Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS] Internal Directshow Based Player [NO LONGER DEVELOPED] - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: [WINDOWS] Internal Directshow Based Player [NO LONGER DEVELOPED] (/showthread.php?tid=61355)

- liquidskin76 - 2011-01-25

Hi tiben and seb,

Thanks for your hard work on DSPlayer. Some of us have guessed that DSPlayer was slowly dying since the DevCon article. Still the work tiben's doing on implementing a directshow option into dvdplayer means the lessons learned from dsplayer's development won't go to waste.

Thanks once again. You both worked wonders in the short time that dsplayer lived! Wink

blinkseb Wrote:But keep an eye on tiben's work, it allows using directshow codec directly with ffmpeg. You only bypass ffmpeg video decoding, with the power of ffmpeg demuxer and xbmc renderer: best of all worlds!

ffdshow audio is coming soon as well! tiben's nearly nailed it. Nod

- steelman1991 - 2011-01-25

Seb & Tiben - Sad given the amount of time and effort spent on it - but not surprising as Liquidskin says.

Good luck with all you do in the future - been nice while it lasted and I'm sure you'll take the lessons learned into new projects.

Thanks to both of you.

- darthy001 - 2011-01-25

ouch... hope this work will find its way into dvdplayer then..

I hadn't read the devcon-post in detail before this and didn't know that the dev-team had made what is a huge mistake in my mind. They admittedly focus most of their effort on eye-candy in the UI instead of perfecting what should be the main focus of a mediacenter:

Playing media with the best possible quality..

And XBMC in default state with dvdplayer is seriously outclassed by several other mediaplayers out there. Shame to say, but its true.

I would also say a BIG thanks to tiben and seb for their work here and I will continue using the dsplayer-branch until similar functinality is implemented in a standard XBMC-release!

I actually got a bit sad reading those posts by liquidskin76Sad

darthy001 Wrote:I actually got a bit sad reading those posts by liquidskin76Sad

Sorry dude!

Still the future is bright on this front. tiben's work on the dvdplayer/directshow patch will mean mpc-hc and ffdshow video codecs can be used, plus ffdshow audio can be used. fdfshow audio will be great as hd audio bitstreaming will still be possible.

Plus hd audio bitstreaming is coming to the trunk and eden via the new audio engine so there's another option.

- tiben20 - 2011-01-25

liquidskin76 Wrote:Hi tiben and seb,

Thanks for your hard work on DSPlayer. Some of us have guessed that DSPlayer was slowly dying since the DevCon article. Still the work tiben's doing on implementing a directshow option into dvdplayer means the lessons learned from dsplayer's development won't go to waste.

Thanks once again. You both worked wonders in the short time that dsplayer lived! Wink
Yeah i wouldn't have been able to do it without the creation of dsplayer.
Audio already work just need to know the way users will set the codec they want.
Currently only changing a line in the code making it possible.

- >>X<< - 2011-01-25

Thanks for all the hard work guys I'm still using an old build and probably will for some time still does the job for me Wink

Look forward to new developments Smile

- Bahndit - 2011-01-25

blinkseb Wrote:Today is a sad day: DSPlayer is dead.

Tiben is working on a better approach (you can follow him here: https://github.com/tiben20/xbmc), and I'm a little bored with dsplayer. The player is not as stable as I would like, and the team attention is not really high.

So it's official, I'll not developing dsplayer anymore. The git branch will stay, in case someone wants to continue.

The player was meant to die. It would need a complete rewrite of XBMC to be fully possible. But keep an eye on tiben's work, it allows using directshow codec directly with ffmpeg. You only bypass ffmpeg video decoding, with the power of ffmpeg demuxer and xbmc renderer: best of all worlds!

I want to thank you all for your support since a year now. DSPlayer was a really hard project to work on, but I've learned a lot. Sorry the project dies.

Many thanks again for all your support,

Thank you for your work Blinkseb. I built an entirely new machine to make use of the work you did. It was awesome to be able to bitstream HD audio and still use XBMC. Thanks again for your work.

-Bahndit

- uncertainty - 2011-01-25

tiben20 Wrote:Yeah i wouldn't have been able to do it without the creation of dsplayer.
Audio already work just need to know the way users will set the codec they want.
Currently only changing a line in the code making it possible.

Tiben could you start a new thread once you have a working alpha/beta?

Thanks again for all the work you and blinkseb put into dsplayer...Big Grin

- Dullie - 2011-01-25

Respect tiben20 and blinkseb!

Thanks for all the hardwork and effort you two have put in this project. True its a sad day, and I am looking forward to tiben's new implementation.

Thanks again and again.. Smile

- tiben20 - 2011-01-25

blinkseb Wrote:Today is a sad day: DSPlayer is dead.

Tiben is working on a better approach (you can follow him here: https://github.com/tiben20/xbmc), and I'm a little bored with dsplayer. The player is not as stable as I would like, and the team attention is not really high.

So it's official, I'll not developing dsplayer anymore. The git branch will stay, in case someone wants to continue.

The player was meant to die. It would need a complete rewrite of XBMC to be fully possible. But keep an eye on tiben's work, it allows using directshow codec directly with ffmpeg. You only bypass ffmpeg video decoding, with the power of ffmpeg demuxer and xbmc renderer: best of all worlds!

I want to thank you all for your support since a year now. DSPlayer was a really hard project to work on, but I've learned a lot. Sorry the project dies.

Many thanks again for all your support,
Yeah we had some nice stroke of genius in that code. Rewriting many mpc-hc class to be able to compile without atl was quite long and complex to make it possible.

- tiben20 - 2011-01-25

uncertainty Wrote:Tiben could you start a new thread once you have a working alpha/beta?

Thanks again for all the work you and blinkseb put into dsplayer...Big Grin
Yeah as soon as i add a way to select the codec you want for decoding. I'm uncertain which way i will take to do it. advancedsettings.xml or xbmc gui or something else

tiben20 Wrote:Yeah as soon as i add a way to select the codec you want for decoding. I'm uncertain which way i will take to do it. advancedsettings.xml or xbmc gui or something else
My God man - what's keeping you Big Grin

- tiben20 - 2011-01-25

steelman1991 Wrote:My God man - what's keeping you Big Grin
an answer on where it would be best place to put that config i don't want to write this thing twice already did the error with dsplayer(joke)

tiben20 Wrote:an answer on where it would be best place to put that config i don't want to write this thing twice already did the error with dsplayer(joke)
Don't think too much about it. Whatever is the easiest to code would be my choice.