Kodi Community Forum
Back Row General Discussion - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Skins Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=67)
+---- Forum: Skin Archive (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=179)
+----- Forum: Back Row (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=127)
+----- Thread: Back Row General Discussion (/showthread.php?tid=63773)

- Sharpe - 2011-03-08

I guess folder.jpg is used as that's what many media managers save in your show's folder (like ember does). Also folder.jpg works if you use posters and specify posters instead of banners. Or am I missing something obvious (which is quite likely)?

- ppic - 2011-03-08

folder.jpg is the default thumb used by xbmc if it's present when scrapping.

with logo downloader, you can have all kinds of image like this in you tvshow folder:
-logo.png
-banner.jpg
-poster.jpg
-clearart.png
-landscape.jpg

then you can use them

- Sharpe - 2011-03-08

Oh right I'd not thought about the logo downloader - that's an idea I suppose. Thanks mate.

- ppic - 2011-03-08

ho you make me think that i've forgot to push the last version on off repo !!!

- supertom44 - 2011-03-08

ppic Wrote:folder.jpg is the default thumb used by xbmc if it's present when scrapping.

with logo downloader, you can have all kinds of image like this in you tvshow folder:
-logo.png
-banner.jpg
-poster.jpg
-clearart.png
-landscape.jpg

then you can use them

I do love skins that make use of these files, means I can change between banners and posters without having to rename or redownload anything.

- djdafreund - 2011-03-08

Yeah, i would think using banner.jpg would be a better approach, people that use the default scraper would always have those. I'm using logo downloader (whichever version xbmc grabs. 2.3.0 it shows) and below is my structure-

I don't have a folder.jpg though in my folder's as my setup is done all automated currently, so if xbmc doesn't scrap one (using thetvdb), there won't be one since i don't manually get anything (haven't for 4 years though really.) lemme know if there's something i am still missing. It might be something i've missed from getting rusty with some things. The more automated things gets with XBMC (i always use advantage of them) the more i might forget in time when not manually needing to do stuff. LOL.
Edit- Ok, manuallly downloaded a banner image off of thetvdb site and named it folder and put it in family guy folder and it shows in tv guide now. Problem is (outside of manually getting one for all my shows), i noticed tv logo can get one, but it only show's one for tv thumb (if any) and it's only a cover image and not banner, so this wouldn't really help. Could we have it use the banner.jpg image, since it's an image we would already have scraped?

- Sharpe - 2011-03-08

djdafreund Wrote:Yeah, i would think using banner.jpg would be a better approach, people that use the default scraper would always have those. I'm using logo downloader (whichever version xbmc grabs. 2.3.0 it shows) and below is my structure-
I don't have a folder.jpg though in my folder's as my setup is done all automated currently, so if xbmc doesn't scrap one (using thetvdb), there won't be one since i don't manually get anything (haven't for 4 years though really.) lemme know if there's something i am still missing. It might be something i've missed from getting rusty with some things. The more automated things gets with XBMC (i always use advantage of them) the more i might forget in time when not manually needing to do stuff. LOL.
Edit- Ok, manuallly downloaded a banner image off of thetvdb site and named it folder and put it in family guy folder and it shows in tv guide now. Problem is (outside of manually getting one for all my shows), i noticed tv logo can get one, but it only show's one for tv thumb (if any) and it's only a cover image and not banner, so this wouldn't really help. Could we have it use the banner.jpg image, since it's an image we would already have scraped?

Well at least you know why it wasn't working - like I said you need a folder.jpg in the root folder for it to work.

The thing is I use Ember to automatically download my TV shows info's and artwork (as I suspect a fair few probably do) and one of the nice options it has is the ability to automatically create a folder.jpg in each TV Show root folder - which is what I do. It doesn't seem to be able to create a banner.jpg (I might be wrong though).

It would be great if the image could be read directly from the XBMC internal db but it can't so we're a bit limited to these skin hacks. - By the way I didn't think using the default scraper downloaded anything - am I wrong?

So if I alter the code to look for banner.jpg instead of folder.jpg it's basically just a toss up between which way do you prefer to get your images - from something like Ember with it's folder.jpg or by using the logo downloader script and it's use of banner.jpg? Obviously if we go with using banner.jpg I would then also have to alter all the code for those using poster.jpg. What do people think?

- ppic - 2011-03-08

logo downloader download what you want and name it how you want!

test with banner=banner.jpg in parameter, this will download banner for your show and it will be named banner.jpg
if you test with banner=True, banner will be downloaded and named folder.jpg

i've included a readme in next version, you can find the next version on passion xbmc repo, look a it, and tell me if you need more things to be writted, so i can add it before pushing it Wink

- ppic - 2011-03-08

xbmc scraper doesn't create thumb, it's only putting image in xbmc cache.
it will create a folder.jpg when exporting db in multiple files.

- Sharpe - 2011-03-08

ppic Wrote:logo downloader download what you want and name it how you want!

test with banner=banner.jpg in parameter, this will download banner for your show and it will be named banner.jpg
if you test with banner=True, banner will be downloaded and named folder.jpg

i've included a readme in next version, you can find the next version on passion xbmc repo, look a it, and tell me if you need more things to be writted, so i can add it before pushing it Wink

Damn - you're fast!

I'll check out the version on Passion and get back to you Big Grin

- mcborzu - 2011-03-08

This seems to be the standard:

folder.jpg = your main, XBMC cached thumb
landscape.jpg = a 16x9 thumb
banner.jpg = a banner thumb
poster.jpg *is this used? I know I use it but for testing purposes as I use Landscape as my main...

What seems to be the main consensus is to have XBMC scrape Posters by default, then we provide the "hacks" to allow landscape.jpg/banner.jpg as skin settings...

Also not sure whats up with the Ember scene since Nuno left but there used to be an XBMCstuff.com addon, not sure if there is a new one for Fanart.tv?

- Sharpe - 2011-03-08

Yeah I don't personally use Landscape, Banner or Poster probably why I've always neglected them preferring folder.jpg (either a banner or a poster) as an easy goto standard. Happy to adapt to what people want though.

- pecinko - 2011-03-08

mcborzu Wrote:This seems to be the standard:
What seems to be the main consensus is to have XBMC scrape Posters by default, then we provide the "hacks" to allow landscape.jpg/banner.jpg as skin settings...

Well I would LOVE that, but doesn't XBMC scrape banners as default for TV Shows?

- djdafreund - 2011-03-08

yeah, by default it does get/use banners, which is the only reason i assumed we used banner images for tv guide. At least ever insta/l i've personally setup was default this was. I know we can do poster format for tv shows, i've just always left things default, which i'm sure are cool also.

Knowing about those tv logo downloader settings, i'll give that a shot and see how that works. Usefull info to know,n thanks for sharring and doing that. GREAT script!!!!

- Sharpe - 2011-03-08

It certainly is a great script amongst the other cool addons he's made - I'm still smiling from people's reactions to ppic's tv tunes script when they see it all working on my setup at home and then hear the theme music start.

Well then what do we reckon? Continue with folder.jpg as the standard or move to banner.jpg and poster.jpg?