Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS] Internal Directshow Based Player [NO LONGER DEVELOPED] - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: [WINDOWS] Internal Directshow Based Player [NO LONGER DEVELOPED] (/showthread.php?tid=61355)

Audio Podcasts - MikeThicke - 2010-07-05

I'm having trouble getting audio podcasts to work. Local mp3 files play fine, but xbmc tries to launch dsplayer by default (and gets an extension not found error) when I try to stream a podcast in mp3 format. If I use the "play using..." option I can select between dsplayer (default) and dvdplayer. The dvdplayer starts playing, gets the length correct, can pause, etc, but doesn't actually play any audio. If I select the "change media type" option it gives me the options of video, picture, and filemanager which implies that it recognizes it as music?

If trying to reproduce, you need to add a source such as:

Code:
<source>
            <name>Kermode</name>
            <path pathversion="1">rss://downloads.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/fivelive/kermode/rss.xml/</path>
        </source>

to sources.xml in the music section.

ISO buffer issue - dial - 2010-07-05

Sorry, wrong thread.

- therealjoeblow - 2010-07-06

I can't get r31520 to play *anything* (not x264 in mkv, not simple xvid in avi, nothing), not using the default mpc filters and splitters or editing the .xml to use ffdshow; ffdshowdxva; haali.

It does one of 3 things, no rhyme or reason: either plays audio only, no video (with the UI remaining on screen); or it does nothing, just locks up with a static UI screen; or it starts flickering various parts of the UI while it's locked up and never plays anything.

I tried all the combinations of vsync on and off that were suggested and got r31004 up and running, no help.

No debug log yet (maybe will have time to create one tomorrow), that's just a quick 10 minute test; a simple rollback to 28016 and everything's still working perfectly again. Not sure what happened here, but at least r31004 would play (albeit with lots of judder)...

Cheers
The REAL Joe

- steelman1991 - 2010-07-06

Joe - known issue - I and others have to start the file several times before it 'sticks' - only way I can describe it.

Will dsplayer be merged or will it be an addon? - Sylus - 2010-07-07

Until now I always read about the fact that dsplayer will be merged later, however, would it not be better to provide dsplayer as an addon?

- blinkseb - 2010-07-07

Sylus Wrote:Until now I always read about the fact that dsplayer will be merged later, however, would it not be better to provide dsplayer as an addon?

It's not possible to make dsplayer an addon. The addon system is not designed to provide playback functionnality, and dsplayer uses a lot of internal code.

PS: I don't have much time to code right now, that's why I'm a bit quiet. I read every messages you post, and I'm aware of the playback issue. When I'll have time, be sure that's the first thing I'll look at!

- steelman1991 - 2010-07-07

Seb - that's good to know. Nice to drop a line like that every now and then, just so posters don't feel like the project has ground to a halt.

- hsinchu308 - 2010-07-08

Hi Tiben, Seb,

A question for you regarding file caching or filter performance: Using the same video (MS DTV-DVD), audio (ffdshow), and mpeg (MpegSplitter) filter, I am able to play 40 to 80 Mbit/sec mpeg2 videos with MPC-HC without dropping frames, but with DSPlayer (up to R31520), I already start to get dropped frames for the 40 Mbit/sec video. What do you think the problem is? Looking at the DSPlayer video OSD, it seems that the video decoder is not outputting frames fast enough (i.e. 45 fps instead of 60 fps in line 2 of the OSD), so it's not a problem with vsync or backbuffer, which should result in lower fps in line 4, compared to line 2, of the OSD.

Since the video decoder and the mpeg splitter both can handle the bit rate, as shown by MPC-HC results, I assume somehow DSPlayer is not feeding the splitter fast enough. Is there a setting for file caching that I can change? All files are played from the local hard drive - frame drops are worse with files played through network SMB share.

System: Acer Revo 3610, w/ 32bit Windows 7, Atom 330, Nvidia ION.

Thanks for your time.

- tiben20 - 2010-07-09

hsinchu308 Wrote:Hi Tiben, Seb,

A question for you regarding file caching or filter performance: Using the same video (MS DTV-DVD), audio (ffdshow), and mpeg (MpegSplitter) filter, I am able to play 40 to 80 Mbit/sec mpeg2 videos with MPC-HC without dropping frames, but with DSPlayer (up to R31520), I already start to get dropped frames for the 40 Mbit/sec video. What do you think the problem is? Looking at the DSPlayer video OSD, it seems that the video decoder is not outputting frames fast enough (i.e. 45 fps instead of 60 fps in line 2 of the OSD), so it's not a problem with vsync or backbuffer, which should result in lower fps in line 4, compared to line 2, of the OSD.

Since the video decoder and the mpeg splitter both can handle the bit rate, as shown by MPC-HC results, I assume somehow DSPlayer is not feeding the splitter fast enough. Is there a setting for file caching that I can change? All files are played from the local hard drive - frame drops are worse with files played through network SMB share.

Thanks for your time.
I'm pretty sure the problem is the whole rendering process.
Since the start of the player the first biggest challenge was to get a rendering process correctly working. I twas running perfect but it was really simple it was just working with the vmr9, no subtitles and no v sync.Maybe trying to find with some debug timestamps what is taking so long to process would help tracking the problem.

- hsinchu308 - 2010-07-09

tiben20 Wrote:I'm pretty sure the problem is the whole rendering process.
Since the start of the player the first biggest challenge was to get a rendering process correctly working. I twas running perfect but it was really simple it was just working with the vmr9, no subtitles and no v sync.Maybe trying to find with some debug timestamps what is taking so long to process would help tracking the problem.

I see. Thanks. I'll try to investigate more.

If it is the whole rendering process, does it mean it would be faster when you get all of the internal filters working (not just faster file loading, but faster rendering as well)? One of the differences between the MPC-HC result and the DSPlayer result is the file splitter is internal to MPC-HC, while both video and audio filters are external to both players.

- relayer35 - 2010-07-09

hsinchu308 Wrote:Hi Tiben, Seb,

Thanks for your time.

I had a similar issue with files from my Sony Camcorder that are 60fps (though I would drop frames in MPC HC as well. Windows Media Player was the only thing that would play them properly). However, with the newest builds I can get them to play back at 60fps without dropping frames. The key was making sure that I am not using a full screen window, I'm using actual full screen. They play back in DSPlayer using both mpcvideodec and msvideodec (the Microsoft codec).

My only issue is the one I posted in the other thread where DSPlayer just stops working at all after a while until I reboot my machine. Then it works a little while again. Same result with all files (DVD & BluRay rips too, divx, xvid, mkv, mp4, mov, whatever). Tried every combination of filter, splitter too. I guess I just have to be patient and wait for the next build.

Incidentally, while I am waiting I am getting pretty good results with the internal DXVA2 support, using the adjust refresh rate option, playback finally is as good as the PS3 with ps3mediaserver. I get a lip sync issue which I adjusted to -0.175 and it seems to work well for most of my material. This doesn't work at all for my Sony Handycam files though! I also miss not being able to use ffdvideodec for some of my non-HD material. Hopefully the DSPlayer playback issue will be fixed soon.

- tiben20 - 2010-07-09

hsinchu308 Wrote:I see. Thanks. I'll try to investigate more.

If it is the whole rendering process, does it mean it would be faster when you get all of the internal filters working (not just faster file loading, but faster rendering as well)? One of the differences between the MPC-HC result and the DSPlayer result is the file splitter is internal to MPC-HC, while both video and audio filters are external to both players.
They will act the same internal or external they are just loaded in a different way. If i get them to run faster it wont be the fact that they are internal

- Vorm - 2010-07-11

therealjoeblow Wrote:I can't get r31520 to play *anything* (not x264 in mkv, not simple xvid in avi, nothing), not using the default mpc filters and splitters or editing the .xml to use ffdshow; ffdshowdxva; haali.

It does one of 3 things, no rhyme or reason: either plays audio only, no video (with the UI remaining on screen); or it does nothing, just locks up with a static UI screen; or it starts flickering various parts of the UI while it's locked up and never plays anything.

I tried all the combinations of vsync on and off that were suggested and got r31004 up and running, no help.

No debug log yet (maybe will have time to create one tomorrow), that's just a quick 10 minute test; a simple rollback to 28016 and everything's still working perfectly again. Not sure what happened here, but at least r31004 would play (albeit with lots of judder)...

Cheers
The REAL Joe

I'm getting exactly the same thing.

If you find out what is causing the problem then please post back. Confused

- Chriscc - 2010-07-12

i had the same issue and this post in the user support thread helped me
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=566242&postcount=828

Quote:Set "Use full screen window rather than true full screen" to true, in the XBMC System - Settings screen. If you still have a problem, set "Vertical blank sync" to "disabled".

- chylld - 2010-07-13

edit: should post this in a separate thread, ignore