Kodi Community Forum
Hacking the Boxee Box to run XBMC? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Hacking the Boxee Box to run XBMC? (/showthread.php?tid=64578)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

- Hannes The Hun - 2010-12-01

misterpink Wrote:thats what she said

that made my day! Laugh

- darkscout - 2010-12-02

BAG_Ass Wrote:teaguecl
Hannes The Hun
guys! lets make simply operation - make xbmc package for sd-card with full xbmc-on-sd image (image where all that xbmc need will be only on sd). I think there is no seriously problem. After it kill boxee process and start xbmc from sd. I think there is no need to post url to boxeeboxwiki page to have access to boxeebox inside. And i`m ready to be first who try it on the box.
And u said iso and contribute. Some thing in linux so simply, but some so hard.
PS i growed up in Advices Country (Soviet Union) Soviet = Advice and i know about advices a little more than u.

Unfortunately, you don't know English so I'm really having a hard time picking up on what you said.

And if you know so much about the devices, could you please point us to where we can download the binary the 'simple solution'?

- BAG_Ass - 2010-12-02

darkscout
i don`t know so much about device - i just read some sites about box and box specs and try to say that it is not so simply to put xbmc to box and so hard make xbmc bootable as think some people here.

- Hannes The Hun - 2010-12-02

bag_ass, I'll try and make it simple for you: you don't know shit, and you continue to prove it.

this discussion leads us exactly fucking NOWHERE as long as the groundwork ain't done by the awesome guys who maintain the unofficial boxee wiki http://boxeeboxwiki.org/wiki/Main_Page and contribute to the groundwork.

we can discuss the completely gone wrong comparison to the xbox360 or the non-understandable stuff that bag_ass is throwing in here in his best rasputin manner, or we can have a substantial discussion about getting XBMC on the boxee box, based on facts and the work that is done by the community and people that *really* know about what they're doing. I'm tired of this.

- voip-ninja - 2010-12-02

BAG_Ass Wrote:teaguecl
Hannes The Hun
guys! lets make simply operation - make xbmc package for sd-card with full xbmc-on-sd image (image where all that xbmc need will be only on sd). I think there is no seriously problem. After it kill boxee process and start xbmc from sd. I think there is no need to post url to boxeeboxwiki page to have access to boxeebox inside. And i`m ready to be first who try it on the box.
And u said iso and contribute. Some thing in linux so simply, but some so hard.
PS i growed up in Advices Country (Soviet Union) Soviet = Advice and i know about advices a little more than u.

If it is so simple why don't you do it already?

The reality is that there's nothing simple about it. The Boxee hardware is almost certainly checking signatures on the ISO image that it loads, so you can forget about simple hackery getting the XBMC Live ISO image to boot off of SD card or thumb drive.

If someone unpacked the Boxee ISO file, found some easy shit to fake out then they already would have built a custom ISO that tries to boot a stripped down vanilla Linux (not even XBMC Live)... and no one has been able to do that and I'm sure there are many programmers/hobbyists out there who have been trying.

It will probably be done eventually, but look at how long it has taken to hack other boxes and you will see why three weeks after Boxee Box is out noone has done this yet (even showed off the Boxee botting a different image file).

- Hannes The Hun - 2010-12-02

in soviet russia, boxee hacks you!

- Philmatic - 2010-12-02

Not to mention the Boxee ISO format is not a standard ISO image... it's a SquashFS filesystem.

- topfs2 - 2010-12-02

Hannes The Hun Wrote:in soviet russia, boxee hacks you!

Haha..

Philmatic Wrote:Not to mention the Boxee ISO format is not a standard ISO image... it's a SquashFS filesystem.

I would say that makes sense, afaik this is used on most embedded stuff.

Would be interesting though if its signed or anything, because if its just an unsigned SquashFS I would assume you can make a new one quite simple. (I highly doubt its unsigned though)

- BAG_Ass - 2010-12-02

voip-ninja
finaly, found one else who can explain, that it is not so simply as create iso with xbmc and load it to bb.
thanks. may be they listen to u.
topfs2
it is realy signed and checked before installing. and one more it is update image - not full.

- CrashX - 2010-12-03

topfs2 Wrote:Haha..

I would say that makes sense, afaik this is used on most embedded stuff.

Would be interesting though if its signed or anything, because if its just an unsigned SquashFS I would assume you can make a new one quite simple. (I highly doubt its unsigned though)

http://boxeeboxwiki.org/wiki/Update

- waverz - 2010-12-04

Just got a Boxee Box yesterday and the software really blows compared to XBMC IMO. I think I will hang onto it at least until the return date, if no progress toward porting XBMC on it is done by then I guess I will just build a little HTPC or get another Acer Revo.

- poofyhairguy - 2010-12-04

Laugh

- bigdog66 - 2010-12-04

uhhh....have you been under a rock....lol

- waverz - 2010-12-04

bigdog66 Wrote:uhhh....have you been under a rock....lol

Whaddya mean? Did I miss something?

- BAG_Ass - 2010-12-04

waverz
nothing
just another one dissatisfied.