Kodi Community Forum
Hacking the Boxee Box to run XBMC? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Hacking the Boxee Box to run XBMC? (/showthread.php?tid=64578)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

- ringgh0st - 2010-10-23

Hannes The Hun Wrote:defected07, we already have a thread about this netbox. I use this exact device as an HTPC (XBMCbuntu) and love it, but as you mentioned you have to add RAM, HDD, and a remote solution, so the price is somewhat relativised, esp. if you want to go the full route and add a small SSD as I did. also keep in mind that these Ion boxes seldom work out-of-the-box even with newest XBMClive builds so you need at least a bit of understanding with linux.

boxee is some kind of instant-on XBMC experience, but we'll have to see how it works out when the first customers get their boxes. I still don't like the whole social networking stuff, and I absolutely like to have full customizable control over my XBMC experience. also in the meantime there's some serious competition going on in this media box business, esp. given the fact that Google TV goes to market at the same time and might have similar playback capabilities, at least when there's an app for that (and it might well be an XBMC port *winkwink*)

I wish these guys all the luck in the world, but they're a littlebit late on the market, given the problems with the tegra2 chipset and the complete hardware switch to the intel CE4100. and speaking from a (german) customer perspective, the magic border is 199€ for such a device. 229 might already be too much for a lot of customers, given that similar (more simple, granted) realtek- or sigma-based players retail for starting around 100€. finally, the advantage of having a fully connected device with library mode and all the additional features is not obvious to joe average.

199 euro will be the price after the first weeks. im sure. its the usual way when you introduce a stunning new product. all early adopters will pay more to get it asap Wink

also i think there will be a xbmc port soon after the release because boxee iss xbmc Wink

- Robotica - 2010-10-23

boxee box already is released in US and UK but still no stories about XBMC running on it..

- Hannes The Hun - 2010-10-23

of course not, what are you thinking? first somebody capable needs to get his hands on it, then one has to check if/how there's access to the flash, what kind of linux kernel runs underneath the boxee app, how the hardware can be accessed (remember we need hardware openGL and decoding acceleration) etc etc

this will be a task maybe not for weeks but for months to get a fully usable XBMC image onto the box, not unlike the process it took some years ago to get XBMC onto the xbox.

p.s. it's not the 10th of november and there's not even real reviews available from respected sources http://blog.boxee.tv/

- osirisjem - 2010-10-27

defected07 Wrote:Speaking of ION boxes, this is pretty nice:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856119016

Foxconn NT-330i - $199, just add memory and HDD.

and add a remote.

- Geeba - 2010-10-27

Hmmm - I cant believe the devs havent had a good look over this device somehow.... they must be on first term names with Avner Wink

- pike - 2010-10-27

@ Geeba

Believe it

- Geeba - 2010-10-27

Pike - you could be under NDA?

Big Grin

- pike - 2010-10-27

I believe I wrote in another thread or maybe earlier in this thread:

We (Team XBMC) don't have more information than you, the average forum user.
None of us have Boxee Box'es in our possession.

Thus it's kind of hard to know when and if XBMC will run on this hardware!

- ringgh0st - 2010-10-27

pike Wrote:I believe I wrote in another thread or maybe earlier in this thread:

We (Team XBMC) don't have more information than you, the average forum user.
None of us have Boxee Box'es in our possession.

Thus it's kind of hard to know when and if XBMC will run on this hardware!
but pike. boxee IS XBMC isnt it? are hugh differences between both core-systems?

i've seen boxee box in action @ IFA Berlin and i was really impressed about the design the smoothness/ fram-rates of HD-vids and of coz this little nice dualmode remote.

- Geeba - 2010-10-27

I'll keep dreaming and waiting till XBMC returns to an appliance... hopefully Boxee or Logitech revue will be it.... Smile

You'd of thought Avner would of gifted the team a Boxee to play with eh!

Hang on in there Xbox! your not going anywhere yet! LOL! Big Grin

- topfs2 - 2010-10-27

ringgh0st Wrote:but pike. boxee IS XBMC isnt it? are hugh differences between both core-systems?

I'm gonna do a likeness here to explain, just because a phone is shipped with android as an operating system (which is open and available for use from anyone) does not mean you as a user can install another android version.

Same applies for the boxee box, just because its based on xbmc does not mean xbmc will work... its said that they will try to make it so but no garantues and we just plain don't know at the moment.

- poofyhairguy - 2010-10-27

ringgh0st Wrote:but pike. boxee IS XBMC isnt it? are hugh differences between both core-systems?

No not really.

But until a Boxee Box hits someone's hands we don't know how much of their open source soul Boxee sold to get this to work. I mean, last minute they had to change away from the Nvidia platform and that means compromise because they were desperate.

Deep down inside the Boxee Box there might be some closed source driver that is licensed by Boxee but can't be used (legally) by XBMC. We don't know until a developer gets one.

Personally I am nervous about how quiet the Boxee people are about their box. You figure if everything was XBMC friendly they would be beating the drum around here to get more pre-orders.

The fact that people high up in XBMC don't know what's happening, combined with the fact that Boxee developers traditionally has done a good job of staying in touch with XBMC developers, tells me that something evil is probably making that Boxee box work. I would love to be wrong about that though....

- AddictedToMetal - 2010-11-10

This is disappointing. (for those of us who use .mkv and wanna buy the box 'till we can hack it) http://forums.boxee.tv/showpost.php?p=94910&postcount=2

judgeschambers Wrote:Even though these machine specs above will allow a wide range of HD file playback, Boxee itself currently supports ONLY: GPU acceleration of HD H264 .mp4 files, Flash, Silverlight (netflix) and movenetworks. Any other video file containers like MKV, MOV, AVI etc will not currently trigger GPU acceleration if played with Boxee. If they are another container (MKV, MOV, WMV, AVI) and are 720P or 1080p format, they will lag in boxee unless you have a bad ass dual or quad core CPU to take up the slack!

- pike - 2010-11-10

@ AddictedToMetal

I got no way to confirm this (for myself), but I doubt this is true, also see how old that post you're quoting is

- AddictedToMetal - 2010-11-10

pike Wrote:@ AddictedToMetal

I got no way to confirm this (for myself), but I doubt this is true, also see how old that post you're quoting is

Yeah but the post was edited. "Last edited by judgeschambers; August 23rd, 2010 at 10:40 PM. Reason: Boxee's GPU acceleration file type requirements" So, while still slightly old, new enough to be current. I haven't seen anything contrary on the Boxee forums yet. Sad