Kodi Community Forum
XBMC CrystalHD branch on a USB stick - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: XBMC CrystalHD branch on a USB stick (/showthread.php?tid=64634)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

- yzeyze - 2010-01-05

TeknoJnky Wrote:How many others would be interested in an appletv specific arch (or ubuntu if arch not possible) linux minimal + xbmc + crystalhd/bcm image (or script/howto) ?

That would be fantastic.
Particularly if usb hub and usb DVD could work as well.
(it's very fiddly on standard ATV software)

- goon - 2010-01-05

I'm trying to use component cables but I cant find where this is. How do I get to it?(x11/xorg.conf)

cj43 Wrote:I was able to get 1080i over component by using the /etc/X11/xorg.conf settings sDavilla has here. I used the one from section b and changed the HD480i to HD1080i. Please note it does go to a black screen for a couple minutes before xbmc shows up. Hopefully it will work for you also.

- goon - 2010-01-05

I found it at root/etc/x11/xorg.conf but I get a permission denied when I try to write to it.

- TeknoJnky - 2010-01-05

goon Wrote:I found it at root/etc/x11/xorg.conf but I get a permission denied when I try to write to it.

try sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf

make sure you back it up first...

sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.config.someuniquebackupname

- pin87a - 2010-01-05

TeknoJnky Wrote:I tried installing that driver all I get is a blank screen that dumps to tty1.

I can do the following and then I get pink desktop (or hard lock up) but when I reboot I start at tty1 again.

I tried envyng and got the drivers removed and got the default desktop again, then used the envyng auto install and it picked 173.14.12 drivers which seem to be working.

hdmi audio working on 173.14.12?

With the other drivers you should check Xorg.0.log to see what was stopping X from loading.
Probably a good idea to blacklist the regular ubuntu nvidia drivers to stop them from loading as well.
Add the following to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist:
Code:
blacklist nv
blacklist nvidia_legacy
blacklist nvidia_new

- sircube - 2010-01-05

TeknoJnky Wrote:How many others would be interested in an appletv specific arch (or ubuntu if arch not possible) linux minimal + xbmc + crystalhd/bcm image (or script/howto) ?

+1 vote here. Great idea!

- akg4y - 2010-01-05

Not sure if this would change anyone's mind, but the new Apple TV is set to be released sometime early/1st half 2010 and will have native 1080p support... while there is a lot of interest in this idea now it may wane significantly when that comes out. Im not sure how much work it is to develop something like this so just thought Id throw that out there.

- dan1son - 2010-01-05

akg4y Wrote:Not sure if this would change anyone's mind, but the new Apple TV is set to be released sometime early/1st half 2010 and will have native 1080p support... while there is a lot of interest in this idea now it may wane significantly when that comes out. Im not sure how much work it is to develop something like this so just thought Id throw that out there.

It is huh? That's funny... They've been about to release that for a few years now.

The ATV, as far as apple is concerned, works fine. It runs their interface quickly, plays their 720p content nicely, looks great, runs low power, etc. etc. There's no reason to assume they'll want to change anything.

After all you can't stream 1080p over the net with a high enough bitrate to make it look better than their current 720p stuff. At least most internet connections can't.

- davilla - 2010-01-05

akg4y Wrote:Not sure if this would change anyone's mind, but the new Apple TV is set to be released sometime early/1st half 2010 and will have native 1080p support... while there is a lot of interest in this idea now it may wane significantly when that comes out. Im not sure how much work it is to develop something like this so just thought Id throw that out there.

Nothing that I have seen nor heard shows any indication of the AppleTV being rev'ed. If anything, they will move to some PaSemi type arm processor and deeply embed hardware decoding similar to iPhone or the rumored iTablet. Once that happens, it's game over for running XBMC on it.

- akg4y - 2010-01-05

davilla Wrote:Nothing that I have seen nor heard shows any indication of the AppleTV being rev'ed. If anything, they will move to some PaSemi type arm processor and deeply embed hardware decoding similar to iPhone or the rumored iTablet. Once that happens, it's game over for running XBMC on it.

Thats a bummer.... guess I should get in line for the current Apple TV + CrystalHD as well. How long would you guestimate before the automated installers are available?

- Sam.Nazarko - 2010-01-05

@akg4y

Scott has told me that he plans to get some feedback first. Before he starts distributing binaries (and updating them every time he makes a revision), he would like to get some ideas as to how well CrystalHD for OSX is working.

In the future we will see compiled distributions, as well as installation from Launcher. This will just appear on the aTV as Launcher fetches it's downloads list dynamically (though there will probably be a Launcher update if there are any CrystalHD options in settings)

- Sam.Nazarko - 2010-01-05

davilla Wrote:Nothing that I have seen nor heard shows any indication of the AppleTV being rev'ed. If anything, they will move to some PaSemi type arm processor and deeply embed hardware decoding similar to iPhone or the rumored iTablet. Once that happens, it's game over for running XBMC on it.

There were Tablet rumours as early as '99. Supposedly the iSlate ("is late" hehe) will be announced on the 26th. Apple also owned the domain islate.com in 2007 for a small amount of time. Supposedly delays have been due to bad glass. Tommorow will be the day something might leak out of a press conference in Taiwan.

And yet. I'm still skeptical.

What this has to do with the original thread. I don't know Smile

- TeknoJnky - 2010-01-06

pin87a Wrote:hdmi audio working on 173.14.12?

sorry I should have been more specific, I didn't get hdmi working in either case, 100 or 173. I don't think I even attempted hdmi audio with 100 as I was trying (and failing) to figure out how to fix the boot/pink screen.

Quote:With the other drivers you should check Xorg.0.log to see what was stopping X from loading.
Probably a good idea to blacklist the regular ubuntu nvidia drivers to stop them from loading as well.
Add the following to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist:
Code:
blacklist nv
blacklist nvidia_legacy
blacklist nvidia_new

I'll check it out, but I'm almost to my limit of both frustratation and patience again (had to take a couple weeks off messing with it during the holidays).

I have not yet been able to replicate or improve upon the performance of cck197's original/updated image with my own clean install of 804 + latest bcm/xbmc compiles. I really want a straight up minimal atv hardisk install with the fastest possible boot and responsiveness.

But heck, I can't even get build-dep xbmc with the stable/svn ppa's to work right prior to svn and compiling locally on the atv.

Not to mention not having any luck on getting the hdmi/tv overscan issues figure out.

/rant off Eek

- JerryV - 2010-01-06

Can someone give me a hint on how to resize the main partition of the distro?
I've installed it on a 500gb hard drive, would be a shame not to use the remaining 496gb.. I've tried Gparted but it won't do it for me.. No

- TeknoJnky - 2010-01-06

@ JerryV I did some research into that myself and it looked like a whole lot of work and risk.

What I ended up doing at one point was to pre-partition and format the internal drive the way I wanted (according to atv-bootloader partitioning guide).

I then had 2 usb sticks, one was plain atv-bootloader (that I used to format the internal drive) and on the other had a working running cck197's image (not the image file itself, but the actual running installation).

Using a 4 port usb hub, I booted with the atv-bootloader, got logged in (remotely since my screen is too far overscanned to read the top/left/bottom), inserted the 2nd usb stick with the installed ubuntu, mounted both the 2nd stick and the internal drive, then used cp -a (I think it was cp -a) to straight copy all the files from working stick to the internal drive partition I had pre-formatted.

this worked great until I attempted to do my own clean install lol