec is being used for ifo, iso, m2v and other extensions. Why not mpcvideodec as default video decoder? Also I spotted mpaaudiodec where you would expect ffdaudiodec.

Merge to trunk? - ajp8164 - 2010-06-17

Hi All,

Anyone have any idea about the plans to move the dsplayer into the trunk (even as a beta or preview)? I'd really like to use dsplayer in conjunction with pvr front end to play live tv through dsplayer.

- blinkseb - 2010-06-17

ajp8164 Wrote:Hi All,

Anyone have any idea about the plans to move the dsplayer into the trunk (even as a beta or preview)? I'd really like to use dsplayer in conjunction with pvr front end to play live tv through dsplayer.

There's still no plan for merging, and it won't happen until the release of Dharma. We have to wait that the pvr-branch is merged in order to merge it back, and test it. There will be a lot of changes to do before we can expect having something that's working Smile So no, still no plans!

- therealjoeblow - 2010-06-17

hsinchu308 Wrote:Actually, my debug log looks different from his. It's here:
http://pastebin.com/4r346HyE

Another:
http://pastebin.com/TKuFwJJc

As you can see, dsplayer did not even get to the screen size detection part:
CDX9AllocatorPresenter:Tongueaint Detected screen size : 1920x1080
that I get when the movie starts up properly. According to his log he could exit normally, whereas I have to kill XBMC because it does not respond to keyboard input at that point.

Anyway, it seems to me that the video playback starts before all of the settings/devices (screen did not even clear to black) finished initializing....However, for me, playing it with dvdplayer immediately following by dsplayer fixes the problem temporarily. Huh:confused2:Huh

As I noted earlier, I'm having similar problems with not being able to resume playback, nearly identical to what you reported. Hopefully the sources of this problem gets discovered and sorted out.

What I noticed is that with the OLD build (28016), when I start playback, for about 1 second after the UI disappears and the player starts up, the screen is blank and audio is silent, and then audio and video start playing exactly together with no issues.

In the newer build(s), audio starts playing immediately when I hit play, even before the UI disappears. Then the UI disappears, the screen goes blank, and either one of two things happens: either there will be a momentary freeze in the audio while the video initializes, and then both will continue to play together properly; or it will stall completely at that momentary freeze, and playback will not resume and I'll have to kill XBMC like you.

It doesn't make any difference what the audio is, normal AC3, normal DTS, etc (I bitstream those to a standard 5.1 AVR via toslink). I'm not using any HD audio at the moment.

It seems to me that the former operation would be preferable, where audio and video start playing together after the UI disappears, with no breaks or discontinuities.

Cheers
The REAL Joe

- therealjoeblow - 2010-06-17

blinkseb Wrote:I don't know if it's related. I've heard of some issue with the video database causing that kind of issues, but I'm not sure if it is, again, related.

First, I found what cause the DirectX device reset. It is XBMC vSync turning on / off before / after playing a file when it's set to "Always". therealjoeblow, can you try to play some files setting the XBMC sync to Disabled?

Second, SlavikZ, I have absolutly no idea what's going on. I don't have that issue here, so it's hard to tell, but I continue to investigate.

Will give it another try later tonight.

/The REAL Joe

mkv (with subtitles ?) now crashes dsplayer - cyr4no - 2010-06-18

Hi gang

XBMC/dsplayer used to work ok but now it seems to crash on mkv files. I observed that only mkv with subtitles crash ! I did a fresh reinstall of XBMC (uninstallation, dir deletations) but no luck.

Here is a log of a working mkv : http://pastebin.ca/1885520

Here is one that don't : http://pastebin.ca/1885521

One thing I did is install VC++ 9 Express to do some testing for my lose control volume problem. I think from that point mkvs began to crash.

I have no problem with MPCHC and ZP ! I used for many week build 30385. Installed build 31004 lately. Both crash !

Any clue ? Anyone ?

- therealjoeblow - 2010-06-18

blinkseb Wrote:I don't know if it's related. I've heard of some issue with the video database causing that kind of issues, but I'm not sure if it is, again, related.

First, I found what cause the DirectX device reset. It is XBMC vSync turning on / off before / after playing a file when it's set to "Always". therealjoeblow, can you try to play some files setting the XBMC sync to Disabled?

Ok Seb, that worked - turning off vsync in XBMC itself cured the problem with loading files. I can stop and restart all files now without issue, looks like it had nothing to do with the database.

So now for the most part, playback on XP is pretty good - no more tearing, and mostly smooth...

HOWEVER: I'm still having problems with judder on *certain* files only (note this is not exhaustive testing though, only had time for about 1/2 hour last night):

-It looks like anything with the MPCdxva decoder plays smooth (1080p and 720p with or without subtitles)

-720p played w/ffdshow software decoder WITHOUT subtitles plays smooth

-720p played w/ffdshow software decoder WITH subtitles plays jerky (note, the .mkv file only has to have subs muxed in it, I'm not necessarily displaying the subs).

I tried both the default gabest splitter (mkvsource/mkvsplitter) and haali, it makes no difference (actually, haali is even more jerky). As noted before, all of these files played without any judder in older builds and in MPC and ZP, so I'm not sure what's causing the jerkiness now.

But all in all, huge strides forward. I'm going to stick with the new build now, and *hope* that the judder gets sorted out in the near future.

Cheers and THANKS!
The REAL Joe

- zilexa - 2010-06-18

@realblowjoe, why don't you use mpcvideodec for all (except wmv/real etc) extensions? Instead of ffdshow? Here on XP no judder, with subs using mpcvideodec.

I don't understand why ffdvideodec is still used for some extensions and not for other. I changed it to mpcvideodec.

- blinkseb - 2010-06-18

therealjoeblow Wrote:Ok Seb, that worked - turning off vsync in XBMC itself cured the problem with loading files. I can stop and restart all files now without issue, looks like it had nothing to do with the database.

So now for the most part, playback on XP is pretty good - no more tearing, and mostly smooth...

HOWEVER: I'm still having problems with judder on *certain* files only (note this is not exhaustive testing though, only had time for about 1/2 hour last night):

-It looks like anything with the MPCdxva decoder plays smooth (1080p and 720p with or without subtitles)

-720p played w/ffdshow software decoder WITHOUT subtitles plays smooth

-720p played w/ffdshow software decoder WITH subtitles plays jerky (note, the .mkv file only has to have subs muxed in it, I'm not necessarily displaying the subs).

I tried both the default gabest splitter (mkvsource/mkvsplitter) and haali, it makes no difference (actually, haali is even more jerky). As noted before, all of these files played without any judder in older builds and in MPC and ZP, so I'm not sure what's causing the jerkiness now.

But all in all, huge strides forward. I'm going to stick with the new build now, and *hope* that the judder gets sorted out in the near future.

Cheers and THANKS!
The REAL Joe

If a media file has subtitles, these are automatically decoded, no matter you're showing these or not. Can you try to set a lower resolution for the subtitles? I think it can solve jerky playback.

What I can guess is there is still an issue with Windows XP and D3D device recreation. When vsync is disabled in XBMC, there is no device deletion/recreation, and so it seems to work pretty well. I'll investigate a bit more!

Thanks Big Grin

Quote:I don't understand why ffdvideodec is still used for some extensions and not for other. I changed it to mpcvideodec.

Probably an oversight on our side Wink

- therealjoeblow - 2010-06-18

zilexa Wrote:@realblowjoe, why don't you use mpcvideodec for all (except wmv/real etc) extensions? Instead of ffdshow? Here on XP no judder, with subs using mpcvideodec.

I don't understand why ffdvideodec is still used for some extensions and not for other. I changed it to mpcvideodec.

Because ffdshow with it's built-in resize to 1920w using lanczos 4 taps kicks the crap out out of any other renderer or resize algorithm in terms of image quality. And it's all about image quality with large screen high def.

DXVA decoders generally decode with low cpu, but shitty image quality.

Cheers
The REAL Joe