Kodi Community Forum
XBMC CrystalHD branch on a USB stick - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: XBMC CrystalHD branch on a USB stick (/showthread.php?tid=64634)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

- Jaken - 2010-01-01

grey Wrote:hey guys, can someone upload a video on youtube with how smooth does appletv play 1080p using Broadcom Crystal HD module?

thanks

if the video is works with crystalhd, then you will only get a sample of the movie? whats the point of that

- BritBloke - 2010-01-02

Jaken Wrote:if the video is works with crystalhd, then you will only get a sample of the movie? whats the point of that
He probably just wants to see it in action, rather than a static image similar to the post on XBMC main site. I'd like to see it too, and maybe throw the killa sample on it too to see how well it handles that.

- A Milton - 2010-01-02

BritBloke Wrote:He probably just wants to see it in action, rather than a static image similar to the post on XBMC main site. I'd like to see it too, and maybe throw the killa sample on it too to see how well it handles that.

It doesn't handle the killa sample very well. And that's not a problem since (almost) no real world media has that high bitrates or that many reference frames.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=462149&highlight=killa#post462149

A quick search would have answered your question.

As for a youtube video of xbmc playing the material... I'm not sure what good it would do. It's not like youtube-quality would let you notice any flaws anyway.

It looks exactly like HD video playing Smile

- dan1son - 2010-01-02

grey Wrote:hey guys, can someone upload a video on youtube with how smooth does appletv play 1080p using Broadcom Crystal HD module?

thanks

It plays it back perfectly smooth... As if it was being played from a disk. No real point in showing it playback 1080p video in a low-res flash video Smile

The screenshots showing 1080p playback with cpu usage are more revealing.

- Jaken - 2010-01-02

BritBloke Wrote:He probably just wants to see it in action, rather than a static image similar to the post on XBMC main site. I'd like to see it too, and maybe throw the killa sample on it too to see how well it handles that.

you are probably right. Smile but my guess is that most systems that require a crystalhd card for playback of 1080p wont be able to record the playback.

what i can say is a successful hd playback stutter for a few seconds then plays perfectly. Time skipping is kind of hard on the ATV. It might be better on a more powerful device.

- nerpissad - 2010-01-02

I'm still using cck197's USB version he posted a while back. a few days ago my broadcom card finally arrived and I immediately put it into my aTV. when I try to playback any HD media, the CPU usage is still 100%.
I tried lspci to see if I could find info on whether the card is correctly installed and it says bradcom card unknown device (something along those lines).
how can I exactly determine if the card is actually working?
fortunately I have another card coming my way if this one's really broken...

thanks again for all the hard work that has been done on this!

- terrier2006 - 2010-01-02

davilla Wrote:It's an X11 Xorg issue, see http://code.google.com/p/atv-bootloader/wiki/atvdisplay for some xorg settings that might help.

Thank you. I have been looking into this over the past couple of days and I can now see the screen without distortion however XBMC doesnt start and displays the following error.

"XBMC needs hardware accellerated openGL rendering install an appropriate graphics driver"

Any thoughts am I missing something in the xorg.conf file?

On a side note will running XBMC in linux be needed to take advantage of the Crystal HD Card on the Apple TV in the near future?

- randywaterhouse - 2010-01-02

happy new year to everyone!
this morning I finally installed my broadcom card, which had been lying around on my desk for some time now and created the usb stick to boot the ubuntu image with the crystal hd branch and oh lord...it is beautiful! I don't know why I waited for so long, all my MKV's play smoothly with 5.1 sound, I love it! kudos to Davilla, cck197 and everyone else on the team, and thank you, thank you, thank you, this is really awesome!
now I'm waiting patiently for the official CrystalHD branch XBMC release... Smile

- goon - 2010-01-03

I searched for a while and I couldnt find the answer to my questions so I figured I'd ask.

1. As I understand it there is no hdmi audio right now, right?

2. how do I ssh into the atv after it boots from the usb linux stick?

- nikiiv - 2010-01-03

Does some one have a problem with the sound? I cannot hear a thing..

- nerpissad - 2010-01-03

goon Wrote:I searched for a while and I couldnt find the answer to my questions so I figured I'd ask.

2. how do I ssh into the atv after it boots from the usb linux stick?

1. I think I've read people being successful with audio over HDMI and analog
2. in terminal do:
ssh xbmc@<ip address of appleTV>
and then enter password : xbmc

- raydevos - 2010-01-03

goon Wrote:I searched for a while and I couldnt find the answer to my questions so I figured I'd ask.

No HDMI sound with the version of nvidia drivers for linux used in this usb key. Note that the hdmi sound is working with other versions, but it seems it will not work with the current crystal HD drivers. I suppose this will change very soon.

- nikiiv - 2010-01-03

I am researching HDMI sound issue
Turns out that one need 1.0.21 alsa drivers and older 100.xx nvidia driver
Here comes the funny part, nvidia GPU in atv is supposed to be underclocked, however underclocking works for versions which do not support HDMI sound.
Speaking about this, @cck197 is GPU underclocked in this USB key if how and where
Right now I am updating the alsa package, will update my post later with results
------------------
after alsa upgrade dempod segfaulted and on next reboot the loader did not pick up and atv booted into osx
-----------------
I am giving up, will connect via optical pass-through and live happily aver after until gurus release native ATV version

- pin87a - 2010-01-03

I have hdmi audio working on my ATV. I did a hard drive install, but the process should be the same.

You will need to use the the following Nvidia driver: 100.14.23

Any earlier or later releases result in no hdmi audio output. Device shows up in alsamixer, is unmuted, but there is no output.
I tried a bunch of other versions under Hardy, Intrepid, Jaunty, and Karmic and was only able to get things working with 100.14.23.. which unfortunately only works with Hardy.

Code:
wget http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/100.14.23/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-100.14.23-pkg1.run
chmod a+x NVIDIA-Linux-x86-100.14.23-pkg1.run
sudo ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-100.14.23-pkg1.run

ALSA needs to be updated to 1.0.21 as well. To upgrade ALSA you need to upgrade all of the ALSA components.
This script makes the process easy, however for some reason it tries to install libavcodec which is unnecessary and fails under Hardy. Quick fix for that is deleting line 184 in the script.

When all is said and done hdmi audio works perfectly, except if the TV (or receiver) is off or on another source when the Apple TV is booted up.
Anyways, if you have the option.. the optical out is much easier to setup and use.

As for underclocking the GPU, the only nvidia driver that supports hdmi audio output doesn't contain underclocking functionality so we are kinda screwed on that end too. More info here.

- davilla - 2010-01-03

pin87a Wrote:As for underclocking the GPU, the only nvidia driver that supports hdmi audio output doesn't contain underclocking functionality so we are kinda screwed on that end too. More info here.

You don't need to underclock the GPU for crystalhd usage, that was only needed when using nvidia XvMC mpeg2 hw decode which XBMC does not support in the first place.