Kodi Community Forum
Back Row General Discussion - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Skins Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=67)
+---- Forum: Skin Archive (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=179)
+----- Forum: Back Row (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=127)
+----- Thread: Back Row General Discussion (/showthread.php?tid=63773)

- kiboy6 - 2011-07-06

Hi Sharpe,

Just began to check out the pre-eden vesion...looking really great Smile The change to HD everywhere definitely worthwhile - the general air of slickness is even higher now when it was hard to see room for improvement before!

I have a few questions...

1) Are the file mode views no longer there for Videos? Using the Dharma version, I used to be able to have "Videos" home button default to a particular folder in file view. I had all my non-scrapable content in there. I was still able to use all the nice views like DVD case view, which would display locally stored thumbs. It seems that with the new pre-eden version I can now only view all sources in library mode. (The toggle button is gone from the side-menu).

2) When I try to "set favorite" for a custom home shortcut the list of favorites is blank even though I do have some sources marked as favorites. I can see my favorites via the heart on the home menu, but when selected they don't play nice (blank listing or non-navigable listing)

I love the integration of the last.fm slideshow script. A few outstanding questions / problems:

A) I love the way the generic fanart pic plays until the first last.fm image is downloaded. However when changing from one artist to another the old artist's pics are played until the new artist's first image is downloaded. Especially if your connection is congested, this can lead to the wrong artist's pix being displayed for quite a while. Any way to have it always fall back to the generic image?

B) Any way to alter the speed of / disable Ken Burns for the last.fm slideshow?

C) Last.fm slideshow won't play behind home menu even with "enable visualization and slideshow in home enabled".

D) Did you ever check out the feasibility of getting the now playing banner on top of the last.fm slideshow? That way it would be possible to see what song is playing just by glancing at the screen, without having to press tab / esc etc.

Some of those questions may be better posed to Ronie in the script thread - let me know if so Smile

Thanks so much Sharpe Smile

- Sharpe - 2011-07-06

Howdy - good to see you taking the plunge mate.

Quote:1) Are the file mode views no longer there for Videos? Using the Dharma version, I used to be able to have "Videos" home button default to a particular folder in file view. I had all my non-scrapable content in there. I was still able to use all the nice views like DVD case view, which would display locally stored thumbs. It seems that with the new pre-eden version I can now only view all sources in library mode. (The toggle button is gone from the side-menu).

Yep that's what's happened - "videos" are now a node of the video library. So you are currently limited to a few file views. However If you set your misc folder to content type, for example, "movie" but exclude it from library updates then you will be able to use the video library movie views when going into that folder.

Quote:2) When I try to "set favorite" for a custom home shortcut the list of favorites is blank even though I do have some sources marked as favorites. I can see my favorites via the heart on the home menu, but when selected they don't play nice (blank listing or non-navigable listing)

Oh sounds like you need the up to date favourite script. Link Try using that in your addons folder instead of the old one in there.

Quote:I love the integration of the last.fm slideshow script. A few outstanding questions / problems:

A) I love the way the generic fanart pic plays until the first last.fm image is downloaded. However when changing from one artist to another the old artist's pics are played until the new artist's first image is downloaded. Especially if your connection is congested, this can lead to the wrong artist's pix being displayed for quite a while. Any way to have it always fall back to the generic image?

I don't think so skinwise - ronie may be able to help with that. I think once you have a batch of fanart downloaded this becomes much less of an issue.

Quote:B) Any way to alter the speed of / disable Ken Burns for the last.fm slideshow?

Yes - I can see about adding the on off toggle to it - currently I'd just left it enabled.

Quote:C) Last.fm slideshow won't play behind home menu even with "enable visualization and slideshow in home enabled".

I'm not sure but I don't think it's possible. I think it's just been built to be used in that screen. - One for our friend ronie again I think.

Quote:D) Did you ever check out the feasibility of getting the now playing banner on top of the last.fm slideshow? That way it would be possible to see what song is playing just by glancing at the screen, without having to press tab / esc etc.

I will try this been a bit busy and not got round to it yet.

#Edit - ok I've added it to the SVN check it out.

- kiboy6 - 2011-07-08

Hi Sharpe - thanks so much as always for the speedy and detailed response Smile

Sharpe Wrote:If you set your misc folder to content type, for example, "movie" but exclude it from library updates then you will be able to use the video library movie views when going into that folder.

Cool...that works nicely. Only problem is that there is no option to "mark as default" that folder. I could always add it as a favorite, and then use a custom home-menu button instead of the Videos one I suppose. (The new favorites script you provided works great thanks)

Quote:Re: changing last.fm artist as soon as new artist starts playing
I don't think so skinwise - ronie may be able to help with that. I think once you have a batch of fanart downloaded this becomes much less of an issue.

Cool - I'll post about this in the script thread then. From my experience it can take a while to change even once cached images are already available for the next artist. Didn't you add the generic pic with the muti-coloured notes though?

Quote:Re: Ken Burns for slideshow
Yes - I can see about adding the on off toggle to it - currently I'd just left it enabled.
Sounds great Smile

Quote: regarding last.fm slideshow as background in home screen
I'm not sure but I don't think it's possible. I think it's just been built to be used in that screen. - One for our friend ronie again I think.

Found this on Ronies's thread...:
Ronie Wrote:the script will only do anything when you're actually playing music.
it's not limited to showing the slideshow in the fullscreen window though.
the slideshow of the currently playing artist can be shown anywhere in the skin,if a skinner decides to implement it that way.
if I remember rightly I think I read somewhere that it is already displayed in the home screen in Transparency.

Quote:#Edit - ok I've added it to the SVN check it out.
Wow - that's exactly what I wanted...makes a big difference to me seeing what's playing at a glance. Thanks!

- kiboy6 - 2011-07-08

Also noticed a few small bugs in the pre-eden svn:

1.) If any custom Home Shortcuts are set up via the skin options page then home submenus disappear for all the home screen buttons.

2.) If 2 custom home shortcuts are set up, there is a glitch in the home-menu left-right scrolling. Hard to describe, but you can see a moment of blank bar on the left of the menu-bar as you scroll. Hope you can see the same thing so you know what I'm talking about. Oddly this problem isn't there if 1 or 3 home shortcuts are activated.

3.) On the secondary home menu screen (the one brought up by pressing "down" and then the "tools" button), I have several empty fields that can be selected at the bottom of the list. Really not a big deal, but figured you'd want to know so you can tidy it up Smile

4.) Random items aren't working on the home screen - but I think you mentioned this is an XBMC issue right?

5.) I set up my non-scrapable folder as a favourite (set content as movies, excluded from library updates as you suggested). I then access this favorite from a home menu shortcut. Once browsing this source however, if i press the "..." button or backspace to go up a level I am presented with a listing of the files / folders up one level (ie a listing containing a bunch of non XBMC intended file / folders). Shouldn't this just take me to the library root (not the file /folder root) in the new system?

Cheers!

- Sharpe - 2011-07-08

Quote:Also noticed a few small bugs in the pre-eden svn:

1.) If any custom Home Shortcuts are set up via the skin options page then home submenus disappear for all the home screen buttons.

Oh right I'll check that out.

Quote:2.) If 2 custom home shortcuts are set up, there is a glitch in the home-menu left-right scrolling. Hard to describe, but you can see a moment of blank bar on the left of the menu-bar as you scroll. Hope you can see the same thing so you know what I'm talking about. Oddly this problem isn't there if 1 or 3 home shortcuts are activated.

Yes I'm aware of this it seems to be a new bug that was introduced a few builds back - dirty region time(ish) - that messes up wraplists - It can be worked around by making the wraplist much longer than the screen itself. I was just keeping an eye on it as things developed before deciding what to do.

Quote:3.) On the secondary home menu screen (the one brought up by pressing "down" and then the "tools" button), I have several empty fields that can be selected at the bottom of the list. Really not a big deal, but figured you'd want to know so you can tidy it up Smile

Cheers I'll check this.

Quote:4.) Random items aren't working on the home screen - but I think you mentioned this is an XBMC issue right?

Cheers!

Yep I've disabled the script for the time being as I can't stop it from randomly crashing the skin on startup when it's combined with the next airing script. Another one to keep an eye on.

Quote:5.) I set up my non-scrapable folder as a favourite (set content as movies, excluded from library updates as you suggested). I then access this favorite from a home menu shortcut. Once browsing this source however, if i press the "..." button or backspace to go up a level I am presented with a listing of the files / folders up one level (ie a listing containing a bunch of non XBMC intended file / folders). Shouldn't this just take me to the library root (not the file /folder root) in the new system?

Maybe - currently it works as you point out though. - Not a skin thing as far as I'm aware.

Thanks for the bug reports mate - keep them coming.

- kiboy6 - 2011-07-08

Sharpe Wrote:Thanks for the bug reports mate - keep them coming.

My pleasure Wink

Quick question...is tv-tunes broken with the latest XBMC build?

- Sharpe - 2011-07-08

Yes it's an issue with python and SMB shares I believe - however someone clever (I forget who it was I'm afraid) posted a version that was fixed and working. When I get back from work I'll post a link to a working version.

- PatrickVogeli - 2011-07-08

Hi!

I've installed your skin and I'm having some issues.

I've selected the Aeon like menu bar and separate backgrounds for each menu item, but the tv-shows one isn't working. I've tried several pictures from several folders and none works, it just displays a black background.

Secons is probably more a request: I love you big wall view. However, I don't like that the info shows automatically, I'd like the info to show when I press Info on the remote. Is there a way to disable this? Even if its tweaking and xml file or whatever.

Thanks! You've done a really great skin!

- kiboy6 - 2011-07-08

PatrickVogeli Wrote:Hi!

Secons is probably more a request: I love you big wall view. However, I don't like that the info shows automatically, I'd like the info to show when I press Info on the remote. Is there a way to disable this? Even if its tweaking and xml file or whatever.

100% agree - i think that pop-up comes way too soon. Makes browsing the lovely view less fun. Would be better, as you say, if it only came up with when info is pressed or something like that. Maybe info pressed again could then bring up the further info if you want it? Don't know if that's even possible though Smile

- Sharpe - 2011-07-08

PatrickVogeli Wrote:Hi!

I've installed your skin and I'm having some issues.

I've selected the Aeon like menu bar and separate backgrounds for each menu item, but the tv-shows one isn't working. I've tried several pictures from several folders and none works, it just displays a black background.

Thanks! You've done a really great skin!

Hi Patrick - for the first question can I just check which version of the skin are you using? The eden-pre or the Dharma one? I can't replicate the error in the eden-pre version and don't have a dharma version installed to test.

For the second part I'll make a toggle button in Skin Options to turn that feature off or on for both icon wall views.

@kiboy6 - I've added a download link to a working version of the TV Tunes script. It's on the main skin download page.

- Sharpe - 2011-07-08

kiboy6 - regarding these two:

Quote:Also noticed a few small bugs in the pre-eden svn:

When you say submenus do you mean the ones under Videos, Movies, TV Shows etc? - If so then that's because submenus haven't been set up to work under the short-cut home menu items. With not really knowing what shortcut's people would be using I never added any. I suppose I could and allow people to pick their own items.

Quote:3.) On the secondary home menu screen (the one brought up by pressing "down" and then the "tools" button), I have several empty fields that can be selected at the bottom of the list. Really not a big deal, but figured you'd want to know so you can tidy it up Smile

Can you just check that you don't have any blank items ticked under submenu custom scripts in skin options - that's probably the cause.

- PatrickVogeli - 2011-07-08

Sharpe Wrote:Hi Patrick - for the first question can I just check which version of the skin are you using? The eden-pre or the Dharma one? I can't replicate the error in the eden-pre version and don't have a dharma version installed to test.

For the second part I'll make a toggle button in Skin Options to turn that feature off or on for both icon wall

Hi! I'm using the dharma version, zip downloaded from the first page. The image is a png 1920x1080 I got from htbackdrops. When I set it up in the options it shows fine in the setting screen, but then in the menu bar it just stays black.

For the second thing, that was exactly what I looked for, thank you very much Smile

- Sharpe - 2011-07-08

PatrickVogeli Wrote:Hi! I'm using the dharma version, zip downloaded from the first page. The image is a png 1920x1080 I got from htbackdrops. When I set it up in the options it shows fine in the setting screen, but then in the menu bar it just stays black.

For the second thing, that was exactly what I looked for, thank you very much Smile

Ok I've added the info toggle to skin options - so far only for the eden-pre version.

I will try and put out a new version for Dharma over the weekend when I get the time.

The wallpaper issue is a bit unusual though - hopefully the new version of the skin will fix it as it's working fine on eden-pre.

- kiboy6 - 2011-07-09

Thanks a lot for the updated tv-tunes script - works fine now. However I'm having to keep it disabled for now as whenever it's enabled Cinema Experience hangs XBMC before the first intro clip plays. I presume that's not a skin level bug though.
actually on further testing this looks like it might be a bug in the skin integration. If i leave the tv-tunes script installed and enabled, but disable the skin option to play tv-themes, then I can't get cinema-experience to hang XBMC. No idea if this makes it more likely to be a skin bug or not though. Here's a debug log of XBMC hanging on press of "cinema experience" with script installed and tv-theme option enabled

Sharpe Wrote:When you say submenus do you mean the ones under Videos, Movies, TV Shows etc? - If so then that's because submenus haven't been set up to work under the short-cut home menu items. With not really knowing what shortcut's people would be using I never added any. I suppose I could and allow people to pick their own items.

I mean things like "genre", "singles" etc under Music for example. Or "TV guide" and "genre" under TV-shows. I know that submenus aren't meant to be available under the user defined home shortcuts (although I would love it if they were).

However, they always used to work on default shortcuts (movies, tv-shows, music etc.) regardless of how many user defined home shortcuts i enable via skin settings. Now, as soon as I enable any user-defined home shortcuts, i cant access submenus on any of the default shortcuts.

Quote:Can you just check that you don't have any blank items ticked under submenu custom scripts in skin options - that's probably the cause.

oops, silly me. Sorry about that!

Quote:Ok I've added the info toggle to skin options - so far only for the eden-pre version.

Hmmm, i see the option in the skin options, but enabling it doesn't seem to make any difference. I still get the pop-up when viewing music singles with "wall icons" view. Incidentally, I do like the simplicity of the pop-up - I just find it comes up too soon. Maybe just delayed say 10 seconds would be good. Is the double info press idea not feasible? (ie press info once to get simple pop up, and again to get regular info screen?). Failing any of that, the option to just disable it is still great though, but not working for me right now.

Thanks so much Sharpe Smile

- Sharpe - 2011-07-09

I'll look into the cinema experience thing and get back to you on it if I can manage to replicate it....

Quote:...I mean things like "genre", "singles" etc under Music for example. Or "TV guide" and "genre" under TV-shows. I know that submenus aren't meant to be available under the user defined home shortcuts (although I would love it if they were).

However, they always used to work on default shortcuts (movies, tv-shows, music etc.) regardless of how many user defined home shortcuts i enable via skin settings. Now, as soon as I enable any user-defined home shortcuts, i cant access submenus on any of the default shortcuts.

Hmmn can't replicate that it's working fine for me here. Might be a hang-up from the previous dharma version of the skin - you could try deleting guisettings.xml in userdata to reset things (although doing that would mean having to re-do any skin customisations you'd made.

Quote:... i see the option in the skin options, but enabling it doesn't seem to make any difference. I still get the pop-up when viewing music singles with "wall icons" view. Incidentally, I do like the simplicity of the pop-up - I just find it comes up too soon. Maybe just delayed say 10 seconds would be good. Is the double info press idea not feasible? (ie press info once to get simple pop up, and again to get regular info screen?).

Oh yeah my bad I'd put the setting in everywhere except under "singles" I'll fix it.

The thing with double tapping "i" is - if you press it once you get the info dialog - so may as well just leave that in place I reckon. No I think on or off is the best setting - if it took longer to show up the info it would probably bother others who'd say it's too long to wait (I'd probably be in that camp myself).

Anyhow I'll update the skin for the singles issue and get back to you on the cinema script.

Cheers

#Edit - fixed the info popup and cinema experience isssues