Kodi Community Forum
Back Row General Discussion - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Skins Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=67)
+---- Forum: Skin Archive (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=179)
+----- Forum: Back Row (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=127)
+----- Thread: Back Row General Discussion (/showthread.php?tid=63773)

- mcoto - 2010-01-28

Those New buttons look awesome.

On other fronts I figured out the problem with my bookmarks. Turns out I'm a moron. For some reason I had a copy of BackRow in my personal settings folder which xbmc was defaulting to. Once I deleted that and placed backrow in with the system files everything works fine.

- djdafreund - 2010-01-28

thanks for the compliment. And also, glad you figured it out and got it work. Hope you enjoy it. The smaller shot doesn't show the button's justice, but you got the idea.

- Bkam - 2010-01-28

Is this skind up to date with camelot , becouse i DL from Back-Row Skin - ALT Download Location but xbmc is telling me that its to old to use .

- mcoto - 2010-01-28

djdafreund Wrote:thanks for the compliment. And also, glad you figured it out and got it work. Hope you enjoy it. The smaller shot doesn't show the button's justice, but you got the idea.

I was using the new skin last night. The buttons are nice. This is only a suggestion, but do you think a red ring instead of the yellow might provide better contrast. It took me a couple of seconds to figure out which button was being highlighted, but once I knew what to look for it was fine.

Bkam- I'm using the most recent build of XBMC and used camelot before this and BackRow worked fine

M

- djdafreund - 2010-01-29

Actually, i already did try a few with a red ring, just because of thinking it might fit the theme, but it actually looked bad. And the yellow looked right and appropriate.

- Sharpe - 2010-01-29

I think they look like Blinged out rings - very nice.

As part of the ongoing OSD alterations - I've shifted the seekbar to the top and stretched it out.

- djdafreund - 2010-01-29

Oh, there we go. That's a lot nicer looking now. Good thinking Sharpe!!
About the yellow, i could adjust it and make it a bit more yellow then what it is now, which should help it a little bit more. I purposely kept from adding that much yellow as i didn't want to over do it, cause you will loose quality in the ring image itself by having too much, but i have room to add more then now, which should help a little.

- o_dog - 2010-01-29

would you be willing to add fanart support in the music section of fileview the same way it's supported in videos? Not a big fan of the librarys but i like fanart....

- Sharpe - 2010-01-29

o_dog Wrote:would you be willing to add fanart support in the music section of fileview the same way it's supported in videos? Not a big fan of the librarys but i like fanart....

Yeah I'll see what I can do.

- ubuntuf4n - 2010-02-02

The Ken Burns Effect should be modified in 2 Points.

1. Could you make the Ken Burns Effect more smooth..?

Especially on a large HDTV (>40") you can see the annoying steps in the Fanart-Changing.
Is it possible to speed up the intervall or make more steps in the fanart-motion?

2. Furthermore i noticed that the Ken-Burns-Effect starts sometimes from the lower part, that produces a headless-people (on the fanart) while scrolling my tvshows / movies. Could you reduce the motion just to left / right / down.
I know this is crying on a really narrow-minded level, but this could help people to get a better view (called golden angle in photography) and to get a better feeling...

BTW: Still best skin. I like the fact that you beware the simplicity.

Edit: I found a Bug. While using the Underscore Symbol for Folders, the whole title of the folder crashs. Same on large fonts.

- mcoto - 2010-02-02

djdafreund Wrote:Actually, i already did try a few with a red ring, just because of thinking it might fit the theme, but it actually looked bad. And the yellow looked right and appropriate.

Cool. Thanks for trying it out.

I like the new seek bar a lot. Its visible but not in the way

- ubuntuf4n - 2010-02-03

3 Thinks/Things:

It would be better for the ergonomy if you would build your movie control bar in a new order.
Most people use their mce remotes for controlling their xbmc.
The fact that the most remotes on the market already give good compatibility for the play, pause, stop, etc (standard actions) need to be noticed.
On the other hand you can see that they have a lots of problems (cant configure them on their remotes) with the special options like video settings / audio settings / make screenshot etc.

So it would be a logic step to give them a better access to these options buy placing them on a direct-access place (2 row mod)

Generally a 2 row structure has futhermore the positive effect that you need lesser button presses (on your remote).
For example if you have a line structure (like now) you have to press left left left left left or right right right right right.
In a 2 way row structure you can press directly down left left / down right right / left left.
This would be a huge step in usability since there are no other skins with such a structure.

Example
If you change it from 1 row x 11 items to 2 rows where the first (upper) row has 6 items:
Back / Rewind / Stop / Pause / Forward / Next

and the second row (lower row) could have the other 5 items.

Think about it. Its defintely worth. But you have to change the position of the running time etc.

Make the silver rings around the play pause etc. button smaller and pls make the symbol larger. IMHO you dont even need the silver ring. This Main Symbols should be a good visual condition, because there are a lots of noobs out there (like familymembers etc.) which only needs a gui which they could see clearly and good.
What about black circles with white sharp-edged Symbols, just no rings. they steal a lots of place for a good visibility, especially if you dont have a projector or if you move with your compact htpc/nettop to your friends home which has a small tv or your garage or.... Just an idea.

Your Weather Plugin just shows 40°F-Degree etc., ...it would be nice if you could integrate also metric values (like 18°C)

Greetings.
Ubuntuf4n

- djdafreund - 2010-02-06

Ok, just finished the newER OSD buttons. I think they still look good now with my new concept, and yet still will comply with the requests. Removed the inner ring, made the inside button bigger to fill the newer space, made the icon's bigger also to fit (larger then normal also for the request of bigger inside icon's. ), and made a new highlight yellow ring, both to properly match the feel, brightened it more (more yellow), and also added a slight glow around and inside the ring for slight effect (neon kind of look.)

Will post picture when finished making all the rest. (one image with a lot of layers to simplify multiple similar images, that's how i roll. Smile) Think smarter, not harder.

Ok, all done with all the buttons (both set's.)

- ubuntuf4n - 2010-02-06

Thanks you!
Now its look like its grown up Smile

In my point of view this is really a little revolution.
Its a little change in the interface, but a big step forward in usability.

I would like to add that it would be great if you could make the pause-name & time (running/total) in the upper corners a little bit larger.
This could be also a big visible enhancement. (Example: Alaska skin)
In this business the vlc player has the best visible condition of osd-symbols. Maybe it can give you a clue about the size.

There are two rules for OSD-Overlays:
1. Beware the Simplicity
2. Bigger is better.

Just an idea: What about killing the text above the timeline (in your screenshot <pause>), and place just a very large symbol in the middle lower part (where the free space is)What do you think?

- mcoto - 2010-02-06

Since everyone is making requests. Nod Would it be possible to add a button to launch the weather script/plugin so I could be checking out the weather and than push the button to launch the script and check out the local Doppler? or better yet I think I saw a mod of rapier where the dopler was the background for the weather.

Either way this is still my favorite.

M