Kodi Community Forum
ASRock ION 330HT (2nd gen) - built-in IR, which lirc driver? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: ASRock ION 330HT (2nd gen) - built-in IR, which lirc driver? (/showthread.php?tid=61840)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

- odoll - 2010-05-31

Please exuse the noob question: however e.g. the [EU] IR(9.10).zip contains 3 *.deb files.
One is used for 32 and the other one for 64 bit version (dpkg -i *.deb), but what is the file lirc-nct677x-src-1.0.4-ubuntu9.10.deb for?

Can't that "Source"-file? be used to built a new installable deb package against the actual kernel on the system itself?

- sraue - 2010-05-31

odoll Wrote:Can't that "Source"-file? be used to built a new installable deb package against the actual kernel on the system itself?

yes its is the source. but the sources are an mess and hard to portable to any other distribution as ubuntu (maybe also to an newer kernel/ lirc)

- ZIOLele - 2010-05-31

the only problem with the source is it doesn't add itself int he dkms chains so if you upgrade your kernel... no more remote, but if you add it by hand then, thats another story...

- odoll - 2010-06-01

Quote:if you add it by hand then, thats another story...

Ah, OK, and I guess the story starts here!?

Will give it a try adapting it to 9.10 2.6.31-21

- ZIOLele - 2010-06-01

odoll Wrote:Ah, OK, and I guess the story starts here!?

Will give it a try adapting it to 9.10 2.6.31-21

To be honest i've done it on karmic 9.10 2.6.32 kernel, for the kernel 2.6.31-21 i've used the ko module in the deb from asrock site and it worked fine.

(i've used the distro ION specific that you can find in this forum or on xbmcfreak.nl version v14 which to my understanding is a karmic tweaked for ion)

right now i'm not at home, but tonight i can try to look on my box to see if i can find the exact line i've used to add the nuvoton driver on the dkms chain.

- odoll - 2010-06-01

puzzled: karmic 9.10 with 2.6.32?!?
I used the XBMCfreak 9.11.14 version which comes with karmic and 2.6.31-20

- ZIOLele - 2010-06-01

odoll Wrote:puzzled: karmic 9.10 with 2.6.32?!?
I used the XBMCfreak 9.11.14 version which comes with karmic and 2.6.31-20

so do I, but i've also adedd some ppa here and there ( like the pvr branch from yavdr, nvdia-ppa and others) I don't know wich one but from one of them, along with a apt-get upgrade, i've installed the 2.6.32 (and then i've had the necessity to reinstall the ir remote driver... so while i was there i've thought to install it the smartest way possible,i don't really like to do things over and over...)

by the way, the command should by someting like:

sudo dkms add -m lirc-nct677x -v 1.0.4 -k 2.6.31-20

I'm going by memory, because it slipped out my bash history. By the way a man dkms should be enough to get you started... if you need help along the way just ask here or drop me a line...

I'm soooo confused - Exah - 2010-06-02

Hey guys,

I'm sorry if this has been asked (and answered) already but i've seen so many different answers (and tried a bunch of them already aswell) and i'm not sure what to do at this point.

I got an Asrock A330ION motherboard (not a HT one?) in a MS-Tech MC-210 case. As the IR receiver of the case doesnt seem to work (im likely doing something wrong) i want to use the onboard IR receiver for XBMC (it works under Windows 7 on the same box).

I've installed XBMC Live (9.11 camelot from xbmc.org) and apparantly this installs Ubuntu 9.10.
On a network PC i downloaded Putty and got into the Root of the XBMC player and managed to download a driver and install them by following steps in a tutorial (this one, in dutch) as i never worked in Linux.
This however didn't work, the output messages after typing dmesg | grep lirc where not the same (less lines) either.
I've even downloaded the latest driver (for 9.10) from the Asrock site (had to rehost it after removing the brackets) but that didn't work either.
Do mind that i didn't uninstall something before doing so, don't know how. Hoped it didn't matter.

Does anyone know whích driver ís the correct one? I can't tell head from tails anymore.
Would love if you could give me the commands to use in Ubuntu aswell, i'm starting to get an idea how it works but maybe i'm doing something wrong... would like to exclude that as an issue aswell.
Thanks in advance! Smile

Edit: What i might need to tell, the Remote is not one that came with the Asrock MB.. it came with the MS-tech case and it does work in Windows 7 MCE.

- Exah - 2010-06-02

Argh... I managed to get the remote working in some way. First i managed to remove Lirc and had to reinstall it, not sure how i managed or if i could repeat it but i got it back on.
Then i tried a few drivers of which various gave errors but suddenly using the remote gave keypresses in Ubuntu.
I restarted the PC (not knowing how to get back into XBMC from the OS) and a reasonable ammount of numbers on the remote worked! Yay!

Then i rebooted (after i exited XBMC did some irw to try and get OBC's so i could try and alter they keymapping, didn't change a thing besides that) and now i'm back to square one and the remote once again doesn't work.
How can it reset like that all of the sudden? :confused2:

Has nothing to do with http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=532170&postcount=279 right? Not sure what this Karmic is what is refered to.

- odoll - 2010-06-07

ZIOLele Wrote:by the way, the command should by someting like:
sudo dkms add -m lirc-nct677x -v 1.0.4 -k 2.6.31-20

though I haven't tried your advise, yet, I got the following hint from ASRock (which I haven't tried so far neither ...)
Quote:1. Install Linux "lirc-nct677x-src-1.0.4-ubuntu9.10" driver from our website
2. Enter ubuntu Terminal.
3. Key in : sudo dkms add add -m lirc-nct677x-src -v 1.0.4-ubuntu9.10
4. Key in : sudo dkms build add -m lirc-nct677x-src -v 1.0.4-ubuntu9.10
5. Key in : sudo dkms install add -m lirc-nct677x-src -v 1.0.4-ubuntu9.10
6. Restart your system.
7. And you can use remote controller under XBMC.

Ups: the above "add" in red are typos I guess. I got it working with 2.6.31-22 now without them.

- FireMan - 2010-06-07

This works!

I did it in 3 asrocks' BEFORE update to the new kernel, and DKMS compiled a new functional module.

Of course, before run dkms lines above, you will need to have lirc-modules and nct677's source installed. This is done by (assuming x86 linux):

Code:
sudo aptitude install lirc-modules-source
sudo dpkg -i lirc-nct677x-src-1.0.4-ubuntu9.10.deb lirc-nct677x-1.0.4-ubuntu9.10.deb

Then just run the following lines (same as above), ignoring the errors:

Code:
sudo dkms add add -m lirc-nct677x-src -v 1.0.4-ubuntu9.10
sudo dkms build add -m lirc-nct677x-src -v 1.0.4-ubuntu9.10
sudo dkms install add -m lirc-nct677x-src -v 1.0.4-ubuntu9.10

When you upgrade/update the kernel, DKMS will compile a new module.

Cheers.

- odoll - 2010-06-08

Quote:Then just run the following lines (same as above), ignoring the errors:

Ah, OK. Just "for the records" here's the feedback I just sent to ASRock how I got it working (which shouldn't be considered as a guide!!). Your's more straight forward and more obvious after reading it ...

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

@ll,

thanks a lot for your feedback. I got it working now, however I think you have some typo/c&p error in your below procedure!?: all "sudo dkms" lines have an extra "add" too much?

And it was not as straight forward as outlined in your mail, here's a brief excerpt taken from my history log how it worked for me (which may be optimzed as I had some errors which required a back and forth).

I'm starting with an XBMC 9.11(.14) from a Live CD with Ubuntu 32b 9.10 Karmic. First steps to get the remote working is:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo dpkg -i lirc-nct677x-1.0.4-ubuntu9.10.deb

Selecting the right Remote/Receiver during the dialog the MCE is working fine.
Now as to your advise I try to install the src package.

sudo dpkg -i lirc-nct677x-src-1.0.4-ubuntu9.10.deb

This gives me some error message that it depends on lirc-nct677x-src etc. which needs to be installed first ... Thus I try to install it:

sudo apt-get install lirc-nct677x-src

which does not work, as I get the message that I should use

sudo apt-get -f install

Now I can install the src-package

And the remote still works after an

sudo dpkg-reconfigure lirc

though still on kernel 2.6.31-20.
Now I upgrade the kernel (to 2.6.31-22 as of today) with

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

and reboot

sudo reboot

After that the remote is no longer working. I try to use the dkms command, but I get the message that the version is already installed, so to be sure I removed it first again:

sudo dkms remove -m lirc-nct677x-src -v 1.0.4-ubuntu9.10 --all

Now I could add, build and install and could configure the lirc

sudo dkms add -m lirc-nct677x-src -v 1.0.4-ubuntu9.10
sudo dkms build -m lirc-nct677x-src -v 1.0.4-ubuntu9.10
sudo dkms install -m lirc-nct677x-src -v 1.0.4-ubuntu9.10
sudo dpkg-reconfigure lirc

and it's working, now.

Again, as this was more a trial and error approach and me being an U*X noob the process might be streamlined most likely I guess ;-)

- Wouser - 2010-06-17

Hi guys,

i've been reading the post on the remote here, and tried to get something worked. Unfortunatly nothing works. I got a real simple question (for you guys) how do i install the *.deb file on my Asrock?

- odoll - 2010-06-19

[I'm a U*X noob 2!]

If u have a GUI follow the instructions given by ASRock (from where u downloaded the drivers)
If u use the CLI use the procedure (dpkg -i) etc given by FireMan above my last post.

- Marvel - 2010-06-19

FireMan Wrote:This works!

I did it in 3 asrocks' BEFORE update to the new kernel, and DKMS compiled a new functional module.

Of course, before run dkms lines above, you will need to have lirc-modules and nct677's source installed. This is done by (assuming x86 linux):

Code:
sudo aptitude install lirc-modules-source
sudo dpkg -i lirc-nct677x-src-1.0.4-ubuntu9.10.deb lirc-nct677x-1.0.4-ubuntu9.10.deb

Then just run the following lines (same as above), ignoring the errors:

Code:
sudo dkms add add -m lirc-nct677x-src -v 1.0.4-ubuntu9.10
sudo dkms build add -m lirc-nct677x-src -v 1.0.4-ubuntu9.10
sudo dkms install add -m lirc-nct677x-src -v 1.0.4-ubuntu9.10

When you upgrade/update the kernel, DKMS will compile a new module.

Cheers.

Im assuming this only works on a 32Bit system because there isnt a x64 source file ?