Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS] Internal Directshow Based Player [NO LONGER DEVELOPED] - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: [WINDOWS] Internal Directshow Based Player [NO LONGER DEVELOPED] (/showthread.php?tid=61355)

- cbstryker - 2010-01-26

Ok, I need to ask someone now. I have had the issue of choppy HD playback in XBMC since I set it up for the first time 3 weeks ago. I'm coming from WMC - Media Browser. And I had not realized that XBMC doesn't natively use DXVA.

However, having come across this thread last week I spent almost all weekend trying to set up my system to work with the dsplayer but to no avail. I have tried literally every configuration possible, I've followed all the suggestions on the main post, and I've tried the suggestions from pages 1-10 and from page 135 onwards. Obviously it'd be a total waste of time for me to go through all 141 pages!

Ultimately I can't get DXVA to work with this build. Even with all the settings seemingly set up right, I'm still using 80% to 89% cpu with HD and after 10 to 15 seconds of decent playback the frame rate goes down to 9.5fps but audio is 100% fine (as in keeps playing as if there were no issues, but the video stays behind).

I'm asking ANYONE to please help me with this, because if I can't get this working then I'm going to be forced to go back to WMC, and I really don't want to do that.

Specs: Fresh install of Win7x64
nVidia 8600gt (latest drivers)
Intel core duo 2.8ghz (can't remember which exact chip, it's an older 90nm)
2gigs of DDR2 800mhz

theoretically my processor should be able to handle HD, but alas.....

- >>X<< - 2010-01-26

cbstryker Wrote:Ok, I need to ask someone now. I have had the issue of choppy HD playback in XBMC since I set it up for the first time 3 weeks ago. I'm coming from WMC - Media Browser. And I had not realized that XBMC doesn't natively use DXVA.

However, having come across this thread last week I spent almost all weekend trying to set up my system to work with the dsplayer but to no avail. I have tried literally every configuration possible, I've followed all the suggestions on the main post, and I've tried the suggestions from pages 1-10 and from page 135 onwards. Obviously it'd be a total waste of time for me to go through all 141 pages!

Ultimately I can't get DXVA to work with this build. Even with all the settings seemingly set up right, I'm still using 80% to 89% cpu with HD and after 10 to 15 seconds of decent playback the frame rate goes down to 9.5fps but audio is 100% fine (as in keeps playing as if there were no issues, but the video stays behind).

I'm asking ANYONE to please help me with this, because if I can't get this working then I'm going to be forced to go back to WMC, and I really don't want to do that.

2gigs of DDR2 800mhz

Your definitely not using DXVA with CPU at 80% + did you check by pressing "o" on your keyboard ?

BTW is your ram in dual channel mod (not related to dxva)

- Scott R - 2010-01-26

Well, I just tried what I think is the latest build of DSPlayer again (the download link named it r27111 but my System Info in XBMC is reporting it as r27095). But first I was trying to use the build I already had and couldn't seem to get it working at all (and I did have it working before). So I'm not sure what got screwed up. In any case, this time I decided to uninstall MPC-HC and the XBMC/DSPlayer build I had installed, and then just installed the latest XBMC/DSPlayer, without re-installing MPC-HC.

Well, wouldn't you know that my videos now play perfectly great! Not only is DSPlayer playing things without tearing, but the built-in player is also now working fine for standard-def DVD .ISO's (no tearing and smooth playback). Is anyone else successfully using DSPlayer with MPC-HC still installed (possibly used for other things)?

One problem I did discover is that with my bedroom Revo (hooked up directly via HDMI to an LCD TV), I need to have the Audio output (under System / Settings / System / Audio output) set to "Analog" not "Digital" (which I believe is a bug on the DSPlayer team's part), or else it seems to cause XBMC to freeze when I go to play a high-def video. Also, when playing a file with a Dolby TrueHD soundtrack, it is not properly downmixing it to stereo (e.g., center channel dialog is gone rather than mixed equally to left/right speakers). I haven't yet tried things on my Home Theater Revo (hooked up via HDMI to a A/V receiver) to see how/if it handles decoding Dolby TrueHD and passing it to my receiver as multichannel audio. I'll give that a shot shortly and report back. FWIW, previously, I was able to configure MPC-HC to downmix this file properly, but I could probably live with this as-is, since I was probably going to start ripping my Blu-rays with lossless audio converted to FLAC, anyway.

Anyways, kudos again to the developers. It does look there's some sort of extra conflicts going on with MPC-HC (at least for me), but I can probably live without MPC-HC, now that DSPlayer seems to work well for me.

One other question...I've seen mention of using CoreCodec. I bought that the other day but have yet to install it. Do I need MPC-HC for that? Is there any benefit to installing/CoreCodec with DSPlayer versus using the stock DSPlayer codecs?

- dtviewer - 2010-01-26

cbstryker Wrote:Ok, I need to ask someone now. I have had the issue of choppy HD playback in XBMC since I set it up for the first time 3 weeks ago. I'm coming from WMC - Media Browser. And I had not realized that XBMC doesn't natively use DXVA.

2gigs of DDR2 800mhz

i just overwrote my xbmc with this:
http://www.multiupload.com/XBJDPXZ75U

then added this xml to my userdata folder. name it playercorefactory.xml:
<playercorefactory>
<rules>
<rule filetypes="mkv|avi|mp4|mov|mts|m2ts" player="DSPlayer"/>
</rules>
</playercorefactory>

the xml I posted above makes dsplayer the default for the listed file types. dvdplayer remains the default for everything else (including iso).

- andrews - 2010-01-26

cbstryker Wrote:Ultimately I can't get DXVA to work with this build. Even with all the settings seemingly set up right, I'm still using 80% to 89% cpu with HD and after 10 to 15 seconds of decent playback the frame rate goes down to 9.5fps but audio is 100% fine (as in keeps playing as if there were no issues, but the video stays behind).

2gigs of DDR2 800mhz

I'm having the EXACT same problem.
I've got an Acer Aspire Revo (R1600) with a single 2GB of RAM
Fresh install of Win7x86
Nvidia 196.21 Drivers
(Does it matter if I have VGA or HDMI hooked up out of the Revo? Should use the ION either way, right? I've been testing on VGA with my regular monitor)

I also had MPC-HC installed and then installed the r27111 build. I was getting 80-90% CPU for 5-6 seconds and then video would freeze but audio would keep playing. Doesn't sound like I'm using dsplayer. So I uninstalled XBMC and MPC-HC, reinstalled XBMC r27111 and am still having the same issue.
When I hit "o" it doesn't look anything like the screenshots on the first screen of this thread.

I made a playercorefactory with dsplayer set for mkv. Same problem. I then right clicked one of the mkv's and selected DSplayer as the player. Then I got a black screen with a "paused ||" icon in the lower right. Couldn't get it to do anything then.

Is there something I missed setting up?

- Kurzweil - 2010-01-26

So many pages in this thread.

Somewhere in the middle it was stated that dsplayer won't accelerate video in Win7 because of the renderer or somesuch. Did that change in the last week or so?

Thanks!

- David602 - 2010-01-26

andrews Wrote:I'm having the EXACT same problem.
I've got an Acer Aspire Revo (R1600) with a single 2GB of RAM
Fresh install of Win7x86
Nvidia 196.21 Drivers
(Does it matter if I have VGA or HDMI hooked up out of the Revo? Should use the ION either way, right? I've been testing on VGA with my regular monitor)

I also had MPC-HC installed and then installed the r27111 build. I was getting 80-90% CPU for 5-6 seconds and then video would freeze but audio would keep playing. Doesn't sound like I'm using dsplayer. So I uninstalled XBMC and MPC-HC, reinstalled XBMC r27111 and am still having the same issue.
When I hit "o" it doesn't look anything like the screenshots on the first screen of this thread.

I made a playercorefactory with dsplayer set for mkv. Same problem. I then right clicked one of the mkv's and selected DSplayer as the player. Then I got a black screen with a "paused ||" icon in the lower right. Couldn't get it to do anything then.

Is there something I missed setting up?

I'm pretty much having the same issues as you described, if not exactly.

I installed a fresh copy of Win 7 x64 on my Revo 1600 last night, Nvidia 196.21 Drivers, installed MPC and FFDSHOW beta SVN, downloaded the latest DSplayer build and the playback has been horribly choppy. When I hit O, I only see some of the codecs it is using and a very abbreviated CPU utilization statistic.

I then tried to get MPC configured (standalone) and it was doing 80-100% CPU utilization even when it said "DXVA" for h.264 content.

I'm dual booting and under XP, Dsplayer plays the same movies with 3% CPU utilization but the problem I have is that DTS HD MA won't downsample to DTS (just silence) and trying to do PCM/LPCM caused static...

I gave up at midnight....

I'll try removing MPC/FFDSHOW and XBMC tonight then re-installing DSplayer since that seemed to help Scott.

- David602 - 2010-01-26

Scott R Wrote:Well, I just tried what I think is the latest build of DSPlayer again (the download link named it r27111 but my System Info in XBMC is reporting it as r27095). But first I was trying to use the build I already had and couldn't seem to get it working at all (and I did have it working before). So I'm not sure what got screwed up. In any case, this time I decided to uninstall MPC-HC and the XBMC/DSPlayer build I had installed, and then just installed the latest XBMC/DSPlayer, without re-installing MPC-HC.

Well, wouldn't you know that my videos now play perfectly great! Not only is DSPlayer playing things without tearing, but the built-in player is also now working fine for standard-def DVD .ISO's (no tearing and smooth playback). Is anyone else successfully using DSPlayer with MPC-HC still installed (possibly used for other things)?

One problem I did discover is that with my bedroom Revo (hooked up directly via HDMI to an LCD TV), I need to have the Audio output (under System / Settings / System / Audio output) set to "Analog" not "Digital" (which I believe is a bug on the DSPlayer team's part), or else it seems to cause XBMC to freeze when I go to play a high-def video. Also, when playing a file with a Dolby TrueHD soundtrack, it is not properly downmixing it to stereo (e.g., center channel dialog is gone rather than mixed equally to left/right speakers). I haven't yet tried things on my Home Theater Revo (hooked up via HDMI to a A/V receiver) to see how/if it handles decoding Dolby TrueHD and passing it to my receiver as multichannel audio. I'll give that a shot shortly and report back. FWIW, previously, I was able to configure MPC-HC to downmix this file properly, but I could probably live with this as-is, since I was probably going to start ripping my Blu-rays with lossless audio converted to FLAC, anyway.

Anyways, kudos again to the developers. It does look there's some sort of extra conflicts going on with MPC-HC (at least for me), but I can probably live without MPC-HC, now that DSPlayer seems to work well for me.

One other question...I've seen mention of using CoreCodec. I bought that the other day but have yet to install it. Do I need MPC-HC for that? Is there any benefit to installing/CoreCodec with DSPlayer versus using the stock DSPlayer codecs?

What splitters/codecs are you using with DSPlayer? Did you modify the XML file to specify FFDSHOW, etc.?

Also - can you confirm the OS? I'm assuming Windows 7...

- andrews - 2010-01-26

Now that I read your setup - this might sound dumb but...

Do I have to separately install dsplayer from here
http://www.dsplayer.de/dspweb/downloads/

for this to work? I was under the impression that the XBMC build had it included. That might be the problem with my setup if so...
Big Grin

- Scott R - 2010-01-26

OK, it looks like I spoke too soon. I'm still having playback issues with my 2nd Revo. The good (?) news was that I was able to recreate them on my 1st Revo, so I'm hoping that someone out there may have a solution. OK, so just to clarify what my issues are: When playing standard-def DVD .ISO files (DSPlayer not involved), or when playing high-def files (via DSPlayer), I get non-smooth playback. I'm suspecting judder.

Now, in one room I have a Revo hooked up via HDMI to an LCD TV with the desktop resolution set as 1920x1080 (progressive) @ 24Hz. The files play perfectly smooth on this setup. But if I set the resolution to 1920x1080 @ 60Hz or 1280x720 @ 60Hz, or 1280x720 @ 24Hz, I get non-smooth playback/judder.

In the other room I have a Revo hooked up via HDMI to an A/V receiver which is then hooked up to a 1280x720 LCD projector. The native resolution I was using there was 1280x720 @ 60Hz. I get non-smooth playback/judder there as well and, unfortunately, I can't set that projector to the "known judder-free" resolution of 1920x1080 @ 24Hz.

Any ideas?

- sumofatguy - 2010-01-26

Kurzweil Wrote:So many pages in this thread.

Somewhere in the middle it was stated that dsplayer won't accelerate video in Win7 because of the renderer or somesuch. Did that change in the last week or so?

Thanks!

works well for me, running windows7 x64 and Rev26998.

- Mallet21 - 2010-01-26

nm

- tiben20 - 2010-01-26

andrews Wrote:Now that I read your setup - this might sound dumb but...

Do I have to separately install dsplayer from here
http://www.dsplayer.de/dspweb/downloads/

for this to work? I was under the impression that the XBMC build had it included. That might be the problem with my setup if so...
Big Grin
lol this is a totally unrelated player named dsplayer

- andrews - 2010-01-26

Laugh - Sorry about that. I just blew through all 149 pages of the thread so I'm more up to speed...

Are there issues with dsplayer if the files are being streamed via SMB? If so, that could be my problem. Also, DXVA looks like it works with 720p and 1080p (DXVA Checker specifically lists the 720p and 1080p resolutions). Does that have anything to do with XBMC and or monitor resolution? My TV is 1080p but the monitor I'm testing on is 1920x1200 instead of 1920x1080 (1080p).

Total Noob Question - Athanatos875 - 2010-01-26

Hello. This is my first post on here. I started using Boxee a while ago and hated it and I decided to try XBMC. So far, I love it. I just recently tried your build 26998. I am having issues playing .ts files. Every .ts file will not work. I can play other files (including .mkv files) with hardware acceleration.

I suspect that this is a codec issue of some sort. Initially, I could not play anything until I registered the .ax files in "XBMC\system\players\dsplayer". I have tried to get this to work with and without a installed copy of ffdshow and nothing I do will work.

Here is my log:
http://pastebin.com/mdb9bdd1

Does anyone have any idea what is going on?

Update: I tried the latest build and now I have audio but no video. Help!