Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS] Internal Directshow Based Player [NO LONGER DEVELOPED] - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: [WINDOWS] Internal Directshow Based Player [NO LONGER DEVELOPED] (/showthread.php?tid=61355)

- Scott R - 2010-01-16

Sorry, I haven't followed this thread perfectly. I seem to recall early on one of the official XBMC developers saying that tiben's approach wouldn't fly for inclusion in the official XBMC release, but I don't recall the reasons given (perhaps it was due to C vs C++ usage?). If I understand correctly, elupus is one of the official XBMC developers, and it sounds like there's now hope that we will see GPU support added into XBMC, so I'm trying to understand what has (or will) change to make that now possible.

- fincheresque - 2010-01-16

It was probably the mfc/atl stuff which isn't available in the Express version of VC++ that I believe a dev or two wanted removed. Once that was taken care of I believe the problems were sorted out.

Regardless, I expect full featured hardware acceleration will be here soon enough...or it won't Smile I'm just there are people working on it.

- tiben20 - 2010-01-16

nathanjones Wrote:It was probably the mfc/atl stuff which isn't available in the Express version of VC++ that I believe a dev or two wanted removed. Once that was taken care of I believe the problems were sorted out.

Regardless, I expect full featured hardware acceleration will be here soon enough...or it won't Smile I'm just there are people working on it.
mfc atl is removed since my last commit. I was just taking a break of development of the player.It took a lot of time to remove atl from the player. If the player merge it will be without the already integrated filters which wont be provided. You will have to install the codecs like if you were playing a video in windows media player.

- oo_void - 2010-01-16

>>X<<' Wrote:How usable is your 3650 for doing other stuff at the same time as watching 1080p and I'm talking about heavy tasks ?

I wont tear your head off though as I think someone already has and removed 90% your brain Rofl

Extremely useful ... With the film I'm watching with my daughter right now, a ~6600 kbps, 1080p version of one of the Harry Potter films that I ripped from HD-DVD, I'm peaking at 50% with an average of about 38% CPU. That's in MPC-HC with FFDShow doing sharpening and adding (yes adding) noise, and with madVR doing color correction using a custom 3dlut. The GPU itself is pulling just slightly less in scale running at around 25% to 35%.

- Elis - 2010-01-16

Scott R Wrote:Nice to see a Boxee dev participating here. Just so I'm clear...

1) Boxee will not support NVIDIA ION decoding under Win XP, correct?

2) Will the new development work that tiben20/elupus are working on together result in official support of NVIDIA ION decoding under XBMC, even on Win XP?

1 - XP will not be supported in Boxee for any GPU
2- I looked at the VLC code. I didn't check it throughly, but It's certainly based on DXVA2, which means it will not support XP.

BTW, does VLC DXVA works, or is it a work is progress?

- o_dog - 2010-01-16

isn't it about time that XP is left behind?

- ashlar - 2010-01-16

o_dog Wrote:isn't it about time that XP is left behind?
Yeah, by artificially keeping features off it (not referring to xbmc here). DirectX stuck at version 9 and a lot of other stuff. I've moved on with a couple of machines. Am I having a significantly better computing experience? No.

- demon-knight - 2010-01-16

ashlar Wrote:Yeah, by artificially keeping features off it (not referring to xbmc here). DirectX stuck at version 9 and a lot of other stuff. I've moved on with a couple of machines. Am I having a significantly better computing experience? No.

Agree its a very old os 9 years and counting it should be consigned to history.

Now doubt people will complain as they do, at the end of the day they need to move with the times....

- Darkjasper - 2010-01-16

Well, at the moment me moving up to windows 7 has been great. Until the other night when the players stopped working on my box. Only black video comes up now with sound. Tried manually installing the directx runtime and that didnt seem to help. Any one else having this issue, seems most that are are using windows 7 and seems to be specifically a dsplayer issue.

- christoofar - 2010-01-16

hmm..my ancient old cobwebby XP Pro 32bit seems to install easily, drivers & apps are easy to find & all work, & Tiben20's build installed & works a treat. wow, who'd a thunk it?Eek
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it" really is true sometimes.

just another dinosaur... Rofl

- krl69 - 2010-01-17

christoofar Wrote:hmm..my ancient old cobwebby XP Pro 32bit seems to install easily, drivers & apps are easy to find & all work, & Tiben20's build installed & works a treat. wow, who'd a thunk it?Eek

just another dinosaur... Rofl

Why don’t you just go back to your old VHS-player or even "much better", the standalone DVD-player?! Laugh

With Vista/Win 7, you get EVR rendering which gives you a lot better video quality!

And soon, the graphic manufacturers and such will stop making new drivers for XP. Would you hold on to XP forever? Wink

- MartijnGP - 2010-01-17

Ahahah, thank you _O_ I've been trying to get GPU assistance working for ages. Now I can run BluRay's with just 3% CPU, allowing my CPU fan to turn off. Haven't tested it on my HTPC yet, but as it utilizes an AMD Sempron 140 2.70Ghz singlecore it simply can not softdecode this kind of content.

When you are done taking out the things that prevent it from being compiled in the Express software (forgot the name, never heard of it and I think you know what I mean), are you goign to publish it as a source so I can compile it into XBMC myself? As I'm also trying to run an XBMC install with pvr-testing2 and there are no pre-compiled files available for this combination. Also, I'm running Windows 7 on my HTPC (because of homegroups) which seems to be malfunctioning with builds higher than 26269, will this bug be fixed anytime soon or will this build be availble as a source?

Edit: Heuy wait a second, I see it's already in the repo. It's late already, nevermind Tongue Going to test this together with PVR-testing2 now.

- paco - 2010-01-17

christoofar Wrote:hmm..my ancient old cobwebby XP Pro 32bit seems to install easily, drivers & apps are easy to find & all work, & Tiben20's build installed & works a treat. wow, who'd a thunk it?Eek

I agree that XP is a good OS but you also have to take into consideration the programmers and their time. If implementing subtitles was easy in DSPlayer, I don't think tiben20 would be looking at alternatives. At the moment, the only alternatives use DXVA 2.0 which only Vista and Windows 7 support.

XP was great but just like an old car, there comes a time when it's not worth spending the time and money to repair it. Most people forget the incompatibilities moving from the Win9x kernel to the NT kernel (Win2K, WinXP). We take for granted that everything works in XP but at the time many legacy apps had to be abandoned or rewritten. I believe that two years down the road, Windows 7 will become the norm and that is what the programmers should target. IMO the cord has to be cut at some point.

Of course, I'm not saying to abandon WinXP, I'm just suggesting that if users want HW acceleration, they will need to use Vista or W7. Not really very different than the Linux VDPAU situation: If you want HW acceleration, you need to have Nvidia hardware.

- christoofar - 2010-01-17

Tiben's build w/ GPU acceleration works fine w/ my XP install & Atom/ION.
I have a copy of Win7 64 bit, when the time comes, I will upgrade. I had it up for a while, but tired of all the workarounds, and driver issues I came across, when SP1 is released, I'll take another look.
*Right now*, this OS does everything that I need it to do.
Thanks.

- MartijnGP - 2010-01-17

On the WinXP discussion, I'd do what most sites do now regarding IE6. Might only be understandable for webdevelopers, but it's the exact same issue. Make the main stuff work under WinXP (in webdevelopment; make sure information is readable) and if you want fancy stuff, upgrade!

Really, Windows 7 is not as heavy as Vista. The only problem regarding dedicated HTPC's might be backend TV-solutions. For example MediaPortal, it works on Windows Vista en 7, but not without taking a full day of your time to get it working.

In my opinion, old software shouldn't restrict the possibilities of new software. And Windows XP is ten years old. It's like comparing Windows XP to Windows 3.0..