Kodi Community Forum
Hacking the Boxee Box to run XBMC? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Hacking the Boxee Box to run XBMC? (/showthread.php?tid=64578)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

- waldo22 - 2010-12-09

xbmzD Wrote:... but considering their current attitude towards third party software etc.
I've lost my interest in "supporting" them)

I really don't think this is "their" attitude.

It's the attitude of the content providers that that have to placate in order to deliver meaningful content.

I imagine it probably makes the Boxee guys sick having to do this.

-Wes

- xbmzD - 2010-12-09

Well I guess you are right waldo, but still -
I'm not sure if buying it now, means supporting the boxee team in building an open platform we'd be happy with...

- voip-ninja - 2010-12-09

xbmzD Wrote:I second that ... I guess Boxee's failure is zotac's win
Which zbox version are you going for instead, Geeba?

Still, it's a shame - I was really looking forward to poking around with boxee's software/hardware
(i even got so far as being able to boot into boxees busybox from the iso file, via qemu ^^
... but considering their current attitude towards third party software etc.

Well Boxee can bitstream DTS-MA (with glitches that will hopefully soon be fixed) and can decode THD with promised bitstream for that in the future.

If there was a ~$200 XBMC box that could do HD audio I would be there already amigos! Nod

- mark77 - 2010-12-10

Still, it's a shame - I was really looking forward to poking around with boxee's software/hardware
(i even got so far as being able to boot into boxees busybox from the iso file, via qemu ^^
... but considering their current attitude towards third party software etc.

Would you mind sharing that information bout how you did it? Might be useful for others like me who still like to see third party software on the box Smile

- Geeba - 2010-12-10

I went for the ZBOXHD-ID11 - which has the 510 Atom CPU and the next gen ION - has a good quality feel about it, very nicely made too.

Openelec.tv work out of the box too. Big Grin

- strick - 2010-12-10

I'm in the same boat as many of you.
Returned my boxee box and I'm now waiting for my Zbox HD-ND22 Big Grin with a 30gb ssd.
Just can't decide if I should put windows or linux on it.

I would definitly keep my bbox if it was possible to put XBMC on it.

- Phat Phreddy - 2010-12-11

Philmatic Wrote:For no reason? Really? Wow, talk about backpedaling. You guys are speeding the wrong side of the highway!

Question asked at Boxee Blog

Answer by Avner:

Direct link to comment in question: http://gdgt.com/discuss/im-taking-questions-about-boxee-and-the-6tx/#1hb2

Don't forget you XBMC roots, the last thing you want is the enthusiasts who put you where you are now to ruin you. I don't see how allowing XBMC to run off of an SD card or flash drive jeopardizes any security you have implemented in your custom Linux build, if XBMC were to run off of bootable media, it would completely side step Boxee and not damage the integrity of the chain of trust you have implemented to keep things like Hulu+ and Netflix safe.

Was this quote purposefully scrubbed from the record ??

I cant see it on that page..

voip-ninja Wrote:I think the strategy is to make money. They make zero dollars on the hardware, so selling 100K Boxee boxes that will be used as an 'XBMC box' isn't going to do anything for them.

An active hacking community comes up with many more ways to use the product, and ingenious ideas and code, far beyond what the initial product often is..

Look at the hackable item user communities.. Kinect etc.. and the amazing stuff that comes out of that which can be picked through and recycled back into boxee if they wish..

Its a win win.. Or rather its a no lose bet ?? DLink sell more boxes, Boxee gets a new fanbase, code pool, idea generator.

- teaguecl - 2010-12-11

Phat Phreddy Wrote:Its a win win.. Or rather its a no lose bet ?? DLink sell more boxes, Boxee gets a new fanbase, code pool, idea generator.
I disagree. A large hacker base is good for D-Link, since it moves more boxes. It's bad for Boxee, since those hackers are not using their software and expanding their audience, and they are not using premium content with Boxee partners. An active community developing apps for Boxee would be great for them - but a lot of sales of boxes converted to XBMC is not.

- topfs2 - 2010-12-11

teaguecl Wrote:I disagree. A large hacker base is good for D-Link, since it moves more boxes. It's bad for Boxee, since those hackers are not using their software and expanding their audience, and they are not using premium content with Boxee partners. An active community developing apps for Boxee would be great for them - but a lot of sales of boxes converted to XBMC is not.

The more boxes out there the more word of mouth do they have, the more word of mouth the more buy the box for the boxee experience. You can twist this however you want.

teaguecl Wrote:I disagree. A large hacker base is good for D-Link, since it moves more boxes. It's bad for Boxee, since those hackers are not using their software and expanding their audience, and they are not using premium content with Boxee partners. An active community developing apps for Boxee would be great for them - but a lot of sales of boxes converted to XBMC is not.

But your making 2 leaps there.. one that any user that bought it for hacking would be a boxee user.. I say thats clearly not the case, people would buy it because it can be hacked, people who wouldnt be boxee users.. Then also maybe some or many decide all the hacking is a hassle, and they like it or can live with it.. Thats EXTRA boxee users..

Secondly the buzz around the product.. The boxee shifts xxx hundred 1000 units.. Boxee platform great for xxxx word of mouth.. Buzz and it being a 'hot item' is a huge deal on a product like this.. for every 1 person who buys it and hacks it, the buzz spreads to others, family and tech dullards who jump on board..

And thats totally skipping the whole 'passionate coders on board' thing where whole new avenues get opened up, pursued, and if they become popular you know its not a niche need and can be brought into the main project.. The benefit of active coders to a codebase and project like this cannot be overstated.

The way I see it is its a win one side dont lose the other bet at worst.

- xbmzD - 2010-12-11

mark77 Wrote:Would you mind sharing that information bout how you did it? Might be useful for others like me who still like to see third party software on the box Smile

@mark77: Here you are ^^
http://xbmzd.blogspot.com/2010/12/booting-boxee-box-using-qemu.html

But I guess it isn't too helpful, as I only got it to boot using a different kernel that loads harddrives ... well maybe someone is able to figure out something else Wink

- BAG_Ass - 2010-12-11

Guys! do somebody compile xbmc for boxeebox to run it from flash-drive to test?

- Hannes The Hun - 2010-12-11

ATM there is no possibility to run ANYTHING from flashdrive on a boxee box so please just shut up

- BAG_Ass - 2010-12-11

Hannes The Hun
from what did u decide that?