Kodi Community Forum
Notify - iPhone Notification App for XBMC (send push notifications to XBMC) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Supplementary Tools for Kodi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=116)
+--- Thread: Notify - iPhone Notification App for XBMC (send push notifications to XBMC) (/showthread.php?tid=64545)

- jackmeehan - 2010-01-28

johoja Wrote:There is an anonymize..but that will hide both the recipient, and the body.
Yeah I've seen the anonymize feature but I just thought I'd put that idea out there.

In growl for windows, do you know of any way to disable growl notifications when I'm running XBMC?

I like to have the contact pictures in XBMC but don't want two notifications coming up for every SMS I receive etc.

Cheers

Also, on the first page you have written "Have An option to pause playing media on incoming call.(johoja) (replace with eventghost support)"

Does this mean you are scrapping the idea of pausing playback on incoming call?! That was one of the major selling points for me.

- johoja - 2010-01-28

jackmeehan Wrote:Also, on the first page you have written "Have An option to pause playing media on incoming call.(johoja) (replace with eventghost support)"

Does this mean you are scrapping the idea of pausing playback on incoming call?! That was one of the major selling points for me.

Well....not scrapping....different approach. There's no point for my app to do everything, when there's programs out there that already control every minute detail of xbmc...i.e) EventGhost. Also..the LESS my app does is better...as long as the Event is sent...the PC should handle propogating it to whereever it should go...the iPhone is afterall a small device limited by its power, etc. So adding 20 hosts to send events too, etc wouldn't be a good use of this app. Send one or two events to where they should go..i.e) Growl..or EventGhost.. and then Growl can forward it to wherever it needs to go...In fact...if you just have.

I can send an event to EventGhost....and you can tell EventGhost to decide waht to do...it's pretty easy...its all drag and drop...i.e) For a call event...you would drag and drop...lets say...Pause XBMC...or...Turn Volume down...etc..very cutomizable...the main part is though me adding support for EventGhost.

Sure..you have to setup EventGhost then...but..its not that hard..and its completely configurable, and its free and has XBMC support out of the box I believe.

And once EventGhost has the event I send it...the posisbilites are pretty cool...it has full control over the PC, and if you have an automated house...(not that I do..but you could even turn the lights on etc...)

I'll also be adding stuff ...on Call End send an event to EventGhost...then you can tell EventGhost to ...press play for you...Smile

If you REALLY want..I can add an option to Pause on XBMC... like I orginally promised..But I think this approach covers you pretty well....no?

johoja Wrote:Well....not scrapping....different approach. There's no point for my app to do everything, when there's programs out there that already control every minute detail of xbmc...i.e) EventGhost. Also..the LESS my app does is better...as long as the Event is sent...the PC should handle propogating it to whereever it should go...the iPhone is afterall a small device limited by its power, etc. So adding 20 hosts to send events too, etc wouldn't be a good use of this app. Send one or two events to where they should go..i.e) Growl..or EventGhost.. and then Growl can forward it to wherever it needs to go...In fact...if you just have.

I can send an event to EventGhost....and you can tell EventGhost to decide waht to do...it's pretty easy...its all drag and drop...i.e) For a call event...you would drag and drop...lets say...Pause XBMC...or...Turn Volume down...etc..very cutomizable...the main part is though me adding support for EventGhost.

Sure..you have to setup EventGhost then...but..its not that hard..and its completely configurable, and its free and has XBMC support out of the box I believe.

And once EventGhost has the event I send it...the posisbilites are pretty cool...it has full control over the PC, and if you have an automated house...(not that I do..but you could even turn the lights on etc...)

I'll also be adding stuff ...on Call End send an event to EventGhost...then you can tell EventGhost to ...press play for you...Smile

If you REALLY want..I can add an option to Pause on XBMC... like I orginally promised..But I think this approach covers you pretty well....no?

Yes when it's explained like that it is a very good approach, even if it takes the extra time to setup eventghost.

Would it be possible for, say for example, IF music is playing ON call in THEN lower volume, and IF video is playing ON call in THEN pause. and the same for call end. etc. Do you think that would be a good idea?

At the end of the day, I think some sort of feature that allows video or music to be paused or lowered automatically during a call would be a major selling factor of your application.

- rickardkk - 2010-01-28

jackmeehan Wrote:Yes when it's explained like that it is a very good approach, even if it takes the extra time to setup eventghost.

Would it be possible for, say for example, IF music is playing ON call in THEN lower volume, and IF video is playing ON call in THEN pause. and the same for call end. etc. Do you think that would be a good idea?

At the end of the day, I think some sort of feature that allows video or music to be paused or lowered automatically during a call would be a major selling factor of your application.

Yes, receiving events from the XBMC EventServer or just using the XBMC HTTP API from within EventGhost.
Thank you johoja for taking this route!!!

- johoja - 2010-01-28

rickardkk Wrote:Yes, receiving events from the XBMC EventServer or just using the XBMC HTTP API from within EventGhost.
Thank you johoja for taking this route!!!

No problem...I'm trying to find some documentation on the EventGhost webserver....any idea where I can find it?

- johoja - 2010-01-28

johoja Wrote:No problem...I'm trying to find some documentation on the EventGhost webserver....any idea where I can find it?

Never mind..figured out..pretty simple...no documentation though..they should add something on their wiki.

Should be done with this later today. When I get an hour or two to work on it.

@johoja what about support for different media playing? Like I mentioned, pause for video playback, lower volume for audio playback etc. would that be possible?

- rickardkk - 2010-01-28

jackmeehan Wrote:@johoja what about support for different media playing? Like I mentioned, pause for video playback, lower volume for audio playback etc. would that be possible?

That's all possible with the EventGhost approach...

Oh I see, sorry I'm completely new to EventGhost.. In general, is it easy enough to set up?

- Cloaky - 2010-01-28

jackmeehan Wrote:Oh I see, sorry I'm completely new to EventGhost.. In general, is it easy enough to set up?

Yes it is, i downloaded it today and it seems pretty easy and very customizable.

- johoja - 2010-01-28

rickardkk Wrote:That's all possible with the EventGhost approach...

Maybe when I release the version with support you could do up a guide? I myself don't know how to do that in EventGhost.

- rickardkk - 2010-01-28

johoja Wrote:Maybe when I release the version with support you could do up a guide? I myself don't know how to do that in EventGhost.

In EventGhost you could have a macro triggered on incoming call pickup or just incoming call if you vould like the automation executed before picking up (with a timer to restore whatever action taken if you don't pickup.
The macro asks XBMC about what kind of media that is played (parse the playback status from the XBMC HTTP API). If video you could pause, if audio dim...or whatever.

Or you could keep the playback status broadcasted by the XBMC EventServer in memory inside EventGhost to decide what action to take on an incoming call.

You could even ask XBMC about the volume used (not that exact though as all music is mastered at diffrent levels) and just dim the volume if a threshold is reached. Or if you control the volume with an A/V Receiver you could ask the receiver (via RS-232) about the volume used.

You could also use EventGhost to send the notifications to XBMC instead of letting Notify Pro send them. You have more control and could do more condition based notification broadcasting (like depending on the time, where media is played etc).

If GPS could be integrated you could use your (and other family members iphones) as an "at home" indicator.

Examole: "Send SMS notification with text to main XBMC client only if my wife is not at home".

The options for automation of XBMC and your home are endless with this approach.

I've already spent alot of time to get all the above (plus a lot more with lights and automation of all electronics) working with Bluetooth. Never got it to work as I wanted. But with Notify Pro it will be easy!

rickardkk Wrote:In EventGhost you could have a macro triggered on incoming call pickup or just incoming call if you vould like the automation executed before picking up (with a timer to restore whatever action taken if you don't pickup.
The macro asks XBMC about what kind of media that is played (parse the playback status from the XBMC HTTP API).

Or you could keep the playback status broadcasted by the XBMC EventServer in memory inside EventGhost to decide what action to take on an incoming call.

You could even ask XBMC about the volume used (not that exact though as all music is mastered at diffrent levels) and just dim the volume if a threshold is reached. Or if you control the volume with an A/V Receiver you could ask the receiver (via RS-232) about the volume used.

You could also use EventGhost to send the notifications to XBMC instead of letting Notify Pro send them. You have more control and could do more condition based notification broadcasting (like depending on the time, where media is played etc).

If GPS could be integrated you could use your (and other family members iphones) as an "at home" indicator.

Examole: "Send SMS notification with text to main XBMC client only if my wife is not at home".

The options for automation of XBMC and your home are endless with this approach.
I'm liking the sound of this more and more. So (if ones home was set up this way) you could automitacally have the video you are watching paused, the lights turned back on, and even have the kettle switch on for a cup of tea when you get a call. Smile

I have the XBMC iphone app to control media etc. One of it's features is Wake on Lan. It doesn't, however, start XBMC automatically when woken. Is there any way to make XBMC run on a Wake on Lan boot only, ie not to run on every normal boot.

Could EventGhost help me out here?