Kodi Community Forum
Port XBMC to run on a Samsung Television embedded media player? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Port XBMC to run on a Samsung Television embedded media player? (/showthread.php?tid=61754)

Pages: 1 2 3

- davilla - 2011-01-09

topfs2 Wrote:You probably need to donate a significant amount of TVs to the developers for this to happen (its not a one mans job) and even then it might just plain be a locked TV so it might just not ever work...

I'll take two Smile

- No1451 - 2011-01-09

Not to rain on your parade but I can't see this taking off. Hardware of this sort obsolesces so quickly, you'd be lucky to get 1-2 years out of it before the devs start pushing the boundaries of it's capabilities and tada, you now have an outdated(though very pretty) piece of equipment with features that are of no use. Features that you still paid a premium for.

Save yourself and the devs the wasted effort and pick up a cheap ion box. It will probably even end up costing less than the added "features" you get in your connected tv Smile

- Gregoire - 2011-01-09

Hannes The Hun Wrote:the A8 S5PC110 is specced as 1080p playback so maybe there's enough "umpff" Wink available in theory, together with the OpenGL implementation for the GUI. but again, for XBMC to properly work we'd ideally need some kind of SDK and, most important, full access to the firmware/file system. and judging from the little I read at the samygo board, it may still be a long road...

you see, it's always a little annoying for devs to explain to end consumers over and over again why they can't have (at least right now) what they want, especially if the end consumer really does not know what he's talking about (exeDSP)...

first let the guys over at samygo do the groundwork, and if they're ready, maybe the XBMC devs will have some kind of ARM port ready which may or may not be easily modified to run on the samsung system.

With end user you mean me , right? Then just say so.
The topic of this thread says it but all I read is how it's not possible. The guy's at samygo are doing an excellent job but can't think of everything themselves all the time.
I'll have my tv for at least 10 years and that's a lot longer then any pc I ever had so I think it's worth having a look at. But you know what, I'll take it from you experts that it won't happen and then just forget about it. I'm not a programmer and I don't have a clue ( I really don't) over how it's done anyway. Thanks for your time and explanations. Good luck with you project.

- The-Boxhead - 2011-01-09

I cant see xbmc beeing ported to the media plattform new types of tv's.

All the different manufactures has prolly many different hardware pieces, settings, propertery hw and drivers. Would be a nightmare to keep such a port
running.
Manufactures prolly do minor adjustments to both hw and sw for each model stepping, again nightmare.
The amount of work to port xbmc to this plattform and keeping alle the different systems working is hopeless.
Remember that media tv's are a new plattform, very little mature.
Even if you as one single user would keep one TV modell for 5 years doesent mean that there will be a jungle of tv's and models for this xbmc port to handle.

NO guys - just forget this thought !

The only way i can see this happen if is a manufactor does something like boxee and decide to port xbmc themselves.

- topfs2 - 2011-01-09

Gregoire Wrote:With end user you mean me , right? Then just say so.
The topic of this thread says it but all I read is how it's not possible. The guy's at samygo are doing an excellent job but can't think of everything themselves all the time.
I'll have my tv for at least 10 years and that's a lot longer then any pc I ever had so I think it's worth having a look at. But you know what, I'll take it from you experts that it won't happen and then just forget about it. I'm not a programmer and I don't have a clue ( I really don't) over how it's done anyway. Thanks for your time and explanations. Good luck with you project.

What I am saying is that without the hardware our devs literally cannot work on it. With the hardware it might be possible who knows, noone shows real specs I'm interested in seeing to state if its even worth pursuing. I want to know if GPU drivers are available, how fast it is (what GPU it is). If it has NEON or not (if not dont bother). We decided on a minimum spec for ARM on devcon which we consider good practice to code features against. If its faster than that then yeah, it might be an interesting target.

Cheers,
Tobias

- cperrot - 2011-03-06

I find this answer rather premature. I own a Samsung LE46C5100 and it works perfectly using the Windows 7 DLNA but once I try to use XBMC DLNA Samsnung cannot complete the request. Which leads me to conclude that it is possible XBMC just are not there yet.
I am using XBMC 10.

- topfs2 - 2011-03-06

cperrot Wrote:I find this answer rather premature. I own a Samsung LE46C5100 and it works perfectly using the Windows 7 DLNA but once I try to use XBMC DLNA Samsnung cannot complete the request. Which leads me to conclude that it is possible XBMC just are not there yet.
I am using XBMC 10.

This thread is about porting xbmc to RUN on the TV, not share content to it. We should work as sharing via uPnP to it, we do work with most stuff in that regard. As said without hardware its hard to test all of them, sometimes they need a little quirk or we have missed something in the spec which they rely on.

- Torroa - 2011-07-18

A ratter old post, but still not outdated..

A guy is porting the Plex front end to Samsung Smart TVs http://plexforsamsung.pbworks.com/w/page/40757181/Home

Still in early beta fase, bur looks promising. The startup- and navigation is fast. Plex also works with iPad and iPhone devices withou JB, but you no client on Linux or Windows.

The Allshare is OK with smaller library, but a PITA with huge libraries. Would be nice to not have the "extra" box under the TV, and of course running XBMC.

- bluc - 2011-07-29

Another vote for this and one for 2d/ 3d blu ray in xbmc. Nod

- Eassplus - 2011-11-09

Another vote for this Nod

- natethomas - 2011-11-09

I just realized nobody responded to the plex port. Just fyi, the plex frontend used on iOS devices and, I'm assuming, here, is not the full version of plex. It is a stripped down version that is, to my knowledge, primarily a skin that works with the media server backend to give the illusion of a full system on your TV. This method allows for stripped down front ends to be put into a lot of places where XBMC is never going to go, because the stripped down Plex front end doesn't require a full system to be running on the displaying hardware.

As XBMC doesn't have a backend server, and as XBMC doesn't tend to port things halfway, you aren't likely to see the same kind of method used here. Either the system has a chip powerful enough to support XBMC fully, as topfs mentioned, or it doesn't get supported at all, aside from the minimal upnp method.

RE: Port XBMC to run on a Samsung Television embedded media player? - moshtagh - 2012-11-27

I recently purchased a samsung 8000 series and in all honesty would have loved to be able to port xbmc on the media hub like an app. I think that if samsung allowed android apk files to be installed perhaps we could just install the android version of xbmc no?

As an interim solution I will probably go with apple tv or some other top box solution....

RE: Port XBMC to run on a Samsung Television embedded media player? - zariaman - 2013-05-08

PLEX was successfully ported to Samsung Smart TV.

RE: Port XBMC to run on a Samsung Television embedded media player? - da-anda - 2013-05-08

LOL - please get the facts right. It's not PLEX in terms of the full blown desktop version which is based on XBMC that has been ported but rather a small "remote" client that's getting data from the PLEX server. So it's AFAIK only a better looking UPNP browser/client (like a Android remote app) that's been ported to Samsung and LG TV, not the real deal.

RE: Port XBMC to run on a Samsung Television embedded media player? - DracoAzule - 2013-05-09

Just get an Xbox, mod it, and use one of the unofficial Xbox builds.