Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS] Internal Directshow Based Player [NO LONGER DEVELOPED] - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: [WINDOWS] Internal Directshow Based Player [NO LONGER DEVELOPED] (/showthread.php?tid=61355)

- Malexx - 2011-01-26

Just want to say thank you too,for all your hard work and effort.

Without DSPlayer XMBC looses a lot of comfort,since you have to use an external player(if you want image quality).

Will using it until there is another way of using external codecs etc ...

Thanks!

- alexrose1uk - 2011-01-26

tiben20 Wrote:an answer on where it would be best place to put that config i don't want to write this thing twice already did the error with dsplayer(joke)

An option in the GUI sounds easiest, but yeah I'll second whichever is easiest for you to write.

I'm sad to hear of DSPlayer's demise, but if it leads to a way to modify DVDPlayer into a better state, then hopefully it's for the good in the long term.
Given I have multiple files though that play well in other players, but stutter heavily with DVDPlayer, I am sad they sidelined your project with so little thought.

Thanks for both your (Tiben) and Blinkseb's hardwork on DSPlayer though, I'll be continuing to use DSPlayer in dual player mode until something better comes along.

- SpectreX - 2011-01-26

tiben20 Wrote:Yeah as soon as i add a way to select the codec you want for decoding. I'm uncertain which way i will take to do it. advancedsettings.xml or xbmc gui or something else

GUI would be the easiest from and end-user point of view. Have an option in the Video settings to select the decoder for audio or video. But if it`s too much work, advanced settings are also OK. What works best for you, that`s what matters first

- tiben20 - 2011-01-26

SpectreX Wrote:GUI would be the easiest from and end-user point of view. Have an option in the Video settings to select the decoder for audio or video. But if it`s too much work, advanced settings are also OK. What works best for you, that`s what matters first
I don't really care about if its easier, i want to do it the way the community want it.
I will look into a dialog like the one in appearance->skin->rss edit
I'll look at the code when i have time tomorrow.

- macmel - 2011-01-26

Just dropped in to say thanks to al those who participated in this project (specially tiben & blinkseb). Sad to see dsplayer not being developed anymore but I guess it's for the better.

I am really excited now with the new project tiben is working on, I vote for the GUI Big Grin

Do you have a name for this already??

Probably update for the info on the first page is needed?

- liquidskin76 - 2011-01-26

'dscodec' is what it's called on git at the moment.

- oldpainless - 2011-01-26

Tiben n Seb - thanks for all your hard work on this project. Seb - good luck in whatever u do mate.

Tiben - bring it on!...lol

K

- SpectreX - 2011-01-26

tiben20 Wrote:I don't really care about if its easier, i want to do it the way the community want it.
I will look into a dialog like the one in appearance->skin->rss edit
I'll look at the code when i have time tomorrow.

Sounds great, then GUI it is. Easier from a end-user point of view. Thanks again Tiben for you hard work, and Seb for all his dedication and hard work to this project . One question, will this mod be included in Eden ?

- tiben20 - 2011-01-26

SpectreX Wrote:Sounds great, then GUI it is. Easier from a end-user point of view. Thanks again Tiben for you hard work, and Seb for all his dedication and hard work to this project . One question, will this mod be included in Eden ?
I can't answer about eden but the only thing i'm sure is that the team like much more this way than the old one. Less intrusive way to use directshow in a cross platform media player

- JAB_XBMC - 2011-01-26

@tiben20

tiben20 Wrote:an answer on where it would be best place to put that config i don't want to write this thing twice already did the error with dsplayer(joke)

Would love a GUI, but would love integration into a release version of XBMC more. Smile

Thank you for all the hard work. XBMC is a great piece of software, and (as you know) adding integrated hi-def bitstreaming is high on the wish list. This will make a lot of people very happy!

- therealjoeblow - 2011-01-26

darthy001 Wrote:ouch... hope this work will find its way into dvdplayer then..

I hadn't read the devcon-post in detail before this and didn't know that the dev-team had made what is a huge mistake in my mind. They admittedly focus most of their effort on eye-candy in the UI instead of perfecting what should be the main focus of a mediacenter:

Playing media with the best possible quality..

And XBMC in default state with dvdplayer is seriously outclassed by several other mediaplayers out there. Shame to say, but its true.
Sad

I wholeheartedly agree - xbmc with dvdplayer just plain *sucks* in terms of picture quality - it's soft-focused (somewhat blurry) and laced with decoding artifacts, and is just plain unacceptable in today's world of high-def material and large screen, high resolution displays.

Just because the main stated goal of the project is to ensure it maintains cross-platform compatibility doesn't mean you have to compromise picture quality in such a huge way to do so, simply because it's *easy* to use one single (and crappy) decoder for all of the platforms.

If it wasn't for DSPlayer and the ability to use ffdshow, I would have abandoned XBMC entirely for other options over a year ago.

Hats off to Tiben and Seb for all of your hard work on this project, and best wishes into the future!

Cheers
The REAL Joe

- therealjoeblow - 2011-01-26

tiben20 Wrote:Yeah as soon as i add a way to select the codec you want for decoding. I'm uncertain which way i will take to do it. advancedsettings.xml or xbmc gui or something else

I would vote to have it integrated into the GUI, and act as any other standard DVDPlayer video option, that is, you can set the codec you want (ffmpeg as the default standard, ffdshow, mpcvideodec, etc...) and use the "set this as default for all videos" or whatever the correct term is; but then on a per-file basis, the user can set a different decoder and XBMC remembers that for that particular file (unless you reapply the "set as default" again), just like you can with zoom settings, brightness, scaling, etc.

The reason is that 99% of my material looks better with ffdshow, bit 1% of it is older crappy encodes that look better with ffmpeg with it's softening effect because ffdshow exaggerates the encoding artifacts with it's sharper decoding capability.

The way I accomplish this now is to have DSPlayer set as default, and for the material that needs the softer decoder, I use DVDPlayer from the "Play With..." menu. It would be great to be able to retain some form of this optional functionality.

Cheers
The REAL Joe

- lymwuwu - 2011-01-26

+1 for integrated into GUI

- Hammerer - 2011-01-26

Tiben, Blinkseb I was gutted when I read the latest posts. I have followed your tremendous work since the beginning - Blinkseb since you came on I was impressed by your work and posts.

Both of you have dealt with newbs (and some old gits) moaning and asking the same questions over and over but have dealt with it all with great aplomb and generosity.

Also thanks to the regulars for helping everyone on the two threads over and over again.

I havent said much before but should have. Blinkseb - bonne chance et bon route, Tiben - gagging to get a look at the new work.

The King is dead, long live the King!

- joeydrunk - 2011-01-27

+1 for GUI, awesome work.