Kodi Community Forum
Hacking the Boxee Box to run XBMC? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Hacking the Boxee Box to run XBMC? (/showthread.php?tid=64578)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

- htpc guy - 2010-11-25

NoPantsJim Wrote:I pray that there is, here's my current Amazon review:

http://www.amazon.com/review/R2X7VZM0QBJH21/ref=cm_cr_pr_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B0038JE07O&nodeID=&tag=&linkCode=

Sweet Lord, I didn't know it was that bad. Why would they have released it in its current state? They should have delayed (again) and put something decent out there.

- NoPantsJim - 2010-11-25

htpc guy Wrote:Sweet Lord, I didn't know it was that bad. Why would they have released it in its current state? They should have delayed (again) and put something decent out there.

I'll reiterate what I said before: I held back in that review.

- Geeba - 2010-11-25

prae5 Wrote:They did - they donated two to the team. They were put into a prize draw during the DevCon. From memory theuni and elupus won them.

Not sure if they have been sent out yet though, nor any promises they will work on porting xbmc on them.

Seems a shame that the big cheese didn't get one.... although I dare say theuni and elupus will get XBMC under way! LOL! Laugh

- snelvuur - 2010-11-25

bought one too, assuming at some point it will run xbmc. Thought it would be nice in the meantime for my gf to watch on one of the apps. Lets rephrase:

Click -> apps -> home button -> apps -> down button -> right, right, right -> repositories -> select repository -> select app

Thats just *wrong* and then only to find out its not streaming but downloading a big chunck, playing it and then downloading another chunk. (but this could be the app ofcourse)

I think if they want any form of sales on the box it should run xbmc as it does on our regular htpc pc.

Ow and big blueray files you can forget about those too..

- watzen - 2010-11-25

Just to be clear to those that think boxee should make it easier to get xbmc onto it. I don't think that their plan is to make money off the box(I even read in some interview that they give the software to dlink for free). The plan for them with the boxee box is to get a large user base.... of boxee, not xbmc. And if everyone is putting xbmc on their boxee's then all fails...

- Hannes The Hun - 2010-11-25

yeah, so that makes sense. NOT.

- BAG_Ass - 2010-11-25

NoPantsJim
sorry men, i`m russian and not good english speaking, but if i can write same review in russian and boxee team can understand that, they kill temself to wall. Hardware 4+ (all screw duzzing fun) but soft - -10. Boxee - manual how to make full shit from sweety.
can u add my 2 cents to ur review - "It is only little part of boxee software bugs. Boxee team have perverted conception of confort"

HwyXingFrog
i will buy 4 too, but with this soft - i`ll sell one.

- tennisbgc - 2010-11-26

looks like it already got a bug fix http://blog.boxee.tv/2010/11/25/thanks-giving-bug-fixing/ sounds like they got bd-iso working better(not sure if xbmc even supports that?)

- BAG_Ass - 2010-11-26

tennisbgc
a little late message - all things happen on 1.0.1

- TraffikD - 2010-11-27

Hannes The Hun Wrote:yeah, so that makes sense. NOT.

Actually it does. Boxee's goal is to monetize through content providers. If nobody is using their software then there is no motivation for content providers to make a deal with them.

- CrashX - 2010-11-27

NoPantsJim Wrote:I pray that there is, here's my current Amazon review:

http://www.amazon.com/review/R2X7VZM0QBJH21/ref=cm_cr_pr_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B0038JE07O&nodeID=&tag=&linkCode=

You review doesn't really contribute anything at all. If you want something done, you can email the CEO directly with the issues that you are having which which are being fixed one by one. Read the avs forum. Have you updated the latest boxee update ?

When was the last time CEO helped customers with their issues ?

Currently the latest firmware does disable telnet though to Boxee Box. We now have Intel GPL Source code.

- misterpink - 2010-11-27

CrashX Wrote:When was the last time CEO helped customers with their issues ?

That kind of says it all doesn't it?

I don't know about anyone else, but I'd prefer to spend $200 on a product that doesn't require me to be personally emailing the CEO in order for it to function.

I think people actually enjoyed upgrading to Vista more than they've enjoyed the boxee box experience.

- NoPantsJim - 2010-11-27

CrashX Wrote:You review doesn't really contribute anything at all. If you want something done, you can email the CEO directly with the issues that you are having which which are being fixed one by one. Read the avs forum. Have you updated the latest boxee update?

My review doesn't have to contribute anything; it's a review. If someone buys a microwave that's a total piece of garbage and reviews it as such, are they obligated to in some way help the manufacturer improve the microwave?

CrashX Wrote:When was the last time CEO helped customers with their issues?

Using the term CEO is really a stretch here. Yeah I get it that he's in charge of Boxee, but it's not like he's Steve Jobs or Warren Buffett.

- Geeba - 2010-11-28

NoPantsJim Wrote:Using the term CEO is really a stretch here. Yeah I get it that he's in charge of Boxee, but it's not like he's Steve Jobs or Warren Buffett.

True but everyone has to start somewhere... Jobs used to solder components to hand drawn and etched boards in Woz's Garage.

I think its good that Avner replies personally to people in emails and forums,

- tsella - 2010-11-28

ouch guys. some of the commentary here is nasty, and for no reason.

at any rate, I do want to chime in to this discussion. when we started the port to embedded devices, we certainly wanted to allow for xbmc to run on it, we said so in many occasions.

the reality of it is that premium content providers are not as enthusiast as we are about "running arbitrary code". so the bottom line is that we needed to make changes to make them happy with the platform, and at the end of the day cater for more users - those who care about the content, and not those necessarily that care about running 3rd party apps on on.

you can see this same situation with Android, this sums it up pretty well.