Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS] Internal Directshow Based Player [NO LONGER DEVELOPED] - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: [WINDOWS] Internal Directshow Based Player [NO LONGER DEVELOPED] (/showthread.php?tid=61355)

- ghizzu - 2010-01-11

tiben20 Wrote:1. I dont know any directshow source filters which is using http streaming.
2. Dvdplayer is already a freaking good at playing internet streams i dont see how dsplayer could get a better playback than dvdplayer.
1. IIRC, MPC can play http streams, except for .avi
2. What i miss in dvdplayer is filter/postprocessing abilities (audio and/or video). I was hoping to use ffdshow in XBMC, but since I play mostly internet videos, it seems that's a useless hope...Sad

- Casanova_32210 - 2010-01-11

okay after i install the software i downloaded is there something else i need to do to get this to work?

- paco - 2010-01-11

Casanova_32210 Wrote:okay after i install the software i downloaded is there something else i need to do to get this to work?

Yes, do a little reading. Go back a page or two and you will see many noobs asking the exact same questions.

- lignumaqua - 2010-01-11

FWIW I've had good success using a custom playercorefactory.xml in the AppData userdata folder to selectively use DSPlayer for HD files only:

Code:
<playercorefactory>
   <rules name="system rules">
      <rule name="mkv" filetypes="mkv|mp4" player="DSPlayer" />
      <rule name="hd" videoresolution="720|1080" player="DSPlayer" />
   </rules>
</playercorefactory>
(You don't really need the "mkv" rule - just the second one should do it.)

XBMC then uses DSPlayer with hw acceleration for 720 and 1080 resolution files and DVDPlayer for everything else.

With this setup Ive been using tiben20's build 26269 on a Win 7 Revo 1600 on our main TV with no problems at all for the last 10 days.

- itssuresh - 2010-01-11

I tried on Vista ultimate 64 bit and when i choose DSPlayer nothing happens, DVDPlayer plays ok. Any one got tried and working on vista system with 64bit.?

thanks
suresh

- tiben20 - 2010-01-11

ghizzu Wrote:1. IIRC, MPC can play http streams, except for .avi
2. What i miss in dvdplayer is filter/postprocessing abilities (audio and/or video). I was hoping to use ffdshow in XBMC, but since I play mostly internet videos, it seems that's a useless hope...Sad
Ghizzu if you can give me enough information on how it could work and be worth it. Ill see what i can do. Here what i need First get graphstudio create or connect to mpc playing the http streams and print screen the graph. And ill need some specification on what you need to use in ffdshow. I really need the specific options you want to deal with in ffdshow. I dont want to integrate the entire options of ffdshow in the xbmc interface. There a lot of useless stuff. Just pm me with those info and ill see what i can do

- Shinzilord - 2010-01-11

Just wanted to say that I downloaded your GPU accelerated version of XBMC and it works like a charme. Thanks for your efforts!

- therealjoeblow - 2010-01-11

tiben20 Wrote:Ghizzu if you can give me enough information on how it could work and be worth it. Ill see what i can do. Here what i need First get graphstudio create or connect to mpc playing the http streams and print screen the graph. And ill need some specification on what you need to use in ffdshow. I really need the specific options you want to deal with in ffdshow. I dont want to integrate the entire options of ffdshow in the xbmc interface. There a lot of useless stuff. Just pm me with those info and ill see what i can do

Well, the question wasn't specifically directed at me, but since it was asked, I'll respond. I am also wanting to use ffdshow in XBMC for two major reasons:

1) the default decoder (or something within the playback chain) in XBMC isn't efficient - I have an Athlon 64 X2 5600+ Dual Core, and XBMC stutters on 1080p/x264 videos - ZoomPlayer with ffdshow has no problem playing back any of my content perfectly fluidly. But I'd prefer the internal player to work so that I can benefit from the internal skinned OSD, a single set of controls for consistency, the internal info display while playing media, etc. (I realize that the purpose of your new DSPlayer Tiben20, is to enable hardware decoding, so the 1080p content shouldn't be a problem any longer, but at least on ATI cards, L4.1 profile is the max for 1080p HW decoding, and so, L5.1 videos are still going to be a problem with the default player - ffdshow should solve this problem for those with marginally powerful enough processors).

And, (this is the one where you might need to integrate the features of ffdshow):

2) The built-in scaling methods in XBMC are just too soft. 720p bluray or hdtv encodes look very soft, bordering on blurry. Using ffdshow with an external player, I use the "Resize & aspect" feature to resize anything where w<1920 to 1920w; keep original aspect ratio; and under the settings sub-tab, Luma and Chroma methods are both set to Lanczos; and Number of taps is set to 4.0. Playing the same videos with ffdshow set like this looks *much* sharper than with the default XBMC scaler. For SD xvid I also from time to time like to use the sharpen filter, but I don't watch much of that format.

Other than that, I don't personally use any of the other ffdshow settings, just the resize with lanczos 4 taps, and occasionally sharpen.

Cheers, and thanks for the hard work!
The REAL Joe

BTW, I installed build 26269 on the following:

Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2HP RS780 mATX motherboard
Integrated Radeon HD 3200
Athlon 64 X2 5600+ Dual Core @ 2.9GHZ (89W)
WinXP32SP3
Catalyst 9.11

...and out of the box, HW decoding worked perfectly - 720p MKV CPU went from ~35% to ~2%. I didn't need to configure anything, just install the new build (I renamed my existing install of the Camelot final release from c:\program files\XBMC to "XBMC2" just so I could go back if I want), so great work!

One note, I searched the thread topic and didn't see anything on it, but the brightness and contrast controls don't work - are these to be implemented in the future? I have some of my own HDTV encodes where the black levels weren't correctly set and use this feature quite a bit.

Thanks again,
The REAL Joe

- bobd76 - 2010-01-11

therealjoeblow Wrote:...

One note, I searched the thread topic and didn't see anything on it, but the brightness and contrast controls don't work - are these to be implemented in the future? I have some of my own HDTV encodes where the black levels weren't correctly set and use this feature quite a bit.

Thanks again,
The REAL Joe

I don't believe the brightness/contrast controls have worked since Babylon. You'll need to tweak those in your video card control panel.

Speaking of which:

bobd76 Wrote:Just tested this on a Nvidia GTS 250, and it seems to be working well.

But when I switch between DSPlayer and DVDPlayer, the image seems much brighter and washed-out a bit when using DSPlayer. Is this inherent to changing players, or is it possibly an issue with this DSPlayer?

Any ideas?

bobd76 Wrote:I don't believe the brightness/contrast controls have worked since Babylon. You'll need to tweak those in your video card control panel.

Nope. They work just fine in all of the official Camelot builds (from a1, b1, b2 and the final release, plus any of the nightly builds). Just not working in the DSPlayer dev builds.

Cheers
The REAL Joe

Processor Utilization Unbalanced - therealjoeblow - 2010-01-11

I just ran a test on a dual core processor with a 1080p/x264/mkv, and 3 different player combinations:

A) ZoomPlayer+FFDShow
B) XBMC Camelot + default DVDPlayer
C) XBMC Tiben20's latest with DSPlayer+FFDShow

Screenshot of the CPU useage in Taskman is attached. Note that

1) for ZP+FFDshow, it is well balanced and running around 65% on each core, video plays back perfectly smoothly

2) For DVDPlayer it is still well balanced, but a heck of a lot higher ~ 90%, video plays back reasonably, but stutters from time to time

3) For DSPlayer, it is really unbalanced, running around 25% on one core, and pegging the other at 100%. Video stalls constantly and is really unusable.

Any idea why this would be occurring with DSPlayer?

Cheers
The REAL Joe

- tiben20 - 2010-01-11

therealjoeblow Wrote:I just ran a test on a dual core processor with a 1080p/x264/mkv, and 3 different player combinations:

A) ZoomPlayer+FFDShow
B) XBMC Camelot + default DVDPlayer
C) XBMC Tiben20's latest with DSPlayer+FFDShow

Screenshot of the CPU useage in Taskman is attached. Note that

1) for ZP+FFDshow, it is well balanced and running around 65% on each core, video plays back perfectly smoothly

2) For DVDPlayer it is still well balanced, but a heck of a lot higher ~ 90%, video plays back reasonably, but stutters from time to time

3) For DSPlayer, it is really unbalanced, running around 25% on one core, and pegging the other at 100%. Video stalls constantly and is really unusable.

Any idea why this would be occurring with DSPlayer?

Cheers
The REAL Joe

I dont really understand why someone would play mkv with ffdshow when ffdshow and dxva dont work together. Make the same graph with the original filters setup

- tiben20 - 2010-01-11

therealjoeblow Wrote:BTW, I installed build 26269 on the following:

Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2HP RS780 mATX motherboard
Integrated Radeon HD 3200
Athlon 64 X2 5600+ Dual Core @ 2.9GHZ (89W)
WinXP32SP3
Catalyst 9.11

...and out of the box, HW decoding worked perfectly - 720p MKV CPU went from ~35% to ~2%. I didn't need to configure anything, just install the new build (I renamed my existing install of the Camelot final release from c:\program files\XBMC to "XBMC2" just so I could go back if I want), so great work!

Thanks again,
The REAL Joe
The brightness stuff is renderer specific i didnt coded anything for the dsplayer side for supporting those settings

- sergvic - 2010-01-11

Why at file review .mkv it is not used DXVA ?
"Video Decoder: MPC Video decoder | Not using DXVA"
Videocard Radeon HD4650 AGP