Kodi Community Forum
Back Row General Discussion - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Skins Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=67)
+---- Forum: Skin Archive (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=179)
+----- Forum: Back Row (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=127)
+----- Thread: Back Row General Discussion (/showthread.php?tid=63773)

- Sharpe - 2010-10-13

I've not changed the curtain image in the homescreen just the views as you scroll through - I was thinking the darker background brought the covers to life more effectively. I was particularly trying to make the music views stand out more as they use the curtain background more. It's still very much a work in progress though - I've still to improve the options for choosing your own menu backgrounds. Please by all means if you can mock up something that would be great.

- djdafreund - 2010-10-14

I knew that's what you meant Smile I am just saying, it does look better darkened to bring out the cover's more, BUT the way it look's now is a much worse case. Now, it's way too plain (most of the screen is black, then some white text.) I will mess with the image to get a good compromise, since i know the goal you were trying to accomplish, i just think it was more a drastic change, just to get that effect.

- Sharpe - 2010-10-14

Superb - it's all set up for whatever you fancy. Just replace the background.jpg in the media folder with whatever curtain replacement you come up with.

Also I've just made a bunch of skin changes to get the fallback default menu wallpaper working right in all the views. If you select disable curtain background in skin options - it now defaults to displaying the menu wallpaper in the Default Wallpaper folder within images. Obviously you can change that via the wallpaper selector in skin options. Hopefully just gives a bit more customisation.

Cheers

- djdafreund - 2010-10-15

Ok, done. SVN is already using this new image.

I still kept the idea of the more highlighted center, and contrasted area's around, but did the gradient more natural looking and smooth. And works with all view's using the image.

- Uli666 - 2010-10-15

I think I know that image... hehehe!!! ;-)
Well done guys! I like how the new background looks!

Uli666

- djdafreund - 2010-10-15

Sup Uli666? Smile How do you mean you know that image?

- Sharpe - 2010-10-15

Hi bud

I think he means the previous image I was using - it was a music fanart image Uli was using that he'd shared with me a few months back.

New image looks solid Dj - nice work.

Uli666 - if you still want to use your own image you can easily do that now as well.

- Uli666 - 2010-10-15

Sharpe Wrote:I think he means the previous image I was using - it was a music fanart image Uli was using that he'd shared with me a few months back.
Yep! Exactly what I meant! Laugh

Sharpe Wrote:Uli666 - if you still want to use your own image you can easily do that now as well.
Ok! Anyway I like DJ image too, so I'll keep that one. Nod

Thanks to both of you guys!

Uli666

- djdafreund - 2010-10-16

Ah, gotcha. Thanks for the compliment's to us too. Sharpe's quickness ALWAYS amazes me!!! I work on graphic's when i can to be honest. Been in and out of the hospital a lot lately, but hoping things will start stabilizing, so i can start on revamping some remaining SD (less then actually) looking images.

- Sharpe - 2010-10-16

Hope you are feeling better soon mate - don't worry about having to do stuff, your health is way more important.

- djdafreund - 2010-10-18

Thanks bud for the support. Also, CRAP, i can't run XBMC for some reason anymore. And it doesn't seem to get to a point where there's a log even to get e started on what the reason for the crashing, other then I see XBMC.exe in the process list, as well as a windows crash file also in the list during this. I downloaded a nightly build and it does the same thing, so it's a relief it's not something that happened to my building setup. But worse since it worked fine one day, then with really not doing anything, it STOPPED working the next day all the sudden. Fresh install of windows not even 10 days old too!!! YICKS!!! Oh well.

- Sharpe - 2010-10-20

Hopefully you're back up and running now DJ Smile

Okay here's another summary of recent updates now available in the SVN and Dharma download link.

Version 2.9.5
- Revamped the movie coverflow view
- Resized OSD control icons

Version 2.9.4
- Fixed WS circular icon stretching glitch
- Improved home wallpaper transitions
- Added scrollbar to skin options home section
- Removed unused Add-Ons ratings labels
- Changed alternative default menu wallpaper image

Version 2.9.3
- Fixed custom menu wallpaper for all views

I'm going to let these changes sit for a few days before making a request to push these onto the XBMC repo - if anyone does spot any problems with any of these changes - if you could let me know about them that would be great.

Oh and if you've not already seen this here's what the movie coverflow view has evolved into:

- djdafreund - 2010-10-20

oooooh, that's looking beautiful buddy!! Looking 'Sharpe' LOL. Like a nice fanart,with covers on a grey clean table,shining the reflection. I wish we could do box cover's that would look right, being flat 2d images, wouldn't look right though at an angle when applying a blluray/dvd box overlay to it. Possibly do it to the center selected image cover thought?? What6 do you think about that if possible?
I found a thread about the problem i am having. it's related to XBMC builds when using Vs2008 to build, they found out the problem,and are hoping to fix it soon. No error,s when building, just crashe when running. Some recent stuff done thats causing it. So i should be back up soon once they get that fixed in SVN. Good news. Are you getting the same thing when bringing up shutdown options btw, shows icon's, no text below them (used to),and a line's extra worth of dead space of blackness. Looks oddly spaced. Wanted to run that by you. I had an idea about remaking the bg to more transparent, or also gradient with it a little less gradient around the button's area. What do you think. Can also do a few mockups too. Might just do that actually. Which image is used on that screen?

- Sharpe - 2010-10-21

djdafreund Wrote:Are you getting the same thing when bringing up shutdown options btw, shows icon's, no text below them (used to),and a line's extra worth of dead space of blackness. Looks oddly spaced. Wanted to run that by you. I had an idea about remaking the bg to more transparent, or also gradient with it a little less gradient around the button's area. What do you think. Can also do a few mockups too. Might just do that actually. Which image is used on that screen?

No not getting that problem using Dharma beta 3 on a windows PC - what are you running things on - I'm guessing Linux? Does this fix it?

The background image is just the generic black background spaced out with a slight diffuse added to it via the xml.

Please absolutely feel free to come up something however like I said, other than bug fixing, I don't want to make any major changes for a few days in order to get this onto the repo. The new guidelines for doing that say we should wait a while after any changes before asking for a SVN pull request (which makes sense).

- djdafreund - 2010-10-22

Never mind, it's working with the darma b3, pc version. I'll stick with that until they fix the building problem for now. No major changes will you have to worry (mmmm, yes, the force is strong with this one is it. LOL.), i was just thinking about tinkering with it to see if it can be improved is all, with little touches. I guess i can do the button click's next. The one's in setting's and anywhere else, where it's a blue orb (very pixely though, and low-res), and slight greyed outer edge when not selected.

And don't worry about the pull's. I didn't forget about that. Shame that your almost in a sense being held back from wanting to evolve quickly. The skin is finished obviously, so it's not an excuse of someone saying "Well, should've waited til it's finished before releasing it", but rather we love doing the same thing XBMC does, a great product that we just love evolving and constantly improving on idea's. Same way XBMC changes daily, with either fixes, or new additions. Smile