Kodi Community Forum
ASRock ION 330HT (2nd gen) - built-in IR, which lirc driver? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: ASRock ION 330HT (2nd gen) - built-in IR, which lirc driver? (/showthread.php?tid=61840)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

- andyblac - 2010-01-31

BugBoy Wrote:I now use the v1.0.4 driver, but I still have the problem that the system can only sleep normally one time :-(

just done a clean install of Jaunty Mini iso, no drivers etc, put system to sleep, wake it up, put it to sleep again and it wont stay asleep still, so it looks like it is NOT a driver isssue. if someone who's system does stays asleep on 2nd ,3rd etc go could post their bios settings so i can compare them.

i think it is a bios problem NOT a driver problem.

- Fjerpje - 2010-01-31

This is definitely a remote control problem. Because if i put my Asrock away from the TV and put it in my bedroom and connect it to my LCD screen (without IR receiver) it does function properly as it should.

So if i put it in my bedroom, away from the TV IR signals, i am able to:

- Put the Asrock into sleep
- Wake up the Asrock and load it into XBMC
- Control XBMC with the remote
- Put it into sleep again
- Wake it back up and control XBMC
- Put it back into sleep without the Asrock restarting again

So this has to be IR signal interferrence related.

And if i put my Asrock downstairs in the livingroom i am able to:

- Put it back into sleep but the Asrock immediatly restarts again.

I think that if you start your Asrock, using the remote, it starts just parts of the Lirc driver and not the whole driver with use of paramaters getting sent to the driver. But if you put the Asrock in Suspend mode and wake it back up, the script that i use does restart the whole driver for the IR receiver without extra parameters getting sent. Wich causes the problem that the IR receiver responds to external signals. I cannot confirm this by any way. But i hope if there is any truth in this, that someone knows what i am trying to tell so that he or she can test this out.

- andyblac - 2010-01-31

Fjerpje Wrote:This is definitely a remote control problem. Because if i put my Asrock away from the TV and put it in my bedroom and connect it to my LCD screen (without IR receiver) it does function properly as it should.

So if i put it in my bedroom, away from the TV IR signals, i am able to:

I think that if you start your Asrock, using the remote, it starts just parts of the Lirc driver and not the whole driver with use of paramaters getting sent to the driver. But if you put the Asrock in Suspend mode and wake it back up, the script that i use does restart the whole driver for the IR receiver without extra parameters getting sent. Wich causes the problem that the IR receiver responds to external signals. I cannot confirm this by any way. But i hope if there is any truth in this, that someone knows what i am trying to tell so that he or she can test this out.

not here. it is broke anywhere. i DONT any driver OR lirc installed and it still the same. just restarts itself.

- X3lectric - 2010-01-31

Well start from shutdown has NOTHING to do with lirc. lirc kicks in when linux (xbmc) has loaded not before.

Now as andyblac says with no lirc still same issue one has to wonder about the hardware itself. I have made several mentions on other posts/topics regarding this.

I have had 3 RMA's on my own ION HT (several more on ppl who ask me to set up their systems for them. The latest which seems to be the best sports a odd DVD drive looking at the hardware there are revisions the voltage regulator (one of the Achilles heels of the ION) is now a different part.

Best HW stability wise for the ION HT sports the Slimtype DVD A DS8A3S HAT9 PQ
Instead.
Having said that I have no issues with resume working though I have to say this is somewhat overrated. My system boots from total shutdown both Jaunty and karmic under 20 seconds I have installed sreadahead/ureadahead.

Its worth a mention this is pretty new hardware and first revisions will be a bit shite. Also Linux wont be yet all that with such new HW mainly the Kernel part.

Im using grub-pc on either sys and its booting clear straight into xbmc the default being Karmic since Im dual booting.

Linux itself kernel wise only 2.6.32 supports the 99% hardware properly and compiled specifically for that hardware removing all nonsense stuff.

Having said all this on a perfectly clean/lean minimal install I have no resume issues after I used the lirc resume script.

andyblac has posted his own resume script which I haven't tried yet. (can you post it on my topic so it is added to the tweaks area? full kudos to u oc)

on a completely offtopic note erhnam has a custom install disk which works pretty well after the customary installs of the lirc driver and other sensors tweaks though you have to create user xbmc with his disk. I wanted to work with him and flxfxp on a proper full custom install disk for all the ION platforms with the proper system selections and what you guys wanted to install menu driven instead of just being forced to have his own favourite nzb and transmission and other stuffs installed by default. However it seems hes either too busy or not interested in working with myself and flxfxp. sadly whichever way it is its a shame cause Im sure we (3 of us) could cure most issues together. If anyone here well versed has the time or is willing to creating a install disk from scratch using debian live tools (what Team XBMC Use) pls drop me a line it would be a fine team not strictly restricted to 3 ppl obviously).

Regards to all.

- fr0sty - 2010-02-01

It seems like i can't get things to work, with driver version 1.0.4

Code:
dmesg | grep lirc
[ 5.534359] lirc_dev: IR Remote Control driver registered, major 61
[ 5.730525] lirc_wb677 w677hga: chip id high: 0xb4
[ 5.730538] lirc_wb677 w677hga: chip id low: 0×73 expect:0×73
[ 5.730949] lirc_dev: lirc_register_driver: sample_rate: 0

seems to be OK,
Code:
sudo tail -f /var/log/daemon.log
Jan 31 22:51:27 XBMCLive lircd-0.8.6[678]: accepted new client on /var/run/lirc/lircd

but irw doesnt give any output, anyone know where to look next?

- Fjerpje - 2010-02-01

X3lectric Wrote:Well start from shutdown has NOTHING to do with lirc. lirc kicks in when linux (xbmc) has loaded not before.

Now as andyblac says with no lirc still same issue one has to wonder about the hardware itself. I have made several mentions on other posts/topics regarding this.

I have had 3 RMA's on my own ION HT (several more on ppl who ask me to set up their systems for them. The latest which seems to be the best sports a odd DVD drive looking at the hardware there are revisions the voltage regulator (one of the Achilles heels of the ION) is now a different part.

Best HW stability wise for the ION HT sports the Slimtype DVD A DS8A3S HAT9 PQ
Instead.
Having said that I have no issues with resume working though I have to say this is somewhat overrated. My system boots from total shutdown both Jaunty and karmic under 20 seconds I have installed sreadahead/ureadahead.

Its worth a mention this is pretty new hardware and first revisions will be a bit shite. Also Linux wont be yet all that with such new HW mainly the Kernel part.

Im using grub-pc on either sys and its booting clear straight into xbmc the default being Karmic since Im dual booting.

Linux itself kernel wise only 2.6.32 supports the 99% hardware properly and compiled specifically for that hardware removing all nonsense stuff.

Having said all this on a perfectly clean/lean minimal install I have no resume issues after I used the lirc resume script.

andyblac has posted his own resume script which I haven't tried yet. (can you post it on my topic so it is added to the tweaks area? full kudos to u oc)

on a completely offtopic note erhnam has a custom install disk which works pretty well after the customary installs of the lirc driver and other sensors tweaks though you have to create user xbmc with his disk. I wanted to work with him and flxfxp on a proper full custom install disk for all the ION platforms with the proper system selections and what you guys wanted to install menu driven instead of just being forced to have his own favourite nzb and transmission and other stuffs installed by default. However it seems hes either too busy or not interested in working with myself and flxfxp. sadly whichever way it is its a shame cause Im sure we (3 of us) could cure most issues together. If anyone here well versed has the time or is willing to creating a install disk from scratch using debian live tools (what Team XBMC Use) pls drop me a line it would be a fine team not strictly restricted to 3 ppl obviously).

Regards to all.

I'm telling you no lies. It does as i said i'm using this script:

Code:
#!/bin/sh

case "$1" in
        resume)
                curl "http://127.0.0.1:8080/xbmcCmds /xbmcHttp?command=ExecBuilt&Inparameter=LIRC.Stop"
                /etc/init.d/lirc stop
                /etc/init.d/lirc start
                sleep 1
                rmmod lirc_wb677
                modprobe lirc_wb677
                curl "http://127.0.0.1:8080/xbmcCmds/xbmcHttp?command=ExecBuiltIn&parameter=LIRC.Start"
                echo `date` "lirc resume script completed!!!" >>/tmp/script.log
        ;;
esac

And when i use this script i can do this:

Quote:So if i put it in my bedroom, away from the TV IR signals, i am able to:

- andyblac - 2010-02-01

ok guys,

more info on this, have spent ALL day rebuilding my ASRock 330HT. by creating my own script. and i have finaly got it woring Big Grin.

it seems to be something that the XBMCLive CD is installing that is causing our problems. (dont ask me what it is, because i dont know).

i have started from scratch with Ubuntu 9.10 Mini CD. and EVERYTHING is working. (Remote, suspend/wakeup, automount usb, temp sensors, etc), OK, the only thing that is now outstanding is the required drivers for Nuvoton W83677HG-I

i will post my script soon. for you all to use if you wish.

on a side note if you install v1.04 of the remote drivers you DON'T need any resume scripts, it just works.

and i MUST say thanks to 'X3lectric' for his help. wow what a learning curve today has been.

i even tried kernel 2.6.32 but lirc does not compile yet with it so had to go back to 2.6.31.

anyway it looks like XBMCLive 9.11 is to blame for most of our troubles, i would recomend building your own system from scratch.

- stinkupuss - 2010-02-01

@andyblac. Are you using built in wi-fi on the 330HT? From my experience, once you start heavy traffic over wi-fi the asrock integrate remote stops responding. Once i startup deluge or sftp over wi-fi, my remote goes dead, nothing registering in irw. Once you stop wi-fi traffic, remote starts working again. It doesn't make any sense but just wondering if anyone else can confirm? Sent asrock 2 emails about it but still not fixed in 1.04.

Any the hilarious thing is I could be maxing out my 5meg connection downling multiple torrents with deluge and i can still control XBMC over wi-fi with my iPhone.

I'd like to try trouble shoot it but i'm relatively new to Linux so i'm not sure where to start looking. The only think i can think off is that there is a PCI bus conflict but the ir device doesn't show up under hwinfo so i'm sure.

- andyblac - 2010-02-01

stinkupuss Wrote:@andyblac. Are you using built in wi-fi on the 330HT? From my experience, once you start heavy traffic over wi-fi the asrock integrate remote stops responding. Once i startup deluge or sftp over wi-fi, my remote goes dead, nothing registering in irw. Once you stop wi-fi traffic, remote starts working again. It doesn't make any sense but just wondering if anyone else can confirm? Sent asrock 2 emails about it but still not fixed in 1.04.

Any the hilarious thing is I could be maxing out my 5meg connection downling multiple torrents with deluge and i can still control XBMC over wi-fi with my iPhone.

I'd like to try trouble shoot it but i'm relatively new to Linux so i'm not sure where to start looking. The only think i can think off is that there is a PCI bus conflict but the ir device doesn't show up under hwinfo so i'm sure.

not touched the wifi part of the HT, but if you give me your walkthrough how to set it up i'll try to debug for you.

- andyblac - 2010-02-01

BugBoy Wrote:I now use the v1.0.4 driver, but I still have the problem that the system can only sleep normally one time :-(

do me a favour check to see if you have a file called "grub" in

/etc/default/

do you have that folder ?

- stinkupuss - 2010-02-02

andyblac Wrote:not touched the wifi part of the HT, but if you give me your walkthrough how to set it up i'll try to debug for you.

I would appreciate that. It took me many hours of sreaching to finally get my wi-fi working. Here is what i did.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=468527&postcount=7

- X3lectric - 2010-02-02

andyblac Wrote:ok guys,

more info on this, have spent ALL day rebuilding my ASRock 330HT. by creating my own script. and i have finaly got it woring Big Grin.

it seems to be something that the XBMCLive CD is installing that is causing our problems. (dont ask me what it is, because i dont know).

i have started from scratch with Ubuntu 9.10 Mini CD. and EVERYTHING is working. (Remote, suspend/wakeup, automount usb, temp sensors, etc), OK, the only thing that is now outstanding is the required drivers for Nuvoton W83677HG-I

i will post my script soon. for you all to use if you wish.

on a side note if you install v1.04 of the remote drivers you DON'T need any resume scripts, it just works.

and i MUST say thanks to 'X3lectric' for his help. wow what a learning curve today has been.

i even tried kernel 2.6.32 but lirc does not compile yet with it so had to go back to 2.6.31.

anyway it looks like XBMCLive 9.11 is to blame for most of our troubles, i would recomend building your own system from scratch.

hehe Pain in the whatsit or pain generally? That's why I tried XBMC installs in every way possible I also conclude doing your own install is best. for better of for worst 9.10 despite the kernel being shite it is prolly the best.

andy btw when installing 9.10 minimal have you noticed openorifice is also installed? I think this is a bug with the installer I have made countless installs and irrespective of which options I choose on installer openoriffice is always installed.... NO idea why.

It is possible to compile lirc with any kernels though 2.6.32 and later still have issues with smbus a well known and reported bug. It is a better kernel when compiled specifically for any given machine. To install/compile lirc on 2.6.32 kernels have a look at http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=562512

I found http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=459611&postcount=10 it's lack of time mostly but with this it is possible to compile a brand new spanking kernel with all the ION required drivers and even make it as easy as making a install disk which only installs what every other user what's by menu driven install options.

erhnam has made a install disk for ION platforms but low and behold by installing his disks you are installing all sorts you may not actually require.

redundant for me e.g. nzb and torrent clients, ftp server (openssh already provides sFTP so no need for regular ftp), web servers, crystal HD drivers which wont work on HT since bios needs to be modified to recognise the Broadcom Crystal HD instead of the wifi card and a ton more.

I would like to work along with other ppl like yourself to create the best install disk. which would provide per system install options which would allow maximum flexibility and best results. though this is only a pipe dream.

glad you got it all working finally. be looking fwd to peek at your script.

I hold my hands up; cant script/code to save my live and am a total Linux n00b v1a build 12912 beta.

- jonn - 2010-02-04

I'm getting the suspend only once problem too. I'm using the 1.0.1 Asrock driver on XBMC Live.

@andy - Did you get this fixed? Do you know what we can do to get it to suspend successfully everytime?

- andyblac - 2010-02-04

jonn Wrote:I'm getting the suspend only once problem too. I'm using the 1.0.1 Asrock driver on XBMC Live.

@andy - Did you get this fixed? Do you know what we can do to get it to suspend successfully everytime?

GOOD NEW & BAD NEWS.

GOOD NEWS
is short yes

BAD NEWS
i had to build my own setup from scratch.

BUT.... more good news.

i have made a complete JAUNY & KARMIC install script. just have a few things to polish for JAUNTY side. bare wth me it will be ready soon.

it will do the folllowing

install xbmc live
setup nvida drivers (180 & 185 & 190)
install ALSA (curent PPA or build 1.0.22.1)
install temperature sensors & configure them for XBMC (OPTIONAL)
install lirc 0.8.6 (OPTIONAL)
install HT remote (OPTIONAL)
install SMB & NFS for use with FSTAB
install local DNS (so we can SSH to the box via host name)
setup the XORG conf file.
setup HDMI sound (OPTIONAL)
install boot screen (1080P or 720p or 1024x768 OPTIONS)
configure the power managment (suspend, reboot & shutdown, etc)
setup AUTOMOUNT of USB disks
setup XBMC for use with SVN PPA (OPTIONAL)
build XBMC from SVN (OPTIONAL)
update SVN (both building and PPA) (OPTIONAL)

if there is any i have missed, i will see if i can add.

- jonn - 2010-02-04

Sounds awesome!

After some more tinkering with the stock remote, I've found that it really is very temperamental. I've turned off suspend because of the only suspend once problem and set it to power off. But now its powering off but wont power up again with the remote?

Bloody thing.

Myself and I'm sure a lot of others will make good use of your new script!