Kodi Community Forum
Notify - iPhone Notification App for XBMC (send push notifications to XBMC) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Supplementary Tools for Kodi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=116)
+--- Thread: Notify - iPhone Notification App for XBMC (send push notifications to XBMC) (/showthread.php?tid=64545)

- stoli - 2010-01-06

johoja,

With all the various new notifications coming to the pro version, how much more of a load is that putting on the battery since it's a background app running 24/7? Might it be useful to add in a scheduler to have active times? Obviously I don't need notifications on my htpc at home when at the office... Or would that be as bad a drain to have to keep checking the system clock?

I've run into my share of cydia apps that can suck a battery dry in just a few hours and I would hate to see that happen here.

Thanks again for your work!

- sPOiDar - 2010-01-06

stoli Wrote:With all the various new notifications coming to the pro version, how much more of a load is that putting on the battery since it's a background app running 24/7? Might it be useful to add in a scheduler to have active times? Obviously I don't need notifications on my htpc at home when at the office...

It uses mobilesubstrate, so it (likely - I haven't seen the source) just extends certain core classes with additional functionality. Doing it this way means there is minimal battery impact, since the code is only run when an event occurs. Also, johoja has said he will include an SBSettings toggle, so you can easily turn it on and off at will.

- stoli - 2010-01-06

sPOiDar Wrote:It uses mobilesubstrate, so it (likely - I haven't seen the source) just extends certain core classes with additional functionality. Doing it this way means there is minimal battery impact, since the code is only run when an event occurs. Also, johoja has said he will include an SBSettings toggle, so you can easily turn it on and off at will.

Thanks for the info - I have little knowledge of how the mobilesubsrate works; actually none until your post. Wink If it only runs when the notifications come in, I can't see it really being an issue.

Thanks for the quick lesson.

- johoja - 2010-01-07

stoli Wrote:Thanks for the info - I have little knowledge of how the mobilesubsrate works; actually none until your post. Wink If it only runs when the notifications come in, I can't see it really being an issue.

Thanks for the quick lesson.

It does use mobilesubstrate so there is no separate process, and only gets triggered when a notification actually happens. The good thing about this is that it uses less memory, etc. But if Notify crashes then it'll put SpringBoard into SafeMode. Which is what was happning to a lot of people in Notify 1.0, etc.

The battery sucking part would be when it acutally sends notifications when you don't need them, a schedule is an idea, but I probably won't implement that, as I'm going to be doing a SBSettings Toggle, and an option in Notify to ONLY send when on WiFi.

The only thing I don't like about the WiFi option is if your phone is not docked, and in standby, the WiFi is also in standby, so You'll never get the notification.

Either way if you do notice it crashing, and or sucking up battery let me know. I'm doing my best to re-write it as best as possible currently. Smile

- valkur - 2010-01-09

Hello, Great little app!

Im running XBMC on windows, i have this app going through dyndns so that I dont have to be on wifi or keep the wifi on while im not using the phone.

Display picture works with some people but not all, in particular my gf does not show for txt or calls, but other people do. The only difference I can think of is that her picture was a full sized pic i assigned to her contact, but others have been loaded in from facebook via Fex.

Happy to help if you need any windows testing, and would be happy to buy the app for a buck or so when it comes out of beta, great work!

XBMC 9.1 on XP SP3
Notify 1.5
iPhone OS 3.1.2

- johoja - 2010-01-09

valkur Wrote:Hello, Great little app!

Im running XBMC on windows, i have this app going through dyndns so that I dont have to be on wifi or keep the wifi on while im not using the phone.

Display picture works with some people but not all, in particular my gf does not show for txt or calls, but other people do. The only difference I can think of is that her picture was a full sized pic i assigned to her contact, but others have been loaded in from facebook via Fex.

Happy to help if you need any windows testing, and would be happy to buy the app for a buck or so when it comes out of beta, great work!

XBMC 9.1 on XP SP3
Notify 1.5
iPhone OS 3.1.2

Could you install syslog, and send me the /var/log/syslog pls from the phone...? After receiving a that works, and one that doesn't work.

Also after receiving a call that doesn't work...goto your XBMC userdata folder. for me its :

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\cache\, there should be a contact.jpg there, check to see if you can open the picture.....

Yeah, the new version is coming along Smile

- valkur - 2010-01-09

The problem is definetly to do with resizing the contact pic. I resized the GFs so that the whole picture was viewable and it worked fine, and if I sent a txt from my work phone it worked, so then I edited the pic for my contact from my work phone, Zoomed in a bit so the border of the picture was not viewable, sent another pic and it failed.

The picture in the Cache on windows was not usable either, syslog says it worked though:

Quote:Jan 8 22:16:37 Trevors-iPhone SpringBoard[31]: -------------Notify: SMS Notification
Jan 8 22:16:37 Trevors-iPhone SpringBoard[31]: number: +1 (403) 609-xxxx
Jan 8 22:16:37 Trevors-iPhone SpringBoard[31]: LI:SMS: Loading SMS data...
Jan 8 22:16:37 Trevors-iPhone SpringBoard[31]: text: Test
Jan 8 22:16:37 Trevors-iPhone SpringBoard[31]: preSendXbmc
Jan 8 22:16:37 Trevors-iPhone SpringBoard[31]: preSendXbmc network good
Jan 8 22:16:37 Trevors-iPhone SpringBoard[31]: postToXbmc
Jan 8 22:16:37 Trevors-iPhone SpringBoard[31]: --------- Request submitted ---------
Jan 8 22:16:38 Trevors-iPhone SpringBoard[31]: Upload contact picture, now post Notification
Jan 8 22:16:38 Trevors-iPhone SpringBoard[31]: Done with posting to xbmc deallocating

- johoja - 2010-01-09

valkur Wrote:The problem is definetly to do with resizing the contact pic. I resized the GFs so that the whole picture was viewable and it worked fine, and if I sent a txt from my work phone it worked, so then I edited the pic for my contact from my work phone, Zoomed in a bit so the border of the picture was not viewable, sent another pic and it failed.

The picture in the Cache on windows was not usable either, syslog says it worked though:

Interesting. I'll have to take a look on my side. How did you resize the pic? I want to try and reproduce it.

Where was the original pic from?

- valkur - 2010-01-10

The original picture was a digital camera pic synced from iPhoto to the iPhone. When setting it as the contact pic, I had zoomed in a bit on the contact.

- rflores2323 - 2010-01-12

what does this app do? also I cant find it on cydia.

- johoja - 2010-01-12

rflores2323 Wrote:what does this app do? also I cant find it on cydia.

I'ts called Notify, its on the BigBoss repo....It will send notifications to your xbmc machine when you have an incoming call, or sms.

- rflores2323 - 2010-01-12

any screen shots?

- johoja - 2010-01-12

rflores2323 Wrote:any screen shots?

Not really, much else I can say....you get an SMS or a Call ....on XBMC you'll get a notification on screen of the event happening.

The event looks like an XBMC Notification, which is a part of the XBMC HTTP API.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=45613

- johoja - 2010-01-20

If anyone is intrested in testing out Notify Pro pls let me know by pm or replying here, You can see the change log on the first page.

I've added Growl/GNTP notification support as well.

- hotlobster - 2010-01-20

Hi Johoa

I would be pleased to test notify pro here.

Regards