Kodi Community Forum
Chinese characters - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Skins Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=67)
+---- Forum: Rapier (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=120)
+---- Thread: Chinese characters (/showthread.php?tid=62929)

Chinese characters - michal - 2009-11-30

Hi,

My girlfriend is Taiwanese and she watches a lot of Japanese and Korean shows with Chinese subtitles. Now that isn't a problem as these always seem to be RMVB files with hardcoded subtitles, however the filenames are usually in Chinese. Right now they just show as rectangles.

Is there any way to configure XBMC or mod Rapier to show these Chinese characters in the VIDEO view at least?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Michal

P.S. I am using the latest Beta1 under Ubuntu Linux 9.04. I've also tried Confluence and PM3.HD with Arial font but this made no difference. Still rectangles.

- ira6984 - 2009-11-30

Hello
I am from Taiwan too,

If you seem video file name in xbmc as rectangles, you should edit skin default fonts as Chinese font, as I know, the default is English only.
(copy chinese font file into skin/font, and edit skin/720P/font.xml file to match the chinese fonts file)

If you seem subtitle as rectangles when watching shows, you should copy chinese fonts file into /xbmc/media/Fonts folder, and setting subtitle font in xbmc setting/Video/subtitle.

or, you can download that I edited Rapier, it support English and Chinese,
but still need copy chinese fonts file to /xbmc/media/Fonts to show chinese subtitle.
Download here :

Sorry my poor english, wish it help you.Blush

- michal - 2009-11-30

Thank you for your help.

I can understand your instructions perfectly. Unfortunately I don't seem to be able to download the font file from Badango. I've tried using Safari, Firefox and Internet Explorer without any luck.

Where did you get the Chinese fonts that you used? I'm sure I could edit the skins myself. Thanks.

Regards,
Michal

- ira6984 - 2009-12-01

Usually, I got the file from chinese system either windows or Linux, that's easy for chinese user.
If you using Linux system, you have to install chinese fonts, it's free and easy.
Or using MS windows,....I think the easy way is : Does your girl friend have a notebook that installed chinese system?

Regards.
Ira

- michal - 2009-12-01

Ok, I think I've found some Chinese fonts. The only problem is that this will mess with the look of the Rapier skin, big time.

Do you know if there is anyway to ADD the Chinese fonts to the existing fonts? So that the Chinese characters are used only for Chinese and they do not replace any of the Western characters?

Regards,
Michal

- ira6984 - 2009-12-01

Hi~

Most chinese fonts include Western characters (English).
If you mean Spanish or German etc..., it's hard...
Could you tell me what language?
Maybe I could help you.

Regards,
Ira

- michal - 2009-12-01

ira6984 Wrote:Hi~

Most chinese fonts include Western characters (English).
If you mean Spanish or German etc..., I never see that .

Regards,
Ira

No no, I mean If I use a Chinese font the Western characters it includes obviously won't look the same as those in the Rapier fonts.

I was just wondering if there was a way to keep the Rapier Western characters from the font and use the Chinese characters from the Chinese font. That would be perfect.

Regards,
Michal

- ira6984 - 2009-12-01

OK, RolleyesI got it,

as I know, the only way is...edit the font file yourself...
but, hardCool

Regards,
Ira

- michal - 2009-12-01

Where can I set the font being used for the MyVideos ListView?
I figure it's in ViewsCommon.xml but I can't figure it out.

Regards,
Michal

EDIT: Found it in Fonts.xml, ListLabelFont and ListLabel2Font

- michal - 2009-12-02

FontForge seems to be able to merge fonts without much trouble, however, now I am confused as to which characters are actually used in the filenames of the Chinese shows.

It seems that the Droid font being used has Chinese support and yet it can't display the filenames.

Obviously I don't fully understand what is required for full Chinese support. All I know is that there are Traditional and Simplified characters and I can only assume that these always appear at the same place in Unicode fonts.

Anyone have any further insights?

My goal is to have a font fully populated with the necessary Chinese characters (and no others) and merge it with any font in any XBMC skin as necessary without losing the existing characters (and thus the look) of the font.

- ira6984 - 2009-12-02

Is the Droid Font ture type(.ttf) ?
And should be UTF-8 or Unicode.

- ira6984 - 2009-12-02

IF you JUST want change LIST view,
the settings here : /720p/ViewsCommon.xml

You can create a new font in Font.xml
then link and change in Viewscommon.xml

Good Luck!Laugh

Regards,
Ira

- ira6984 - 2009-12-02

Sorry, and...
T.Chinese and S.Chinese are different.
You have to ensure the Droid Font and files name match same Chinese type.
(T.Chinese or S.Chinese)
Taiwan = T.Chinese
but most share shows on Internet = S.Chinese.

Regards,
Ira