Kodi Community Forum
ASRock ION 330HT (2nd gen) - built-in IR, which lirc driver? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: ASRock ION 330HT (2nd gen) - built-in IR, which lirc driver? (/showthread.php?tid=61840)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

- Pindakaas - 2010-01-19

@whannausexbmc : I may have found something, but so far did not get it working for my asrock remote. Let me know if it works for you:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=627999

- Fjerpje - 2010-01-19

This is a rough list of the things that i have done to get everything working on my Asrock ION 330HT. Some of these settings are user preferred settings. I did not include the full steps because some of these don't need logical thinking at all. I geuss this has to be dummy proof. These settings and scripts have been tested with the default remote that comes with the Asrock ION 330HT. It is possible that other remotes won't work without script tweaking.

1. Downloaded Ubuntu from http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download and burned it to a CD.
2. Connected my Asrock Keyboard, Mouse, Ethernet, VGA cable
3. Turned on the Asrock and inserted the Ubuntu CD.
4. Restarted the Asrock and pressed "F11" for boot options.
5. Selected the DVD drive and pressed "Enter"
6. Selected the "Dutch language" and pressed "Install Ubuntu version 9.10"
7. Partioned 25GB to the "/" (root) map on "Ext 3" filesystem
8. Partioned 290GB (the rest) to the "/home" map on "Ext 3" filesystem
9. Chosen a username for the "default useraccount" and a password and than selected "automaticly log me in"
10. Accepted the terms and installed Ubuntu.
11. Pressed "Delete" to boot to the Bios and turned off the Front LED
12. Booted into Ubuntu and installed the latest Nvidia drivers via the "preferences" > "Hardware manager"
13. Updated Ubuntu with the "System" > "Preferences" > "Update manager".
14. Restarted the Asrock.
15. Started the "terminalwindow" from "Applications" > "tools" > "terminalwindow" and changed the root password with
Code:
sudo passwd root
to a password i prefered.
16. Typed
Code:
alsamixer
in the "terminalwindow" and unmuted every sound device by pressing the "m" key while navigating with the "arrow" keys having all of the squares in a green colour.
17. Returned to the commandline by pressing "escape" and switched to root inserting this command
Code:
su root
and typed in the password "thepasswordyoudedicatedtoroot"
18. Installed XBMC by inserting these commands
Code:
add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc
apt-get update
apt-get install xbmc
apt-get update
19. Closed the "terminalwindow" and installed "XBMC standalone" by going to "preferences" > Synaptic packedmanager" and searched for "XBMC"
20. Marked "XBMC standalone" from the list and pressed "apply"
21. Returned to the list and searched for "samba" and marked "Samba" and "smbfs" and pressed "apply"
22. Shared my "Video" and "Music" folder located in "locations" > "personal folder" and right clicked on the "music" folder and selected "properties" from the popup.
23. Selected the "Share" tab and switched on "Share this map" and "Allow others to create and delete files in this folder" and clicked "Create shared folder"
24. Selected the "permissions" tab and select "others" > "Folder acces": "Create and delete files" and "File acces": "Read and write" and pressed "Add permissions to the files and folder"
25. Closed the window and did the same with "Movies" and "Images" and "Music"
26. Restarted the Asrock.
27. Selected "others" and logged in as "root"
28. started "gedit" from "applications" > "tools" > "gedit Text Editor"
29. Insert this code into the editor
Code:
#!/bin/sh

case "$1" in
        resume)
                curl "http://127.0.0.1:8080/xbmcCmds /xbmcHttp?command=ExecBuilt&Inparameter=LIRC.Stop"
                /etc/init.d/lirc stop
                /etc/init.d/lirc start
                sleep 1
                rmmod lirc_wb677
                modprobe lirc_wb677
                curl "http://127.0.0.1:8080/xbmcCmds/xbmcHttp?command=ExecBuiltIn&parameter=LIRC.Start"
                echo `date` "lirc resume script completed!!!" >>/tmp/script.log
        ;;
esac
30. Saved the file to the "sleep.d" directory by selecting "file" > "save as" > "filesystem/etc/pm/sleep.d/99lirc-resume.sh"
31. Closed "gedit" and started up the terminal window from "applications" > "tools" > "terminalwindow"
32. Chmodded the "99lirc-resume.sh" file by inserting this command
Code:
chmod 755 /etc/pm/sleep.d/99lirc-resume.sh
33. Closed down the "terminalwindow" and retrieved the "Lirc 1.0.1 driver" by starting "Firefox" and inserting this URL http://rapidshare.com/files/332793615/IR_9.10_.zip
34. Saved the file to the desktop and right clicked the package and selected "extract here"
35. Openend up the file and selected the PDF file and followed the instructions as they are described.
36. Verified that the correct Lirc driver was installed by opening up the "terminalwindow" and inserted this command
Code:
dpkg -s lirc-nct677x | grep Version

37. Verified that the Lirc driver was the same as this
Code:
Version: 1.0.1-ubuntu9.10
38. Restarted the Asrock
39. Logged in as the default user and pressed "Enter"
40. Selected "Login Screen" from "System" > "Management" > "Login Screen"
41. Clicked "unlock" and selected "Log in as": "youruserprofile" and deselected "Allow 10 seconds for anyone else to log in first"
42. Logged off and selected "XBMC" from sessions and logged in as "default user" and typed in the password and pressed "Enter"
43. Loaded into XBMC and selected "system" > "appearance" > "international" and selected "language" to "Dutch" and "timezone country" to "Netherlands" and "Timezone" to "Europe/Amsterdam"
44. Closed the window and selected "Video" > "Library" and switched on "Download actor thmbnails when adding to library" and "Update library on startup"
45. Selected "Playback" from the list and selected "Render Method": "VDPAU" and switched on "VDPAU Studio level color conversion"
46. Selected "Srapers" from the list and selected "Default movie scraper": "IMDb.com"
47. Closed the window and selected "Network" from the list and select "Services" from the list and switched on "Allow control of XBMC via HTTP"
48. Closed the window and selected "System" from the list and selected "Audio output" from the list and selected "Audio ouput": "Digital" and switched on "Dolby Digital (AC3) capable receiver" and "DTS Capable Receiver" and turned off "Downmix multichannel audio to stereo"
49. Selected selected "Power saving" from the list and selected "shutdown function": "suspend"
50. Returned to the main menu by select the house icon on the top left and clicked the shutdown icon on the bottom left and selected the reboot icon from the popup window.
51. Screamed my ass off because everything worked

Done!

If you followed these steps than your system is able to:
- Wakeup from suspend and your remote is still working in XBMC.
- Share files accros a Windows Network.
- Run XBMC obviously.
- Remote control XBMC by using FTP.
- Support optical cable and play Digital DTS sound.
- Make some sick noise. (Will only work if you got an awesome speaker system)
- Make you feel great.
- Stand still on a place where you want to put it.
- Stand still until it breaks because its been overused by allot of people who just enjoyed XBMC to the max.
- Spend years on a trashpile untill it gets recycled to be a new generation Asrock Mediacenter.

Big Grin

Looking forward to try that. - whannausexbmc - 2010-01-19

@Fjerpje: Wow that is some guide you made there, even if it works for me or not, I really appreciate that kind of work you just did there. I am still at work, but now I can't wait to get home and try that. What will my boss say, if I tell him the truth, that I have to go now, to reinstall Ubuntu AngryNo

@Pindakaas: I will also try the link you send me first, because if that works it is of course easier than reinstalling the whole lot.

I had even ordered a new remote (a MCE USB one that should always work), but now I wont retreive from the Postoffice, until I have seen if one of the methods works.

Still not working :-( - whannausexbmc - 2010-01-19

Ok it did not work following the guide above. So somehow it must be a hardware problem, even though it works with no problem in winxp.

The only thing I can think of is, that I am using a wireless usb keyboard. Maybe that can confuse lirc somehow (even though it is not using lirc, and is not logged as wireless anywhere, because actually I think it pretend to be a wired keyboard).

One thing that suspects, that it is a hardware issue, is if I run "irrecord -d /dev/lirc0 file.out",
it fails at second step saying "No toggle bit mask found". Can someone with a working setup see if they also get that? Just to see if it is common to get that error.

I am getting my new mce usb remote tomorrow, then I hope that ones works, else I have to use windows No, but as I have heard xbmc does sadly enough not yet support the GPU in windows.

- bloose - 2010-01-20

@whannausexbmc

I had a similar problem with my lirc installation (irw did not output nothing, but mode2 did worked).

I'm not sure how I fixed it, but I remember that first I stopped lirc and ran "lircd --nodaemon" so that it did not go to background. Then, on other terminal, I started irw, and saw that lircd was saying something about wrong permissions.

I guess I fixed it by explicitly set the device and permissions to lircd. Just set LIRCD_ARGS="-d /dev/lirc0 -p 0666" on /etc/lirc/hardware.conf . Restarted lirc, and irw started working fine, as well as xbmc.

I'm on Debian Sid amd64. Not sure if it helps, but its worth a try.

"This is it" (as some guy once said). - whannausexbmc - 2010-01-21

@bloose: are you one of Einsteins children? How can it be, I have tried everything, and then your little humble comment actually seems to be the solution Big Grin
Believe it or not I have made around 10 reinstallations of Ubuntu and xbmc and used all the tricks I could find.
Thanks! You are my hero, because it actually worked with your solution. To bad I already have bought a new usb remote (which worked out of the box alsmost).

Thanks again Big Grin

- bloose - 2010-01-22

Glad I could help, even though it was a bit too late Smile

- whannausexbmc - 2010-01-22

Even though it was late, it still gives me a satisfaction that it works. Just the bare knowing of something is not working is not nice. So actually I said "yeaah!" load when it worked (the neighbors probably think I was seeing football or something like that, none would expect a person yelling like that for such a "small" thing).

- X3lectric - 2010-01-22

Fjerpje Wrote:This is a rough list of the things that i have done to get everything working on my Asrock ION 330HT. Some of these settings are user preferred settings. I did not include the full steps because some of these don't need logical thinking at all. I geuss this has to be dummy proof. These settings and scripts have been tested with the default remote that comes with the Asrock ION 330HT. It is possible that other remotes won't work without script tweaking.

Snip
Big Grin

Yea well installing full desktop as its advantages to a minimal install though I think your detailed how to is fine it does not address all of everything working, like for instance temperatures for cpu gpu and other tweaks, which incidentally can all be found on my signature out in forums. you will still need a little more tweaking if you really want 100% machine working. but I guess that depends if your like me and not satisfied until 200% has been squeezed out of the machine as it should.

- chippyash - 2010-01-22

email to nuvotron also done!!

- outleradam - 2010-01-22

This should be split and stickied in the hardware forum
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=487524&postcount=227

- smithr99 - 2010-01-27

not sure if anyones posted this already (i cant be bothered reading through all the pages of this post !!) but it seems Asrock have posted the driver on their site for Linux, with some rather handy instructions to get it working.

My question is, how the hell would you do this on xbmc-live as this install procedure requires configuring it in Ubuntu. Any ideas how to do this through terminal ?

link here ...
http://www.asrock.com/Nettop/download.asp?Model=ION%20330HT&o=Linux

cheersWink

- smithr99 - 2010-01-27

ignore that last question - looks like the installer works through terminal as well !

i logged in as root through putty and used

Code:
dpkg -i lirc-nct677x-1.0.1-ubuntu9.10.deb

when asked, i chose the nuvoton ir receiver and no transmitter. Will let you know if it works shortly !

- smithr99 - 2010-01-27

works fine - straight out of the box. Thanks ASRock. Why cant more companies be like you !!!

- andyblac - 2010-01-27

outleradam Wrote:This should be split and stickied in the hardware forum
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=487524&postcount=227

does not work for me, my asrock will NOT stay asleep, after 1st supend and wake, any ideas ?