Kodi Community Forum
Hacking the Boxee Box to run XBMC? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Hacking the Boxee Box to run XBMC? (/showthread.php?tid=64578)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

- mcborzu - 2010-12-01

I was curious even if XBMC can get on the Boxee Box is the hardware strong enough to run our skins?

- NoPantsJim - 2010-12-01

mcborzu Wrote:I was curious even if XBMC can get on the Boxee Box is the hardware strong enough to run our skins?

What I'm kind of hoping is that any XBMC solution offloads as much as possible onto either the SD card slot or networked storage. Keeping skins on networked storage and caching as needed would be amazing as I run a few XBMC installs from a central Drobo FS.

- tennisbgc - 2010-12-01

mcborzu Wrote:I was curious even if XBMC can get on the Boxee Box is the hardware strong enough to run our skins?
I think if the atv can handle xbmc then boxee box will definitly be able to handle it.

- cbrunhaver - 2010-12-01

I know they have said that the GPU is same as the GMA500 (PowerVR SGX535) but I haven't seen any mention of the video decoded.

Has anyone heard anything about a new GMA500 / PowerVR SGX535 driver being made available? http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24663

Anyway, it sounds like it is a hoss in the video decode (60+ Mb high prifile h.264 support) but my guess is that it will be lacking in the fill rate department - the reason for the simplified boxee skin.

-Chris

- davilla - 2010-12-01

cbrunhaver Wrote:I know they have said that the GPU is same as the GMA500 (PowerVR SGX535) but I haven't seen any mention of the video decoded.

Has anyone heard anything about a new GMA500 / PowerVR SGX535 driver being made available? http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24663

Anyway, it sounds like it is a hoss in the video decode (60+ Mb high prifile h.264 support) but my guess is that it will be lacking in the fill rate department - the reason for the simplified boxee skin.

-Chris

boxee box can handle killa, nuf said Smile

- NoPantsJim - 2010-12-01

davilla Wrote:boxee box can handle killa, nuf said Smile

Is killa a skin I'm not aware of?

- poofyhairguy - 2010-12-01

NoPantsJim Wrote:Is killa a skin I'm not aware of?

http://www.avforums.com/forums/streamers-network-media-players/1208201-what-killa-sample.html

Quote:Killa sample is a particularly demanding high definition encoded file often used to test a media player / software. "1080p, 33.1 Mbps 5.1 profile 16 ref frames video sequence"

Killa is nothing compared to one of my 3D full SBS files though...

- bigdog66 - 2010-12-01

NoPantsJim Wrote:What I'm kind of hoping is that any XBMC solution offloads as much as possible onto either the SD card slot or networked storage. Keeping skins on networked storage and caching as needed would be amazing as I run a few XBMC installs from a central Drobo FS.

you have that big money.......can I hold a little for you....lol

- Bahndit - 2010-12-01

dan1son Wrote:Apple and iTunes don't do anything more with ripping your own movies than anyone else. Their intention is for you to BUY movies FROM iTunes and then play them back on your devices (hopefully Apple products). iTunes isn't capable of ripping a movie anymore than XBMC. It WILL allow you to rip a music CD, but that's been legal all along.

I think you're misunderstanding what I was trying to say. I understand that apple has done nothing with ripping movies. I was describing their success in the music market and how that model should be followed in the video market. Again, I feel that a large part of their success with the iPod came from helping customers transition from physical to digital media. I also feel that another important part of their success was the implementation of a 'library' mode and presentation of that 'library' through good hardware/UI. Of course the big problem with following this model in the movie market is the legality of ripping DVD's. That said i still feel that the product that can best facilitate this transition from physical to digital will be come out on top.

- FFFFFFUUUUUUUUU - 2010-12-01

topfs2 Wrote:What they should have though is a keycommand to allow anyone to install another OS from say a SD, or boot from SD. Much like the Android development phones have had, the preinstalled OS is considered secure and should be unrootable but anyone is free to install a new one.

I would have thought that as long as Boxee Box has the ability to load and install an .iso over the net or from a USB memory stick, then there will always be a way to install any alternate OS on the Boxee Box, such as XBMC. The XBMC developers would just need to build an appropriate XBMC .iso for BB, then the user goes into the "Upgrade firmware" menu and you're golden.

- BAG_Ass - 2010-12-01

FFFFFFUUUUUUUUU
if it is so simply, we watch xbmc already. Get back to earth.

- teaguecl - 2010-12-01

BAG_Ass Wrote:FFFFFFUUUUUUUUU
if it is so simply, we watch xbmc already. Get back to earth.
No need to insult him, he's actually correct. Using the existing Boxee Box Bootloader (say that three times fast) is probably the first thing to try. The only problem is that "build an appropriate XBMC .iso for BB" is likely non-trivial. It could be obfuscated or encrypted or signed or any number of other things.
Has anyone evaluated the upgrade .iso files Boxee has published?

- Hannes The Hun - 2010-12-01

bag_ass, if you can't contribute anything productive to this discussion, just don't contribute anything anymore here. please.

@teaguecl the boxee update binaries are being evaluated and dissected. as I said before, Q1 2011 we might have something on our hands, but I don't think it will happen before year's end.

@FFUUwhatever... there's already a lot of information in this thread regarding the need for a signed upgrade binary and bootloader. this is exactly the same situation as with e.g. certain android smartphones where you also can't just install any ROM that you find on the internet. it's called protection. and the boxee box, while sharing some hardware, is in no way a simple PC with BIOS where you can install anything on, let's say windows 7. please inform yourself.

- BAG_Ass - 2010-12-01

teaguecl
Hannes The Hun
guys! lets make simply operation - make xbmc package for sd-card with full xbmc-on-sd image (image where all that xbmc need will be only on sd). I think there is no seriously problem. After it kill boxee process and start xbmc from sd. I think there is no need to post url to boxeeboxwiki page to have access to boxeebox inside. And i`m ready to be first who try it on the box.
And u said iso and contribute. Some thing in linux so simply, but some so hard.
PS i growed up in Advices Country (Soviet Union) Soviet = Advice and i know about advices a little more than u.

- misterpink - 2010-12-01

BAG_Ass Wrote:Some thing in linux so simply, but some so hard.

thats what she said