Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] Problems compiling crystalhd branch - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Kodi Application (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=93)
+--- Thread: [LINUX] Problems compiling crystalhd branch (/showthread.php?tid=62708)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

- dan1son - 2009-12-30

pouldam Wrote:Is it because the firmware does not get downloaded to the card? I have bcmFilePlayFw.bin in /usr/lib. Have tried with both the new official firmware and the old one.

Per Davilla's patch for the broadcom source code released yesterday the firmware should now be in /usr/firmware and the library files in /usr/include/libcrystalhd

- matthoffman - 2009-12-30

pouldam Wrote:Hi,

I can not get the Crystal card to work since I upgraded to the official driver (and revision 26190).

Doing an 'lsmod' reveals a 'crystalhd' entry (and no bcm70012 entry as I removed the old driver).

I have also tried the bcm_70012_run.sh script, but to no avail...

Is it because the firmware does not get downloaded to the card? I have bcmFilePlayFw.bin in /usr/lib. Have tried with both the new official firmware and the old one.

Kernel log: http://pastebin.com/m5732c378
xbmc log: http://pastebin.com/m3f406863

Any help is highly appreciated as it was working fine until I updated to the new official driver Sad

I believe you have to recompile XBMC to the latest tree that is synced with released driver source. The file names changed for the Broadcom card and XBMC can't find them. It appears that the card is loading in kernel, just XBMC can't find it because the lib name changed.

- TeknoJnky - 2009-12-30

are there plans for an official/supported 'crystal hd for dummies' type script or installer, and if so which platform(s) might/will become available soonest?

and if not, now that scott/team/broadcom has made hd decoding 'easy', perhaps now its time to look at providing making it 'easy' for the n00bs and neophytes to actually get it up and running with minimal fuss?

- davilla - 2009-12-30

dan1son Wrote:Per Davilla's patch for the broadcom source code released yesterday the firmware should now be in /usr/firmware and the library files in /usr/include/libcrystalhd

correction, it's "/lib/firmware" not "usr/firmware" .

- dan1son - 2009-12-30

TeknoJnky Wrote:are there plans for an official/supported 'crystal hd for dummies' type script or installer, and if so which platform(s) might/will become available soonest?

and if not, now that scott/team/broadcom has made hd decoding 'easy', perhaps now its time to look at providing making it 'easy' for the n00bs and neophytes to actually get it up and running with minimal fuss?

I'd imagine when everything is ready to go that will happen. Right now that keeps those of us willing to go through the extra hurdles a little special Smile.

If you read through this thread you will find some how to guides and so forth...

If you download the source from broadcom http://www.broadcom.com/support/crystal_hd/

unzip it in your home directory.
run 'dos2unix crystalhd/driver/linux/* crystalhd/linux_lib/libcrystalhd/* crystalhd/include/* crystalhd/include/link/*' from your home directory

Download davilla's patch posted a page or two ago. Put it in your home directory and type 'patch -p0 < patchfilename'

Follow his instructions for compiling it (adding ./configure after autoconf).

THEN compile the SVN source (instructions are in the WIKI) and add --enable-crystalhd to the ./configure run. Install it and you should be good to go.

Sure it takes a little more work since to compile XBMC you need to install a bunch of dependencies, but they are all spelled out pretty cleanly in the source code itself (README.ubuntu file)for compiling on ubuntu 8.04.

- TeknoJnky - 2009-12-30

right right, I've already had the crystal hd mostly working a few weeks ago, I just ran out of time and patience and needed to get back to the normal atv/xbmc.

I guess what I am asking is, will all of this eventually become as plug and play as xbmc itself is?

will it remain an 'add-on' (either manual or some easy installation package), or will it become built-in (even moreso than vdapu) and not require any more effort than changing the rendering option to use crystal hd? Since the drivers/libs are open-sourced, could/would they be distributed/compiled in along the other external libraries that xbmc utilizes?

linux obviously being more open, I'd certainly expect updated/new user-made guides/howto's/scripts, but I'm asking about how far the official/supported installation will go? I'm assuming any timeline will be working towards the next stable release.

- davilla - 2009-12-30

Think seamless Smile

- pouldam - 2009-12-31

dan1son Wrote:Per Davilla's patch for the broadcom source code released yesterday the firmware should now be in /usr/firmware and the library files in /usr/include/libcrystalhd

Thanks a lot! Don't know how I overlooked that... anyway, it works now after following your (and Davilla's corrected) advice.

Some movies drop frames and stutter a lot with the new build (compared to my previous build from the 22nd December which was silky smooth). However, I guess (hope that is) it is related to the work in progress.

- i5Js - 2009-12-31

I've compiled and installed broadcom driver successfully but, when I try to configure XBMC with --enable-crystalhd the xbmc doesn't recognize it

this is the out of lspci

Code:
[10404.069794] Starting BCM70012 Device
[10404.308151] clock is moving to 175 with n 35 with vco_mg 2
[10404.308176] CStopping BCM70012 Device
[10404.532060] Broadcom 70012 Decoder 0000:02:00.0: setting latency timer to 64

XBMC Configuration:
------------------------
Debugging: Yes
Profiling: No
Optimization: Yes
OpenGL: Yes
VDPAU: No
CrystalHD: No
Joystick: Yes
XRandR: Yes
GOOM: No
PCRE Support: Yes
MID Support: No
ccache: Yes
PulseAudio: Yes
FAAC: Yes
DVDCSS: Yes
Avahi: Yes
Non-free: Yes
ASAP Codec: No
External Libraries: No
External FFmpeg: No
External liba52: No
External libdts: No
External libmpeg2: No
External libass: No
External libogg: No
External libwavpack: No
External Python: No
prefix: /usr/local
------------------------

What's worng?

BR

- andybz - 2009-12-31

I'm also seeing the video stutter a lot. CPU seems to be low (Mac Mini, 2 cores < 10%), but when switching back to Software Decoding, it actually performs better, at higher CPU.

In my xbmc.log, I'm getting a lot of:

CrystalHD: SetDropState... 0
CrystalHD: SetDropState... 1
DVDVideoCodevCrystalHD: Timeout in Decode. maxWait: 1, ret: 0x000000002 pData: (nil)

- davilla - 2009-12-31

andybz Wrote:I'm also seeing the video stutter a lot. CPU seems to be low (Mac Mini, 2 cores < 10%), but when switching back to Software Decoding, it actually performs better, at higher CPU.

In my xbmc.log, I'm getting a lot of:

CrystalHD: SetDropState... 0
CrystalHD: SetDropState... 1
DVDVideoCodevCrystalHD: Timeout in Decode. maxWait: 1, ret: 0x000000002 pData: (nil)

Something's borked in svn trunk, looking into it now.

- davilla - 2009-12-31

i5Js Wrote:I've compiled and installed broadcom driver successfully but, when I try to configure XBMC with --enable-crystalhd the xbmc doesn't recognize it

configure needs to see a) "/usr/lib/libcrystalhd.so" and b) "/usr/include/libcrystalhd/libcrystalhd_if.h"

if you don't see these, then you did not patch and install the cyrstalhd lib correctly.

- i5Js - 2009-12-31

how can i patch it?

EDIT: Never mind, I've patch it.

- i5Js - 2009-12-31

I don't have /usr/include/libcrystalhd folder.... I've /usr/include/crystalhd instead..

EDIT: Never mind again, I've got it. Compiling again,

- i5Js - 2009-12-31

davilla Wrote:configure needs to see a) "/usr/lib/libcrystalhd.so" and b) "/usr/include/libcrystalhd/libcrystalhd_if.h"

if you don't see these, then you did not patch and install the cyrstalhd lib correctly.

a)
Code:
ls -l /usr/lib/libcrystalhd.so
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19 2009-12-31 02:40 /usr/lib/libcrystalhd.so -> libcrystalhd.so.1.0

b)
Code:
ls -l /usr/include/libcrystalhd/libcrystalhd_if.h
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 32785 2009-12-31 02:40 /usr/include/libcrystalhd/libcrystalhd_if.h

But...

Code:
------------------------
  XBMC Configuration:
------------------------
  Debugging:    Yes
  Profiling:    No
  Optimization:    Yes
  OpenGL:    Yes
  VDPAU:    No
  CrystalHD:    No

It's very late here... I'm going to sleep.

Good night everybody