Kodi Community Forum
ASRock ION 330HT (2nd gen) - built-in IR, which lirc driver? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: ASRock ION 330HT (2nd gen) - built-in IR, which lirc driver? (/showthread.php?tid=61840)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

- yerbabie27 - 2010-12-11

Well I spent about 8 hours trying to get the remote working, and I've got nothing, the only way I can get it to work is to install ubuntu and follow the associated steps at ASrock.

All other "methods" I have found relating to xbmclive fail. I have tried 9.11, 10rc1, 10rc2 the basic crux of it seems to be:

* Loading LIRC modules
...done.
* Unable to load LIRC kernel modules. Verify your
* selected kernel modules in /etc/lirc/hardware.conf
* Starting execution daemon: irexec
...fail!

rc1 is based on 2.6.32-25, so I downloaded those drivers first, nothing, it just fails. I even tried xbmc's freaks iso's both the recent rc and rc2... nothing...

the same error occurs as above when doing a dpkg-reconfigure lirc etc

and yes, its enabled in the bios... Smile

I'm starting to think dodgy hardware, but as I said I can get it working in ubuntu 10.10 with latest drivers.

any suggestions?

The d-link boxee is starting to look real good.....

- X3lectric - 2010-12-11

yerbabie27 Wrote:Well I spent about 8 hours trying to get the remote working, and I've got nothing, the only way I can get it to work is to install ubuntu and follow the associated steps at ASrock.

All other "methods" I have found relating to xbmclive fail. I have tried 9.11, 10rc1, 10rc2 the basic crux of it seems to be:

* Loading LIRC modules
...done.
...fail!

rc1 is based on 2.6.32-25, so I downloaded those drivers first, nothing, it just fails. I even tried xbmc's freaks iso's both the recent rc and rc2... nothing...

the same error occurs as above when doing a dpkg-reconfigure lirc etc

and yes, its enabled in the bios... Smile

I'm starting to think dodgy hardware, but as I said I can get it working in ubuntu 10.10 with latest drivers.

any suggestions?

The d-link boxee is starting to look real good.....

Yes

Read UP

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=658379&postcount=384

- vikjon0 - 2010-12-11

it is not rocket science... RC1 [edit or if it was b4] is kernal .25 and the driver for .25 is...working fine. I have tested it.
RC2 have kernal .26 and the .25 specific driver is not working.

asrock needs to make a better driver (if possible) and perhaps xbmc should not rock the boat by changing kernal between RC1 & RC2.

I also think it would be a good idea to hold back the kernal and some other stuff from upgrade in the liveCD to avoid people breaking it first thing.

I think we can also agree that if you dont know the first thing about linux and you break something by upgrading or what ever, the solution is not to spend 2months in the forum yapping about how to fix it. Start over and dont break it again.

- yerbabie27 - 2010-12-11

I tried all that.

As mentioned I also used xbmc freaks's rc1 and rc2 iso's which have all the drivers inbuilt, and should "work out of the box", but they did not.

At this stage I'm thinking newer hardware revision.... there is not a lot it can be really....

I basically only just got the box, and as yet I have not had it work other than with full blow ubuntu 10.10 and 10.10 drivers.

-B

- X3lectric - 2010-12-11

vikjon0 Wrote:it is not rocket science... RC1 [edit or if it was b4] is kernal .25 and the driver for .25 is...working fine. I have tested it.
RC2 have kernal .26 and the .25 specific driver is not working.

asrock needs to make a better driver (if possible) and perhaps xbmc should not rock the boat by changing kernal between RC1 & RC2.

I agree aload of idiots around who dont even bother to read the fixes people post... wheres a firing squad when you need oneHuh?

I think we can also agree that if you dont know the first thing about linux and you break something by upgrading or what ever, the solution is not to spend 2months in the forum yapping about how to fix it. Start over and dont break it again.

You may not be aware that the XBMClive installer works like the ubuntu installer, it installs the most recent kernel by default.

SO your information about xbmclive installer changes is outdated and going back is not a good enogh reason becaiuse asrock are a bunch of morons.

I have posted a fix that works, so why all the debates about stuff npone of us has control over?

read this http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=658379&postcount=384 it works just fine.

@ yerbabie27

From experience xbmcfreaks stuff never works as advertized. Also depends on the user behind it....

He does good work adn is NOW part of team XBMC prolly doing live cd's. idk for sure.

If you guys wanna moan moan at asrock, I send them an email every week about the IR drivers and otherdrivers for monitoring chipset none as noticed are missing.

- vikjon0 - 2010-12-11

Quote:You may not be aware that the XBMClive installer works like the ubuntu installer, it installs the most recent kernel by default.
I assumed it installed the kernal that is available on the CD. I am not going to argue this with you since my linux skill is very very basic compared to yours. However, I do belive the debian installar do indeed cater for manual selection of kernal in expert mode (and depending on the seed & cd/mirror). Manual selection was not my point, I just raised the question if it necessary to change the kernal between late beta => stable. The problem may be that they are morons...but until they are cured of that sickness it would be easier for them to keep up if we stayed on the same kernal.

If asrock will not make a better driver very soon we need tell them what kernal the stable will have and start pushing that instead of barking about the RC.

ps.
yes, I am sure your fix is working fine but as long as lirc or asrock does not provide a simple .deb in a repository or at least as a simple download, the built in receive is just a piece of metal and I will use an external receiver instead.

- X3lectric - 2010-12-11

vikjon0

unfortunatly the ubntu debian installer you can choose expert option but I dont think, the xbmclive can it makes it as simple as possible without taking into account morons who have asrock HT and cant fix the issue.

Us bitching about it is gonna do very little or nothng, despite we having valid points.

XBMC is not reposible for incompetent 3rd parties and they shouldnt refrains for offering the best and latest bug fixes jus because of the idiots.

It would put people like m out of a job here, though most times its not apprecciated...

offtopic

I get ppl giving me negative rep just out of spite or cause I had the minerals to tell someone to opens their eyes and read...

LOL

Ontopic. I have pm the original poster to post the fix onthe first post and rename tyhe topic so pees know there is a fix.... or maybe someone can make a fix script... Im all out of brain power to go there

- the_alien - 2010-12-13

X3lectric Wrote:You need to also install the .25 deb from asrock site for it to work... it should be the last thing you do after what steps I outlined.

so if you already have the .26 or later kernels...

0) aptitude install lirc-modules-source -y

1) wget lirc-nct677x-src_1.0.4-1yavdr1_all.deb nct677x-dkms_1.0.4-1yavdr1_all.deb http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4325533/lirc-nct677x-1.0.4-ubuntu10.04_kernel2.6.32-25.deb or http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4325533/lirc-nct677x-x64-1.0.4-ubuntu10.04_kernel2.6.32-25.deb

2) dpkg -i nct677x-dkms_1.0.4-1yavdr1_all.deb file

let the process run then

3) dpkg -i lirc-nct677x-src_1.0.4-1yavdr1_all.deb

let process run

then dpkg -i the .25 kernel deb for the .25 kernel and a new module will be built that works on the 26.

bare in mind thers 32 bit and 64bit .25 debs. (dont worry about the version trsut me it works)

if you have 64 bit the the last step is

4a) dpkg -i lirc-nct677x-x64-1.0.4-ubuntu10.04_kernel2.6.32-25.deb

if you have 32 bit the last step is

4b) dpkg -i lirc-nct677x-1.0.4-ubuntu10.04_kernel2.6.32-25.deb

Your remote should work staright away without reboot BUT

If after this your remote dont work try

dpkg-reconfigure lirc
(you may need to run this several times untils theres no errors)

always select nuvoton receivers and transceivers on first screen and none on second...

IMPORTANT
Please ensure you dont have PAE kernels...ONLY linux-image-generic x86 or x64 or 386 are compatible with he drivers.

If it still doesnt work then, let me know so I can do my accounting book.

Tried and tried and tried... I can't get it to work
Code:
till@XBMCLive:~/lirc_treiber$ sudo dpkg-reconfigure lirc

* Stopping execution daemon: irexec
   ...fail!
* Stopping remote control daemon(s): LIRC
   ...fail!
Rather than invoking init scripts through /etc/init.d, use the service(8)
utility, e.g. service udev reload

Since the script you are attempting to invoke has been converted to an
Upstart job, you may also use the reload(8) utility, e.g. reload udev
* Loading LIRC modules
   ...done.
   ...fail!
till@XBMCLive:~/lirc_treiber$ uname -r
2.6.32-26-generic

- X3lectric - 2010-12-13

sorry my bad I added awrong line, cause I thought it would help with kernel .27

do

sudo aptitude purge ~nlirc -y

let it run

The do

sudo aptitude instal lirc -y

let it run

then follow in your case start with step 1)

see tutorial as I edited after posting this.

I have now removed it and confirmed fixed.

people that add used step 0 and didnt work must use the revised tut.

my bad.

sorry try again as advised it will work..

- mobius60 - 2010-12-14

I've been trying to use the revised procedure:

sudo aptitude install lirc -y

but, when I get to the first dpkg I get:

dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of nct677x-dkms:
nct677x-dkms depends on lirc; however:
Package lirc is not installed.
dpkg: error processing nct677x-dkms (--install):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
nct677x-dkms

Any suggestions X3lectric?

- X3lectric - 2010-12-14

mobius60 Wrote:I've been trying to use the revised procedure:

but, when I get to the first dpkg I get:

nct677x-dkms

Any suggestions?

YES, READ what it says... though ill give you a explanation about what does what since clearly you havent a clew. no offense btw.

that removes all a) lirc an b) lirc-modules-source b) was causinmg the problem in the first place.

But then I intructed promptly to

which you apparently havent done otherwise you wouldnt get

Quote:dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of nct677x-dkms:

If you had done it you wouldnt have the depends problem.

BTW support in PM is a no no please dont pm me when the threads are enough and othewise doesnt give ppl changes to learn, and also duplicating the ammount of steps I have to go through.

I hope you undertand now and Im sorry if I appeared rude or harsh.
Im a very ill person and want to help others nonetheless but I get frustrated. Its not personal...

It not using my illness as excuse for acting like an ass, Im trying to deal with it.

peace out.

- mobius60 - 2010-12-14

Apparently you didn't read what I wrote.
I ran

which, as you said, removed lirc.
I then ran

which apparently didn't install lirc.
Whenever I run anything now, I get the dependency error.

And by the way, snide comments don't help anything.
You posted this procedure, so I asked you for clarification.
I'm sorry for your illness, but you are correct, it doesn't justify
acting like an ass.

- X3lectric - 2010-12-14

try apt-get install -f

or dpkg-reconfigure -a Im not sure...

try forcing installing lirc...

that link may help you.

and BTW YOU never said that LIRC never installed nor did you post errors about lirc not installing. which would have been very apparent on the terminal.

you only posted errors after the fact when you dpkg -i dkms and src packages.

Hence my snide remarks and + for the fact you PM me expecting private reply to you issue.

had you posted all the information and not pm me for support questions, I wouldnt have been an ass.

I apologised before and am apologising again.

- mobius60 - 2010-12-14

As I posted before:

nct677x-dkms

- X3lectric - 2010-12-15

ok, that message says that lirc is not installed, not why it is not installed, as there is no error regarding that.

which is the command to INSTALL lirc, what happened?

1) you didnt run the command, therefore lirc did not install, what you highlighted just says its not installed.

2) you ran the command, it failed the install, failing with some error. ita impossible that you ran the install command and lirc didnt instakk with no error... fact.

ARE YOU saying that you did 2?

In order to fix it, without knowing why it failed to install, I may as well guess the lottery numbers.

so I gave you intructions on previous post, which you havent tried...

I would rather you, understand I need information.

i have already wasted considerable free time, and patience asking you for details and asking you to try stuff....

now please do

X3 Wrote:try apt-get install -f

or dpkg-reconfigure -a Im not sure...

try forcing installing lirc...

I want all outputs of these commands

after each command copy the output and pastebin it.

after trying the first command

try to install lirc again, if it fails

i want to know the output result and pastebin it

try second command and again i want all the errors or whatever it says.

try to install lirc again

again ouputs recorded and pastebin them.

is that ok?

post the links to pastebins of all outputs to each command on your next post.

also please read the link i posted.
last orders, i havent slept for 72 hours, pls be more understanding and cooperative.