Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS] Internal Directshow Based Player [NO LONGER DEVELOPED] - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: [WINDOWS] Internal Directshow Based Player [NO LONGER DEVELOPED] (/showthread.php?tid=61355)

- oldpainless - 2011-01-14

Seb,

Any update on any progress?

Cheers

k

- blinkseb - 2011-01-15

oldpainless Wrote:Seb,

Any update on any progress?

Cheers

k

Nothing really new no, and I've some work to do in my apartment Smile I'm trying to keep dsplayer in sync with trunk (you can see merge on github).

I'm still thinking of what to do next. I think I'll add a better fallback mechanism in order to dsplayer not to fail when the codec are not adapted.

- frank75 - 2011-01-16

Hi

Installed XBMCSetup-Rev33619-dx.exe, but the folder "dsplayer" does not show under userdata.

I want to test this because some of my 1080 files plays a bit choppy.
Tested the file in mpc-hc and it plays fine.

Why cant i find the dsplayer folder?

Running XP and geforce 8600gt.

Thx in advance

- steelman1991 - 2011-01-16

frank75 Wrote:Hi

Installed XBMCSetup-Rev33619-dx.exe, but the folder "dsplayer" does not show under userdata.

I want to test this because some of my 1080 files plays a bit choppy.
Tested the file in mpc-hc and it plays fine.

Why cant i find the dsplayer folder?

Running XP and geforce 8600gt.

Thx in advance
Take this to the user thread please - this is for Development issues only.

- alexrose1uk - 2011-01-16

blinkseb Wrote:I'm still thinking of what to do next. I think I'll add a better fallback mechanism in order to dsplayer not to fail when the codec are not adapted.

If you could find any cause of the intermittant crashes some of us have noticed as well that'd be great. [where the programme freezes up during playback but we can still soft shutdown with the power button via Windows, usually CTRL-ALT-DEL out]
They seem quite hard to catch though to grab a debug log, not to mention the one time I did catch a freeze, and had to CAD out, the end of the log didnt give any clue what caused it Sad

Sorry that doesnt give you much to work on at all, I'd rather give you something more.

- therealjoeblow - 2011-01-18

blinkseb Wrote:Nothing really new no, and I've some work to do in my apartment Smile I'm trying to keep dsplayer in sync with trunk (you can see merge on github).

I'm still thinking of what to do next. I think I'll add a better fallback mechanism in order to dsplayer not to fail when the codec are not adapted.

How about fixing the "not perfectly smooth playback" and getting it as good as it was on 28016 before working on anything else? The periodic jerks and judder are driving me nuts!

Cheers
The REAL Joe

- oldpainless - 2011-01-18

therealjoeblow Wrote:How about fixing the "not perfectly smooth playback" and getting it as good as it was on 28016 before working on anything else? The periodic jerks and judder are driving me nuts!

Cheers
The REAL Joe

Yeah...get that too. And as you've noticed, it's not cpu related. For 98% of a movie it's as smooth as butter, but then for what seems like no reason, it's jerks for a split second....ahhhH!!

K

- blinkseb - 2011-01-18

therealjoeblow Wrote:How about fixing the "not perfectly smooth playback" and getting it as good as it was on 28016 before working on anything else? The periodic jerks and judder are driving me nuts!

Cheers
The REAL Joe

If it was as easy as you think, it would already be fixed.

- oldpainless - 2011-01-18

blinkseb Wrote:If it was as easy as you think, it would already be fixed.

Hiya Seb,

Do you think it's a rendering issue, or one of the filters?

Keep up the good work....dsplayer still, imo, provides the best quality pq of all the media centre apps.

K

- therealjoeblow - 2011-01-20

blinkseb Wrote:If it was as easy as you think, it would already be fixed.

Well, I don't think it's that easy, but I never hear either you (Seb) or Tiben say that you're actually working on it anymore. Last I heard from you was that you don't have WinXP installed anymore (and didn't want to, even though I offered you a free, legit copy) and I believe you left it that troubleshooting the jerky playback on WinXP wasn't something you could practically do without WinXP; and Tiben seems to be working on his own version of a player with dsnative.dll now.

So I'm just looking for some realistic hope that this will get some priority attention, and not be abandoned by the only two guys that can really fix it but seemingly have other priorities now.

That's all. I do appreciate it's not easy, you can believe that!

Cheers
The REAL Joe

- therealjoeblow - 2011-01-20

oldpainless Wrote:Hiya Seb,

Do you think it's a rendering issue, or one of the filters?

Keep up the good work....dsplayer still, imo, provides the best quality pq of all the media centre apps.

K

Personally I believe it's the implementation of the renderer. It was *perfect* in 28016; after that, Tiben told me that the renderers were rewritten from scratch to implement in-house subtitle handling (as opposed to using ffdshow like it was before), and in the process of rewriting the renderers, the code got so much more complicated and something got screwed, but not able to specifically narrow it down.

Cheers
The REAL Joe

- tiben20 - 2011-01-20

therealjoeblow Wrote:Personally I believe it's the implementation of the renderer. It was *perfect* in 28016; after that, Tiben told me that the renderers were rewritten from scratch to implement in-house subtitle handling (as opposed to using ffdshow like it was before), and in the process of rewriting the renderers, the code got so much more complicated and something got screwed, but not able to specifically narrow it down.

Cheers
The REAL Joe
It could me more than the refactoring of both renderer into one. There many merge with trunk done after 28016 it could be the reason.
And by the way i'm not using xp anymore too.

- oldpainless - 2011-01-21

Cheers
The REAL Joe

You tried XBMCLive....dual boot if you aren't using a dedicated box. Just gone over to it myself, as not really happy with any of the win builds as far as playback goes. I'm using xbmcfreak-1000-maverick-v3 as it's already compiled with nvidia, so just d/l, burn and install (just need to "sudo wget http://pastebin.com/download.php?i=6K3XjdUS -O /etc/X11/xorg.conf" to add 1080p 24)

It's a pain to learn to set it up....but boy, is it worth it. I thought the win version at 24p using reclock had their smooth moments....but live takes it to a whole new level....smooth as butter and not a single stutter in sight...I'm using a revo, so it supports all the hw acc tricks, plus I can use lancoz etc, so PQ is A1.

K

DTS and DD error even though DTS-MA, TrueHD plays fine - testmetest - 2011-01-22

Sorry, moved to the support thread.

- blinkseb - 2011-01-25

Today is a sad day: DSPlayer is dead.

Tiben is working on a better approach (you can follow him here: https://github.com/tiben20/xbmc), and I'm a little bored with dsplayer. The player is not as stable as I would like, and the team attention is not really high.

So it's official, I'll not developing dsplayer anymore. The git branch will stay, in case someone wants to continue.

The player was meant to die. It would need a complete rewrite of XBMC to be fully possible. But keep an eye on tiben's work, it allows using directshow codec directly with ffmpeg. You only bypass ffmpeg video decoding, with the power of ffmpeg demuxer and xbmc renderer: best of all worlds!

I want to thank you all for your support since a year now. DSPlayer was a really hard project to work on, but I've learned a lot. Sorry the project dies.

Many thanks again for all your support,