Kodi Community Forum
XBMC CrystalHD branch on a USB stick - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: XBMC CrystalHD branch on a USB stick (/showthread.php?tid=64634)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

- JerryV - 2010-01-06

@TeknoJnky Sorry to hear that..
Thanks for the tip I'll make an attempt trying it your way..

- ewequeone - 2010-01-06

glad to see I'm not the only one who is frustrated at this issue Smile

TeknoJnky Wrote:Not to mention not having any luck on getting the hdmi/tv overscan issues figure out.

- ritalin - 2010-01-06

TeknoJnky Wrote:How many others would be interested in an appletv specific arch (or ubuntu if arch not possible) linux minimal + xbmc + crystalhd/bcm image (or script/howto) ?

absolute minimal linux server supporting;
boot directly to xbmc, no x desktop etc
latest crystalhd drivers/lib/etc
working hdmi audio (nv 100/alsa 1.0.21)
evinyatar's atvclient
ssh/smb services
any necessary tweaks/optimizations (cpufreq, etc)
ability to update and compile from svn with all necessary dependancies
support both usb stick and internal drive installation

And would anyone have the expertise, time and patience to support and perfect it?

I am extremely interested in this. I am currently using the USB img in this thread but that kills the ability for me to run hamachi and join up with all the other machines I have streaming media. I need to be running linux to accomplish this. If you build it, they will come and I will help in bug testing it.

- tintamarre - 2010-01-06

TeknoJnky Wrote:How many others would be interested in an appletv specific arch (or ubuntu if arch not possible) linux minimal + xbmc + crystalhd/bcm image (or script/howto) ?

Count me in too. Smile

- grey - 2010-01-06

if you'll make it transmission or rtorrent there - count me in, too!

- dongioia - 2010-01-06

absolute minimal linux server supporting;
boot directly to xbmc, no x desktop etc
latest crystalhd drivers/lib/etc
working hdmi audio (nv 100/alsa 1.0.21)
evinyatar's atvclient
ssh/smb services
any necessary tweaks/optimizations (cpufreq, etc)
ability to update and compile from svn with all necessary dependancies
support both usb stick and internal drive installation

And would anyone have the expertise, time and patience to support and perfect it?

I'm waiting my broadcom device. Then you can count on me as a beta tester.
I'd like to have a set top box capable of everything xbmc just does, plus satellite tv.
I already set a VDR server, and I'm testing tvheadend.
To use xbmc as VDR client it's necessary to patch it. Instead tvheadend uses the htps protocol, which is supported by the latest xbmc.

- tuckbodi - 2010-01-06

Yeah, I'd dig this too. I've done a similar hack to my Western Digital TV to get network access to my Mac mini media server. The WDTV boots off a small thumbdrive and everything works great. When/if I need to boot back into the original firmware, I just unplug the thumbdrive and power up. Works great and I'd love to see my AppleTV do the same thing! Thanks for doing this!

- crashnburn - 2010-01-07

tuckbodi Wrote:Yeah, I'd dig this too. I've done a similar hack to my Western Digital TV to get network access to my Mac mini media server. The WDTV boots off a small thumbdrive and everything works great. When/if I need to boot back into the original firmware, I just unplug the thumbdrive and power up. Works great and I'd love to see my AppleTV do the same thing! Thanks for doing this!

ritalin Wrote:I am extremely interested in this. I am currently using the USB img in this thread but that kills the ability for me to run hamachi and join up with all the other machines I have streaming media. I need to be running linux to accomplish this. If you build it, they will come and I will help in bug testing it.

Very interesting scenarios..

- banan - 2010-01-07

Just found this thread, and it has some good reading for XBMC on ubuntu.

But, shouldn't it be moved to the Linux forums? XBMC for OSX and AppleTV forums was
not the place I would expect to find a Ubuntu thread, regardless of the hardware..

- The Spirit - 2010-01-07

i would like to see it to.
tried the one on the first page (without crystal at the moment) and everything worked fine except the audio over hdmi.

- ^tWiSt^ - 2010-01-07

How to copy the image from a OSX 10.6 box to the usb stick?

sorry for the dumb question but i don't have a linux box right now Oo

- g00f - 2010-01-09

I'll give this a shot for you, this is what I did;

- install the USB Stick, use Disk Utility to find the USBStick/Disk, and unmount any mounted volumes.

- open a terminal, navigate to your download (from the 1st post)

- run this script in the terminal

Code:
bzcat xbmc_crystalhd_r25841_hardy.img.bz2 | sudo dd if=/dev/stdin of=/dev/disk2 bs=4096

Assuming your USB Stick is /dev/disk1 which you can find out in the Disk Utility

I had to add a password to my account to allow the sudo command to work.

- Bender222 - 2010-01-13

id love a full hd install version of techjunky's idea

- ngok - 2010-01-14

Is there any new version builds for this branch?the official builds need glibc 2.8 so can not run under ubuntu 8.04.

Update XBMC version and CrystalHD driver - abko - 2010-01-17

I am relatively new to XBMC as well as to this forum, so please forgive me for questions already answered. I tried to search through the forum but did not find the answers. My ATV is equipped with the CrystalHD card. I am running the USB Live version from this thread, mainly since I am one of the people who likes 1080p to be working.
Can someone direct me to instructions on how to update XBMC to the latest nightlies as well as to the latest CrystalHD driver? My own attempts so far were not successful.
I hope this will solve some issues I have in playing back 1080p content.
It would be great if apt-get could be configured to upgrade to future versions later.