Kodi Community Forum
ASRock ION 330HT (2nd gen) - built-in IR, which lirc driver? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: ASRock ION 330HT (2nd gen) - built-in IR, which lirc driver? (/showthread.php?tid=61840)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

- X3lectric - 2011-02-01

Novin Wrote:I think there is support for this device already.

Look at this URL previously posted in this thread.

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/mchehab/linux-next.git;a=commitdiff;h=6d2f5c27880c2c72e35432eae10c7a74251050c0

I just now downloaded a 2.6.38-rc and looking in linux-2.6.38-rc3/drivers/media/rc I can find nuvoton-cir.c.

Edit: Actually also in stable 2.6.37..

The NCT6775F is not just for CIR operation with appropriate drivers It also monitors and reports temperatures and fan speeds.

While it worst mentioning not everyone wants to be on cutting edge for everything, I for one and many along with me rather have a stable install and XBMC is barely works really bad normally on karmic (XBMClive) barely scratching Lucid and never mind maverick.

Posting facts that have no bearing on the long list of karmic/lucid users,

I would suggest perhaps post a patch for earlier kernels that also supports lm-sensors which to this date goes unsupported by lm sensors project.

Reminding again this is a multifunction chip that does more then CIR.

Which escapes many peoples mind on the importance of this fact.

- Novin - 2011-02-01

X3lectric Wrote:The NCT6775F is not just for CIR operation with appropriate drivers It also monitors and reports temperatures and fan speeds.

While it worst mentioning not everyone wants to be on cutting edge for everything, I for one and many along with me rather have a stable install and XBMC is barely works really bad normally on karmic (XBMClive) barely scratching Lucid and never mind maverick.

Posting facts that have no bearing on the long list of karmic/lucid users,

I would suggest perhaps post a patch for earlier kernels that also supports lm-sensors which to this date goes unsupported by lm sensors project.

Reminding again this is a multifunction chip that does more then CIR.

Which escapes many peoples mind on the importance of this fact.

Maverick isn't cutting edge, released 10/10 2010. I'm using it since a couple of months and it's extremely stable, along with drivers provided by Asrock. Just stay clear of updating your kernel because the Asrock drivers are tightly bound to the kernel version. My XBMC has been running for these months without interruptions.

That this chip does other things than being a CIR is not important at all for most people, why do you need hardware monitoring? Pretty much just for "geeks". With normal usage you don't need to monitor fan RPMs, CPU temperature etc.

Ubuntu Natty 11.04 will be released 28/4 2011 and will have support for this chipset out-of-the-box. No more hassle..

One could also use XBMCfreak live cd which will probably also "just work".

http://www.xbmcfreak.nl/en/explanation-about-the-different-xbmc-10-00-versions/

- X3lectric - 2011-02-01

I am a geek and I want hardware monitoring and control... Do you have a problem with this?

I Beg to differ on your poorly and malformed opinions, which are based on nothing but your personal opinion, you contribute 0 to any problems related to XBMC issues on here. you only use others work and offer nothing in return of any value whatsoever.

While mine are based on experience developing and maintaining a script known as XCI (XBMC complete installer including ppa builds and other work) and all my users and other users want and USE this feature for quite a long time now.

My experience installing XBMC and configuring ION boxes is second to none here on these forums. As well as fixing your so called problems with Asrock drivers amongst ther things, I have typed How-tos in excess over 60k characters for the ION boxes here besides all other work, what have you done, pray tell.

I help Other users FACT.

You on the other hand appear once in a awhile to spew nothing that is worth the read, I thought I would reply to set your ignorant comments straight.

Go back to Ubuntu Forums where you are ignored. which is what I should have done.

- X3lectric - 2011-02-01

sz3za Wrote:Hi,

I want to look for kernel support for this chip. May You be so kind and forward me datasheet for NCT6775F ?
Thx in advance !

I would be interest in Lucid and Karmic patches for both CIR and system temperatures monitoring as well as fan reporting and control which this chip supports in abundance. ATM I have a workaround implemented to extract the sensors information form chip, but unfortunately cannot control system fans because my skills are limited. But temperature reports are 100% accurate vs coretemp which reports - 20C if not more.

LM-sensors project so far have done little on this chip for the hardware monitoring features, they require a borad donation which I cannot afford atm.

The Drivers will be included on lirc soon enough, if you find OpenelecTV he has donated a board to lirc developers and works as been done regrading the Asrock HT....

I will monitor this thread for useful contributions only form now on from yourself as you seem to be a like-minded person and understand the concept of giving and taking.

Regards, please keep me updated via PM if necessary.

- Novin - 2011-02-01

X3lectric Wrote:I am a geek and I want hardware monitoring and control... Do you have a problem with this?

I Beg to differ on your poorly and malformed opinions, which are based on nothing but your personal opinion, you contribute 0 to any problems related to XBMC issues on here. you only use others work and offer nothing in return of any value whatsoever.

While mine are based on experience developing and maintaining a script known as XCI (XBMC complete installer including ppa builds and other work) and all my users and other users want and USE this feature for quite a long time now.

My experience installing XBMC and configuring ION boxes is second to none here on these forums. As well as fixing your so called problems with Asrock drivers amongst ther things, I have typed How-tos in excess over 60k characters for the ION boxes here besides all other work, what have you done, pray tell.

I help Other users FACT.

You on the other hand appear once in a awhile to spew nothing that is worth the read, I thought I would reply to set your ignorant comments straight.

Go back to Ubuntu Forums where you are ignored. which is what I should have done.

You should try to get the sand out of your vagina and see if that might help you.

Cheers

- X3lectric - 2011-02-01

lol what a looser with a capital L

- vikjon0 - 2011-02-01

ok, unsubscribed.

- scalpel - 2011-02-01

I installed kernel 2.6.37, remote working but have double presses in xbmc. So i turn off lirc and now works but only cursors keys. I will be grateful for any info to get it working.

Remote not working with Kernel 2.6.37 - lachmac - 2011-02-01

I also upgraded the kernel, and am now looking for a "how-to" to get the remote working.

scalpel Wrote:I installed kernel 2.6.37, remote working but have double presses in xbmc. So i turn off lirc and now works but only cursors keys. I will be grateful for any info to get it working.

- scalpel - 2011-02-01

it works but somethings wrong with keymap or similiar

- xp314a - 2011-03-02

I was able to get LIRC working with the nuvoton-cir kernel module. I'm not sure at what point the module was added to the Ubuntu kernel, but I know for sure that it is in 2.6.38-5-generic (the default kernel in the latest Natty build).

Something to note, at some point in all this I started having to use 'sudo irw' rather than just 'irw'.

To confirm the module is in your kernel build, run 'lsmod | grep nuvoton' and you should see something like:

Code:
nuvoton_cir            17643  0
rc_core                25760  10 mceusb,ir_lirc_codec,ir_sony_decoder,ir_jvc_decoder,ir_rc6_decoder,ir_rc5_decoder,rc_rc6_mce,ir_nec_decoder,nuvoton_cir

Just make sure 'nuvoton_cir' is there.

To make LIRC work with the in-kernel module, I had to install LIRC 0.9.0-pre1. I compiled it from Git and, to avoid having to deal with configuration and initscripts, I installed it right over the top of the apt package. The commands to do this are (you may have to install dependencies for this to work):

Code:
git clone git://lirc.git.sourceforge.net/gitroot/lirc/lirc
cd lirc
./autogen.sh
./configure --with-driver=userspace --prefix=/usr
make
sudo make install

Then I ran 'sudo dpkg-reconfigure lirc' and selected 'Windows Media Center Transceivers/Remotes (all)' under 'Remote control configuration' and 'None' under 'IR transmitter'.

At this point I was getting the appropriate response in 'sudo irw', but I got no response from XBMC. Everything appeared to be in order, so I just rebooted and the remote started working properly.

Something to note, before I installed the new version of LIRC, immediately upon booting from the new kernel, the arrow keys were working. Apparently the in-kernel decoding passes the arrow key presses (and some others) to XBMC. Once you get LIRC working with the in-kernel module, you will have double key presses for some keys. In this thread on the LIRC mailing list, a guy posts a link to here with a new initscript that disables the in-kernel decoding. Replace /etc/init.d/lirc with this new initscript. Then give it execute permissions with 'sudo chmod +x /etc/init.d/lirc'. Note that I had to download the file to my laptop then scp it my ASRock, because I couldn't get it download via wget.

Also, before I installed the new version of LIRC, I uninstalled all the ASRock IR driver packages, as they are no longer needed.

Hopefully I didn't miss anything.

- scalpel - 2011-03-02

Thanks for reply, but tell me can you use remote in other programs like by only built in kernel modules?

- xp314a - 2011-03-02

I would think so, but I can't say for sure as I don't have any other programs to test (I just run xbmc-live over a Ubuntu minimal install).

- Rooster242 - 2011-03-03

vikjon0 Wrote:X3lectric, I went for you solution after all, the current version is the smoothest. Thank you very much.

I changed it around to one line dpkg. It works fine and is a bit quicker.

Code:
mkdir Downloads
cd Downloads

Code:
wget
http://ppa.launchpad.net/yavdr/stable-vdr/ubuntu/pool/main/n/nct677x-dkms/lirc-nct677x-src_1.0.4-1yavdr1_all.deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/yavdr/stable-vdr/ubuntu/pool/main/n/nct677x-dkms/nct677x-dkms_1.0.4-1yavdr1_all.deb http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4325533/lirc-nct677x-1.0.4-ubuntu10.04_kernel2.6.32-25.deb
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4325533/lirc-nct677x-x64-1.0.4-ubuntu10.04_kernel2.6.32-25.deb

Code:
sudo dpkg -i nct677x-dkms_1.0.4-1yavdr1_all.deb lirc-nct677x-src_1.0.4-1yavdr1_all.deb lirc-nct677x-1.0.4-ubuntu10.04_kernel2.6.32-25.deb

EDIT:
I have made a complete and clean config and I am creating a clonezilla restore disk right now. If I can find a good place I will upload it somewhere.

Had all kinds of issues after messing around with this for hours. Finally reinstalled XBMC Live on my ASRock ION 3D and followed X3lectric and vikjon0 instructions and violla, works like a charm with the 2.6.32-26 kernel. Thanks guys!

Oh, and I backed up my xbmc profile and restored it after the reinstall... worked great! Kept all my settings and libraries, didn't have to reconfigure a thing.

- demod - 2011-03-04

Quick update, there was a problem in the latest kernel with relation to the Asrock (nuvoton) code. It worked perfectly, but just would not power on or resume from standby.

This was killing me as I wanted to get off the xbmcfreak install I had of one of the release candidates. So I set out to find the fix, anyways a month later I've found it, posted the fix to the dev, and its all working perfectly.

My main reason for moving was boot speed. With a bit of tinkering I could get my xbmcfreak ION 330HT to boot in 45sec.

The guys at openelec made an instant kernel patch and have included the bug fix in their latest RC3. I now cold boot in 20s from power on! Didn't need to muck about with anything, just installed and go.

Go for the ION builds:
http://www.openelec.tv/get-openelec

The patch is also making its way to official kernel releases, I've been told it might make 2.6.38. If not, it'll go into 2.6.39, and 2.6.38.1.