Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS] Internal Directshow Based Player [NO LONGER DEVELOPED] - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: [WINDOWS] Internal Directshow Based Player [NO LONGER DEVELOPED] (/showthread.php?tid=61355)

- christoofar - 2010-01-17

My first experience with Win 7 was trying to get Media Portal installed & working properly. It got pretty frustrating for me, and lots of things had to be mucked around with . I finally gave up, put XP back on my ASRock, found XBMC & was up and running in several hours. It plays my movies & music & looks nice. I'm not sure what more I need it to be. :confused2:

but anyways, back on topic...

- paco - 2010-01-17

christoofar Wrote:My first experience with Win 7 was trying to get Media Portal installed & working properly.

MediaPortal is a pain in the ass. You shouldn't base your Windows 7 experience on MediaPortal. One trick with Windows 7 is, if you can avoid it, stick with 32-bit on a dedicated HTPC. I use 64-bit W7 on my desktop and I had issues getting my printer and DVB card working.

- >>X<< - 2010-01-17

I don't give a crap what one OS can do over another and don't see how its relevant to this thread I only care which OS runs DSPlayer flawlessly which currently is XP, I don't have a windows desktop or XP boot screen or logon and it boots straight into XBMC so cant tell which OS it is anyway Wink

- tiben20 - 2010-01-17

>>X<<' Wrote:I don't give a crap what one OS can do over another and don't see how its relevant to this thread I only care which OS runs DSPlayer flawlessly which currently is XP, I don't have a windows desktop or XP boot screen or logon and it boots straight into XBMC so cant tell which OS it is anyway Wink
Its a good thing because im developing under xp and not under win 7

- christoofar - 2010-01-17

>>X<<' Wrote:I don't give a crap what one OS can do over another and don't see how its relevant to this thread I only care which OS runs DSPlayer flawlessly which currently is XP, I don't have a windows desktop or XP boot screen or logon and it boots straight into XBMC so cant tell which OS it is anyway Wink

100% agree

- dtviewer - 2010-01-17

tiben20 Wrote:Its a good thing because im developing under xp and not under win 7

I am using your latest build perfectly with xp! Thanks!

BUT, my understanding is that the vlc implementation that you're looking into will only support Vista and Windows 7?
Isnt DXVA2 only Vista/Win 7 compatible?

- MartijnGP - 2010-01-17

If I understand correctly, the problem is about Windows XP not supporting DXVA2 and that's needed to get subtitles to work.

I agree with you, somehow, if it isn't broken, don't fix it, right? Essentially it's true, but when old software is preventing you from doing new things you want it to do, I'd say you should upgrade.

Well, not a huge problem for me anyway, I usually turn off subtitles. Find them annoying, but when friends come over they wine about it. Anyway, because of this it is actually possible to watch 1080p material on my Sempron 140-based system albeit without subtitles. Thanks for the effort! I'm currently trying to compile this together with pvrtesting2.

- wismerhull - 2010-01-17

>>X<<' Wrote:Maybe your movies aren't encoded correctly try mpc-hc see if you get the same problem if you don't try another build, I'm using the one below in xp without any problems on an asrock ion

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=464714&postcount=750

Hi X,
Thanks for the help its working perfect now, installed the build with new nividia ION drivers and enablet all the sound output types in FFDshow.
Now its just waiting for the subtitles fix Smile or going for the windows 7 setup, if that is working.

Thx tiben for all the work

- tiben20 - 2010-01-17

dtviewer Wrote:I am using your latest build perfectly with xp! Thanks!

BUT, my understanding is that the vlc implementation that you're looking into will only support Vista and Windows 7?
Isnt DXVA2 only Vista/Win 7 compatible?
Yeah dxva2 is only for vista and windows 7 but im already preparing a pipeline which would be converting the dvdplayer video steam into an internal video source filter which would go straight to the vmr9 to make possible the compatibility with the new upcoming implementation of dxva2

- ashlar - 2010-01-17

In all honesty, while I agree to the "if it's not broken don't fix it" approach, 7 and Vista are now an important part of the market *and* they offer significant improvements to the HTPC experience (not currently on XBMC, apart from WASAPI, but 7MC, DXVA2, WASAPI... are a real attraction for users and I would say that HTPC users are the main target of XBMC, aren't they?).

- tiben20 - 2010-01-17

ashlar Wrote:In all honesty, while I agree to the "if it's not broken don't fix it" approach, 7 and Vista are now an important part of the market *and* they offer significant improvements to the HTPC experience (not currently on XBMC, apart from WASAPI, but 7MC, DXVA2, WASAPI... are a real attraction for users and I would say that HTPC users are the main target of XBMC, aren't they?).
Just find one coder who want to submit a patch for fixing the evr allocator i wrote. Its only broken since i removed the atl mfc so there a bug somewhere in one of the 5800 lines of codes.

- &gt;&gt;X&lt;&lt; - 2010-01-17

ashlar Wrote:In all honesty, while I agree to the "if it's not broken don't fix it" approach, 7 and Vista are now an important part of the market *and* they offer significant improvements to the HTPC experience (not currently on XBMC, apart from WASAPI, but 7MC, DXVA2, WASAPI... are a real attraction for users and I would say that HTPC users are the main target of XBMC, aren't they?).

Its a discussion that never needed to be started period as tiben20 is doing his best to develop DSPlayer for all platforms its only peoples impatience that's the problem

I have reasons for wanting to run win7 but currently common sense tells me to run XP

- MartijnGP - 2010-01-17

tiben20 Wrote:Just find one coder who want to submit a patch for fixing the evr allocator i wrote. Its only broken since i removed the atl mfc so there a bug somewhere in one of the 5800 lines of codes.

Ah, wait a second, 26269 is the last build which works on Windows 7, right? As I understand, you can't compile that using just the Express version of Visual Studio because of those atl mfc's? That would explain me why I've been struggling for 3 days now to compile your player on rev. 26269 and pvrtesting2 in the same build..

- ashlar - 2010-01-17

>>X<<' Wrote:Its a discussion that never needed to be started period as tiben20 is doing his best to develop DSPlayer for all platforms its only peoples impatience that's the problem
Surely not mine. I'm not even sure if I'll ever want to use the DSplayer. I was just bringing to the table another point of view (ie. Windows 7 and Vista are probably more important than XP in the HTPC market, considering they have much to offer, unless you are an XBMC user).

Cheers and no need to get defensive, not with me, believe me! Keep up the good work, always much appreciated. Big Grin

- Scott R - 2010-01-17

tiben20 Wrote:Yeah dxva2 is only for vista and windows 7 but im already preparing a pipeline which would be converting the dvdplayer video steam into an internal video source filter which would go straight to the vmr9 to make possible the compatibility with the new upcoming implementation of dxva2
Can you dumb that down for me? Does that mean subtitle support under XP or something else?

Not to get too side-tracked on the XP vs Win 7 debate, but...my admittedly subjective reasoning behind it all is that the $200 Acer AspireRevo is, IMHO, one of the best values right now in a 1080p capable XBMC soution. That machine comes with XP. Upgrading to Win 7 adds another $100 or so to the cost, totally changing the bang-for-the-buck aspect of this box. Finally, I'll add that I personally prefer the usability of XP over Vista and Win 7 (which with my limited experience using Win 7 seems to feel a lot more like Vista than I had been led to believe it would). XP (or, perhaps more specifically, the version of XP that comes with the AspireRevo) feels very lightweight and boots up extremely fast.

Anyways, getting back to the topic at hand...subtitle support seems to be absolutely necessary in some instances. For example, with Inglorious Basterds, there is dialog in German, French, and Italian. If you don't rip the movie with subtitles (or choose to turn subtitles off), you won't know what's being said much of the time (unless you happen to be fluent in those languages). So I guess I would need to rip my movies with the subtitles "burned in", right?